Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've reactived my account after quite a few years. Jumped in the MX5 at Lime Rock. Got 90% of the way around the lap then..

When did they start using a layout with that abomination of a chicane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've reactived my account after quite a few years. Jumped in the MX5 at Lime Rock. Got 90% of the way around the lap then..

When did they start using a layout with that abomination of a chicane?

Did you jump into the old Lime Rock by mistake? It has the good (by chicane standard) chicanes now.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

holy poo poo, the skips rule wtf

Dangerllama posted:

You guys weren’t lying about the skips.

Welcome to the cult Church, siblings.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

njsykora posted:

Did you jump into the old Lime Rock by mistake? It has the good (by chicane standard) chicanes now.
Definitely the new one. It's the second chicane at West Bend. The first chicane is fine; although also new to me, I now realised I must have watched a Youtube race with it, so my brain was expecting it. But the second chicane just seems so niggly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

North Wilkesboro getting an early release tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAiwix0Y6AY

Raise hell, praise Dale.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Pablo Bluth posted:

Definitely the new one. It's the second chicane at West Bend. The first chicane is fine; although also new to me, I now realised I must have watched a Youtube race with it, so my brain was expecting it. But the second chicane just seems so niggly.

I don't think i've ever seen the second chicane used in a race in real life. I assume it mostly exists for motorcycles and school cars so they can teach slow corners at lime rock.

In other news, I won the god drat Indy 500, despite my wheel trying to kill me on my outlap after the last pit stop by disconnecting and reconnecting

split 34/35, i missed qualifying and got gridded by my (depressed because C-fixed at talladega) iRating

There were quite a few guys faster than I was, I hung around 3-4th all race, not really making moves, letting people by if they caught me, because I knew it would be a bloodbath and it paid off. Last real challenger for the win hit the wall in the aero wash of lapped traffic around lap 133 and I cruised to victory other than the slight hiccup of my wheel nearly killing me and having to re-pass 2nd for the lead.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Nice one! Continuing the goon tradition of the less tryharding that gets done, the better the end result ends up being. RIP to everyone who practiced all week and got murdered in higher splits

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So despite not being interested in real-life circle track racing at all, I find a solid majority of my time being spent in the ARCA car and dirt super street. I’m just way better at it than I am on a road course, despite enjoying road racing quite a bit.

Do I grow my mullet now, or what?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Raise hell, praise Dale.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My theory is circle track is very boring to watch and very fun to actually race. Unlike road racing which is fun to both watch and race

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My theory is circle track is very boring to watch and very fun to actually race. Unlike road racing which is fun to both watch and race

I agree with this theory, although open wheelers at ovals are fun to both watch and race. Pack racing at circle tracks is less fun to watch.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If one were to get a VR headset for this game…what would one get? Is it really that much better vs a 27” monitor parked 30” away from my face?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Better than a single monitor? Most definitely. In terms on what you would get, it depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I assume someone could spend a whole lot less than Valve Index money and still have a good time but I have zero experience with VR and I'm keen to hear what some of you might say specifically regarding iRacing and VR.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The general recommendation I've seen lately is the Oculus Rift S ($400) at entry level then the HP Reverb ($650) and Valve Index ($1k) at increasing costs. Trouble right now is finding them. All the people flocking to sim racing right now has created a bit of a shortage and used ones are commanding stupid prices.

I'm hoping once people start going back to work and the track used prices will get back to reasonable levels.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Your main options outside the Index are the Oculus Quest (the standalone headset, can be connected to a PC with a USB3 cable to act like a Rift), Oculus Rift S (same price, slightly different screen that makes it more suited for PC VR stuff, the better option if you only want it for sim racing) or finding a second hand WMR headset. I would say if you have the cash and the PC specs (basically any PC built in the last 2 years is capable of VR stuff now) it's worth it, and people will testify that I was a hard VR skeptic up until getting my Quest recently.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

If one were to get a VR headset for this game…what would one get? Is it really that much better vs a 27” monitor parked 30” away from my face?

Its not even in the same ballpark. VR is so much better than even triple screens its crazy.

Your options are:

Valve Index - The best of the best, but pricey at $1000 and can be very hard to get ahold of
Rift S - Still very good, a lot less cheap than the Index and can be had at your local Best Buy
Quest with link cable or wireless via virtual desktop - Around the same price as the Rift S, but the wired and wireless can be finicky and hard to deal with
WMR - Will work fine for sim racing, the controllers suck but that doesn't matter in sim racing

There are also used headsets to consider. You can pick up an OG Rift for a song these days

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You also get what you pay for. The Index might not have the highest resolution, but it is one of the most comfortable I've ever used, and can go up to 144hz. If you have a 2080/2070 super, you want something that gives you more FPS because it looks that much better. The Rift S can only do 80hz, and you might not notice it, but it's still less than what the OG RIft could do. it also doesn't have an IPD adjuster, so if your IPD lines up near the sweet spot, it's great, if not, it will always be slightly blurry. But for 600 dollars less, that might not be a problem for you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quest with link cable or wireless via virtual desktop - Around the same price as the Rift S, but the wired and wireless can be finicky and hard to deal with

Can confirm, though the finickyness is entirely related to getting the Link up and running in the first place, once you've got it to behave it's fine. Also you only need a decent USB3 to USB-C cable (you can get one on Amazon for about $10), don't worry about buying Oculus' $80 cable.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I did my first race in VR yesterday (Vive Pro,) with a human spotter, and immediately picked up three tenths at Rockingham, and near a half second once I’d settled in. Much more consistent, as well. You just get a better feel for your braking zones, since you’re getting an entire extra dimension to base your judgement on.

The one criticism is that it pushes your data displays further from the center of your view than in 2D, which limits your situational awareness a bit. You could absolutely make the argument that it is even more realistic that way, however.

Iracing’s mirrors absolutely NUKE frame rates in VR though, so best have some decent hardware.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is a 1060 gonna be enough to get at least 80fps?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Earlier tonight I ran the Super Late Model at USA and I had kinda been playing with the setup and couldn't really manage the tire falloff that well and I just can't get the tightness out of it so I wasn't going to run it thinking that I didn't want to gently caress up somebody else's race while trying to "gain experience" at higher levels. I'm so torn from treating this game with respect and keeping doing what I'm doing anymore. What I mean is that I'm so worried about having a poo poo setup that I accidentally cause yellows or bang into somebody or something especially when I have no hope in winning the race. So what happens during this race? We took 4 green flags before completing 1 lap without a yellow. We ran 40 of the 75 laps under caution. Total loving poo poo show. I didn't qualify so I could start in the back and finished 12th out of 18 just by not being an idiot. I mean guys were arguing and getting pissy that were crashing each other out of like 9th and 10th place. Like who fights over garbage positions like that? You're not going to lose your ride buddy. My only gripe is that I probably should have finished in the top 10 but, with like 20 to go there was a wreck in front of me, like a 1/4 straightaway in front of me, I went by it and then got black flagged for passing under yellow and didn't get my lap back until lucky dog with 4 to go and we finished under yellow but still when you're fighting over 9th - 12th like does it really loving matter? I'll just also point out both cars that wrecked got towed back to the pits and one of the two was multiple laps down so I don't think the black flag was justified. I think I'm just going to take my hot garbage setups wherever I want now and gently caress what happens. Just earn my credits for completing seasons so I can buy more tracks that I don't have setups for.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

My 1080 gets me 130-144fps in an Index with shadows off.

simble
May 11, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I did my first race in VR yesterday (Vive Pro,) with a human spotter, and immediately picked up three tenths at Rockingham, and near a half second once I’d settled in. Much more consistent, as well. You just get a better feel for your braking zones, since you’re getting an entire extra dimension to base your judgement on.

The one criticism is that it pushes your data displays further from the center of your view than in 2D, which limits your situational awareness a bit. You could absolutely make the argument that it is even more realistic that way, however.

Iracing’s mirrors absolutely NUKE frame rates in VR though, so best have some decent hardware.

You can move the UI elements by pressing alt+k and dragging them with your mouse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

If it’s the 6gb, yes. I ran iracing on an OG Rift and a 6gb 1060 and it hit 90fps.

Don’t run the car mirrors, as mentioned they kill performance. The iracing virtual mirror, while not as realistic, is much easier on your CPU.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Welp. I'm glad I got most of my season's race participation out of the way, because my wheel base has kept going with the disconnect/reconnect issue. I'm gonna miss Iowa IndyCars :smith:

New wheelbase is ordered, probably gonna flip the old one once it's repaired.

Guess I'm playing warzone for a while

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
NWS seems fun. It's a great kinda, fast short track? You definitely have more corner speed and the stock setup is super planted and it's hard* to spin out. I also managed some solid 2 wide racing.

*However, we still ran like 30 laps under caution, I don't know how.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 12, 2020

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
e: wrong thread somehow

Banzai 3 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 12, 2020

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

bigbillystyle posted:

Earlier tonight I ran the Super Late Model at USA and I had kinda been playing with the setup and couldn't really manage the tire falloff that well and I just can't get the tightness out of it so I wasn't going to run it thinking that I didn't want to gently caress up somebody else's race while trying to "gain experience" at higher levels. I'm so torn from treating this game with respect and keeping doing what I'm doing anymore. What I mean is that I'm so worried about having a poo poo setup that I accidentally cause yellows or bang into somebody or something especially when I have no hope in winning the race. So what happens during this race? We took 4 green flags before completing 1 lap without a yellow. We ran 40 of the 75 laps under caution. Total loving poo poo show. I didn't qualify so I could start in the back and finished 12th out of 18 just by not being an idiot. I mean guys were arguing and getting pissy that were crashing each other out of like 9th and 10th place. Like who fights over garbage positions like that? You're not going to lose your ride buddy. My only gripe is that I probably should have finished in the top 10 but, with like 20 to go there was a wreck in front of me, like a 1/4 straightaway in front of me, I went by it and then got black flagged for passing under yellow and didn't get my lap back until lucky dog with 4 to go and we finished under yellow but still when you're fighting over 9th - 12th like does it really loving matter? I'll just also point out both cars that wrecked got towed back to the pits and one of the two was multiple laps down so I don't think the black flag was justified. I think I'm just going to take my hot garbage setups wherever I want now and gently caress what happens. Just earn my credits for completing seasons so I can buy more tracks that I don't have setups for.

Doing what you did is fine. Know what you got and drive it accordingly.

The problem comes in when people have a trash setup, or no practice, or a terrible racing line, and think they can get up and fight for the lead if only they could get past these 20 cars ahead of them with better setups, better lines, and more experience. Those guys cause trouble.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A little late to the VR caht but I have one of the WMR headsets and they work well for not a ton of cash.
I have a lenovo explorer that you can get for around 249, you can get the acer ones as well.

One of the BEST things about the WRM headsets is that they flip up, I have glasses and I bought and returned the occulus because 1) it wasn't worth the $500 for the kit for me to race vs 3 monitors, and 2) It was a pain in the dick to get over my glasses by pulling forward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unless wmr controllers have improved, you should go with the rift s unless you really plan on never playing any VR games besides racing sims

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Unless wmr controllers have improved, you should go with the rift s unless you really plan on never playing any VR games besides racing sims

I mean this is pretty much it. I like WMR becuase I don't need stupid sensors around on my desk / area. When I got the rift to try it the only place I coudl stick the sensor was right in front of my monitors. With WMR the controllers are tracked by the headset but the issue with that is you can't really bring em to your face etc for aiming if you wanna play gun games.

My headset is used about 95% of the time to play racing, and 5% of the time for rec room / conrad teh kitten / fruit ninja that the kids play.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Jay_Zombie posted:

Doing what you did is fine. Know what you got and drive it accordingly.

The problem comes in when people have a trash setup, or no practice, or a terrible racing line, and think they can get up and fight for the lead if only they could get past these 20 cars ahead of them with better setups, better lines, and more experience. Those guys cause trouble.

Yeah I was just ranting in the moment I guess. I was a little extra annoyed because there was a kid, maybe 10 -12 years old, that would NOT stay off the mic. And there was another person trying to cut deals with people who were lined up on the inside when she was stuck on the outside before every restart. Hey 10 let me in off the start and I'll let you pass back. Hey 17 let me in at the start, every caution. Amazingly more people than not agreed to the deals. It was just overall an annoying race to be in.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah I was just ranting in the moment I guess. I was a little extra annoyed because there was a kid, maybe 10 -12 years old, that would NOT stay off the mic. And there was another person trying to cut deals with people who were lined up on the inside when she was stuck on the outside before every restart. Hey 10 let me in off the start and I'll let you pass back. Hey 17 let me in at the start, every caution. Amazingly more people than not agreed to the deals. It was just overall an annoying race to be in.

Ugh. I can imagine.

Best thing I've found is to map a driver mute button somewhere it's easy to get to.
It doesn't change the fact that they're jamming up the radio channel with their nonsense, but at least you don't have to listen to it. I mostly keep teammates and friends on Discord so that we can bypass all the in game chat, it's especially handy when you get someone like you had in your race that will Just. Not. Shut. Up.

However, it can be super fun to listen to people rage about the dumbest stuff. Not this time at Martinsville, but the last time we were there, I had a guy (I would venture to say on the young side, 13-15 or something) on the inside column, that I was passing on a restart on the outside column, I was fully past him by something like 4 feet and increasing at about 6 mph faster speed discrepancy and I began my turn in. By that point I was well ahead of him with at least half a car length between my rear bumper and his front. Of course, buddy boy, all the way on the bottom of the track, just asspacks me and spins me around, taking out half a dozen other cars as well, then spends the next 20 minutes raging about I blocked him, no wait, I cut off his nose, no wait, I dive bombed him, no wait, took his air away, no I was side drafting, etc. and that's why he buried it in the corner with no hope of making it through. He just kept digging himself a deeper and deeper hole. By the time he'd progressed to the "you took my air away" point, he had the whole room just rolling in laughter. It's like, dude, we were doing 80mph. Do you crash when a car passes you on the highway because they "took your air away"? I really can't do it justice, but it's probably the hardest I've ever laughed at in race chat. I mean, I wasn't even mad because it's Martinsville which is 50% gain positions from people wrecking and 50% getting a bumper enema, that stuff just happens. But this dude just lost his mind trying to explain how me being half a car length ahead of him at 80 mph, messed up the airflow over his splitter and spoiler so bad that he just forgot to brake and junked half the field. It was glorious. I love a good ragefest, especially when they get so incensed that they stop making sense.

And the making deals to get in line? I can almost understand that at a super speedway where you kinda have to get in line or hook up with someone to keep up or get ahead, but at USA? Capitol L O L. No. This is a short track. We don't make deals here. You on the outside? Sucks to be you.

And wait till you get up to trucks. Jokers be wrecking each other for 23rd place every single race.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 12, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

What? I have literally never heard of people doing this :psypop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same, though I'm also betting that this is the kind of fuckwit who would cut you off and take you both out if you said no.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I mean this is pretty much it. I like WMR becuase I don't need stupid sensors around on my desk / area. When I got the rift to try it the only place I coudl stick the sensor was right in front of my monitors. With WMR the controllers are tracked by the headset but the issue with that is you can't really bring em to your face etc for aiming if you wanna play gun games.

My headset is used about 95% of the time to play racing, and 5% of the time for rec room / conrad teh kitten / fruit ninja that the kids play.

The Rift S doesn't have any cameras or lighthouses to set up. It's a WMR style headset made by lenovo except it has good controllers and uses Oculus software.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've heard of it in a way like Jay_Zombie said, like super speedway stuff. Hell even pros do it in real races if they are teammates or in some cases both drive for the same manufacturer but not in short track racing. If you're starting on the outside at a short track you just have to hope to get a good jump and an easy path to fall into the bottom or just resign yourself to the fact you're gonna lose like 3 to 4 spots before you get room. I couldn't believe people were going for it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The Odyssey+ controllers (which are not the standard WMR controllers) are fine for everything I've thrown at them. The tracking area is smaller than some other options, but the image quality in the headset is very nice, and it has a physical IPD adjust.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just went back to the mx-5 after driving the Skippys for a few races, and it's quite an adjustment. The Miata feels like it's got bald tires on ice after getting used to the Skippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The more I race C-fixed truckos the more I love it, it's just so chill.

e: are B and A fixed this chill?