Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You know some kid is going to figure out some paperclip way to defeat the T2 at least for wiping machines and then this will all be moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of moot, Apple just declared the following models of laptop to be Vintage status, which basically means Apple has dropped all support for them unless you live in California..

‌MacBook Air‌ (11-inch, Mid 2013)

‌MacBook Air‌ (13-inch, Mid 2013)

‌MacBook Air‌ (11-inch, Early 2014)

‌MacBook Air‌ (13-inch, Early 2014)

‌MacBook Pro‌ (13-inch, Mid 2014)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

American McGay posted:

Correct, which is why if you're running a laptop donation organization it might be a good idea to get proper verification of transfer of ownership. Hell they should be doing this already if the donations are tax deductible.
ah yes, great thing apple is working with nonprofits to unlock laptops based on documentation of transfer of ownership? no wait, they aren't doing this.

it reeks of the thing where upscale retailers would cut up the clothes they were throwing out to make sure the homeless couldn't wear them because it would be bad for their brand

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

it reeks of the thing where upscale retailers would cut up the clothes they were throwing out to make sure the homeless couldn't wear them because it would be bad for their brand

Yes that is exactly what they are doing.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of moot, Apple just declared the following models of laptop to be Vintage status, which basically means Apple has dropped all support for them unless you live in California..

What's different about CA? Lol 6 years is vintage. I bet for 99% of MacBook users a 2014 (pro) would be perfectly fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ah yes, great thing apple is working with nonprofits to unlock laptops based on documentation of transfer of ownership? no wait, they aren't doing this.

According to AlJazeera English, they just straight up burn them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
We can't have homeless people using Macs out in the street. I wouldn't want them to experience butterfly failures either.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

poo poo. Time to take my MacBook Pro (2015) in and get a new battery (it’s fine but I’ll swap
It before they become vintage so this thing lasts even longer... even if I end up giving it to my mom when I get a 14 inch MBP next year).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Apple's 'Vintage' designation isn't meant to be interpreted artistically, "ooh that's vintage Apple"

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

quote:

Vintage products are those that have not been sold for more than 5 and less than 7 years ago. Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Apple TV vintage products continue to receive hardware service from Apple service providers, including Apple Retail Stores, subject to availability of inventory, or as required by law.

Obsolete products are those whose sales were discontinued more than 7 years ago. Monster-branded Beats products are considered obsolete regardless of when they were purchased. Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products, with no exceptions. Service providers cannot order parts for obsolete products.

They sold '14s until the mid '15 refresh, so this is right on time. It's never a surprise!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's just a very aggressive classification especially since they are still MacOS supported.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

It's just a very aggressive classification especially since they are still MacOS supported.

Oh yeah, for sure. I think it's a parts-inventory-efficiency thing for them. Hopefully in practice parts won't be in short supply for these models, but mainboards will be.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

What's different about CA? Lol 6 years is vintage. I bet for 99% of MacBook users a 2014 (pro) would be perfectly fine.

California (and the country of Turkey) has consumer protection laws that mandate that Apple has to provide support for up to 10 years from introduction.

So an owner of a 13-inch 2013 MacBook Air in California could still go to Apple for support until 2023.

LionArcher posted:

poo poo. Time to take my MacBook Pro (2015) in and get a new battery (it’s fine but I’ll swap
It before they become vintage so this thing lasts even longer... even if I end up giving it to my mom when I get a 14 inch MBP next year).

Good idea, just a good thing to do in case of exchange or a resale.

Everyone says that the gap between 2015 era CPUs and current isn't all that much, but I've got a 2015 rMBP that is wheezing and fanning on multi-user Zoom chats while a 2018 I borrowed has no problems at all, no fans or slowdowns.

The 2018 is a quad-core, though..

Edit: both machines on latest Security Update 2020-002 for Catalina.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 12, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hmm I wonder if you can get support in CA if you're just 'visiting'.

I mean technically they don't have to actually keep parts for 10years right. As long as they offer you something equivalent in return.

Also lol that CA is where Apple HQ is but gently caress the rest of ya'll.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

Hmm I wonder if you can get support in CA if you're just 'visiting'.

I mean technically they don't have to actually keep parts for 10years right. As long as they offer you something equivalent in return.

Also lol that CA is where Apple HQ is but gently caress the rest of ya'll.

I live in Oregon most of the time, but my brother is in LA and I stay with his fam for Christmas for a few weeks usually. If I can visit this December I’ll bring my laptop down and get the battery serviced then (I can run my business for a few weeks from an iPad if I have to and I have warning time).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Experiencing a peculiar and downright worrisome issue with my Mac Pro. I turned it on today and it booted up fine, but when I fired up Chrome certain pages wouldn't load. The forums and various news sites would hang like the servers were down, but FB, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit etc were loading fine. Clearing browser data didn't work, and it's not just Chrome - Safari was having the same issue.

I restarted and immediately noticed the machine was running slower than ever before - programs were taking forever to open or not opening at all. Ran Malwarebytes which found no issues. First Aid on all my drives also seemed to find nothing, but it took a solid ten minutes to get past "checking the container superblock" on my boot SSD... Eventually it went through and after a restart things seemed to work OK - the forums were loading and apps were starting up in an appropriate length of time.

But now I'm getting the browser issue again. I'm a bit worried about this one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: mid2010 MP 5,1, OSX Mojave (recently upgraded).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have you tried running the Apple diagnostics (hold D on boot)? At first it sounded like a DNS issue but the SSD thing is weird.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do you have a spare drive you could test a fresh install of MacOS on?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Experiencing a peculiar and downright worrisome issue with my Mac Pro. I turned it on today and it booted up fine, but when I fired up Chrome certain pages wouldn't load. The forums and various news sites would hang like the servers were down, but FB, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit etc were loading fine. Clearing browser data didn't work, and it's not just Chrome - Safari was having the same issue.

I restarted and immediately noticed the machine was running slower than ever before - programs were taking forever to open or not opening at all. Ran Malwarebytes which found no issues. First Aid on all my drives also seemed to find nothing, but it took a solid ten minutes to get past "checking the container superblock" on my boot SSD... Eventually it went through and after a restart things seemed to work OK - the forums were loading and apps were starting up in an appropriate length of time.

But now I'm getting the browser issue again. I'm a bit worried about this one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: mid2010 MP 5,1, OSX Mojave (recently upgraded).

What kind of SSD, SATA or PCIe mounted? Do you have TRIM enabled?

I had this issue recently and resolved it by reseating the PCIe adapter card and then the NVMe SSD mounted on it.

If you have the SSD on a PCIe card, you might want to use Mac Fans Control / TG Pro to bump up the PCIe fan speed.

Also check to make sure your fans are running, that they're reasonably clean, and that there's nothing blocking the intake or exhaust side..

Can't wait for Disk Warrior to be updated to APFS; DFA is literally super useless for all but the most elementary issues; if your fsroot tree is corrupted, not only do you get crashes and slowdowns, but DFA literally gives up as soon as it gets this error. The only 'fix' is to clone off all your files to a freshly formatted APFS volume.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Pivo posted:

Not all Apple fans, just dumb goons.

Yeah, only dumb goons would ever defend anything Apple does, and it's okay if someone gives things they stole to their nice old grandma.

there is a guy in my town who donates laptops to haiti, your average grandma giving away her 4 year old laptop may not know the password. refusing to let machines be wiped makes apple assholes, and defending this policy is insanity, if not for the effect it has on nonprofits, for the horrible impact it has for the environment. what I am hearing here is that apple fans would effectively rather throw a perfectly great laptop in the trash than let a recycler or poor person have it.

A nice old grandma wouldn't give away her laptop after four years already. But yeah, Apple should just wipe it because a guy who starts sentences in lower case just says so.

Totally unrelated: I donate Lamborghinis and McLaren P1s to people, so please bring them to me with the keys. Don't be assholes or dumb goons!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

screamin and creamin posted:

A nice old grandma wouldn't give away her laptop after four years already. But yeah, Apple should just wipe it because a guy who starts sentences in lower case just says so.

Totally unrelated: I donate Lamborghinis and McLaren P1s to people, so please bring them to me with the keys. Don't be assholes or dumb goons!

Really living up to your custom corncob av today

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

Okay cornboomer

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

On the other hand, what you guys are calling for is that Apple should backdoor their own security systems, and use those backdoors to blindly unlock large amounts of computers. Built in backdoors are a thing that have always gone well* for everyone who's designed a security system that way. Also a thing that certain three letter agencies who are not your friends have been complaining about Apple not implementing.

* for certain values of "well"

there is a guy in my town who donates laptops to haiti, your average grandma giving away her 4 year old laptop may not know the password. refusing to let machines be wiped makes apple assholes, and defending this policy is insanity, if not for the effect it has on nonprofits, for the horrible impact it has for the environment. what I am hearing here is that apple fans would effectively rather throw a perfectly great laptop in the trash than let a recycler or poor person have it.

Independent of Apple fandom I am completely unaware of how to design an encryption system that is (a) actually secure and (b) unlockable both by the end user and Apple.

Note that the technologies Apple uses to offer iCloud based unlocking still rely on secrets kept only by the user. By design, Apple cannot unlock your computer without you remembering something. (I never let it add anything to iCloud, anyways, committing to remembering your own password is higher security.)

Like, I get it, if you're inclined to be skeptical of Apple's motives here, there's not going to be anything that can dissuade you because it turns out that truly high security requires preventing reuse of old computers that weren't unlocked and wiped properly by their former owner.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

icloud backups are not encrypted, that amounts to a backdoor to every computer and ios device backed up with them anyway. but we are not talking about unlocking here. we are talking about being able to wipe the computer so it's not a useless brick of aluminum.

for instance, my pre-T2 2015 15" rMBP has filevault full disk encryption, but if i donate it or lose the password or whatever, it can still be wiped and made useable again without needing to unlock it. the T2 module prevents this from happening. it isnt essential to data security in any way for this to be the case. it renders it unusable to a thief, but the consequences for the environment and for nonprofits are severe enough that it is apple's responsibility to provide a way around it. again, in no way would that jeopardize user data.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 13, 2020

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hey thread, not really a mac user, but i have experience with PC's and hackintoshes.

I'm helping my friend upgrade his 3,1 Mac Pro, for cheap. I helped him clone his drive over to an SSD. and its running great. hes on El Capt, which is fine since he doesn't really need a new OS, and I don't think hes got the technical understanding to do the Dosdude hack to get it running anything newer.

But he DOES want to replace the stock graphics card. i believe its a radeon 2600xt. I have a spare cards I could sell him. A GTX 660, and a GTX 570, and a few GTX 460's.

The 660 did not work when he tried to plug it in. he even got a 6pin power cable for it so it wast that. So my next bet was going to be the 570, is there some kind of firmware flash i would have to do on any of these cards to get it to work. i've read about people flashing a gtx 680's on their mac pros, but i cant quite track down how to do this. or which cards need to be flashed in order for them to work. I know that certain cards just wont display the EFI information. but really this guy just needs to get to the desktop. Thoughts?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

icloud backups are not encrypted, that amounts to a backdoor to every computer and ios device backed up with them anyway. but we are not talking about unlocking here. we are talking about being able to wipe the computer so it's not a useless brick of aluminum.

for instance, my pre-T2 2015 15" rMBP has filevault full disk encryption, but if i donate it or lose the password or whatever, it can still be wiped and made useable again without needing to unlock it. the T2 module prevents this from happening. it isnt essential to data security in any way for this to be the case. it renders it unusable to a thief, but the consequences for the environment and for nonprofits are severe enough that it is apple's responsibility to provide a way around it. again, in no way would that jeopardize user data.

My thoughts are similar. A computer shouldn't be rendered useless without having to contact Apple for the lock to be removed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Typical posted:

Hey thread, not really a mac user, but i have experience with PC's and hackintoshes.

I'm helping my friend upgrade his 3,1 Mac Pro, for cheap. I helped him clone his drive over to an SSD. and its running great. hes on El Capt, which is fine since he doesn't really need a new OS, and I don't think hes got the technical understanding to do the Dosdude hack to get it running anything newer.

But he DOES want to replace the stock graphics card. i believe its a radeon 2600xt. I have a spare cards I could sell him. A GTX 660, and a GTX 570, and a few GTX 460's.

The 660 did not work when he tried to plug it in. he even got a 6pin power cable for it so it wast that. So my next bet was going to be the 570, is there some kind of firmware flash i would have to do on any of these cards to get it to work. i've read about people flashing a gtx 680's on their mac pros, but i cant quite track down how to do this. or which cards need to be flashed in order for them to work. I know that certain cards just wont display the EFI information. but really this guy just needs to get to the desktop. Thoughts?

The GTX 680 once, and only once, was sold in an Apple-blessed version by EVGA. EVGA never made another Mac compatible GPU, but the Mac firmware from this card became the base for doing that flashing.

Apart from the 680, the Nvidia card has to have a Kepler chipset for the built-in macOS drivers to work with the card. I'm afraid that discounts all the cards you listed.

To be frank, your best bet is to source either an original EVGA GTX 680 Mac Edition or a PC 680 GTX, so he doesn't have to go past El Capitan; or he could use any of the Nvidia cards listed in this post on tonymac:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/will-my-nvidia-graphics-card-work-with-macos-list-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

Caveat emptor: the cards like the 660Ti will work, but there won't be a video signal until the OS loads completely, meaning with the PC cards you have no access to the built-in boot picker or single user mode unless you install OpenCore, and if running the dosdude patch is beyond your friend's comfort zone, OpenCore is equally not recommended.

But if you got him to Mojave, you could just buy Apple's recommended GPU card for Mojave, the Sapphire Pulse RX 580, which sells for less than $200 new, and only needs a special dual 6pin to 8pin power adapter.

There's also a bunch of YouTube videos on how to flash PC GTX 680s to the Mac version, but you'd likely have to do the flashing on a PC.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 13, 2020

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

The problem for recyclers is really activation lock. Even with a T2 if it boots, I think you can get it into target disk mode and should be able to nuke it from there. There’s no bypassing activation lock though If you don’t have the cooperation of the last owner or aren’t the original purchaser.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Ah okay! now I understand, your post was very informative. thank you! it was only certain keplar cards that could work. Well ill check to see if he wants to get a 680, I believe I can flash it myself. right now i'm just trying to protect this guy from going to deep into upgrading his 3,1. I told him that apart from the solid state drive, that he should avoid putting more than 60ish bucks into this machine. and I had these parts laying around and figured it was worth a shot.

Oh I should have mentioned I also have a Radeon hd 5770 and a 6970. Would those work?

At this point i'm hesitant to do any opencore or Dosdude stuff yet because I don't think hes tech savvy enough to handle that. and I can't do it myself physically because of of the virus thing. Otherwise i would just drive over there with a usb stick and have this thing sorted out. so it has to be something he can basically just open up the case and plug in him self. he seems totally fine with the physical installation of parts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can't he install the Nvidia Web Drivers and run a PC 1080?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Typical posted:

oooh ooh okay I just went through the legwork on this. So, yes, you'll need the super duper special snowflake mini PCIe power cables but it sounds like that's square. Quadro 4000s are ~100bucks on ebay, as are GeForce 640s, both of which there are a Mac-flashed version e: now that I think about it, this isn't true, they "just work" shouldn't need any special cards for this, but a lot of the pulls you'll find on ebay are out of 3,1s it looks like. that "just work." 640 has the benefit of working off the 75w provided by the slot but is DVI-only.

DosDude's installer is just about the easiest, "hack," especially considering its scope, I've ever done. Can this guy really not install a Mac package and/or paste a few terminal commands in? Guides are plentiful and easy...

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 13, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

MrBond posted:

The problem for recyclers is really activation lock. Even with a T2 if it boots, I think you can get it into target disk mode and should be able to nuke it from there. There’s no bypassing activation lock though If you don’t have the cooperation of the last owner or aren’t the original purchaser.
yeah, thats what i'm referring to here, i should have been more specific.

Daniel Bryan posted:

My thoughts are similar. A computer shouldn't be rendered useless without having to contact Apple for the lock to be removed.
part of the problem is that contacting apple does nothing!

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I have a bit of a tough to solve ongoing problem with my 2014 27" Retina iMac (4GHz i7, AMD 295X), but you folks seem quite knowledgable and maybe there's something I haven't considered.

Whenever I'm doing processor or graphics intensive things (light 3D gaming in Parallels, sometimes even watching a YouTube in Safari or sharing my screen in MS Teams) my computer will abruptly shut off (the screen, the fans, my network connections). I can sometimes get it to come back by pressing the power button, and I don't lose my progress. Other times I press the power button after the failure and it starts up from cold boot.

It's been happening for quite a while, but it seems to be getting more frequent. I've tried all of easy stuff (NVRAM and SMC reset, hardware test on boot, totally fresh install of Catalina) and nothing seems to work.

Basically I'm convinced that the problem is with either the graphics card or perhaps the power supply. Apple Support hasn't been particularly helpful, especially because I can't mail in a 27" iMac and all of the Apple Stores in NYC are closed for the foreseeable future.

This was quite a pricy machine when I bought it and it's still more than powerful enough for my daily computing needs - I'd hate to have to toss it because it's so unstable. Any ideas would be appreciated!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds like a power supply issue.

Edit: or thermals have you considered opening it up and cleaning all the dust out? Also reapply the thermal grease like the other dude up thread did.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 13, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yeah, a good place to start is getting iStatMenus or another program that will display the readings of all the temperature sensors, just to eliminate thermals as a potential reason. some of the paste jobs on macs of that era in particular are super horrendous, and after 6 years it can't be any better.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Just got the new 2020 Pro (2 ports). Feels slightly snappier than the Air. Haven't done anything intensive yet, however.

Also, forgot to mention a good app for someone new to Macs is Onyx. Allows additional customization of certain settings, and is a good maintenance tool to run every once in a while.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Sounds like a power supply issue.

Edit: or thermals have you considered opening it up and cleaning all the dust out? Also reapply the thermal grease like the other dude up thread did.

Is replacing the power supply on an iMac a reasonable repair job to do at home? The iFixIt guide doesn't look that bad (and the part isn't that expensive): https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Power+Supply+Replacement/30530

I could also do some of the dust removal and thermal paste reapplication while I have it open for that repair, right?

yeah, a good place to start is getting iStatMenus or another program that will display the readings of all the temperature sensors, just to eliminate thermals as a potential reason. some of the paste jobs on macs of that era in particular are super horrendous, and after 6 years it can't be any better.

I actually had iStatMenus running until I did that clean install of Catalina a few days ago but I never noticed anything that wild looking - what numbers should I be looking for as "red flags?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I would definitely look at cleaning it out and re paste it before messing with the power supply.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Speaking of iStats Menu its on sale along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=ap_id

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

drat my trusty 15" MBP is almost going to go vintage status....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Crazy how my 9 year old MBP made in 2011 is still great but a laptop made in 2002 would be absolute garbage by 2011.

Although I had some crashing problems the other day because chrome was sitting on 16gigs of ram :wtc:

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 13, 2020