Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

i didn't (couldn't) get help from my parents to buy an apartment, can i give you poo poo for owning shares?

You must be rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Before Times posted:

the main privilege (for the current market at least) is not really in the house price itself; it's actually in the ability to save or inherit enough money to put a deposit down. My problem is not that I can't afford a mortgage, but that I can't afford a deposit. 100k (20% on a 500k very modest 2br unit in a middle ring suburb) will take me at least a decade to save for, assuming a fairly ok career trajectory, AND can stay at my new place (below market rent) long-term. 2+ decades if I never earn more than I do now.

We were looking at a long wait to save for a decent deposit, although being in Adelaide that was already a lot easier. We ended up going with Homestart, the state government lender that lets you borrow with a smaller deposit, but at the cost of a higher interest rate, without having to pay for LMI.

Let us buy sooner, and while we are adding on a few thousand extra a year that extra interest is still much less than we were paying on rent, so as long as we can refinance in 2-3 years after we've got a bit of equity in the property we would still come out about the same as if we waited to save the extra deposit.

Good plan we thought last year, so long as nothing happens in 2020 to make house values drop a lot. :gonk:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I'm sure loving that my property purchased a decade ago was at about 0% capital growth going into 2020....

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

We were looking at a long wait to save for a decent deposit, although being in Adelaide that was already a lot easier. We ended up going with Homestart, the state government lender that lets you borrow with a smaller deposit, but at the cost of a higher interest rate, without having to pay for LMI.

Let us buy sooner, and while we are adding on a few thousand extra a year that extra interest is still much less than we were paying on rent, so as long as we can refinance in 2-3 years after we've got a bit of equity in the property we would still come out about the same as if we waited to save the extra deposit.

Good plan we thought last year, so long as nothing happens in 2020 to make house values drop a lot. :gonk:

If SA continues with so few cases you’ll be fine.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland government to buy virgin

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

You must be rich

loving loaded mate

additional organs in my attempt to become an irl space marine don't come cheap

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

loving loaded mate

additional organs in my attempt to become an irl space marine don't come cheap

Can u spit acid?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tommu posted:

Can u spit acid?

not anymore, I used to be able to (and by that I mean had insane issues with reflux and would cough till I vomited bile).

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
You can afford property in Canberra without help but it'll be a ways out and not exactly the dream home

Capitalism working at max efficiency once again by convincing young people they want a brand new five bedroom mansion on the NSW border instead of a comfortable older three beddy in an inner suburb

My parents have a nice older Jennings home on a huge block and it's worth less than a new townhouse in the same suburb lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

not anymore, I used to be able to (and by that I mean had insane issues with reflux and would cough till I vomited bile).

Imperial Fist spotted.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

abigserve posted:

You can afford property in Canberra without help but it'll be a ways out and not exactly the dream home

All my former colleagues who work in Canberra live either in Yass or Goulburn, it's still ridiculously expensive to live in.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Knobb Manwich posted:

Imperial Fist spotted.

I bet he really loves a well maintained fortification

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I bought 70k in shares at the start of this year, with 40k of it on margin, so thats worked out well so far :waycool:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Imperial Fist in the streets, Deathguard in the sheets.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1260483567072825346?s=20

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm in for the popcorn when whatever airline emerges from Virgins ashes has more Australian ownership than Qantas.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Feds should nationalise it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Maybe they could rename it to the Queensland and Northern Territory something something.

hmm i'm almost there.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Before Times posted:

the main privilege (for the current market at least) is not really in the house price itself; it's actually in the ability to save or inherit enough money to put a deposit down. My problem is not that I can't afford a mortgage, but that I can't afford a deposit. 100k (20% on a 500k very modest 2br unit in a middle ring suburb) will take me at least a decade to save for, assuming a fairly ok career trajectory, AND can stay at my new place (below market rent) long-term. 2+ decades if I never earn more than I do now.

Yeah I don't know anybody my age (30ish) who's doing this single, you pretty much have to be in a couple to buy if you're an average-earning millennial.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Have you considered buying fewer avocados.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Cartoon posted:

I got my first Covid denier in person today. I won't go into the specifics but holy gently caress there is no vaccine for stupid.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

Too good an idea for this world, the deal will definitely get scuttled by their own party.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

go_banana posted:

I put an offer in recently and got accepted. I've decided to pull the plug because of the building and pest revealed too much work unfortunately. There is a fuckton of uncertainty out there but a lot of the jobs that have been lost were casuals and younger non-professionals, many of who aren't exactly in the market for a home anyway (not defending the growing gap between the rich and poor). 11% is stuff all if you're buying a PPOR and residing in it for 10+ years, you'd just ride it out. Go have a look at house prices, they're already lower than late last year. I can't see a 30%+ drop coming but I dont have a crystal ball. Besides, if house prices tank wouldnt the rest of our economy too?

There's a lot of luxury AirBNB type places on the market for half of what they would normally be worth, one of them looked like it was being offloaded at less than what it would've cost to build.

They're still north of a $1 million but it's nice to think that somewhere out there some rich gently caress is getting fisted by the current market.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

YES YES YES

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Imperial Fist in the streets, Deathguard all over the sheets.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

Yeah I don't know anybody my age (30ish) who's doing this single, you pretty much have to be in a couple to buy if you're an average-earning millennial.

No, you just need to move to areas that are super impractical.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I live on a one acre bushland oasis that was dirt cheap because it's next to a railway line and I'm hosed if I can hear the trains even before council paid to have double glazed windows installed in my house.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I live next to a train line that constantly ships coal and I'm definitely going to die from inhaling the dust.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I live next to a train line that constantly ships coal and I'm definitely going to die from inhaling the dust.

Yeah, forgot about that. Can't have everything, I guess.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

At least the coal will kill you quicker than the rest of us on this roasting planet.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Idgi

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don’t think governments should be allowed to buy people even if they’re virgins

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

BBJoey posted:

I don’t think governments should be allowed to buy people even if they’re virgins

chadya plibersek strikes again

i wonder how potentially buying an airline factors into their commitment to reduce government emissions

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
BP servos On The Run (OTR) just sued for $70million in wage theft.

quote:

Mr Young said OTR was initially a good company and provided shifts that suited his needs as a single father of two children with disabilities.

But, by the end of 2018, things had changed.

"It got harder and harder," he said. "More expected, more work placed onto me and nothing for it. Barely even a thank you."

Mr Young alleges he was required to work overtime before and after his shifts, and couldn't take allocated meal breaks.

"I got told, that's life. That's the way it is, it's the nature of the industry,"
he said.

"They tend to forget I'd been in the industry a long time and worked for a number of different companies. It's not the way it worked with those companies."

quote:

Another applicant, Aaron Furnell, said he was also unfairly classed as a trainee and not properly paid for a total of 746 hours of overtime.

Mr Furnell alleges he was asked by his employer at OTR to work "voluntary overtime".

Lawyers working on the case said the tactic was routinely used by the company to minimise wages.

They said workers were instructed by OTR to sign a "voluntary overtime" form on the commencement of their employment, which stated any overtime they worked was voluntary and as such paid at their respective ordinary rates of pay.

But it is alleged the company would then require employees to work overtime in line with its own staffing requirements, which included shifts on public holidays

My favourite part:

quote:

OTR will correct any payment errors brought to its attention.

Doing everything they can to steal tens of millions from their staff while overworking and intimidating them. Then putting the onus on them to discover all the money being stolen from them.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
OTR have form for poo poo like this already: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-03/on-the-run-convenience-store-under-scrutiny-for-trainee-loophole/6908684

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Megillah Gorilla posted:

BP servos On The Run (OTR) just sued for $70million in wage theft.

My favourite part:

Doing everything they can to steal tens of millions from their staff while overworking and intimidating them. Then putting the onus on them to discover all the money being stolen from them.

This is pretty standard. We backed our university into a corner and had them agree to do an audit of casual payments dating back to 2013 and they pretty much didn't even do it so slim chance you're going to get a franchised servo to bother looking at their extremely cooked books.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I always hear horror stories about 2nd party contractors to the point that I would never join one as they are all very likely very shady and only are in buisness by screwing over their for hire workforce and over valuing them to businesses so they get to keep a bigger cut

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/beneltham/status/1260407662291779584

https://www.nteu.org.au/covid-19/jobs_protection_framework

There's a bruhaha building around this - mostly around the NTEU Nationals acting unilaterally in regards to even considering putting pay cuts on the table for negotiation, let alone building it into a framework they're getting signed off on.

I am... unsure on my position. Sure, i'd hate to lose my pay, but if it does help to secure jobs, that'll be pretty great over all, the pay cut doesn't affect low-paid or casuals and has a requirement of university executives also signing up for a bigger pay cut.

I think I land on agreeing with Ben Eltham in this - sure it's not great but saving as many jobs as possible with what seems like robust processes for removing this framework when the COVID and international student crisis has passed seems good on the face of it?
I can understand the need for full throated disagreement with paycuts and sympathise with the position, but if it helps save tenuously employed and those lower on the totem pole, why not?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
God I hate Dutton so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Electric Wrigglies posted:

If they do the big reforms that Ken Henry wanted, it would probably change affordability a lot

~ tax cuts (company and salaries)
~ Eliminate stamp tax, replace with land tax
~ increase or broaden GST

Those three things combined would soon chop into the land affordability! Especially land tax but that is also the toughest one to work through.

E) and one thing that blew me away is the cost of building in Australia (not including land) - my sister reckons north of $250 k to build a house in Toowoomba? Cripes. Just helped build a (smallish two bedroom but with concrete deck for a roof, meets earthquake codes stricter than Aus) in another country for ~$30k AUD.

Any attempt to reduce house prices that affects everyone equally regardless of their circumstances is doomed to fail. The only way to reduce house prices is to make them unattractive as an investment.

As it stands the price of housing is determined by what people can pay. If you reduce the tax then the difference will immediately be eaten into by the seller.

Some things which would help are:
1)Taxing property you don't live in.
2)empty house tax
3)increasing tax load for additional owned properties (say 10% extra stamp tax for every property you already own)