Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/BirdRespecter/status/1258096381375348736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
why is the ninntendo thing thats been out for over a year a) wanted and b) sold out

whos buying it? because nintendo said they were going to do hentai games?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
the holy grail of Animal Crossing hit right when everyone started being quarantined in their homes so assholes went 'boy i can gently caress over people who want entertainment during a lockdown and make a quick buck'

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

why is the ninntendo thing thats been out for over a year a) wanted and b) sold out

whos buying it? because nintendo said they were going to do hentai games?

Because people who have had active social lives are now finding themselves stuck at home, and are turning to video games for something to do.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i've been staring at walls
its relaxing

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Minnesota is set to become the third state to completely ban underage marriage in all circumstances.

https://www.willmarradio.com/news/gov-walz-to-consider-bill-to-ban-underage-marriage/article_0b260628-904c-11ea-be00-f337abd84cb0.html

It's surprising how many states still allow it and how much it still happens. Glad to see my home state pass this.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/GarethFouche/status/1259144824202170368

got any sevens posted:

its relaxing

:same: I get all my good thinking done this way. I'm starting to not care even if anyone can see me do it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

got any sevens posted:

its relaxing

Post lunch naps every day are my new reality and I'm not going back. This is the way we were meant to live. I eat a big lunch on the balcony in the sun and then sleep it off on the couch. Kings don't have it this good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Inceltown posted:

I'm not sure that costco wholesale is an official brand account.

impersonating corporate accounts and ripping on rear end in a top hat customers is an entire genre of Twitter comedy

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-12/stranded-super-rich-confront-tax-chaos-after-pandemic-lockdowns

quote:

Super-Rich Stranded by Lockdowns Face Higher Tax Bills
By Benjamin Stupples and Devon Pendleton
May 12, 2020, 3:00 AM EDT Updated on May 12, 2020, 11:59 AM EDT
Some face higher taxes from spending too many days abroad
Countries apply different tests for assessing tax residency

Mark Davies is used to flying around the world, typically visiting Geneva and Monaco every month in his work as a tax adviser for the super-wealthy.

Now he’s sequestered at home in southwest London because of the coronavirus pandemic, which is wreaking havoc on his business and the tax plans of his clients similarly accustomed to globetrotting.

“The pandemic means we’ve now got people stuck in the U.K. who didn’t intend to be here, and people who did want to be here that couldn’t,” he said. “It’s gone both ways.”

As nations have closed borders, some individuals are confronting unexpectedly complex tax situations. These include the prospect of higher levies from spending too many days in a foreign locale, or having to shelve plans to obtain tax breaks by moving abroad.

It’s not just international travel that poses tax risks. The question of tax complications also looms for the thousands of people in the U.S. who’ve crossed state lines to hunker down in vacation homes or with in-laws.

Tax Residency
Australia, the U.K. and Singapore have issued guidelines to ease concerns about tax residency for individuals trapped because of the virus, but they’re far from fail-safe guarantees. And even as the U.S. and Europe follow Asian nations in phasing out lockdown restrictions, the prospect of global travel returning to pre-pandemic levels remains well in the future.

“It’s not coming to an end any time soon,” said Simon Goldring, a London-based partner at law firm McDermott Will & Emery. “There’s going to be people stuck in different jurisdictions who inadvertently become residents there.”

Spending more than six months in a country typically makes someone a tax resident, although the location of permanent homes and family links, travel histories and income sources are also factors. Determining tax residency is complicated -- even more so when each nation applies different criteria.

Nations also have tax pacts with other countries that override domestic laws and would apply to residency disputes in the absence of pandemic provisions. Resolving tax issues from the coronavirus will be a stressful and costly process for some. Goldring said he moved one client across Italy and France this year to ensure they didn’t exceed the U.K.’s residency thresholds.

IRS Scrutiny
There are thousands, “if not tens of thousands” of people, stranded in the U.S., many of whom face a thicket of additional tax scrutiny from the Internal Revenue Service, said Paul Sczudlo, an attorney on Withersworldwide’s private client team.

Ordinarily, foreigners can spend up to 183 days in the U.S., counted either in a single year or over the course of three using a weighted-average formula, before they’re required to pay income tax.

The IRS extended the threshold by an additional 60 days last month, but even that might not be enough to shield people who arrived in the fall or early winter from other states and haven’t been able to return home.

Business owners who find themselves unable to leave the country and become de facto tax residents will be on the hook for U.S. corporate income tax on any foreign company in which they own a majority.

“There’s a very wide range of possible impacts on families,” Sczudlo said. “It could affect retirement accounts, trust and estate arrangements.”

At minimum, they’ll face a mountain of additional paperwork to ensure they’re adequately disclosing holdings, he said. Failing to do so risks potentially large fines, calculated as a percentage of assets for certain entities.

New York, for example, considers anyone who spends more than 183 days in the state a resident and therefore obligated to pay its comparatively steep income tax.

New York hasn’t issued official guidance about how it plans to treat out-of-state virus refugees, but accountants are advising not to hold out hope for leniency. When Hurricane Sandy devastated houses in the tristate area in 2012, many people moved temporarily into New York City apartments to wait out reconstruction and were taxed accordingly.

‘All Stuck’
The pandemic has also thwarted plans of those hoping to relocate this year to a country with lower taxes. In the past, tycoons including steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal and Daily Mail owner Viscount Rothermere have made use of U.K. tax exemptions on overseas earnings in exchange for an annual charge.

Davies has helped wealthy individuals move to Britain from Spain, France and Latin America, but that part of his business is now stalling.

“They’re all stuck,” he said. “They’re all saying: ‘We’re going to wait and see.’”

When nations reopen their borders, the wealthy may face even more tax trouble from governments looking to recoup the economic costs of a virus that’s heightening global concerns over inequality.

Read more: Election Risk Swells as Wall Street Warns on Tax Cut Reversal

“Taxes are only going to go one way -- up,” said Menna Bowen, a partner at law firm Gunnercooke and tax adviser to Blu Family Office. “Someone has to pay for all of this.”

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/slavetothehat/status/1259978637266366465

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Navajo and Hopi Relief GoFundMe posted another update. And make sure to read the comments on the donations

https://www.gofundme.com/f/NHFC19Re...-supporters-v5b

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inceltown posted:

Killing a lot of mosquitoes is BAD. So much of the food chain relies on them the knock on effects is catastrophic. Stopping malaria is pretty good though.

nah, that's been looked into. Mosquitoes actually do jack poo poo for the food chain, they don't pollinate a lot and aren't a significant fraction of the die for any particular species, if we got rid of all of the mosquitoes there wouldn't be a huge change, let alone getting rid of the 1% that carry diseases

also I think cspam is generally in favor of getting rid of the parasitic 1%

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People are starting to make homemade laboratory glove boxes so they can physically interact with their family during quarantine:

https://i.imgur.com/xsFa7Og.mp4

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this person is a fox news nutter

e: they also employed a media company to sell rights to the videos of this, likely without compensating the fedex guy

Lutha Mahtin has issued a correction as of 03:41 on May 13, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Not one of us is free from sin. We take our happy from where it lays in these troubled times.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

happy is paying the guy who did the good thing

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I hope the Fedex guy got their bonus

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1260617176291008512?s=20

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Not so much happy as soothing, but I was just doing some tidying and I came across this youtube. A guy using magic technology restored and 4k's very old films. I've been watching this for a few minutes: it's shot from a trolly.

San Fransisco, April 14, 1906 a Trip down Market Street

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
dang thats a classic vid, havent watched in awhile
looks great

that ohio unemployment thing is baller :dukedoge:

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 23:00 on May 13, 2020

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Working Class Hero

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

Not so much happy as soothing, but I was just doing some tidying and I came across this youtube. A guy using magic technology restored and 4k's very old films. I've been watching this for a few minutes: it's shot from a trolly.

This is stunning. :stare: Holy poo poo that's incredible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is stunning. :stare: Holy poo poo that's incredible.

Yeah, I saw it a while ago but having it in 4K is fuckin raaaaaaad.

Just seeing it with sound and at realistic speed was the coolest loving thing, not to mention the pure atmospheric immersion of it all, it's not showing you anything specific, it's just "hey you know Market Street right? Well what about Market Street MINUS ONE HUNDRED YEARS". Almost unheard-of in period media, just to get what amounts to 12 uninterrupted minutes of urban dashcam footage is like the greatest thing I've ever seen

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, I saw it a while ago but having it in 4K is fuckin raaaaaaad.

Just seeing it with sound and at realistic speed was the coolest loving thing, not to mention the pure atmospheric immersion of it all, it's not showing you anything specific, it's just "hey you know Market Street right? Well what about Market Street MINUS ONE HUNDRED YEARS". Almost unheard-of in period media, just to get what amounts to 12 uninterrupted minutes of urban dashcam footage is like the greatest thing I've ever seen

The biggest thing for me is like "Let's do this with everything". Think of what we could learn! And it would also be cool as gently caress to watch.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it’s one of the reasons to scoff at folks grumpy about how people nowadays are always taking pics and recordings on their phones, yeah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is why lately my big guilty time-wasting hobby is to just gently caress around at random on Google Earth. Because it now has 3D imagery in like a majority of urban areas around the world, and tons of placemarks for monuments, restaurants, shops, parks, mountains — everything. Each one has up to 20 photos contributed by random people just carrying phones and taking candid pictures. So I find myself using those photos for this kind of immersion, to find out as much as I possibly can about places in the world that I'll probably never go but I want to know better than "a name in a book I read once". I want to know what, like, pizza looks like in Belgrade. I want to know what a bakery in Yangon offers. I'm finding out poo poo there's a street in downtown Tegucigalpa that's as lined with TGI Fridays and Burger Kings as any city in the US, and Mérida is a gigantic Phoenix-esque grid of suburban homes with hardly any zone differentiation. You can put yourself right there and give yourself as close to the same experience as any local person might have going in and ordering food as has ever been possible, just because people like taking pictures of their dinner with their phones. It fuckin owns

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Data Graham posted:

This is why lately my big guilty time-wasting hobby is to just gently caress around at random on Google Earth. Because it now has 3D imagery in like a majority of urban areas around the world, and tons of placemarks for monuments, restaurants, shops, parks, mountains — everything. Each one has up to 20 photos contributed by random people just carrying phones and taking candid pictures. So I find myself using those photos for this kind of immersion, to find out as much as I possibly can about places in the world that I'll probably never go but I want to know better than "a name in a book I read once". I want to know what, like, pizza looks like in Belgrade. I want to know what a bakery in Yangon offers. I'm finding out poo poo there's a street in downtown Tegucigalpa that's as lined with TGI Fridays and Burger Kings as any city in the US, and Mérida is a gigantic Phoenix-esque grid of suburban homes with hardly any zone differentiation. You can put yourself right there and give yourself as close to the same experience as any local person might have going in and ordering food as has ever been possible, just because people like taking pictures of their dinner with their phones. It fuckin owns

Hah I do the same.

I like to go to random rear end ends of things like the northern most point of some big Japanese island, or find some mountain lake in China that has a road nearby and zoom in and find that it's a big tourist spot and people post all kinds of photos etc. It's a fun thing to do now and then.

The other night I just did street view of some random place in Kazakhstan just kinda strolling around looking at stuff. It was very neat.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Nebakenezzer posted:

loving awesome

at about 30 seconds a guy crossing the road hops into someone else's cart, they exchange pleasantries, and he just rides along.

thank you.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
im having the hardest time with that Market Street video because my brain keeps wanting me to think that these people are actors on a set, like the long intro to some movie or something, because everything looks so clear.

It's really loving cool.

e: and everyone's so animated and everything so orderly-chaotic

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
the number of people almost hit by a car or horse is nerve wracking.
it doesn't help that there at least one jack the ripper in every frame.
old timey cops are hilarious but considerably bigger than most people

edit: this video is 16 years older than my grandmother

InsertPotPun has issued a correction as of 14:29 on May 14, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Shere posted:

im having the hardest time with that Market Street video because my brain keeps wanting me to think that these people are actors on a set, like the long intro to some movie or something, because everything looks so clear.

It's really loving cool.

e: and everyone's so animated and everything so orderly-chaotic
There are parts that are staged - if you look, the same cars kinda circle around the streetcar.

Still amazing though. Just incredible, to glimpse life that far back in such detail.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
https://youtu.be/R5i9k7s9X_A

this is Berlin shortly after the war ended.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

dwarf74 posted:

There are parts that are staged - if you look, the same cars kinda circle around the streetcar.

Still amazing though. Just incredible, to glimpse life that far back in such detail.
i don't think it was staged, i think there were gawkers. it's a primitive google car
watching that footage all i can think about is just how many deaths it took until they first, on their own, started teaching traffic safety in school and still it took YEARS until they started rudimentary traffic laws (which were, of course, biased against the walking class)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

InsertPotPun posted:

i don't think it was staged, i think there were gawkers. it's a primitive google car
watching that footage all i can think about is just how many deaths it took until they first, on their own, started teaching traffic safety in school and still it took YEARS until they started rudimentary traffic laws (which were, of course, biased against the walking class)

What it makes me think of is that despite how quickly it looks like cars became popularized when you look at it in a history book, what we see in that video is a world in which cars and horse-drawn buggies have been coexisting for a decade or more, both moving at a walking pace because why would you go any faster, and everybody has developed their daily routines revolving all around them. You've got errand boys slipping in and out between cars and trams, guys in top hats stepping off car sideboards and threading their way across the street timing it so they pass behind a car just as it passes by a goods cart and opens up a path, etc. It's just normal, daily city life and what has been that way for years.

Another decade and those cars would be routinely moving like 10mph faster than they are in the video and the horses would be all gone, but it would have developed so slowly and gradually to that point that it's a whole street full of frogs who have been in the slowly warming water for so long that probably most of them would react angrily to the idea that anything needed to be changed or made safer. It's just fine! Always has been, always will be!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

InsertPotPun posted:

There's a wikipedia article about this footage, fwiw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_Down_Market_Street

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

dwarf74 posted:

There's a wikipedia article about this footage, fwiw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Trip_Down_Market_Street
i don't understand why they don't even know when it was filmed? like...it was released in theaters. did no one write that bit down??

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

InsertPotPun posted:

i don't understand why they don't even know when it was filmed? like...it was released in theaters. did no one write that bit down??

What do you mean? It was filmed four days before the 1908 earthquake.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mycomancy posted:

What do you mean? It was filmed four days before the 1908 earthquake.

Sure, but we have no idea when that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The 1908 earthquake was actually in 1905, a common misconception. It was named for a former mayor or alcalde of San Francisco, Don Hernán 1908