Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Thoguh posted:

I mean, we are going to have to learn to live with this but that should mean stuff like mandating masks, realizing big groups won't be a thing anymore, anyone who can working from home, etc. Not just throwing up our hands and saying let er rip.

we aren't going to do that, we are going to do halfzies. those who can afford to be smart will be smart, those who cant will get hosed and the chuds are going chud. it's going to be the worst and dumbest possible thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Knight posted:

I can't die with my last theater experience being Rise of Skywalker

I can and will.

I'm sorry, how did you keep living?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

what could go wrong

https://twitter.com/JeffereyJaxen/status/1259329817255841792

oh

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1260436646882934786

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

COVID-420 posted:

can you cite a link or a source or anything that shows that fomites are not a significant form of transmission?

because i'm pretty sure sanitizing door handles is a good thing to do. and packaging gets touched by a lot more people than you think before it gets in your hands.

like "make sure to sanitize your airline seat" is the standard line from experts, but consumer goods are somehow exempt? "packaging is nothing to worry about" seems more like an attempt to protect the retail transaction experience and not people's health.

Packaging gets touched by a lot of people in the chain but not by a lot of people the day or two before it reaches your door. It's not a thing where there is zero chance of transmission but you'd need somebody to have coughed/sneezed on it (or touched it after cough/sneezing in to thier hand) and then have you touch it and then have you touch your face before you wash your hands. There's no reason not to take simple precautions but it really seems, right now at least, like the biggest vector for this isn't packaging.

It's the same reason takeout/delivery is by all accounts fine as long as you wash your hands after touching the containers since if there is anything contagious that's where it would be.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

YOSPOS

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Declan MacManus posted:

the poo poo thing is with all my experience i could easily get another job in food service, but if i want to try to work in an office or something where i could work remotely, i'm poo poo out of luck; i have a bachelor's degree in english so no one gives a poo poo

the gig economy is a spook and capitalism will feast on my corpse; having a normal one don't mind me

I was in the same position (10 yrs bartending/managing, English BA).

if you lie on your resume and do some basic projects you're qualified for low level marketing (lol) or clerical jobs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Atrocious Joe posted:

were you saying weeks ago that the Abbott tests you were using at work were terrible?

congrats? on being right

Nah wasn't me, I don't touch the poo, only take breathtaking images of it. I forget who it is that is an actual physician or some such that was in here saying how when they switched to Abbott the positives went to loving 0 which should immediately scare the poo poo out of anyone when you were getting 20% positives routinely

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

a large number of people are going to be shown to have insufficient faith in jesus when they die in a few weeks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My mom’s church went fully online and they’re a tiny korean church in LA. It ain’t that hard.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

just lol if you ever go outside again

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
So my wife is a professor at an unnamed university that is also the home to a major medical campus as well as being built around work for the EPA, NIOSH, and other similar organizations focused on environmental and workplace safety. Their plan so far for reopening is total chaos, and the prospect of spaced out seating and mask requirements are being floated. What I want to know, on the other hand, is why in the gently caress aren't institutions like universities - which often have easily controlled buildings and access regimes - figuring out a mechanism to become testing centers? I mean, I want the old profs to get out of the way as much as anyone, but the notion of packing a bunch of 60 yr olds into a musty room with 20 college kids seems like, oh, I dunno, a loving terrible idea. However, if you were regularly testing people, you could actually turn it into a test and trace program for a significant portion of the population, especially in college towns.

So I guess what I'm asking is, where do we buy some goddamn tests?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Consummate Professional posted:

just lol if you ever go outside again

Outside is mostly fine, it's inside that's the problem.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

the last movie I saw in a theater before covid was uh. jumanji the next level...

cool ...

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lmao

I'm not currently working and most of my coworkers took a leave of absence or are quitting, so we're in a group chat together and the couple people still there update us on it

they had the water fountains wrapped up and out of order for a while, but now that the store has reopened (only a certain section of the store is accessible to customers, and only a few customers allowed in at any one time), they have to keep them covered so customers don't use them, but that means employees can't as well, and the company won't let them mark out bottled water for store use. so it's either bring your own, or drink bathroom sink water.

one of our elderly coworkers came back from a LoA today and then passed out because of dehydration

and they want to fully open the store, and let in more customers!! hahaha

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

this coworker has been in and out of the hospital the whole time I've worked there, she had surgeries and infections and poo poo. and now she's getting sent to the hospital in the middle of a pandemic bc she passed out at work bc they don't provide the employees with water.

love to see it

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

not only does she run the very real risk of getting sick and dying now, but if she comes back to work again while asymptomatic, she could pass it onto my coworkers

she shouldn't have had to loving come back in the first place. she should be SAFE AT HOME

god drat america

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fasdar posted:

So my wife is a professor at an unnamed university that is also the home to a major medical campus as well as being built around work for the EPA, NIOSH, and other similar organizations focused on environmental and workplace safety. Their plan so far for reopening is total chaos, and the prospect of spaced out seating and mask requirements are being floated. What I want to know, on the other hand, is why in the gently caress aren't institutions like universities - which often have easily controlled buildings and access regimes - figuring out a mechanism to become testing centers? I mean, I want the old profs to get out of the way as much as anyone, but the notion of packing a bunch of 60 yr olds into a musty room with 20 college kids seems like, oh, I dunno, a loving terrible idea. However, if you were regularly testing people, you could actually turn it into a test and trace program for a significant portion of the population, especially in college towns.

Administrators have wanted an end to tenure for probably 30 years now. This is how they do it.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

hell yeah i was hoping someone would do this

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Steve Yun posted:

My mom’s church went fully online and they’re a tiny korean church in LA. It ain’t that hard.

The pope is doing masses over the internet that my mom and a lot of other Catholics are following.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

The last movie I saw was Detective Pikachu. No regrets.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sliami posted:

the last movie I saw in a theater before covid was uh. jumanji the next level...

cool ...

I actually think the last movie I saw in a theater was Guardians of the Galaxy, the first one.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

DEATH

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

direct action gets the goods

take note smart computer touching goons

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The difference is the korean congregation will continue to pump money into the church during this time. Lazy magachurch goers won't because they're all kenny powers at heart.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

snoo posted:

not only does she run the very real risk of getting sick and dying now, but if she comes back to work again while asymptomatic, she could pass it onto my coworkers

she shouldn't have had to loving come back in the first place. she should be SAFE AT HOME

god drat america

:lol:

SAFE AT HOME, unless Number needs our sacrifice!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

You know how a few weeks ago we had a lot of back and forth about whether coronavirus was “airborne” or not and we found that it’s mostly in droplet form but can sometimes go properly airborne in certain situations like during intubation?

Singing is one of those things that causes coronavirus to go properly airborne.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

incoherent posted:

The difference is the korean congregation will continue to pump money into the church during this time. Lazy magachurch goers won't because they're all kenny powers at heart.

Hmmm yeah maybe there’s something to that. being an immigrant will really drill the “we need to stick together” mentality into you

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Fasdar posted:

a prof friend out in Chicago has the same idea. ideal environment for test and trace and even isolation as long as you limit off campus visitors, etc.

no idea what they'll do though. lots of liability concerns

speaking of, whatever happened to Liberty U?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This House hearing is loving hilarious if you aren't watching it. Every Republican is being an info wars-tier nut job and Jim Clyburn is like "yea okay, thanks, next person" after every one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ahahahaha NPR just had a physician from my employer come on and say "we're going to have to learn to live with this" right after we were told in a 'town hall' zoom meeting that 'we're going to have to learn to live with this." very cool!

beautiful to see a machine working as designed

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

someone needs to update this for February through May

Only registered members can see post attachments!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Fasdar posted:

That would require responsibility, imagination and ingenuity. All three of these things are in short supply in today's America.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

a large number of people are going to be shown to have insufficient faith in jesus when they die in a few weeks

dude looks like papa john lmao

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MY LIFE FOR NUMBER

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sincx posted:

someone needs to update this for February through May

:lol: I forgot January happened

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

koreans aren't loving around with this

my little korean grocer in knoxville won't even let you in without a mask, and you have to put on gloves they provide when you walk in or else they loving kick you out lmao

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1260662552314490880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

ahahahaha NPR just had a physician from my employer come on and say "we're going to have to learn to live with this" right after we were told in a 'town hall' zoom meeting that 'we're going to have to learn to live with this." very cool!

:thunk: