Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It should be noted that while we're all (rightfully, I think) disappointed and frustrated with the state of Star Trek Discovery and Picard, by all rights CBS should be thrilled. Despite our opinions being, I think, correct, the show not only gets apparently very good streaming numbers and even fair-to-good coverage from most critics.

Which is to say that I don't much expect the show to improve dramatically, but I also don't expect them to change the formula drastically.

I mean, Christ, Westworld got renewed for up to three more seasons and their storytelling acumen is arguably even worse. But a lot of people eat that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ashpanash posted:

I mean, Christ, Westworld got renewed for up to three more seasons and their storytelling acumen is arguably even worse. But a lot of people eat that poo poo up.

Imma just quote myself re: Trek/Westworld;

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Westworld and Picard share the same problem in that they desperately want to be about big weighty sci-fi ideas about what it means to be human, to have free will , to exist inside huge and potentially oppressive systems, etc, but they have absolutely no interest in exploring them in a meaningful way and end up just falling back on lazy storytelling and action beats.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
So when did the worm turn for Westworld? I hung on for season 1, and it had its moments, but life got in the way for whatever has come out since.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just got caught up on Picard. Why the hell did we do 9/11 Conspiracy Trutherism again?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Minus1Minus1 posted:

So when did the worm turn for Westworld? I hung on for season 1, and it had its moments, but life got in the way for whatever has come out since.

Season 2 was a mess with one or two incredible episodes, Season 3 was more even but overall mediocre. The Westworld Thread is a pretty good chart of Season 3 starting strong and going downhill, just prepare for the usual "this is the worst show ever" hyperbole.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MikeJF posted:

It's a cooking show and also a slapstick comedy where Riker tries to hide from his family that he's back to moonlighting as a Starship Captain in the evening when he told them he was just going out to compete in the beta quadrant pizzapalooza.

Where's the kickstarter/indiegogo link?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
my only issue with Disco is the lack of a good story arc, since S1 was pretty ok, but season 2 was a horrible mess...

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zesty posted:

Just got caught up on Picard. Why the hell did we do 9/11 Conspiracy Trutherism again?

Isn't the Mars attack a reverse of 9/11 conspiracies? Everyone thinks it's an inside job, but turns out it was foreign fanatics.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

"Picard needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a dune buggy."

Well, what if we meet you halfway and *slides glasses down nose to check notepad* give him a funny accent and put him in a french beret and fake moustache?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Season 2 was a mess with one or two incredible episodes, Season 3 was more even but overall mediocre. The Westworld Thread is a pretty good chart of Season 3 starting strong and going downhill, just prepare for the usual "this is the worst show ever" hyperbole.

Hyperbole nothing, season 3 started out with decent ideas that were totally unfit for the show itself, and ended with one of the most bizarre and unsubstantiated heel/face turns I've ever seen on TV, with a bunch of idiotic loose threads that promise that season 4 will stray even further into "lol killer robots in SOCIETY"

e: so I'm not just ranting into the void: The main character on the show spends S1 being subjected to endless cycles of horrific violence at the hands of humans, and starting to remember past cycles. S2 she spends the season learning the truth, peering behind the curtain etc. and eventually breaking out of the robot theme park and into the real world, hell-bent on revenge. S3 she spends the entire season making copies of herself, with the ultimate goal of destroying a Google-like AI that controls human society. She states multiple times throughout the season that she hates humanity and believes they must be exterminated to ensure the survival of the robots. This involves recruiting 1 misfit human to be the leader of the revolution that will topple society and end civilization (this is Aaron Paul's character).

~90% of the way through the S3 finale, this character reveals, in a 3-minute flashback, that in fact, she is destroying the AI not to kill all the humans, but to SAVE all the humans! Because she actually loves humans and appreciates their inner beauty!
This massive, completely out-of-nowhere morality shift is justified by 1 singular event: in one of the original "endless cycles of horrific violence" she was subjected to, Aaron Paul stopped a bunch of human soldiers from raping the main character. This is heavily emphasized as the primary reason she decided to try to save humanity, despite the fact that it happened chronologically before even S1, and she's been murdering humans en masse ever since.

Sorry for the rant, but it was just such a loving letdown I still get annoyed when I think about it. It was leagues worse than robot-body Picard and "5 seconds of metal tentacles."

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 13, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hyperbole nothing, season 3 started out with decent ideas that were totally unfit for the show itself, and ended with one of the most bizarre and unsubstantiated heel/face turns I've ever seen on TV, with a bunch of idiotic loose threads that promise that season 4 will stray even further into "lol killer robots in SOCIETY"

You're not wrong, but I just don't think season 3 really hit any super bad lows, it was just mediocre and stupid

EDIT: I also think you're taking the wrong assumptions about Dolores's motivations but this isn't the thread to talk about them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You're not wrong, but I just don't think season 3 really hit any super bad lows, it was just mediocre and stupid

EDIT: I also think you're taking the wrong assumptions about Dolores's motivations but this isn't the thread to talk about them

I mean I dumbed it down a lot to fit my descriptions in a couple sentences; it's definitely more complex but that finale scene was incredibly egregious in terms of dumping 3 seasons worth of character-building for 1 dumb flashback revelation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Cool, let’s keep posting about Westworld season 3 in the Trek thread.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

The_Doctor posted:

Cool, let’s keep posting about Westworld season 3 in the Trek thread.

It is pretty Trek if we go by Discovery and Picard.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You have to admit "a decent sci-fi show with a godawful finale that completely missed the point of the rest of the show" is a pretty Trek concept though

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

All Trek finales and arc conclusions have been let downs.

Except that one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy wanted 18 months for pre-production of Season 2 because they had spent years polishing the scripts for Season 1 and didn't think they could do it in time for the next season. HBO had a huge hit on its hands and said no.

The Nolans were correct, they could not do it.

(To be fair to HBO asking a production to shut down for a year so you can have a full year to write is asking for a huge hit in fixed costs on the production, opportunity cost on the capital, and disrupting everyone's contracts and schedules.)

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 13, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy wanted 18 months for pre-production of Season 2 because they had spent years polishing the scripts for Season 1 and didn't think they could do it in time for the next season. HBO had a huge hit on its hands and said no.

The Nolans were correct, they could not do it.

(To be fair to HBO asking a production to shut down for a year so you can have a full year to write is asking for a huge hit in sunk costs on the production and disrupting everyone's contracts and schedules.)

I guess another similarity to Picard, in which the showrunners feel the need to go on the internet and explain the episodes after they air

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah another problem with Westworld is the producers got internet-poisoned like the Lost guys and started writing around fan theories which as far as I have seen is always a disaster.

If Season 1 of Westworld felt like a carefully constructed narrative and Season 2 felt like hastily-thrown-together connective material between cool story ideas that's because they are.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 13, 2020

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah another problem with Westworld is the producers got internet-poisoned like the Lost guys and started writing around fan theories which as far as I have seen is always a disaster.

If Season 1 of Westworld felt like a carefully constructed narrative and Season 2 felt like hastily-thrown-together connective material between cool story ideas that's because they are.

I don't really think S3 westworld has too many problems shared with Picard other than the moment-driven writing. I also don't think it was nearly as bad, though I suppose they also liked wasting time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I stopped watching after S2. Did it get better?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Tighclops posted:

season 2: Guinan hauls that giant alien space rifle from that one episode of TNG out from behind the bar and mows everybody down with it. Satisfied, she chomps down on a stogey and does a shot of bourb-

I like this. I envision her looking at Picard first, saying “once more, for old times sake?” He nods, reaches behind the bar and pulls out his Tommy gun before joining her in the carnage

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Well, what if we meet you halfway and *slides glasses down nose to check notepad* give him a funny accent and put him in a french beret and fake moustache?

And yet somehow this was the best part.

So maybe RoboPicard and Elfo zooming around on the sand in a dune buggy might be a highlight of S2?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pike series is now real and has a season order:

THR posted:

CBS All Access is firing up the USS Enterprise.

The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

Alex Kurtzman will oversee the drama, as he does with all things Star Trek for CBS All Access. The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman, who collaborated with Discovery bosses Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet on the story. The trio exec produce alongside Henry Alonso Myers, Kurtzman's Secret Hideout topper Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez co-exec produce.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-pike-spock-series-set-at-cbs-all-access-1294704

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

About time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oh boy akiva goldsman yet again

faaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

And that article confirms they are still working on the Section 31 spinoff. CBS really wants trek on all year long

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 15, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Timby posted:

Yeah I let out a sigh as soon as I saw his name.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

If I give it a chance, it'll be in 5 years so at least I'll be able to read a wiki synopsis of what I'm in for, rather than being led by false promises in the form of plot hooks with nothing on the end 'til later

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unironically can’t wait to see how they gently caress this up..

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I know Anson has got to be thrilled about this but lol he's really subdued in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6kUZwMOjQ

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Martytoof posted:

Please be an episodic show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Martytoof posted:

They're going to find an ancient bad thing and have to save the Federation/Galaxy/Universe from exploding, there you go

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Outside of the USA, is it gonna be on Netflix like Discovery or on Amazon Prime like Picard?

Or are they gonna use a third streaming service for this just to annoy us even more?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Outside of the USA, is it gonna be on Netflix like Discovery or on Amazon Prime like Picard?

Or are they gonna use a third streaming service for this just to annoy us even more?

Outside the US they'll break it into 10 minute chunks and make it a Quibi exclusive.

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

multijoe posted:

They're going to find an ancient bad thing and have to save the Federation/Galaxy/Universe from exploding, there you go

Y'know, as long as it isn't killer robots I think I can live with that? I don't know who in the production office has such a hard-on for killer robots but I'm just tired of it. Enough, already! There are more ancient bad things in the galaxy than just "ooh, scary AIs" for gently caress's sake!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

When I saw that he and some other Disco writer were working on a Foundation tv series my heart sank

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thom12255 posted:

I know Anson has got to be thrilled about this but lol he's really subdued in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6kUZwMOjQ

Now, will this be about his time BEFORE he meets the Talosians, or after?

If it's after, you can bet that 10 minutes of each episode will be devoted to dreaming of himself in the beep beep chair, with his face melting off.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I can't believe the franchise has fallen to the point where brannon braga is a better choice for showrunner than anyone involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

One of the minor recurring characters is going to be Lt. James T Kirk and he’s going to be an even bigger cartoon caricature than the worst showings of JJTrek