Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I finally bought Red Dead Redemption 2 a couple months ago. I played it for 2 hours and haven't touched it since. The controls are just so slow and ponderous, seems like it takes way too long to do any kind of action. Before that I was playing AC: Odyssey, so that probably set a high standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think you just suck at it.

Even if they suck at it, everything that they wrote is accurate.

I mean the Doom Eternal cutscenes alone, just lol.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ego-bot posted:

I finally bought Red Dead Redemption 2 a couple months ago. I played it for 2 hours and haven't touched it since. The controls are just so slow and ponderous, seems like it takes way too long to do any kind of action. Before that I was playing AC: Odyssey, so that probably set a high standard.

It’s an incredibly frustrating game. It wasn’t the worst of the decade but it was certainly the worst of the PS4/XBONE gen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s an incredibly frustrating game. It wasn’t the worst of the decade but it was certainly the worst of the PS4/XBONE gen.

It seems to be breaking along the lines of people who gave it 1-2 hours and despised it and people who soldiered through it because they liked other aspects. I'm in the latter group but by any measure the controls aren't good, although I got used to the shooting and fighting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Someone on the Doom Eternal team, probably one of the artists, was like "hey wouldn't it be cool if Doomguy had a flamethrower weapon" and then the design team was like "okay we'll add a flamethrower but it has to be a cooldown ability that emits a half-second burst of flame every 2 minutes and we'll tie it to armor replenishment for some reason"

Gotta have a generic assault rifle weapon with a scope, can't replace it with something cool like a flamethrower

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

QuarkJets posted:

Even if they suck at it, everything that they wrote is accurate.

I mean the Doom Eternal cutscenes alone, just lol.

As everyone knows, the cut scenes and story are by far the most important elements of a Doom game...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It is a shooter in the same way as Adventure is a throwing game.

It's as much a shooter as it is an RPG, which is to say it's very bad at both.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

It's as much a shooter as it is an RPG, which is to say it's very bad at both.

Never seen a non-sequitur with a "this is not a non-sequitur!" in between. This is some serious next-level poo poo :eyepoop:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The best part of fallout 3 is the ending where your character needs to go into a radiation zone and die a heroic death but he’s chilling w an immune super mutant buddy who won’t do it for you because reasons

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It seems to be breaking along the lines of people who gave it 1-2 hours and despised it and people who soldiered through it because they liked other aspects. I'm in the latter group but by any measure the controls aren't good, although I got used to the shooting and fighting.

I put in 4-8 and it just always stepped on its own dick whenever I was about to have fun. I really liked RDR and was majorly looking forwards to stuff but stuff like rescuing someone from kidnapping and him reporting me for killing his kidnappers, or getting a game over for leading enemies to camp while I was halfway across the map from it killed it. I was willing to forgive the shooting gallery missions and all that, but it just kept driving me nuts.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
If you not ready to play in permadeath mode, you not ready for real life.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ego-bot posted:

I posted a long rant on it in here a few weeks ago after buying it and playing for about six hours, and haven't touched it since. RDR2 goes out of its way to make sure you don't have fun.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

QuarkJets posted:

Gotta have a generic assault rifle weapon with a scope, can't replace it with something cool like a flamethrower

You basically get a flame thrower in the game. It's more like a hook-shot that sets the enemy on fire, pulls you toward it with a supershotgun locked and loaded. The flamethrower/flame belcher on your shoulder basically becomes an afterthought after you have that, because now you can move around, kill stuff and receive armor all at once.

There is a lot of overlap of mechanics the more you upgrade all the stuff, which could have been trimmed down. I also am not a huge fan of the jumping stuff, or the over-the-top saturday morning cartoon style of basically everything.

I really enjoy Doom: Eternal gameplay wise, but I think id should dial everything back to 11 instead of 13. Mechanics, story, art direction...it's just a bit too much on all fronts.

The stare of the slayer is still pretty awesome though, so I can't fault them for having some cutscenes in 3rd person now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Video games that have backtracking are bad video games. You should only revisit an area if everything in them has changed or if you forgot a thing and go back to get it. But video games like to send you back to where you came from and it’s clearly a way to pad playtime. Most environments are repeated anyway so what the H.

Nothing is more of a turnoff than when you come across a door you can’t open yet.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

jokes posted:

Video games that have backtracking are bad video games. You should only revisit an area if everything in them has changed or if you forgot a thing and go back to get it. But video games like to send you back to where you came from and it’s clearly a way to pad playtime. Most environments are repeated anyway so what the H.

Nothing is more of a turnoff than when you come across a door you can’t open yet.

This is why metroidvanias are bad.

Just have a linear progression of levels and introduce new gameplay concepts, obstacles, enemies and abilities as you progress, FFS, don't make me spend hours trying to remember the one tile on one screen which will let me use my new doodad that I picked up all the way across the map.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I disagree about metroidvanias. They may have stories, but the main draw is exploration. So doing some backtracking to access a new location with a new ability is the actual game. But something like DQ11 where you have an entire 30+ hour act that is just going to the exact same locations a second time to fight the same monsters with new names and bigger stats is a complete joke.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

A well designed Metroidvania can be a lot of fun. By well designed I mean situations that stick in your memory like "the map goes on over there, but I can't jump high enough, so I guess I need to find double jump" and you (mostly) remember where that place was!

Or, if it's stuff like "get weapon X to open this door", at least mark the doors on the map.

Metroid itself wasn't perfect with this, but mostly (with the means possible at the time). I think Metroid Prime 1 nailed it in a sense that I could (nearly) remember each place where a new-found ability might work now. Ori, Hollow Knight, Iconoclasts also pulled this off pretty good by making that particular place rememberable.

I played a lot of other indy Metroidvanias that don't get this right, imo, because everything looks mostly the same and the places aren't rubbed in your face enough to remember them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Any good exploration heavy game is going to have back tracking, but it's the games job to make you excited about running back to that place you couldn't go before vs resenting having to do it. A good game should have you stoked to go back and check something out. Bad games use it as padding.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At the very least, gives the zones some kickass music.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tuo posted:

A well designed Metroidvania can be a lot of fun.

Blasphemous was loving good

I thought iconoclasts was a bit disappointing, tbh. Like it was good enough, but it went out of its way to make it seem like you could change characters, then only let you at a couple of specific points. This in itself isn't really a failing, it's just that it was an overarching theme, that it would seem like it was going to do a big thing and instead it did a small thing. I think I changed my upgrades maybe 5 times, and that was always because the solution to a puzzle was "have these specific upgrades equipped" and then there was no reason to use the upgrades again. I think there's a puzzle late in the game where you don't just use the most recently found weapon? Otherwise, same deal, latest weapon all game, no reason to switch between them, etc etc.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 13, 2020

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

tuo posted:

Metroid itself wasn't perfect with this, but mostly (with the means possible at the time). I think Metroid Prime 1 nailed it in a sense that I could (nearly) remember each place where a new-found ability might work now. Ori, Hollow Knight, Iconoclasts also pulled this off pretty good by making that particular place rememberable.

I played a lot of other indy Metroidvanias that don't get this right, imo, because everything looks mostly the same and the places aren't rubbed in your face enough to remember them.

I had trouble getting into Hollow Knight because it all looks the same to me. Ori does a substantially better job at making the environments look different and memorable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I had trouble getting into Hollow Knight because it all looks the same to me. Ori does a substantially better job at making the environments look different and memorable.

Hmm...I'm a big fan of both, and I think especially Hollow Knight has very distinctive areas, even more so than Ori. Then again, I haven't played it in a while, so I can't remember the first couple of hours that well. Could be that the first area sticks around for a bit too long. Later areas all have a very distinct look and style, with very distinctive points of interest. Even my least favourite area Deepnest, but not due to the spiders, simply because I don't think that area is fun at all has a very cool "whoa" moment.

I can't bring myself though to finish Axiom Verge. I know it's highly praised, but I simply can't memorize the maps and stuff. It all looks so identical to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if I'd call Axiom Verge highly praised. I never bought it because so many people said it was mediocre back when it was released.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I put in 4-8 and it just always stepped on its own dick whenever I was about to have fun. I really liked RDR and was majorly looking forwards to stuff but stuff like rescuing someone from kidnapping and him reporting me for killing his kidnappers, or getting a game over for leading enemies to camp while I was halfway across the map from it killed it. I was willing to forgive the shooting gallery missions and all that, but it just kept driving me nuts.

I have not done SP at all even though everyone says it is The Best so I can't comment on broken-rear end single player experiences. I run with a crew of online brigands and we pillage towns, slaughter bounty hunters, and occasionally even do structured content.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same boat. The game world is pretty awesome and riding around is fun for a bit. The missions are painfully slow and the fact that you have to do them to unlock additional weapons is super annoying.

I will give it props though, it’s the first game where you can lasso someone, hog tie them, and then drown them in a river.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I will give it props though, it’s the first game where you can lasso someone, hog tie them, and then drown them in a river.

I think that was in RDR1.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Could you not do that in RDR? I remember that you had a lasso and could tie people up.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
You can lasso a person, pour animal bait on them, and watch wolves come and eat them from a safe vantage point in both RDR and RDR2

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

rdr2 has probably one of the coolest story elements in any video game, a really cool thing happens halfway through

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
To be honest I dropped RDR2 after for the 60th time I had Arthur pick up a body that landed right beside a chest instead of opening the chest, and watching him slowly shuffle around with a corpse on his shoulder before I could start moving yet again kind of broke me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

yet none can deny that rdr2 has set a new industry standard w/ their seasonal horse nad simulation

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badactura posted:

You can lasso a person, pour animal bait on them, and watch wolves come and eat them from a safe vantage point in both RDR and RDR2

I play computer video games to get away from the everyday things in life though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

assassins creed: valhalla will do 4k at 30fps on the xbox series x

quote:

Assassin's Creed Valhalla will run at a minimum of 30 fps. On Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, we are committed to offer the best experience to our players by immersing them in the most beautiful worlds and environments we could create, and leveraging not only the graphics enhancements offered by the next generation of consoles, but also faster loading times and the new architectures.

faster loading times, though!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I cannot take the name "Xbox Series X" seriously. It's sounds like something you come up with as a parody.

It's like when One Punch Man's final move was "Serious Series: Serious Punch".

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

As everyone knows, the cut scenes and story are by far the most important elements of a Doom game...

As someone who bought all 4 Doom novels as a young teen, unironically yes.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Badactura posted:

Every time I ran into the eugenics guy in Saint Denis I'd tie him up and ride all the way to that giant train bridge by Valentine and throw him off in the middle of it.

I tried just leaving him on the tracks and waiting for a train once, but the prick got free and started shooting at me, so he had to eat a dynamite arrow that I was saving for fishing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Disco Pope posted:

As someone who bought all 4 Doom novels as a young teen, unironically yes.

I didn't read the Doom novels because I'm not a monster but I will admit to reading the Stephani Perry Resident Evil books and actually quite enjoying the ones that were based on the game

The original ones were vile though

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

RDR2 was fun when exploring and messing around, but drat there were some bad design decisions. I appreciate being able to choose from 50 different hats, but can I please make a decision about which guns Arthur carries? I don't always want to have to scroll past trash pistols.

Also not great when you finish a mission and there are lots of bodies lying around, and searching one of them instantly leads to a max wanted level.

For all the effort they put into storytelling I would have appreciated Arthur's ability to interact with the world to go beyond "polite, rude, shoot in face." There were glimpses of great mission ideas, like taking the hot air balloon and seeing the landscape from above, but of course that mission ended with needing to shoot a bunch of endless bandits and the balloon operator was dead and you can never use it again.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know if I'd call Axiom Verge highly praised. I never bought it because so many people said it was mediocre back when it was released.

I remember people saying it's really good, and it has a pretty awesome sountrack, solid mechanics with a nice twist so it'sn not just another super metroid copy, good boss fights and everything....but I just can't memorize the map....

with Super Metroid, you can basically call out each zone, and if you played it recently, how they interconnect. With Axiom Verge? To me it's all the same, and once I get a new thing, I run around the world to find the spot I can use it, like someone said above that it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Caesar Saladin posted:

rdr2 has probably one of the coolest story elements in any video game, a really cool thing happens halfway through

what was that?