Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The sexist stay-homeists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PyPy posted:

real talk: i am fortunate enough to be able to work from home, but i find it increasingly difficult to get out of bed and work a full day as time passes. i don't know how to snap out of this.

Get the seek app and birdnet app and go to a local nature center. The buildings will be closed but you can crash around in the underbrush. The seek app is literally the best part of quarantine and I thank this thread for talking about it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no kid of mine is ever gonna stay home and be gay

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mexico talking about reopening counties with low or no cases next week, while digging mass graves in MexicoCity

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/metropoli/cavan-fosas-en-iztapalapa-para-muertos-de-coronavirus

also apparently one of the main guys near the Mexican president has the Bad Flu

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Fox News website has no COVID-19 stories until 13 other stories beforehand lol

yall said i was crazy for saying this would just fall out of the news

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

'OTHER' MOTIVE?
Bombshell Leaked Texts Show COVID-19 Death Count Coordinator 'A little bit critical of him [Trump]'

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Wamsutta posted:

like i'm not trying to be a chud here. i don't think people should be getting forced back to work for number. i think it's hosed up that people are being made to pick between risking the rona or being unemployed. but i'm also not gonna deal with jumping through hoops to go do poo poo. i can sit it out pretty happily

people dont have to choose in functioning neoliberal economies like germany or even the UK.

we dont even have a system where taxpayers cover corporate losses but the state intervenes where corporate cant. we have this hosed up junta controlled by a weird aristocracy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's more important that people like you than you being good at your job. If people like you they will go out of their way to justify keeping you around

If anyone ever directly asks you for something, do it as quickly as possible. Ask them for help on things, too. Being needed is a good feeling and promotes a sense of comraderie.

Apart from that, coast like a boat on the tide

i've never had a job like this, every job i've had the best workers got the most respect and the bad ones were hated, and their attempts to ingratiate themselves with snacks were met with us eating the snacks while calling them pathetic and shunning them until they quit

edit: it turns out living and working with the same people in a small isolated group is probably not the same as an office environment?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ChristsDickWorship posted:

i just got a spam voicemail from a local number inviting me to visit a website if i want answers to life's questions such as why do we age and die or is god causing my suffering? most of the calls that hit my cell are spam bullshit but i never got one from a nice old southern woman quoting scripture before

you should get those answers imho, those would be good to have

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

'OTHER' MOTIVE?
Bombshell Leaked Texts Show COVID-19 Death Count Coordinator 'A little bit critical of him [Trump]'

Nobody does this to our president and gets away with it!

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

rand paul's gonna prove to us that you can, indeed, be reinfected with corona

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/K_JeanPierre/status/1260591051544428544

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

shovelbum posted:

yall said i was crazy for saying this would just fall out of the news

Chuds will be enacting damnatio memoriae on their coronoavirus-stricken friends and relatives before this is over.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shovelbum posted:

i've never had a job like this, every job i've had the best workers got the most respect and the bad ones were hated, and their attempts to ingratiate themselves with snacks were met with us eating the snacks while calling them pathetic and shunning them until they quit

edit: it turns out living and working with the same people in a small isolated group is probably not the same as an office environment?

I should clarify corporate culture and start-up-y kinda places do have vastly different vibes, but I've never seen someone who was talented enough to overcome a poo poo personality, or so nice that they could overcome complete ineptitude.
But in the end, the people who rise are the people who can fit in with whatever the office clique is. I don't think just being really, really good is enough because the only person who will ever know you're really, really good is the person managing you and it's in their best interest to not promote you above themselves so...

The whole system is hosed.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PyPy posted:

i'd prefer to snap out of it on my own terms than from something like losing my job. that's my fear right now.

yeah that might happen. it was a dumb comment

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Imagine working somewhere that doesn't believe in raises.

Congratulations you work for the largest outpatient imaging company in america!

dude you need to go to loving pa school or something

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FizFashizzle posted:

dude you need to go to loving pa school or something

I work in quality of care metrics. Right now I'm putting together a dataset on how many minors were appropriately offered contraceptives after giving birth before age 18.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
steal office supplies from yourself

go into your kitchen high and start a union

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

shovelbum please stop comparing your merchant marine experience to literally anything else

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I work in quality of care metrics. Right now I'm putting together a dataset on how many minors were appropriately offered contraceptives after giving birth before age 18.

lmao let me spoil that for you

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wow maybe the media should stop acting like a few thousand chuds represent a massive nationwide movement

kru
Oct 5, 2003

that 'move on' is ironic, right?? right??

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

twoday posted:

I've been pilfering pepperoni from my fridge for weeks
my wife will never know

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

kru posted:

that 'move on' is ironic, right?? right??

its the astroturf arm of the DNC

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

PyPy posted:

thank you

if you can, point your face and eyeballs towards a window/sunlight while working. move your desk if you need to. it helps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shovelbum posted:

Yes if you're in an environment where you actually do meaningful work and people care about their job then your community will appreciate people pulling their weight and shun the ones that don't contribute

The prior advice was for people in make-work jobs

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

we must very quickly move on and forget about the war against the invisible enemy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

shovelbum please stop comparing your merchant marine experience to literally anything else

it is too late, the licensed unlimited horsepower engineers for gas turbine, motor and steam are coming from inside the thread.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did we see this yesterday? Floor-length evangelical skirt person working for Pence orders scientist and elected official to take off masks at campaign event before Pence will agree to walk on stage:

https://twitter.com/jaykelly26/status/1260408949079248899?s=20

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes if you're in an environment where you actually do meaningful work and people care about their job then your community will appreciate people pulling their weight and shun the ones that don't contribute

yeah if your work matters at all to society you can't cruise. and if you're a good person you wouldn't try to anyway. if your job is entirely making rich people richer or somehow even more pointless then go nuts

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

twoday posted:

:hai:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean i used to have other jobs and they were similar a lot of the time

but i did work on one large govt job site that fuckin sucked bc it was a cliquey situation, but it was such a joke homeless ppl would watch us and laugh that we were non union

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Dumbshit self accredited dentist doesn't know what a strain is

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

twoday posted:

Start rumours about your pets.

Sexually harass yourself

Assign yourself to a taskforce to investigate your own output and make recommendations on incentivizing yourself which you will then ignore

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

i really want a make-work job lol i could shitpost all day

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Xpost from Medical Stories

BioRxiv preprint, no peer review, NYU School of Medicine researchers. From abstract:

quote:

In search for a platform with shorter turnaround time, we sought to evaluate the recently released Abbott ID NOW COVID-19 assay which is capable of producing positive results in as little as 5 minutes. We present here the result comparisons between Abbot ID NOW COVID-19 and Cepheid Xpert Xpress SARS-CoV-2 using nasopharyngeal swabs transported in VTM as well as dry nasal swabs for the Abbott assay. Regardless of method of collection and sample type, Abbot ID NOW COVID-19 missed a third of the samples detected positive by Cepheid Xpert Xpress when using NP swabs in VTM and over 48% when using dry nasal swabs.

Ouch?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

shovelbum posted:

i really want a make-work job lol i could shitpost all day

its not as great as it sounds. im in here shitposting from my office and if it didn't pay subsistence level wages i'd take working at a shelter back in a heartbeat, even during pandemic. i had to bust my rear end every single day there and it was loving great and i loved it and miss it terribly. what do you do?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Start rumours about your pets.

Sexually harass yourself

Assign yourself to a taskforce to investigate your own output and make recommendations on incentivizing yourself which you will then ignore

steal toilet paper from your bathroom and hide it in your closet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Air travel is going to continue to suck for many years

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a..._campaign=share