Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Alhazred posted:

Uno is another game that can get ugly real quick. A big part of the game is that you gently caress the other player over by changing colors or give them cards they don't need. And like monopoly it just never loving ends.

And like monopoly nobody plays the official rules.

https://twitter.com/realUNOgame/status/1124720366130204672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sereri posted:

You also can't just play the +4 card whenever you want. If you try to play it and have another valid play in hand someone can call bullshit and you end up drawing 6 cards

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the point of those board games was specifically to waste as much time as possible, and after a certain point people just assume that's what board games are supposed to be. Or to just have lots of colourful tokens to play with.

I don't think anyone ever actually played the rules of MouseTrap more than once, and the designers knew this. Of course, it's kinda silly in retrospect how board games failed to innovate meaningfully in almost a century, it seems. It's like if video games for the last 30+ years had been nothing but rereleases of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.
Board games have innovated hugely over the past century. It's more like if videogames had progressed exactly as they have, but for some reason people thought the best place to buy them was Borders and refused to buy anything other than the latest graphical reskin of ET.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Len posted:

You also can't just play the +4 card whenever you want. If you try to play it and have another valid play in hand someone can call bullshit and you end up drawing 6 cards

Uno is one of the only traditional games I know of where cheating like that is part of the rules and encouraged.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re: Uno talk.

The only way to play.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t post child murder.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

You can't end game with a special card, so that's not even the end of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Der Kyhe posted:

You can't end game with a special card, so that's not even the end of it.

Sounds like you can?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An Uno movie where during the climax someone almost forgets to say the word and the whole world goes into slow motion as the card falls and the player quickly yells "UUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Or the version with the little card firing machine, where a player loses the round and goes into the jesus pose as cards hit them all over their body like in Platoon, complete with comically exaggerated movements when they get hit.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:13 on May 13, 2020

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BioEnchanted posted:

An Uno movie where during the climax someone almost forgets to say the word and the whole world goes into slow motion as the card falls and the player quickly yells "UUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Or the version with the little card firing machine, where a player loses the round and goes into the jesus pose as cards hit them all over their body like in Platoon, complete with comically exaggerated movements when they get hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1XQduS6IfA

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ante* was a buckwild concept to introduce to a collectible card game, I guess when you're the creator of an entire game genre you can do whatever you want.

*I didn't play then but ante involved betting cards from your deck and if you lost the game, your opponent got those cards. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain better.**

**Pogs also had a rule about losing whatever pogs your opponent flipped.***

***I stole a Spinja from an older kid's desk in the second grade or so, sorry kid!

I think it makes sense when TCGs weren't really a thing yet so you could see it as "These are just pieces of cardboard" and not being worth money, sometimes several hundred depending.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Splicer posted:

Board games have innovated hugely over the past century. It's more like if videogames had progressed exactly as they have, but for some reason people thought the best place to buy them was Borders and refused to buy anything other than the latest graphical reskin of ET.

Polygon just did a video of Cosmic Encounter, which is a game I'd never heard of before but that's so buck wild that a single turn can actually have the sort of dramatic turns and reveals that Yu-Gi-Oh would pull.

I only learned afterwards that Cosmic Encounter was first published in the seventies.

Board games have been good for ages, it's just that dead-simple Milton Bradley games that everyone thinks they know the rules to (whether they do is irrelevant) have dominated the zeitgeist because of the ever-important 'family playing a game not because anyone wants to but because the family have to do something together' demographic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: poo poo, should have reloaded.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well that, and the fact that even a simple game like Catan can be very intimidating and frightening to most audiences. The stereotype of the " " " modern" " " board game that takes forever to learn, has a million cards/pieces/extra rules, goes on for hours, and isn't all that fun does exist for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaeFHi80ZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oOD9U9VQ5Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDyBCJcM9w

There's also that weird truth that unless you have a lot of open minds in your wider friend groups and/or go seek out shops/conventions, learning a cool new game usually leaves you with only you and maybe your friends who both know the game and actively want to play it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A boardgame shop opening near me was the best thing. My friend group enjoys boardgames but have a tendency to get too drunk to play anything complex (exception being MTG because they've all played entirely too much) so I made a new group of friends and pre-rona we met once a week to play games that were new to us

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The Germans have such sights to show you on boardgames.

Board games tend to be really expensive so its a hard business proposition to create and sell a board game that you know doesn't just have a constant influx of idiots like themed Monopoly. Kickstarter is almost the perfect vehicle for the niche board game now though. The manufacturing costs are pretty up there if you don't do volume and if you're just a couple guys in their Werkstatt making indie submissions for the Spiel des Jahres they usually do a limited run and just charge excessive amounts for a set and maybe give open source reproduction instructions if they're nice. Getting perordered in Kickstarter let's them negotiate decent volume contracts driving price down and profit up for themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

13Pandora13 posted:

Trivial Pursuit
My family love Trivial Pursuit - but only the original version that goes on forever and wastes your time with questions worth no points. And I can't loving stand it. Especially since even the company that makes it acknowledges that the traditional game is bad and has put out a bunch of variants that reduce the time a game takes and actually make sure you get something for getting a question right - and they own several of those variants but won't play them. Use the updated questions from those packs but on the traditional board, because what's even the point of playing if you can't answer five questions in a row correctly but get nothing for it because you kept landing on regular spaces and not the special ones that actually give you points? :argh:

Screaming Idiot posted:

I miss the old Magic sets before they went all-in on having lore nobody cares about, back when it was just random quirky ideas and janky art. One of the cards quoted Einstein!
The huge variety of art was actually one of the things I really liked about it and one of the reasons I stopped playing was because all the cards started looking the same. And that was a separate thing to having the consistent lore, they just didn't care if two cards depicted the same thing in different ways because it kept the cards visually interesting and distinct. Then I guess they decided they needed a consistent style for the sake of branding. :rolleyes:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ante* was a buckwild concept to introduce to a collectible card game, I guess when you're the creator of an entire game genre you can do whatever you want.

*I didn't play then but ante involved betting cards from your deck and if you lost the game, your opponent got those cards. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain better.
The first thing you'd do after shuffling your deck at the start of the game was turn over the top card and set it aside. That was your ante, and if you lost the game then that card belonged to your opponent. Basically the original creators never imagined people actually spending real money on cards so it didn't seem like it was ever going to be an issue if, in one game, you bet some really rare or useful card against a more common or less valuable one. For the same reason they also never worried about what it would do to game balance if someone had, say, ten copies of the same card, because who was ever going to get that many? There were also a number of cards that could modify the ante in various ways, by eg. swapping or adding to it (and, IIRC, a card that forces your opponent to trade a card of your choice for it mid-game), and they're among the very small list of cards that were once allowed in official play but are now completely banned in all formats.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Of course, it's kinda silly in retrospect how board games failed to innovate meaningfully in almost a century, it seems.
It only seems like that because the companies with the biggest marketing budgets are still pushing the same handful of games on the basis of name recognition, because that way they can just keep selling the same product over and over again forever. There are tons of better games, you just have to go slightly out of your way to find them. And they're buried amid a mountain of absolute garbage.

Sereri posted:

There is an official rule variant where you can actually avoid a Draw 2 by playing your own Draw 2 and it stacks for each player who does it, so the player who can't follow with their own Draw 2 gets hit with the whole chain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

Yeah, that's a lot more fitting.

It seems more recently that other board games are starting to catch on. Might be partly the Boomers who are too lead poisoned to learn any new games are starting to die off, partly that video games have made people more open to learning new sets of rules. Stuff like Tabletop Simulator might also play a part in making it easier to get into board games with less of a barrier to entry.

Might be the board game manufacturers starting to worry as they have actual competition and absolutely no idea how to deal with it since it's not like they've needed to actually design a game in decades. Best they can do is hopelessly try to tell people what the actual rules of the game are, far too late.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Stuff like Tabletop Simulator might also play a part in making it easier to get into board games with less of a barrier to entry.
I think you have to already be pretty keen to play to even begin to deal with the hassle of virtual board games.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I mean if the target market reads lovely xianxia webnovels this is actually pretty par for the course, right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Double Punctuation posted:

Uno is one of the only traditional games I know of where cheating like that is part of the rules and encouraged.

Cribbage is another

But most people wouldn't be cool with it. Having to watch scoring like a hawk is for the birds

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i unironically love this

the lovely MSPaint art, the terrible translation, Not Pai Mei going "WTF" at how fast this dude is leveling up, it's genius

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

An Uno movie actually exists:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i unironically love this

the lovely MSPaint art, the terrible translation, Not Pai Mei going "WTF" at how fast this dude is leveling up, it's genius

I like the artifacting around all of the sky elements.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

what!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Alhazred posted:

An Uno movie actually exists:

Is that the guy who played Sergei inThe Wire?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Tiggum posted:

My family love Trivial Pursuit - but only the original version that goes on forever and wastes your time with questions worth no points. And I can't loving stand it. Especially since even the company that makes it acknowledges that the traditional game is bad and has put out a bunch of variants that reduce the time a game takes and actually make sure you get something for getting a question right - and they own several of those variants but won't play them. Use the updated questions from those packs but on the traditional board, because what's even the point of playing if you can't answer five questions in a row correctly but get nothing for it because you kept landing on regular spaces and not the special ones that actually give you points? :argh:
The last time I played Trivial Pursuit it ended with the host screaming and throwing things around his house. My husband and I just looked silently at each other and left. We haven't been back. I feel like we were the real winners.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The new Trivial Pursuit where you can get jumps to the wedge piece places and there are differing difficulties of questions on each card is really good fun.

The old one suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I say that as someone who has almost won every game I've played of it because my font of utterly useless knowledge is nearly bottomless.

Childhood depression makes you read a lot!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now I want to play Trivial Pursuit, but if I played it via telecom, everyone would cheat. :argh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Memento posted:

The new Trivial Pursuit where you can get jumps to the wedge piece places and there are differing difficulties of questions on each card is really good fun.

The old one suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and I say that as someone who has almost won every game I've played of it because my font of utterly useless knowledge is nearly bottomless.

Childhood depression makes you read a lot!

I don't know if this is a new rule or just an old one that everyone forgot about, but when I played a new version of Trivial Pursuit at a board games night last year we had a lot of fun with the rule that, if you don't think you can answer a question on the upcoming topic, you can instead ask everyone else the question, and you get points if they're stumped by it.

It led to a lot of great moments of 'oh poo poo, it turns out Gary knows a bunch of random poo poo about the Olympics'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I don't know if this is a new rule or just an old one that everyone forgot about, but when I played a new version of Trivial Pursuit at a board games night last year we had a lot of fun with the rule that, if you don't think you can answer a question on the upcoming topic, you can instead ask everyone else the question, and you get points if they're stumped by it.

It led to a lot of great moments of 'oh poo poo, it turns out Gary knows a bunch of random poo poo about the Olympics'.

I love Trivial Pursuit for the moments of "How the gently caress did you know that?" followed by the times of "How the gently caress did I know that?"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

I love Trivial Pursuit for the moments of "How the gently caress did you know that?" followed by the times of "How the gently caress did I know that?"

:same:

There was some question about an actor who was illiterate until he was 30 and I went "oh, Lance Henriksen, obviously". Then I just paused and said "wait, why is that obvious? How on earth did I know that?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Trivial Pursuit is the most "why do I know this but not all of my immediate family members' birthdates" kind of game.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I think you have to already be pretty keen to play to even begin to deal with the hassle of virtual board games.

Yes but Tabletop simulator includes flipping the table and not having to pick it up. So that's a big selling point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Platystemon posted:

Now I want to play Trivial Pursuit, but if I played it via telecom, everyone would cheat. :argh:
Get better friends :(

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I love it for the same reasons. I'm not sure where I learned all this useless poo poo, but it comes in handy. We play at family holidays and they make my immediate family split up. I wish this transferred to some useful skill, but in general it just ends up with me giving away my free shots at bar trivia because I don't want my BAC anywhere more than half the legal limit when it's time to head home.

Tiggum posted:

The first thing you'd do after shuffling your deck at the start of the game was turn over the top card and set it aside. That was your ante, and if you lost the game then that card belonged to your opponent. Basically the original creators never imagined people actually spending real money on cards so it didn't seem like it was ever going to be an issue if, in one game, you bet some really rare or useful card against a more common or less valuable one. For the same reason they also never worried about what it would do to game balance if someone had, say, ten copies of the same card, because who was ever going to get that many? There were also a number of cards that could modify the ante in various ways, by eg. swapping or adding to it (and, IIRC, a card that forces your opponent to trade a card of your choice for it mid-game), and they're among the very small list of cards that were once allowed in official play but are now completely banned in all formats.
I'm pretty sure Richard Garfield also never imagined that those ancient cards would become so valuable that some insane nerd is trying to buy up every Black Lotus in existence and has gone as far as to pay $38,000 for one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is that the guy who played Sergei Boris inThe Wire?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

The last time I played Trivial Pursuit it ended with the host screaming and throwing things around his house. My husband and I just looked silently at each other and left. We haven't been back. I feel like we were the real winners.

That is amazing. I'm so used to passive aggressiveness, I've almost never witnessed anything like that. What was the cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Well I don't know about them, but I was pretty pissed I got the "P vs NP" question wrong. It was so obvious!