Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Limited is fun to play but most of the creatures involved are loving boring and very unexciting to the uninitiated

It's a porcupine AND a parrot, what more do you fuckin want???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dr. Stab posted:

This is like bot drafting except worse because there isn't even a facsimile of signals.
I'm not one to defend Artifact in any way but it does stop crazy undervalued cards from getting through. Like this approach would theoretically prevent situations like gatefiesta during RNA (Artifact cards had no synergies so again not really relevant).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

No Wave posted:

(Artifact cards had no synergies).

Let me tell you about how many negative fucks I could give about a game with this as a selling point.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Jace was more expensive than I think all duals at its peak in 2011. This is saying that the magic market is busted and should be destroyed, thank you

Yeah, you're right. I had a dozen underground seas during that year because it was easier to trade for than Jace. Polluted Delta was also still around $20. It was a great time to get into legacy and stop playing standard when cawblade was dominating and then delver came. What I'm trying to say is that maybe standard has always sucked.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

What I'm trying to say is that maybe standard has always sucked.

all constructed has sucked, always. we should only ever play limited and divest ourselves of all magical possessions after every tournament (unless you want to keep the cards to make a cube, then it's ok).

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Limited is fun to play but most of the creatures involved are loving boring and very unexciting to the uninitiated

Yeah but who cares about the perspective of the uninitiated when it comes to MTG E-Sports? It's not like anyone who doesn't already play would ever watch it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

PleasantDirge posted:

You want to buy my set of starters? You don't have PM's

hit me up at ilmucche@gmail.com and we can discuss!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

It's a porcupine AND a parrot, what more do you fuckin want???

You just posted one of the most exciting and interesting uncommons across multiple sets

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Imo standard has been good more than it’s been lovely since Dominaria, but it’s pretty close to 50/50.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah but who cares about the perspective of the uninitiated when it comes to MTG E-Sports? It's not like anyone who doesn't already play would ever watch it.

I have bad news for you about who they want to be watching those streams and what they might be willing to do to get it

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LeafHouse posted:

That's something they want to change to get big bux, you see.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fadam posted:

Imo standard has been good more than it’s been lovely since Dominaria, but it’s pretty close to 50/50.

I enjoyed the two ravnica sets but I normally play draft chaff in standard.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

No Wave posted:

(Artifact cards had no synergies so again not really relevant).

It had exactly one synergy (a two-card combo that made infinite mana that happened to be in the same color as a bunch of card draw and one-sided boardwipes)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The idea of drafting a set without any synergies in it sounds abysmal

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Richard Garfield's masterpiece, everyone.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The George Lucas of magic

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Artifact is one of those games where I don’t know anything about it but everything I hear makes it sound absolutely awful, even when explained by people who really enjoyed the game.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have bad news for you about who they want to be watching those streams and what they might be willing to do to get it

Hopefully it's not something they alter the game to try and accommodate. FPS games and Moba's at least make some sense in that you're watching things happen but for someone that doesn't already know the game and cards Magic is possibly the worst spectator sport I can imagine.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

The idea of drafting a set without any synergies in it sounds abysmal

It was the intro set, so it is more like the only set of magic existing is Core Set 20xx and it is really straightforward and boring because they had plans to introduce more complex sets, but whoops, only 3 people still play it.

Don't blame Garfield for Artifact either, they managed to destroy their audience for their autochess battler Dota Underlords incredibly quickly as well despite never monetizing it. TFT and Hearthstone Battlegrounds appear to be doing well so it appears to just be a Valve problem.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Just copy and pasting the entry/prizes from MTGO to Artifact was hilarious though, no one but magic players put up with that.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Chiming in to say that playing cawblade mirrors incredibly stoned on mtgo did something to the priming part of my brain that is only matched when deep in flow state while coding. So many moves ahead and patterns etc that were hard to consciously consider lol

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

We had Combo Winter, Eldrazi Summer, and now Companion Quarantine.

MtG never changes. :allears:

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Robviously posted:

We had Combo Winter, Eldrazi Summer, and now Companion Quarantine.

MtG never changes. :allears:

Don't forget Okotober

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Companions are good, brainstorm and fetches are bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Companions are good, brainstorm and fetches are bad.

You’ve finally run your gimmick too far, Panzeh, we see through it now

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

companions are great, they lead to fun gameplay. There's a lot to consider, like if you have cards in your hand that you'd rather play than your companion and if you'd rather play those instead.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 14, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’d rather they’d be gone, but I think people are overblowing how bad companions are in standard. From my personal experience, Modern is hosed tho lol.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think the impact on standard is overdramatized and standard isn't actually very different from how it was a month ago. But I also don't think there's any real nuance that companions add to the game and I assume people who say that they're interesting are trolling.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Hasn't Lurrus basically become a must-have for a lot of Vintage decks now?

lol: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=25684&d=390905&f=VI

They can't ban it and restricting it would do nothing. Good job guys!

Good thing no one cares about Vintage.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Entropic posted:

They can't ban it and restricting it would do nothing. Good job guys!
Why can't they ban it?

Also, Magic players only hate this mechanic because they don't know what it's like to have friends. :smugbert:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

I do think the impact on standard is overdramatized and standard isn't actually very different from how it was a month ago. But I also don't think there's any real nuance that companions add to the game and I assume people who say that they're interesting are trolling.

Has anyone done the math on how much advantage a companion deck has over a non-companion deck, just from the extra bs?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Has anyone done the math on how much advantage a companion deck has over a non-companion deck, just from the extra bs?
You can't really do that math because there are deckbuilding restrictions and other factors. The closest you can get is looking at mulligan statistics and extrapolating whatever conclusion you want from there but whatever number arrived at would basically be made up.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
the strength of companions in standard is absolutely not even remotely overstated. they are extremely, exceptionally good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Once you realize companion means “start the game with an extra card in your hand” it does seem seems kinda busted for standard

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Once you realize companion means “start the game with an extra card in your hand” it does seem seems kinda busted for standard

Not just an extra card, but a particular one that you can plan around having. It's nutso.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Why can't they ban it?

I mean, Vintage's defining feature is that they don't ban cards (other than like ante and dexterity cards).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickos_yes_hahaha_yes.png

https://twitter.com/klug_alters/status/1260709627575951361?s=19

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Entropic posted:

I mean, Vintage's defining feature is that they don't ban cards (other than like ante and dexterity cards).
Yeah, there are the exceptions you mentioned plus at least conspiracies. No reason there couldn't just be another banned mechanic. These aren't laws of physics.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's not that they literally can't ban, it just looks worst doing it in that format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

ilmucche posted:

hit me up at ilmucche@gmail.com and we can discuss!

Done! Anyone else smell toast?