Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Usually, if there were two kids with the same name in a class, they'd be Kevin S and Kevin J, right?

My school, like I said, was pretty small. One year two boys had to go by Kevin Ste and Kevin Sta loooool they never got placed in the same class after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

hyperhazard posted:

My parents say the same thing about my name--"it was so unusual, we didn't know anyone else who had it!" There were 3 other kids with the same name in my 1st grade class alone.

Everyone says this. My boss named his daughter Sophie, claiming they thought it would be a unique name these days. That kid has 3-4 other Sophie/Sophias in her class.

I always had another kid with my name in class but at least it wasn't a "half the class" situation. As an adult I dated several Emilys in a row (early 90s name) and as someone who forgets names, it was useful lol.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Somehow in elementary school, we had not only two Jasons, but they had the same last name and ended up in the same class. One spelled Jason, the other was Jayson, so when talking about one of them, you'd have to refer to the spelling.

Jason moved in midyear, which made it so dumb that they put him in the same class as Jayson. There were five other teachers in that grade and class numbers were evenly distributed.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

Everyone says this. My boss named his daughter Sophie, claiming they thought it would be a unique name these days. That kid has 3-4 other Sophie/Sophias in her class.

I always had another kid with my name in class but at least it wasn't a "half the class" situation. As an adult I dated several Emilys in a row (early 90s name) and as someone who forgets names, it was useful lol.

Omg Emilies. They were always, like, the kittycat sweatsuit girls at my school. There was usually one per grade but tbh they all look the same in my memory.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

hyperhazard posted:

My parents say the same thing about my name--"it was so unusual, we didn't know anyone else who had it!" There were 3 other kids with the same name in my 1st grade class alone.

So they thought, gently caress it, and decided to give my sister a variation of a popular name, hoping there wouldn't be too many in her grade (think Krista instead of Kristen). Guess which name she gets called all the time.

My brother's named Chris (84), and about 5 or 6 of his friends were also named Chris. 'Well, which Chris's house are you going to? Chris M, Chris B, or the other Chris M?' My first name is Laura, and all of those Laur- names were pretty popular, so I was constantly getting called Laurie or Lauren. No surprise, a lot of the gaggle of Chrises had a younger sister with a Laur- name too.

I was in nearly every class with another Laura. My classmates didn't go by last initials or anything, they differentiated us by calling her 'Laura-Girl' and me 'Laura-Guy' :sigh:

I switched to using my middle name after I got out of highschool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We had two Scotts in my primary school. It was a rural region, so I imagine that might have been a rare exception to parents naming their kids keeping in mind what the neighbours (in very relative fashion) named their kids to avoid confusion.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

None of these are terrible names, but I'll allow it. I guess that's the one advantage of all the weird new names, you're less likely to be classmates with someone who has the same name. At the very least, the spelling will probably be different.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was in nearly every class with another Laura. My classmates didn't go by last initials or anything, they differentiated us by calling her 'Laura-Girl' and me 'Laura-Guy' :sigh:

Because...you were a tomboy? That's easy to brush off as an adult, but it must have sucked back in school.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

LadyPictureShow posted:

My brother's named Chris (84), and about 5 or 6 of his friends were also named Chris. 'Well, which Chris's house are you going to? Chris M, Chris B, or the other Chris M?' My first name is Laura, and all of those Laur- names were pretty popular, so I was constantly getting called Laurie or Lauren. No surprise, a lot of the gaggle of Chrises had a younger sister with a Laur- name too.

I switched to using my middle name after I got out of highschool.

I worked on a project with two Lauras, a Lauren, and a Laurent, so I feel you. Conference calls were fun.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

TheKennedys posted:

Hell, I know so many Mikes and Joshes (also James and William but that's hardly new) to this day that most of them have been given weird nicknames or get called by last names. Jason also seems like one of those super 80s names that I ran across a ton of in school, but my OB/GYN is at least 50 and called Jason, which is very weird to me

my brother Jason ('74) has about 6 other friends also named Jason. they all call each other by their last name.

i worked with 3 Ashleys; they were Aashley, Dashley, and Mashley. and also 2 amandas with the same last initial, so one went by AJ
thankfully i have a "normal" name but not popular enough that I've ever been in a class with multiples, though the '90s were real rough with saved by the bell and everyone loving tiffani-amber thiessen's character.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

My 80s schools had multiple girls named Jennifer, Sara(h), and Heather. Now that I think of it there was a girl whose first and middle name were both Jennifer with two different spellings.

The basic boy names were Mike, Chris and Jason.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

DemonDarkhorse posted:

my brother Jason ('74) has about 6 other friends also named Jason. they all call each other by their last name.

i worked with 3 Ashleys; they were Aashley, Dashley, and Mashley. and also 2 amandas with the same last initial, so one went by AJ
thankfully i have a "normal" name but not popular enough that I've ever been in a class with multiples, though the '90s were real rough with saved by the bell and everyone loving tiffani-amber thiessen's character.

every Kelly/Kelli I've ever met has been either spoiled rotten or bugfuck insane so thank you for presumably breaking the trend, though you are a goon

other names I have had recurring terrible encounters with:
Eric
Chase
Michaela/Makayla/Micaela
Jordan, male or female

defend yourselves

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Girls named Melanie, Tanya, and Jessica always hate me. But that's because they have dumb names for HORSE BOOKS.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

TheKennedys posted:

other names I have had recurring terrible encounters with:
Eric

Facts. Every Eric I've known has been a) an rear end in a top hat, and b) the kind of guy who tells people he was Special Forces even though he absolutely was not.
Unrelated: I like to collect the terrible baby names from personalized Etsy products. Hopefully none of these are repeats cause I forgot what I posted in this thread before.

Tag urself, I'm EAN.

Tesla Elise

Kinlee

Gracelyn and Graceton

Blakeli

Mckinslea

Markon

Of all of them I hate Blakeli the most though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I was born in the early '90s, Australia. There are an absurd number of Rubys my age. I know 3 pairs of sisters called Ruby and Grace (and 1 fictional pair from some sitcom). Oliver, Ashley, Alex, and Matt were the other names du jour.
Also, I've mentioned it itt before, but my cousin (born mid '00s) had to go by her middle name at school, because one of the other 11 kids in her class was also called Tigerlily.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Usually, if there were two kids with the same name in a class, they'd be Kevin S and Kevin J, right?

My school, like I said, was pretty small. One year two boys had to go by Kevin Ste and Kevin Sta loooool they never got placed in the same class after that.

My third grade class had four kids named Chris, two of whom shared the same last initial. The teacher never made an effort to specify which one she was addressing, and was invariably pissed off when all four of them answered at the same time.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.

TheKennedys posted:

every Kelly/Kelli I've ever met has been either spoiled rotten or bugfuck insane so thank you for presumably breaking the trend, though you are a goon

i take drugs for the insanity, so...

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

In my very small school (maybe 18 kids in the 3rd grade class?) there were two unrelated girls named Eliza Chalmers. They were known as Eliza Chalmers Short Hair and Eliza Chalmers Long Hair up to high school graduation (despite any intervening haircuts).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Telemaze posted:

Facts. Every Eric I've known has been a) an rear end in a top hat, and b) the kind of guy who tells people he was Special Forces even though he absolutely was not.
Unrelated: I like to collect the terrible baby names from personalized Etsy products. Hopefully none of these are repeats cause I forgot what I posted in this thread before.

Tag urself, I'm EAN.

What's wrong with Nicholas and Noah? I think those have been around long enough to be well established names.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

jojoinnit posted:

What's wrong with Nicholas and Noah? I think those have been around long enough to be well established names.

There's several completely fine names there (honestly I think they're all ultimately fine, it's none of my business what other people name their babies), I posted it for the weird ones. I don't know how you can look at that and even notice the common names with A X S O N right up top.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm Nuuwuuii or Smane.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

wheatpuppy posted:

In my very small school (maybe 18 kids in the 3rd grade class?) there were two unrelated girls named Eliza Chalmers. They were known as Eliza Chalmers Short Hair and Eliza Chalmers Long Hair up to high school graduation (despite any intervening haircuts).

I don't know why this is so funny, but it is.

I keep thinking of the three Erics from the Wayside School books: "All three Erics had nicknames. Eric Bacon was called "Fatso", because the other two Erics were fat, Eric Fry was called "Butterfingers", because the other two Erics weren't very good at sports, and Eric Ovens was called Crabapple because the other two Erics were mean."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Think there used to be a Wayside show on Cartoon Network, I kind of liked it. I remember the main character always getting sent home early or something, every single episode.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Think there used to be a Wayside show on Cartoon Network, I kind of liked it. I remember the main character always getting sent home early or something, every single episode.

That's Todd.

I was always jealous; I definitely would have been sent home like every day on the kindergarten bus if I'd been in Mrs. Jewls's class.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh yeah, Todd. It was obviously a show for kids, but I always liked it, reminded me of those carefree elementary school days that were magical in their own way.

It also had this cool ska/pop-punk intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9wuiKmnC2Y

Come to think of it, a lot of cartoons had theme songs like that in that era. I don't know why. I was always unironically rocking out to them

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

Oh yeah, Todd. It was obviously a show for kids, but I always liked it, reminded me of those carefree elementary school days that were magical in their own way.

It also had this cool ska/pop-punk intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9wuiKmnC2Y

Come to think of it, a lot of cartoons had theme songs like that in that era. I don't know why. I was always unironically rocking out to them

The books hold up; I reread them a couple years ago when I was working as a children's librarian and they were still pretty good.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Growing up we had three Maggies but not a lot of other duplicates that I recall, at least that actually went by the same name. There were a few I shared a first name with, but one went by her middle name, and the other two by first + middle (which it occurs to me I don't think I've seen anyone do since I left the south).

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Emily Spinach posted:

[...]and the other two by first + middle (which it occurs to me I don't think I've seen anyone do since I left the south).

If someone has a singsongy name I can't help but append a singsongy middle name to it to complete the rhythm, I feel like that's how a lot of those names happen. It feels very Southern, yes. It's gotta be the right combo of first name with the stress in the right place and short middle name to work, which is basically why my daughter's names are in the order they are. It's the rhythm of the name for me at least, and probably the era when there were less first names and everyone was called Mary or Sarah that led to dual names like that. I dunno why this thread and names overall are so interesting to me but I love this poo poo :v:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

If someone has a singsongy name I can't help but append a singsongy middle name to it to complete the rhythm, I feel like that's how a lot of those names happen. It feels very Southern, yes. It's gotta be the right combo of first name with the stress in the right place and short middle name to work, which is basically why my daughter's names are in the order they are. It's the rhythm of the name for me at least, and probably the era when there were less first names and everyone was called Mary or Sarah that led to dual names like that. I dunno why this thread and names overall are so interesting to me but I love this poo poo :v:

something like Beauregard Cletus Jackson, or?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The books hold up; I reread them a couple years ago when I was working as a children's librarian and they were still pretty good.

They really captured that feeling of being a kid where things are weird and arbitrary because you kind of understand cause and effect but don’t really see the details of what’s happening so everything is super surreal. I found my old copies when I was cleaning out the basement a few years ago and sat down to read them and they were for sure something special.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Time to clear out my list of names.

Brian Brian (yes, both first and last name are Brian)
Voilet
Pure Dior
Ottaley
Tinsity
Velvety
Praise
Zickerfoose (last name)
Capree'ce
Eejean
Jaysson
Krosbie
Wrinkles (last name)
Issiac
Heathir
Markalyn
Chadney
Randy Lady (first and last name)
Christopher Robbins (first and last name)
Anjelah
Anjala

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My dorm floor my freshman year of college had ~35 people and 7 were named Mike. Lots of weird alternative names. I think one still goes by Seamus to this day.

My friend James has gone by the name ‘Gabe’ since early adolescence even though it’s a contraction of ‘gay boy’ which was initially meant by his friends as a playful insult (he’s not gay).

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's just really sad.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

That's just really sad.

In my head canon, it rhymes with "toilet."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant stop reading Blakeli as Bla-kelly like someones italian grandma refusing to accept the kids name is Blake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ITT the real reason GI Joe uses codenames.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Teketeketeketeke posted:

In my head canon, it rhymes with "toilet."

Mine too. I'm assuming this is illiterate parents who made a mistake while registering their child's birth. Like Oprah's parents.

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

summone
kingnehemiah
blessing amiracle
dijonnaise
palestine
nequol
ocean
jezabel
anautica
jrake
brentt
wakesay
kehonest
tymody
loyalti
phersathiny (based on a quick google search, this is almost exclusively tied to hispanic last names. idgi)
dimple (has a traditional indian last name, so not sure if this is lost in translation. made me giggle)

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

that... that simply can't be true?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Hilarius II posted:

that... that simply can't be true?

Considering all the Micheal Hunts I saw in the database when I worked in sales, nothing shocks me anymore.

And these weren’t people giving fake names, they made purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I know of two Michael Hunts personally. I also just spoke with a lady named Brooklyn Hooker.