Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

can't say I ever expected the very first Mafia game to get a remake

https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1260601990918397952

Seems the release date will be on Aug 28th

Mafia II is getting a more touched up version which is listed on the Microsoft store as coming out next week

Okay that makes things more interesting. I like Mafia 1 but in that Witcher 1 way where I can’t exactly call it good but I can say I enjoy it, but that’s not really enough to buy it again (again). Need to watch this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does Dead Cells ever get a skip-ahead feature? I’m starting to get tired of these first few levels.
Not that I know of, but the timed doors are basically there exactly for people who just rush through the first few levels without bothering to fight or search for anything.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A friend of mine has thousands of shortcuts on their desktop, but all hidden.

Their computer runs like garbage but I can't tell if it's this inexplicable decision or some other inexplicable decision that's causing it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cardiovorax posted:

Not that I know of, but the timed doors are basically there exactly for people who just rush through the first few levels without bothering to fight or search for anything.
Timed doors do not substitute for the scrolls which are mandatory to fully collect beat the game past BC1. Timed doors just give you some equipment that doesn't matter, they are a fluff mechanic.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lone Goat posted:

I have had the same tab open for over two years, it's a picture of a cool bird and nothing you say or do can make me close it.

you cant say this and then not post the picture of the cool bird wtf

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Awesome! posted:

you cant say this and then not post the picture of the cool bird wtf

I too want to see the cool bird

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

No Wave posted:

Timed doors do not substitute for the scrolls which are mandatory to fully collect beat the game past BC1. Timed doors just give you some equipment that doesn't matter, they are a fluff mechanic.

Doesn't the game still scale up enemies based on the number of scrolls you've collected? There was actually a point where enemy scaling outpaced that of diminishing-returns scroll boosts meaning you actually wanted to stop at a certain number of scrolls. that used to be a thing in beta and launch, I haven't played it since then.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no they changed that a while back

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That no longer happens. Enemies now don't scale at all with the scrolls you have picked up, fundamentally meaning that they are scaled assuming that you collect every scroll and if you miss many you are hosed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People with more than 3 or 4 tabs open at a time are the modern equivalent of boomers clipping out newspaper articles because "I might want to read that later".

I open a tab for each of the SA threads I'm following and then browse my way through them as a background to my morning.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The new Viking AssCreed has me intrigued. But I haven’t played an AssCreed since like the second Ezio game and I hear the hidden blade isn’t even a thing anymore. What exactly are these games now? Just generic loot RPGs? Do they still have the dumb modern day conceit with Templars?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The new Viking AssCreed has me intrigued. But I haven’t played an AssCreed since like the second Ezio game and I hear the hidden blade isn’t even a thing anymore. What exactly are these games now? Just generic loot RPGs? Do they still have the dumb modern day conceit with Templars?
They're sort of Witcher 3-ish open world RPGs with Diablo style leveled loot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Look Sir Droids posted:

Think Witcher 3, but with an Asscreed Flavor.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having been kicking around assassin's creed origins for the past week or two, my main comparison would actually be witcher 3 by way of metal gear solid 5, of all things. wander around a map picking up quests, come across outposts, paint all your targets using your binoculars (eagle), sneak around shanking all their kidneys to clear them out, maybe hit a bunch with tranq darts, repeat

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hwurmp posted:

You're impossible to kill, but your only offense power is Combat Focus so it gets pretty goddamn repetitive

e: unless you mean no powers at all, not just human-only

well that's why I thought the survival mode stuff might be cool, if you need to actually worry about having weapons to use (as well as the other issues it adds) it might make encounters more tense, and maybe something you want to actively avoid like in the early game

the typhon powers basically make you invincible by the late game, you can farm Nightmares by stunning and spamming them with mind zaps, which is a shame because there's zero tension at that point

also no hacking! it's useful but in a speedrun kind of way, it just lets you get around solving lil puzzles or finding access codes as you go through the story. You're rarely getting into things you wouldn't have been able to otherwise, which isn't very cyberpunk

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

having been kicking around assassin's creed origins for the past week or two, my main comparison would actually be witcher 3 by way of metal gear solid 5, of all things. wander around a map picking up quests, come across outposts, paint all your targets using your binoculars (eagle), sneak around shanking all their kidneys to clear them out, maybe hit a bunch with tranq darts, repeat
Yeah, that's not a bad comparison. Add to that a constant grind to keep ahead of the gear curve and a bunch of more-or-less unique pre/suffix effects and you've got an idea of what it's like.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gort posted:

Their computer runs like garbage but I can't tell if it's this inexplicable decision or some other inexplicable decision that's causing it.
I don't think desktop shortcuts have affected performance like that since Windows 3.1. it's a pretty low overhead index so unless your rams dying it can probably handle the list.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's likely that person who floods their desktop with thousands of shortcuts probably has other computer habits that would degrade its performance

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cowcaster posted:

In a historical setting.

So Origins is my perfect game? Huh.

My one hang up with a Vikings AC is that while Origins and Odyssey cover classic civilizations, Vikings and their communities were just villages? But it will scratch that Skyrim rugged Nordic environment itch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man I think I'm getting into Elex

It took a few hours but eventually I remembered that Gothic games are 95% about finding ways to steal literally loving everything from everyone and making all decisions with the goal of benefiting yourself and no one else

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oh yes pro-tip for Elex, steal loving everything all the time. Find some sunglasses so you can spot even more poo poo to steal.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 14, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I remember that in addition to having to obey traffic laws in the original Mafia, you’d also get into trouble for brandishing a firearm in public. This was fine if you carried concealable weapons like pistols, but would be an issue for larger guns like the Tommy gun or bolt action rifle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Look Sir Droids posted:

In a historical setting.

So Origins is my perfect game? Huh.

My one hang up with a Vikings AC is that while Origins and Odyssey cover classic civilizations, Vikings and their communities were just villages? But it will scratch that Skyrim rugged Nordic environment itch.

It's actually set in England

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

No Wave posted:

That no longer happens. Enemies now don't scale at all with the scrolls you have picked up, fundamentally meaning that they are scaled assuming that you collect every scroll and if you miss many you are hosed.

Ah got it. That's probably a good change but yeah i can see that, probably should rework the timed doors to be more on par with finishing a level then.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

In Odyssey you can recruit your opponents to crew your ship! It's pretty lame, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

tight aspirations posted:

In Odyssey you can recruit your opponents to crew your ship! It's pretty lame, though.
You can also summon them into combat, but I never bothered. I already beat their rear end once, what could they possibly help me with that I can't handle myself?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's cool to call your own mom over to shank dudes on the battlefield.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Y'all I am about to make your loving day

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1260642470318108674
https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1260644479620362240

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They also did special scans for Darth Maul to make sure his robot legs were rendered properly.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Every OC I make is an old rear end man so this is great news.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

holy poo poo i love this

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

getting older all the time

feeling younger in my mind

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Xaris posted:

Ah got it. That's probably a good change but yeah i can see that, probably should rework the timed doors to be more on par with finishing a level then.

there's two ways to do doors now, one opens based on time and the other opens based on not getting hit

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

luxury handset posted:

i really appreciated that in LIS you had magical time bending powers but in LIS:BTS your super power was being the most seventeen year old teen on the planet

Those really aren't spoilers since they're described as core gameplay mechanics in promotional literature.

The original Life is Strange games benefit from being episodic adventures stories where you develop a deep connection to the characters, the locations, and the town itself is practically a character. The 'powers' in each game suffer from being used as a central part of driving the story in terms of the player's choices but in LiS as a gameplay mechanic that seemed more wasted potential then anything else. Being able to re-do a decision/choice based game events without save scumming is a great idea but it diminishes the impact of the choices and outcomes. If you don't get invested in the game as a whole you sort of go through it without really connecting emotionally or personally to any of the choices since the "fix-it" button was always an option and you aren't dealing with the later effects of a decision you made that had immediate and dramatic consequences.

I'm thinking about buying Life is Strange 2, but reading through the game thread (which ironically was maybe 12-15 regular posters several of who have been perma'd since then) paints a pretty clear picture that while the core idea is the same it takes a very different approach to the narrative improving in many ways but losing a lot of the charm from the first game. Dontnod's next game has dropped the Life is Strange title so maybe they learned from it.

I really can't praise enough how much I enjoyed LiS and Before the Storm. I haven't had a gaming experience like that in years and it'll probably remain as an all time great.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

What's your R/W speed? I really need some more external drives, but considering what those things cost I'd want to be sure I'm really getting anything out of it since that my fastest USB ports are only 3.0.

They’re not great, I cheaped out on the enclosures which was a mistake. Still better than redownloading poo poo over WiFi though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

pentyne posted:

Being able to re-do a decision/choice based game events without save scumming is a great idea but it diminishes the impact of the choices and outcomes.

Did you actually play beyond Chapter 1? The game does play with that a fair bit.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Gort posted:

I dunno if this is still a thing but there was a time in the not so distant past where having tons of desktop icons would absolutely gently caress up the performance of MacOS

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They’re not great, I cheaped out on the enclosures which was a mistake. Still better than redownloading poo poo over WiFi though.
Alright, thanks. Guess I'm just gonna get some conventional drives, then. Over USB 3.0 I get 100MB/s, which is still pretty good. It's certainly much cheaper.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Did you actually play beyond Chapter 1? The game does play with that a fair bit.

I did, I was more referring to certain things where you make a choice but the immediate outcome is wildly different then you expected. All the long term stuff that builds up like "X will remember this" or there's a consequence like 30 minutes later are much better as far as the story developing from the player's actions.

Similar thing happens in BTS, but I was stuck with the lovely outcome and just ran with it rather then save scumming because the game plays out more like a visual novel or show where the decision effects are more significant to the experience then getting the optimal route (like you could try for in LiS).

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This owns and I hope they don't change it, and if they do that they keep this an option.