Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lol that the papers just won over the "doves" with their powers to shape false reality and theyr just gonna nudge us all into even more mega death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bloody terrorist sympathisers

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It felt weird and depressing to be in a traffic jam today.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Communist Thoughts posted:

So the lockdown is just sort of ending anyway without us ever doing a proper one?

More or less.

The government never really wanted to enforce one in the first place - hense the half-arsed vague guidelines and complete reluctance to do anything until forced to - especially with Johnson getting it after his blasé "Oh yeah take it on the chin" poo poo.

And now they've had to temporarily enact policies completely against their ideology - because otherwise the economy would poo poo itself - they're eager for things to return to the status quo, so they can stop pretending to give a gently caress.

And shift the blame for the inevitable second wave on everyone else, but themselves and their complete disregard for human live over MAKE MONEY NUMBER BIGGER.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So the lovely timeline has given up, and we're now living in the one with Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DannyShawBBC/status/1260498956733353986

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lol that the papers just won over the "doves" with their powers to shape false reality and theyr just gonna nudge us all into even more mega death

But more people will buy papers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I wonder how much they'll still spend on the social distancing surveillance AI thing posted a few weeks back

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I start working again in two weeks, so I predict I'll be doing it for a week before the next lockdown is enacted amidst blind panic as everyone collapses with illness all at once.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah this is going to go "back to work" and then "gently caress it go back!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Curious how that's going to affect perception of the government when they have to keep flip flopping.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I start working again in two weeks, so I predict I'll be doing it for a week before the next lockdown is enacted amidst blind panic as everyone collapses with illness all at once.

My prediction is that it'll take about 3 weeks for enough new cases to work their way through the system to the point where it cab't be passed off as a statistical blip. After that, we'll probably see the messaging switch to "We expected cases to rise, but our fully prepared NHS heroes are up to the challenge". By the time enough pressure builds up for a full lockdown, we'll be in deep trouble.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Start getting that toilet paper in now, you'll thank me in the 'summer of the dirty arse' as it will come to be known.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dodging virus particles in the air like neo dodging bullets

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Where then? What little I keep seeing is them not doing their jobs, looking out only for themselves, constantly screwing over the people living in the country(Not just the UK, but all over the world), siphoning all the money for themselves and their mates, cutting services to the bone then blaming us for all the trouble thus caused whilst giving themselves or corporations massive bonuses that they will never give out or use for anything of any actual value, lowering education, paving over greenery, destroying health, killing everyone who's not their class or colour...And whenever anything somehow manages to get out, they defy all attempts and it dies. Never held to account, never hurt,. always laughing, never ever touched,

Where the gently caress is the good?

Just off the top of my head, Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell are not "in it for themselves". I work at Momentum with a bunch of people who are not "in it for themselves". I'm not in it for myself.

There exists a political infrastructure of good people doing good things, and it is the rich who try to make people believe it doesn't exist or is equally corrupt.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

justcola posted:

Start getting that toilet paper in now, you'll thank me in the 'summer of the dirty arse' as it will come to be known.

Leading into the Autumn of the Unwashed Taint, and the Winter of the Indelible Skidmark.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Comrade Fakename posted:

There exists a political infrastructure of good people doing good things, and it is the rich who try to make people believe it doesn't exist or is equally corrupt.

Partially by building a straw man that "the left" believe that Tories are the bad guys and Labour are the good guys, and those are the only teams in the game - but look at all these demonstrable bad guys on your team, what hypocrisy, guess all of politics is corrupt, look it's all broken and on the floor.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Skid

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Soylent Yellow posted:

My prediction is that it'll take about 3 weeks for enough new cases to work their way through the system to the point where it cab't be passed off as a statistical blip. After that, we'll probably see the messaging switch to "We expected cases to rise, but our fully prepared NHS heroes are up to the challenge". By the time enough pressure builds up for a full lockdown, we'll be in deep trouble.

they're going to be keeping a close eye on R and they'll take everything very seriously and shutdown again immediately if it goes above 1, which we'll know because of our comprehensive tracking and tracing which will quickly identify even the a/presymptomatic cases and give us an accurate, timely picture of how under control the vir...

lol they're just going to carry on only testing symptomatic people so we'll have to infer the current R from test results weeks down the line and rely on the massive error bars to say "well it might be above 1 but it might also be just below 1 so lets carry on doing nothing for a bit"

maybe if we ask the virus nicely it will tell us what R it's feeling today

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

Leading into the Autumn of the Unwashed Taint, and the Winter of the Indelible Skidmark.
Convert to Islam and wash your filthy taint without using toilet paper.

You can also do this without converting to Islam.

Bobstar posted:

Partially by building a straw man that "the left" believe that Tories are the bad guys and Labour are the good guys, and those are the only teams in the game - but look at all these demonstrable bad guys on your team, what hypocrisy, guess all of politics is corrupt, look it's all broken and on the floor.
*centrists enter and poo poo on the floor, claim to be the grownups*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How R you?

Also I have been reliably informed that washing you are filthy taint is how you catch the gay.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol the government can't even keep on top of its messaging on its loving google ads, but I'm sure they've got this pandemic thing covered

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
stay home, stay woke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bUg8wsgVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dQMHBy3NvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp7eSUU9oy8

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1260524377524916224

Children and teachers should be exposed to a deadly virus to save Boris from embarrassment.

Death Cult

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Pesky Splinter posted:

Winter of dicontaint.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

XMNN posted:

they're going to be keeping a close eye on R and they'll take everything very seriously and shutdown again immediately if it goes above 1, which we'll know because of our comprehensive tracking and tracing which will quickly identify even the a/presymptomatic cases and give us an accurate, timely picture of how under control the vir...

lol they're just going to carry on only testing symptomatic people so we'll have to infer the current R from test results weeks down the line and rely on the massive error bars to say "well it might be above 1 but it might also be just below 1 so lets carry on doing nothing for a bit"

maybe if we ask the virus nicely it will tell us what R it's feeling today

Gosh, i'm sure glad that measurable detection rates are tightly and immediately coupled to our behaviours. It'd be awful if you could wander around spreading the disease for an average of 8 to 14 days before you show any symptoms.

That would be really bad, wouldn't it?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I am become a person who just asks the Internet a thing because thinking about it is too hard (and my wife and I disagree). How long should I keep paying our childminder and cleaner I know for? We've not used either since last week of March. I am still media-free so I've literally no idea what support they are getting, and it feels both rude and basically cuntish to ask. They are both full-time self-employed, and continuing to not work for the forseeable future.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1260538070723633152

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you don't ask them then what you're essentially asking for is plausible deniability for the possibility of putting someone in hardship. Whereby if you don't ask you don't have to know whether you're doing it or not.

I would ask.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
looks like Boris has hosed up*

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...st-news-updates

quote:

28m ago
12:47
Guidance shows Starmer right and PM wrong about government claiming care home deaths 'very unlikely' until 12 March
At PMQs Boris Johnson claimed that Sir Keir Starmer was wrong to say that government advice was saying until 12 March that people in care homes were at little risk of coronavirus.

Here is the document. As you can see at the top, it says it was withdrawn on 13 March.

And here is the key quote.

This guidance is intended for the current position in the UK where there is currently no transmission of Covid-19 in the community. It is therefore very unlikely that anyone receiving care in a care home or the community will become infected.

For reference, this is what Starmer asked:

Until 12 March, the government’s own official advice was - and I’m quoting from it: “It remains very unlikely that people receiving care in a care home will become infected.” Does the prime minister accept that the government was too slow to protect people in care homes?

And Johnson replied:

No, Mr Speaker. And it wasn’t true the advice said that.

quote:

2m ago
13:14
Starmer asks Johnson to return to Commons to correct care home guidance error
Sir Keir Starmer written to Boris Johnson asking him to return to the Commons to correct the record about the coronavirus advice issued to care homes. (See 12.47pm.) In a letter Starmer said:

At this time of national crisis, it is more important than ever that government ministers are accurate in the information they give.

Given this, I expect you to come to the House of Commons at the earliest opportunity to correct the record and to recognise that this was official government guidance regarding care homes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ngs-on-covid-19

e:

quote:

This guidance is intended for the current position in the UK where there is currently no transmission of COVID-19 in the community. It is therefore very unlikely that anyone receiving care in a care home or the community will become infected. This is the latest information and will be updated shortly.

I guess the guidance states that it's for when there was no transmission in the community, which will probably be his get out

although, I'm pretty sure there must have been community transmission by the 13th of march

XMNN fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 13, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Let's see him wriggle out of that one

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

My friend works for HMRC doing operations around people dodging duty on fuel, booze and fags. His entire department has been retrained to deal with furlouugh-scheme fraud and they have been briefed to expect "an unprecendented level of criminal access" to a government scheme. Currently his whole team are just fielding queries from home and flagging anything they think is 'suspicious'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking to a neighbour yesterday (at sensible social distance) whose wife has been brought in to help with the ICU wards due to covid19 - apparently we've seen a dramatic reduction in people in critical condition, from multiple wards being packed with patients, to just four at last count.

So that was interesting, shows the measures currently in place work.

Good thing we're now undoing them! Luckily people I see while out walking the pooch all observe distancing and thank you for doing so.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Let's see him wriggle out of that one

Quoting this as for the incoming "ah well, nethertheless..."

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Friends, could you educate sadbrains about the North of England, what is happening there?

Exclusive: Virus persisting at higher rate in north of England: https://www.hsj.co.uk/coronavirus/exclusive-virus-persisting-at-higher-rate-in-north-of-england/7027621.article

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

My friend works for HMRC doing operations around people dodging duty on fuel, booze and fags. His entire department has been retrained to deal with furlouugh-scheme fraud
That's interesting to know...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

bornbytheriver posted:

Friends, could you educate sadbrains about the North of England, what is happening there?

Exclusive: Virus persisting at higher rate in north of England: https://www.hsj.co.uk/coronavirus/exclusive-virus-persisting-at-higher-rate-in-north-of-england/7027621.article

Oh good, Salford is badly affected. It's a good thing I don't live there or I'd be really hosed. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

bornbytheriver posted:

It's grim up North.