Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solidarityforever
May 11, 2020

I will never jeopardize the beans
broke: chapo clones talking about wine with a window dressing of marxism
woke: chop shop economics going on the wild ride on the rollercoaster of doomsday economics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

What happened to your old parents. You couldn’t get a coffee maker from your new ones?

the state wont tell me where they are

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

menaker throwin shade at felix re fortnite: "only children play it" lmao shade

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The new Chapo about Donziger is just loving unbelievable. It is just so depressing.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The new Chapo about Donziger is just loving unbelievable. It is just so depressing.

This is unreal. I hope the latter half of the episode had some choice riffs or I'm gonna be down all day.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
this trueanon interview is raw, also kinda eye opening on the, i dunno, socialite class(?); the way she mentions sponsors are a common thing in art world

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

this trueanon interview is raw, also kinda eye opening on the, i dunno, socialite class(?); the way she mentions sponsors are a common thing in art world

if you know anyone in the socialite/high art world, her being compelled to name drop and effusively complement someone every 15 seconds even when they're not tangentially relevant to the story is very familiar, as is epstein and ghislaine collecting lesser artists and creatives like pets and making them semi-paid houseworkers and personal assistants as well as extracting some kind of compulsory friendship from them. its why in any crime/reality involving millionaires and celebs theres always a half dozen d-list witnesses in effective servitude at their mansion

absolutely bizarre and cruel story and world. even before the sex crimes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

it's brazen and maddening. everytime I think I have a grasp on the hollowness of justice in the modern world I get revealed as a credulous baby

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

the way she mentions sponsors are a common thing in art world

and has been for a very long while, but there was a certain ethics about it that no longer apply because capitalism I guess, or might be far intensified in places like the USA

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I do like the description of us entering the Cool Zone

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
what book was nick talking about something german jews invented to make fun of russian jews?

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Our Crowd: The Great Jewish Families of New York lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

if you know anyone in the socialite/high art world, her being compelled to name drop and effusively complement someone every 15 seconds even when they're not tangentially relevant to the story is very familiar

This definitely reinforced the fact that she was completely immersed in that world (and seemingly came from it, studying art in ~the south of france~ and all that) and made her portrayal of events more compelling for me.

One thing that really strikes me as strange, though, and I almost don't want to talk about it given the semi-public nature of these forums and her position as an accuser, but why did she have those semi-nude photos in the first place? (spoiled as it's kind of a big "reveal" in her interview) That seems fairly creepy to me, but I'm not a rich socialite artist so what do i know.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Honest Thief posted:

what book was nick talking about something german jews invented to make fun of russian jews?

I want to say "The Power Broker", possibly by Robert Caro.

edit: Although that might not be it.

:shrug:

prefect has issued a correction as of 17:33 on May 12, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i haven't listened yet but if you're an *~*artist**~* and an attractive woman and you want to "make it" i magjne the pressures, subconscious or otherwise must be enormous.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hooplah posted:

This definitely reinforced the fact that she was completely immersed in that world (and seemingly came from it, studying art in ~the south of france~ and all that) and made her portrayal of events more compelling for me.

One thing that really strikes me as strange, though, and I almost don't want to talk about it given the semi-public nature of these forums and her position as an accuser, but why did she have those semi-nude photos in the first place? (spoiled as it's kind of a big "reveal" in her interview) That seems fairly creepy to me, but I'm not a rich socialite artist so what do i know.

she admired the guy who painted Little Miss Pink Tomato, maybe they were studies for similar works

that painting is sfw and is probably intended to be extremely unsettling but don't google it if you're sensitive

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

prefect posted:

I want to say "The Power Broker", possibly by Robert Caro.

edit: Although that might not be it.

:shrug:
it is in fact the power broker, there’s a part in the first chapter (Lines of Succession) that describes how established german jews invented the term to refer to new jewish immigrants from russia, it’s at the very start of page 31.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

she admired the guy who painted Little Miss Pink Tomato, maybe they were studies for similar works

that painting is sfw and is probably intended to be extremely unsettling but don't google it if you're sensitive

right! thats probably an important detail. possibly her interest in young women as an artistic subject could be related to epstein's interest in her

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://theanalysis.news/ has leo panitch on today, check it out

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Finally, one of the podcasts is doing something thread relevant

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1260002085564821510?s=19

love that doofy face on that one guy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hooplah posted:

because artists tend to be weird eccentric people

and even though they probably wanted to ignore her for power reasons, that probably made her just as easy to dismiss for investigators

which also worries me about that episode

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

crepeface posted:

it's brazen and maddening. everytime I think I have a grasp on the hollowness of justice in the modern world I get revealed as a credulous baby
i always love it when one of their stupid loving refineries blows up because their engineers are morons

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Hooplah posted:

There is no way of saying it without sounding creepy, but you would be surprised how many attractive influencer/socialite/entertainer/artist ladies have done modeling to some degree or another. It almost always involves nudes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MizPiz posted:

Finally, one of the podcasts is doing something thread relevant

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1260002085564821510?s=19

might have to get into the Horus Heresy stuff because this. Leslie has some amazingly bad takes on his own, but hordes of reactionary 40k fans who will undoubtedly be pissed off by his other, reasonable takes will make this extra special.

also, he should have read Ian Watson's Space Marine instead

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

might have to get into the Horus Heresy stuff because this. Leslie has some amazingly bad takes on his own, but hordes of reactionary 40k fans who will undoubtedly be pissed off by his other, reasonable takes will make this extra special

an amazing trolling effort comes to mind: an excellent, legit awesome space marine game, fantastic stuff. the catch is that is made by ZA/UM

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I feel like I'm trying to describe the Colour Out of Space when I try to parse whatever iconography is on their shoulderpads.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
https://twitter.com/GarlicCorgi/status/1260263526259740672?s=19

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I refuse to read “black Library” books and they seem like a cash grab that taunts an otherwise fun franchise

but who knows maybe they’re tolerable

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i've sometimes listen to 40k audiobooks on commutes or at work. it fills the same role for me as like a comedy podcast for when I want to turn off my brain but still listen to something

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Caiaphas Cain were the best 40k books avd deserves to be adapted into like a animated series or something. They've had me interested in reading the Harry Flashman books

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

might have to get into the Horus Heresy stuff because this. Leslie has some amazingly bad takes on his own, but hordes of reactionary 40k fans who will undoubtedly be pissed off by his other, reasonable takes will make this extra special.

also, he should have read Ian Watson's Space Marine instead

I don't think anybody is going to jump up to either defend or bash the Horus Heresy series. i think most 40k fans would acknowledge that HH has enough bad bits for "it sucks" to be a defensible position and enough good bits(for hardcore 40k fans) for "nah it's alright" to also be a defensible position

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I refuse to read “black Library” books and they seem like a cash grab that taunts an otherwise fun franchise

but who knows maybe they’re tolerable

Yeah some of them are good

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I regret reading the Horus Heresy books slightly less than Marcel Prousts "In Search of Lost TIme".
Damning with faint praise I know, but there you have it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Matt reading Debs is a balsam for the soul

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Although, I gotta say, the number of times "Throne!" shows up as a generic ejaculate in the Horus Heresy books like it does in the 40k books, despite the fact that during the Horus Heresy the Golden Throne hadn't even been completed yet and it's construction is one of the most securely kept secrets in the Emperium, to the point that the Emperor doesn't even tell the Primarchs, which literally is the most immediate cause of the whole loving Heresy is really annoying so yeah Hours Heresy books suck.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How the gently caress does the editor let that slip?! Multiple times, even?!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

There is no way of saying it without sounding creepy, but you would be surprised how many attractive influencer/socialite/entertainer/artist ladies have done modeling to some degree or another. It almost always involves nudes.

Maybe you didn't listen to the interview, but they were of her preteen/adolescent sister

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao

I was also curious about this question today

every other pod caster should be asking: "Where's Virgil?"

Virgil should be given access to a time machine

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I prefer Warhammer Fantasy. The Gotrek and Felix books are pulpy fun and the Drakenfels/Beasts in Velvet books are legit good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

of course the guy's got a Gritty avatar.