Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Got a question then since you’re noticing issues with your camera. (not being sarcastic here)

Does it do C-AF with any realistic utility outside of the the central PDAF square? Does tracking work at all if you initiate from the left or right edge of the viewfinder frame? Or does the focus just wobble back and forth in both situations? I don’t know anyone else with an X-T2x to compare mine to, but have always wondered about that.

I haven't done much filming with it, and only in manual, but I guess I can do some testing.

What do you expect the focus to be and what does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Welp it looks like I have been limited to B&H and only have one week to decide now.

Still needs to be under 1k and primarily for photo scanning.

Sony A7II is maybe my top contender because it is on sale right now
but they are out of stock.

Still mostly interested in the Fujitsu T30 after that. Since the A74 just came out and the Fujitsu T4 also just came out, I think that should drive the prices down further.

For Nikon and Canon, the range is so staggering. I know people like Canon glass but I have read Canon's aren't generally as good in low light and that Nikon has better weather sealing. Full disclosure, I plan on shooting photos in the desert, so that may be a big factor. I mentioned this stuff earlier in the thread but now I am really running out of time.

Frankly amazed the Canon EOS M50 is only 500$.

I want to get a kit with a decent lens and don't really want to guy things piecemeal mostly because I will be unemployed soon. I know some have recommended the OSS lens and that's part of thwat makes the Sony deal tempting.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I would not buy an a7ii, especially not to shoot with the kit lens. I hated the ergonomics and the low light performance will not be better than similarly priced fuji kits even though it is full frame.

If weather sealing isn't critical get an x-t30 and 18-55mm.

If weather sealing matters enough to pay for it and you really need to buy as a kit, you can get an fuji x-t3 and 16-80mm. B&H also offers this as a kit used for less, but you could also get a used x-t2 and 16-80mm or 16-55mm or weather sealed prime.

A budget friendly, sold as new kit, weather resistant option is the panasonic g85. It has a smaller sensor, but if you are just going to shoot with a kit lens worrying too much about low light performance is a little silly. And the body and kit lens are both stabilized and work together. There is also an updated g95 model.

Don't trust sale prices, do buy used or refurbished.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

I would not buy an a7ii, especially not to shoot with the kit lens. I hated the ergonomics and the low light performance will not be better than similarly priced fuji kits even though it is full frame.

If weather sealing isn't critical get an x-t30 and 18-55mm.

If weather sealing matters enough to pay for it and you really need to buy as a kit, you can get an fuji x-t3 and 16-80mm. B&H also offers this as a kit used for less, but you could also get a used x-t2 and 16-80mm or 16-55mm or weather sealed prime.

A budget friendly, sold as new kit, weather resistant option is the panasonic g85. It has a smaller sensor, but if you are just going to shoot with a kit lens worrying too much about low light performance is a little silly. And the body and kit lens are both stabilized and work together. There is also an updated g95 model.

Don't trust sale prices, do buy used or refurbished.

I like the Fuji's too but the XT3 is $1500 on B&H with no lenses. Not sure why the XT3 is sealed and the XT30 is not but the *0 models are cheaper for a reason I guess. That Panasonic is actually pretty cool but also relatively low megapixel, considering what I can get for other mirrorless cameras at the same pricepoint. Some are saying raw megapixel count doesn't matter as much as acuity / sharpness for photogrammetry but it has been experience that it has been both factors that make a good scan.
The Nikon 5300 was legendary for the AA and now the Nikon D850 has a similar reputation. I can't afford the D850 and the 5300 is too old. The 5600 doesn't have the same AA filter that the 5300 and is a little too old for me considering all the mirrorless stuff out. The Canons and Nikons - again - have a very wide range so it's a lot to sort through. I don't have a dog in the fight between Nikon vs. Canon so...

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
The x-t3 and weather sealed lens are $1600 used, but a used x-t2 and weather sealed prime is a lot less.

The a7ii is older than the d5600. And newest models don't make huge improvements in image quality, the money is better spent on a good prime lens if resolution is most important.

Pentax also have the k70 which similar to the d5600, but weather sealed, has stabilization, no aa filter, and had a high res multishot mode, but it wouldn't be on the top of my list.

Another alternative to the Fuji is getting a canon ef-m (like the m50) or Sony apsc (a6***) and one of the very sharp sigma f1.4 primes instead of a native lens, which would also be good for low light and is mildly sealed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For most of what you're doing, you won't need an X-T2 or X-T3. Spending more "just in case" is a good way to spend far too much money in photography. Especially since you've said your use case is mostly photogrammetry, so.

if you're in the desert, just make sure to avoid changing lenses outside and consider a good UV filter for protection for the front element. Generally the weatherproofing is for water, not so much dust, but dust and sand can be annoying as well.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

The x-t3 and weather sealed lens are $1600 used, but a used x-t2 and weather sealed prime is a lot less.

The a7ii is older than the d5600. And newest models don't make huge improvements in image quality, the money is better spent on a good prime lens if resolution is most important.

Pentax also have the k70 which similar to the d5600, but weather sealed, has stabilization, no aa filter, and had a high res multishot mode, but it wouldn't be on the top of my list.

Another alternative to the Fuji is getting a canon ef-m (like the m50) or Sony apsc (a6***) and one of the very sharp sigma f1.4 primes instead of a native lens, which would also be good for low light and is mildly sealed.

Actually that Pentax K70 looks pretty great. Why wouldn't it be at the top of your list? Other than smaller sensor size and sorta meh video I don't see anything that bad about it. Fully articulating screen might be a bonus too.

Definitely was looking at the Canon M50 for price. Was under the assumption that the Sony A7 line was better than the a6** cameras. Is that not the case?

The AA filter (or lack thereof?) in the Nikon 5300 made it the absolute choice for photogrammetry at the time. Wondering how I can figure out what current mirrorless cameras have the feature?

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Many newer cameras have no aa filter, or a very weak one. Not having one can cause moire, an ugly patterning in fine textures, like in cloth, but having one blurs out the finest detail. Fuji cameras use a different sensor technology to avoid the problem instead. The k70 doesn't have an aa filter but does have an aa filter simulation that you can turn on to deal with moire. (I believe the a7 ii does have aa filter, the d5600 does not.)

The newer a6*** cameras perform well, and any of the newer apsc cameras perform better than the a7 ii even for things that the larger sensor should matter for, like low light performance. One of the sigma f1.4 lenses and an a6**** body would outperform an a7ii and kit lens. I do not like the ergonomics on any of the sony cameras, and the more affordable models are pretty underwhelming.

The canon m line doesn't have as many native lenses (the kit lens does not have a great reputation like the fuji 18-55mm) but does have the sigma lenses, a pancake 22mm, and a wide angle zoom.

The pentax has a lot of good features and customization for the price range, but I'm not sure if any of the weather sealed lenses are decent. I would personally buy one before an apsc canon or nikon dslr, but mostly because canon/nikon don't offer many primes specifically for apsc (and I like pentax/ricoh). The other options are probably just better/friendlier systems to buy into.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have finally sold my 5D, X-T1 and A7II.

I am quite ready to upgrade to a Panasonic S1. It's the only name in town if you want regular sized mirrorless cameras.

The thing is that E-infinity sells the camera as grey market import for 1714€ and 1 year warranty. Finnish shops sell it for 2489€ and 3 year warranty.

So is it worth 774€ to get 2 more years of warranty?

My D80 and A7II both broke during warranty. So 50% of my digital cameras have broken during warranty.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've had very good luck with both panny and oly durability. The former being dropped into a creek and the EVF only got a bit foggy after everything dried out. If the s1 is weathersealed I think it'd be built well enough to not worry. Risk/reward though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've posted my olympus coated in mud and sweat and water and probably body fluids plenty more times than anyone here wanted

but yeah Oly durability is A+

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Oly is really good, I've also had my GH5 submerged in salt water up to the battery port for ~30 minutes during a partial casing flood while we were in decompression and it still has no problems. m43 weather sealing is no joke

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ihmemies posted:

I have finally sold my 5D, X-T1 and A7II.

I am quite ready to upgrade to a Panasonic S1. It's the only name in town if you want regular sized mirrorless cameras.

The thing is that E-infinity sells the camera as grey market import for 1714€ and 1 year warranty. Finnish shops sell it for 2489€ and 3 year warranty.

So is it worth 774€ to get 2 more years of warranty?

My D80 and A7II both broke during warranty. So 50% of my digital cameras have broken during warranty.

With Nikon, they won’t even touch a grey market camera, so I’d look into that if Panasonic has a similar policy. For me, that’s a deal breaker.

That being said, I’ve never ever had a digital camera break on me, so it’s your personal comfort level of assumed risk.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a grey market 5Div (from Hong Kong I guess, as it has a British plug on the battery charger), it only has a store warranty, and I can't register it on Canon Thailand for the Canon Pro Services bennies. I'm reasonably sure it won't break, and it was almost a grand cheaper than a legit import.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Depending on the model's track record I'd definitely do gray market if it meant $1,000 off on a brand new camera.

Or, if you're a cheapskate like me just buy your bodies used from KEH where everything has the same warranty!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was my calculus too. I figured I was buying an unused, 'used' camera.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The thing is that nobody in Europe is buying Panasonic FF cameras. Which means no one is selling them used either. I have to buy them new. I use only manual focus lenses so a good viewfinder is very important for me, so A7R IV and Panasonic S models are basically only options.

I tried out A7 IV earlier and the evf is insane compared to anything else I've ever used. Evf in S series should be the same.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Helen Highwater is saying that buying grey market was like buying a used camera, in the sense that there's no warranty, that no one had used before. For a grand off I'd probably do the same.

I mainly shoot manual lenses and didn't notice that much EVF difference between my Z6 and the S1 and S1H I rented.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, aren’t the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras (except the EOS RP) supposed to have better EVFs than the regular A7s? Are the Panasonic S EVF’s even better though?

At the time I was thinking I was getting one of the best EVF’s on the market with my X-T2, and it was at the time, but it’s been surpassed from what I hear. I’d like to try out one of the newer high-end FF EVF’s; the X-T2 is good but I can definitely see how there’d be room for improvement.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea the Z6 EVF is wonderful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I almost bought a Nikon Z instead of my a7iii on the EVF alone.

In the end I bought the Sony but ... I have to keep reminding myself never to look inside a Nikon EVF again or I’ll be disappointed.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The newest and best EVF I’ve ever peeped through is the one on my a7ii, and for now I’m happy to continue my benighted, blissfully ignorant existence.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, aren’t the new Nikon and Canon mirrorless cameras (except the EOS RP) supposed to have better EVFs than the regular A7s? Are the Panasonic S EVF’s even better though?

At the time I was thinking I was getting one of the best EVF’s on the market with my X-T2, and it was at the time, but it’s been surpassed from what I hear. I’d like to try out one of the newer high-end FF EVF’s; the X-T2 is good but I can definitely see how there’d be room for improvement.

Panasonic EVF is 1600x1200 120Hz. While Nikon & Canon have 1280x960 and probably 60Hz refresh rate since it isn't advertised anywhere.

A7II's 1024x768 was clearly not enough for me. I could not tell most of the time where the focus in the image was, while with A7R IV with the same lenses it was so much more easier. Maybe Sony was doing some extra mushing in the A7II's viewfinder, since it was just so poor. I was so frustrated with it every time I used the camera, although I have had no problems with MF with any film cameras after mounting a proper focusing screen.

I really hope the S1 can recapture the accuracy of an film era optical viewfinder. At least it can't be worse than the one in A7II.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Hi thread, looking for some used budget camera suggestions... My main focus is something that can double as a streaming camera using a capture card. I'm trying to stay under 400 , which I know is on the low end but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice on quality for pricing.

Right now looking at the A6000 mostly because of good quality for a low price point (terrible choice for streaming in a way with the overheating issues on video capture... BUT that can be modded away with heat shielding and software hacks which seems worth it if I can get it under 300) but they are no good active listings at the moment. So if there are any list of "budget models for streaming" to look out for I am all ears.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

White Rock posted:

Hi thread, looking for some used budget camera suggestions... My main focus is something that can double as a streaming camera using a capture card. I'm trying to stay under 400 , which I know is on the low end but at this point I'm willing to sacrifice on quality for pricing.

Right now looking at the A6000 mostly because of good quality for a low price point (terrible choice for streaming in a way with the overheating issues on video capture... BUT that can be modded away with heat shielding and software hacks which seems worth it if I can get it under 300) but they are no good active listings at the moment. So if there are any list of "budget models for streaming" to look out for I am all ears.

I hear good things about Panasonic Lumix M4/3s for streaming use.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, Mirrorless thread - I think I've done a dumb thing but I'd be interested to hear just how dumb I've been.

I normally post in the watches thread in WAYW, so I'm no stranger to poor financial decisions. Someone on my other watch forum was selling this Leica T, and I bought it. (I have always had a thing for last year's best equipment - I think it's a good way to make purchases.)

I've got a couple of Panasonic 4/3rds cameras - an old GF1 that got me into 4/3rds, and a newer GX85. I almost exclusively use prime lenses (the 20mm pancake Panasonic, and the 15mm, I think, Olympus).

This Leica T came with an adaptor and three Canon lenses, all EF series, a 35-70, a 28-90 and a 50mm prime. Those three will all got sold in the summer, I think, and I'll lookout for a Leica Summicron-T 23mm (and I know, I know, the price).

Will I notice any improvement/difference over my GX85? Or have I spent all my money on a flash aluminium body and a red dot?

Fire away!

Teach fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 12, 2020

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Even though it has a bigger sensor the high iso performance of the T is not better than the gx85. You may prefer the jpg colors out of the leica. The smaller crop factor makes it a little better for adapting vintage lenses. Sigma is bringing their apsc f1.4 trio to l mount this year, so there will be some more affordable native auto focusing lens options.

How bad of a decision it is really depends on how much you paid, if you can get your money back out then there is no harm in trying it out, even if it is not a good value.

The selection of canon lenses make it seem like a pretty bad deal. Does the adapter have electronic contacts to allow aperture control? If not selling it as a bundle was pretty lovely.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao sup teach

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite posted:

The selection of canon lenses make it seem like a pretty bad deal. Does the adapter have electronic contacts to allow aperture control? If not selling it as a bundle was pretty lovely.
Looking at the adapter in the picture, it seems like it's just a dumb adapter with no contacts. It doesn't even have a focus confirmation chip.

I found the adapter here, there are a lot of identical ones with different brandnames silkscreened onto them, but all with the same physical design and lettering (another example here)

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Fools Infinite posted:

How bad of a decision it is really depends on how much you paid, if you can get your money back out then there is no harm in trying it out, even if it is not a good value.

Thanks for the comments, and, hey, DJExile. I got a decent price, but it's interesting to hear that the Canon lenses are a poor match. I knew that they would be totally manual - the adaptor is a dumb thing - and like I said, I can't get on with manual focusing.

I'll pick up a used Leica 23mm prime on eBay - I got a £50 off code this morning. That's starting to make the whole thing feel like a decent price, especially factoring in, what? £75? for the Canon lenses when I sell them.

Thanks again for the comments - this lurker appreciates them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's not just that they are manually focussing, the bigger problem is that there's no way for the camera to control the aperture of the lenses, and those lenses don't have aperture control rings, so you can only shoot wide open.

Edit, also those are pretty much garbage lenses too. Both of the zooms are super old kit lenses, and the 50 is the cheapest first-party lens that Canon ever made.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 13, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

It's not just that they are manually focussing, the bigger problem is that there's no way for the camera to control the aperture of the lenses, and those lenses don't have aperture control rings, so you can only shoot wide open.

Edit, also those are pretty much garbage lenses too. Both of the zooms are super old kit lenses, and the 50 is the cheapest first-party lens that Canon ever made.

Yeah this is the big thing. That adapter is the most basic "make lens kinda work on body" type, and those kit zooms are throwaways.

That being said, you can poke around and find far better lenses pretty easily on the used market. Leica's stuff can command a premium because leica owners can be lunatics (y'know that discussion in the watch thread about rear end in a top hat Rolex owners? same thing) but poke around and you can find some good stuff.

On the other hand, if you like the GX85, you could sell that Leica body for a tidy sum and there is a mountain of m4/3 lenses available on the used market that would run well for you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Teach posted:

Hey, Mirrorless thread - I think I've done a dumb thing but I'd be interested to hear just how dumb I've been.

I normally post in the watches thread in WAYW, so I'm no stranger to poor financial decisions. Someone on my other watch forum was selling this Leica T, and I bought it. (I have always had a thing for last year's best equipment - I think it's a good way to make purchases.)

I've got a couple of Panasonic 4/3rds cameras - an old GF1 that got me into 4/3rds, and a newer GX85. I almost exclusively use prime lenses (the 20mm pancake Panasonic, and the 15mm, I think, Olympus).

This Leica T came with an adaptor and three Canon lenses, all EF series, a 35-70, a 28-90 and a 50mm prime. Those three will all got sold in the summer, I think, and I'll lookout for a Leica Summicron-T 23mm (and I know, I know, the price).

Will I notice any improvement/difference over my GX85? Or have I spent all my money on a flash aluminium body and a red dot?

Fire away!

Buddy if you want to throw money at stuff of questionable value, you don't need our permission.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I ordered the Panasonic S1 from https://www.panamoz.com - a totally not suspicious gray market camera shop. They did not have the S1 for sale but I asked about it from their support, and they added the camera to their webshop in under 1 hour. They even already had it in stock and ready to ship! :stare:

I then realized they ship only to UK/France/Spain and not Finland. I asked about it too and they said the shipping times were so long due to COVID that they have reduced the amount of countires they ship to temporarily. Earlier they used to ship to whole EU.

Welp I made an UK mailbox in https://www.myukmailbox.com and checked the rates. Around 40-50€ with UPS/DHL express shipping from UK to Finland.

So I ordered the camera to my UK mailbox and they will forward the camera to me to Finland. Camera was 1754€ so the total will be around 1800€. Great savings supposing nothing goes wrong. What could possibly go wrong...

Update: the camera is on the move. It is being shipped from HK to UK via FedEx. From UK that mail forwarder company will ship it to me. ETA to UK is next monday. With DHL/UPS express shipping I could get the camera by end of next week! In theory.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 14, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You are 1,000% getting scammed

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

DJExile posted:

You are 1,000% getting scammed

How would the scam work when their only payment method is Paypal?

Why would anyone bother doing their scams with Panasonic full frame cameras instead of something which actually sells, like phones?

Edit: seems their angle is tax evasion/smuggling. They mislabel the goods and/or value and in case customs snags it (happens rarely), they pay the fees to keep customers happy.

Even if I had to pay the fees mysel, the camera would still be quite cheap.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 14, 2020

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

refleks posted:

I haven't done much filming with it, and only in manual, but I guess I can do some testing.

What do you expect the focus to be and what does it do?

Set to single-shot, turn the focus mode selector on the front to AF-C, set the focus box to the top left & right and bottom left & right corners and try to get it to focus on whatever’s in those corners. Does the focus ever wobble for more than a second, or for a few seconds, before settling to focus on something?

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 15, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I have been out of the camera loop for more than a year. Have only been using the insta360 camera to shoot my toddler. That was also 1 or 2 bans ago so you don't recognize my id.

Anyway I just found out today the XT4 has been out . What's the consensus on its vlogging capability compare to the similar Panasonic bodies?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

So I have been out of the camera loop for more than a year. Have only been using the insta360 camera to shoot my toddler. That was also 1 or 2 bans ago so you don't recognize my id.

Anyway I just found out today the XT4 has been out . What's the consensus on its vlogging capability compare to the similar Panasonic bodies?

It has IBIS so the dorks are finally happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Just picked up a Fuji 16-55 . My other lens is a 35/2. It’s a pretty ridiculous size difference. No joke about the optical performance of the big zoom, though. It is like a bag of primes compared to my old 18-55.

Also tried out the 16-80 while I was in the shop. That one seemed about as big as you could go and still be well-balanced without a vertical grip. Definitely preferred it for size, handling, and stabilized viewfinder image, but even a casual perusal of the jpegs from both lenses on my X-T2’s rear screen left no question; the 16-55’s optics were just that much better.