Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

In all honesty I don't think he cares at all anymore, he knows his poo poo is two+ generations behind the curve. He's in it to milk whales and ride out legal obligations to investors at this point but he knows the whole thing has failed, that was the undercurrent of the "I absolve myself" video.

Yep. :)

The only thing we need is for them to just say "we're done guys! This is our vision! Yay!" and that could literally happen at any time. It's just one board meeting away from being fully done.

Then you can start donating to the next kickstarter they will inevitably almost immediately start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I am Hardcore Mind

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

Yeah the famous absolution video is now 2 years old, since then there’s been a huge walking back of expectations. The subtext of the last 2 CitCons really was “This is it. This is all we have. There’s never going to any more than our current drip feed of broken non-content.” Chris has to know that he can deliver anything close to what he promised for the PU.

But he’s still there and still presumably in charge. CIG is still burning money and man hours, and there are still big moves going on behind the scenes, like whatever this business with Firesprite is. Then there was the whole Rexshilla marketing push of 2019.

It seems to me that he still believes that something can be salvaged from this mess, and he’s been casting around for it. It seems like for a while they thought Theaters of War was going to be it, and could be popular enough with a new crowd that the PU and all of its development debt would just wither away. Now it could be a multi platform release of SQ42.

I don't think there's anything to salvage. Considering how the general gaming public, assuming they're even aware of CIG, have turned largely against it and now know it's a muddled, terminal mess, if CIG had even 1% of what was needed to turn that opinion around they'd be trumpeting it on street corners.

The "no spoilers" poo poo was a lousy excuse that served the double purpose of implying that stuff Chris writes can be "spoiled" when in reality what spoils it is that he wrote it. Anything - ANYTHING - that would make CIG look even remotely competent would be front-and-center all day every day.

They have nothing.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Unreal Engine 5 just revealed and showed some interesting new tech that hopefully inspires CIG as well...

See over here: UNREAL 5 TECH DEMO VIDEO
- Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry, which frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see.
- Lumen, a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes.
Kinda amazed by their tech in this case and here's hoping that CIG gets inspired as well, that Nanite tech seems very impressive, I wonder if it could be used for Ships as well, it would certainly seem to reduce asset production, seeing that you most likely wouldn't have to make any low poly models anymore, if I understand it correctly.

:eng101: I mean this is the opportunity cost of technical debt - you fall behind trying to put flashy graphics tech before building blocks like OCS and server meshing and before long you're lapped by other emerging technologies that makes your game look dated.

:nyd: Kinda wack to suggest the game looks "dated" because a demo comes out with tech no one's using. There's still no real alternative to what SC is doing. If it was that easy to fulfill SC's ambitions then another studio would have taken up the mantle and started gobbling up the market for complex space sims that we now know exists.

:crossarms: It doesn't look dated today, but by the time it releases it will definitely look dated.. very dated I'm afraid.

:rant: In their defense - the community is largely responsible. It's an endless string of pitchforks demanding a playable game at a point in the development where a playable game isn't on the table. Arguably - in a closed-door development cycle, they WOULD build things like OCS/Netcode first. But they need to sell pretty things to stay afloat and we demand a playable product ahead of schedule. It's a bad set up, in the end. They'd have been better off never deploying the PU, although the funding probably wouldn't be the same either.

:airquote: Counterpoint: Here is a line from CR in a letter from the chairman in 2014
"We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012)." :trustme:
If the excuse in 2020 has become "they need to sell things to stay afloat", then they have either wasted the vast majority of funding provided to them, or they've always been lying about it all. Either way they created this situation themselves. No one forced them to do things the way they've been doing them, they have shown time and time again that in the end they care very little for the opinion of a vocal subset of the community too. The only reason they're doing things this way is because they want to sell pretty pixels for more cash. The end result is a game that isn't progressing at all it seems, and other games slowly but surely overtaking them in the graphics department aswell, give it another 5 years and the engine they're trying to cobble together will be completely obsolete... But 5 years seems an optimistic estimate for release at this rate of "development".

:argh: The whole, its the backers fault thing strikes a nerve with me. As if the backers have any real pull when it comes to CRs game. He had to get kicked out of Digital Anvil when he didnt produce for MS, you think his direction changes with backer opinion? Eff no.... And the "well early backers voted for this" rhetoric is just as tiring. You poll only people whove paid enough attention to even know Star Citizen was a thing, and only poll people whove financially backed. Basically ask the space sim fam crowd of people backing the project, "do you want a better game"?... of course people will vote yes. If you could travel back in time and add the caveat itd be 2022 before sq42 came out, i doubt youd have such avid support. But my point is, the poll is already inherently biased due to the people and type of funding the project. Saying its on backers for this turning into a 9 or 10 year dev cycle for the singleplayer portion is bananas

:tif:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb with an opinion here, and a personal opinion, mind you, that admittedly has no supporting evidence. Call it a "hunch." But I'm starting to think that maybe - maybe - Chris Roberts doesn't know what he's doing.

You forgot the paragraphs where you explain how dedicated you are, your belief in the vision, your total sum of donated money, and an additional reinforcement to how much you love Chris Roberts and his life.

Otherwise good!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

*Crobear sweating intensifies

SC is already dated looking, but in 1-2 years it’s going to be absolutely buried.

I also like how this is now the second new version of Unreal and the second new console generation to launch since Star Citizen began development.

I will now predict the future, the :reddit: future

"Of course it looks a bit dated, it's an indie game!"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

lol that guys org
this fuckin guy

quote:

So another vid from a butthurt who can't understand the difference between "lies" and "changes in game scale and tech". You wish any other game development in history was sincere and open to the public eyes like SC and SQ42

quote:

"star citizen: a brief history of lying" is the name of one of the vids. it's made of edited bs and "criticism" which was addressed and answered thousand times. it also fails to mention many things, most importantly the community's part in upgrading the scales of the project in polls and on Spectrum. this is clearly another butthurt and boring crusader, someone have to keep the fight on when DS went underground.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

The Titanic posted:

This may come as something of a shock to you, but I usually don't put the phrase "imagine myself" ending with "making GBS threads myself" together at any time. Not even in my wild dreams.

Don't be afraid to dream commando! I know it hurts to be disappointed, but Star Citizen can make even your wildest pants-making GBS threads fantasies come true! Have faith, shitizen

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

I will now predict the future, the :reddit: future

"Of course it looks a bit dated, it's an indie game!"
I think they'll go with "all mmos have to sacrifice graphics for gameplay" lol

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/3zLygkg.gifv

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think there's anything to salvage. Considering how the general gaming public, assuming they're even aware of CIG, have turned largely against it and now know it's a muddled, terminal mess, if CIG had even 1% of what was needed to turn that opinion around they'd be trumpeting it on street corners.

The "no spoilers" poo poo was a lousy excuse that served the double purpose of implying that stuff Chris writes can be "spoiled" when in reality what spoils it is that he wrote it. Anything - ANYTHING - that would make CIG look even remotely competent would be front-and-center all day every day.

They have nothing.

I’m not really saying they have some ace up their sleeve that we aren’t seeing, as much as Chris still believes that he can salvage something and that is why he hasn’t walked away yet.

But I will go out on a limb and say that we will eventually see SQ42 released in some form. It will be a horrible poo poo pile of a game, but it will see the light of day. I’m pretty sure that there was actually an older version of SQ42 that was close to being done at one point, but it was scrapped sometime after the vertical slice demo in 2017. Since then I think Chris has been furiously trying to refactor the whole thing in a vain attempt to try to catch up with modern games.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalPenny posted:

while im out of work now .. well i should have some new contracts lined up to start in july.

In the meantime i''m looking into starting production of rum, im not sure what the relevant qualifications are but i think i can start my own rum label up. i have had a few glasses of asid product and i expect as some guy "I can come out of nowhere and suddenly become the best"'

if only i had 300 million dollars i could speed up rum development ...

promise to send you .jpegs of tropical beaches if you back dream of becoming a rum baron

If you are in need for people in a senior position I once managed to ferment some kool-aid that I left outside for too long.

Oh, and that demo is really impressive but the first step for their engine to automatically process the billion-triangle super fidelitious asset into what is finally shown is the asset itself, all 2 GB of fidelity included. I dunno how big the PS SSD is but I doubt most developers will just be able to drop the asset, let the engine optimize it on the fly, and call it a day.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

!Mirificus Remind me in 27 years.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I love the Star Citizen polygon count claim because it showed very well how unaware certain people were to how game components and art needed to be created.

CR is not the first person who said "well let's just use the high detail models in the game!" instead of use them as a reference for baking a normal map onto a lower polygon count object.

This was not revolutionary. It was ignorance. :)

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 13, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

A new rival of PixelLemonade for the prestigious Best drat Games Journalism Ever title emerges:

:reddit: Star Citizen sets new records in 2020 already

Been writing for a while for a local gaming website. decided it's time for my 1st international article, guess on what game.

https://www.gamerspack.com/2020/05/13/star-citizen-funding-records-2020/

:itwaspoo:

Oh yes! Gamerspunk here for the hard truth! Give it to us hard, long, and fast!

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hav posted:

:(

PWEI and Carter kept me going through dark times.

My memory might be deceiving me here, but I doubt even my strange mind could have invented this - the last time I saw Jon he was sat in Jim's horrible kitchen in his dressing gown with the word "oval office" written on his big fat forehead in lipstick. He was eating ice cream and there was a deal going down.

Foreshadowing Star Citizen-era Chris Roberts by some 30 odd years (maybe minus the ice cream), to bring it back on topic.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TheAgent posted:

what gameplay

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

what gameplay

Turns out prison gameplay is too much for computers today to handle. So cig is walking that back and replacing it with an animation of a guy eating a taco.

We strongly feel this level of gameplay we'll bring a whole new level of excitement to your daily gameplay experience.

Game on, Space Caesar!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

drat, this will be ps5 graphics?
cloud emporium will have to seriously step up their game to be on par.

it is mind blowing what is possible today in real time.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bumble He posted:

drat, this will be ps5 graphics?
cloud emporium will have to seriously step up their game to be on par.

it is mind blowing what is possible today in real time.
it'll be what the games hitting around 2022 will be like

a lot of the stuff coming this year and next will be trying to hit the old console gen targets as well, but you will see loving bonkers first party games being released in a few years

like some of the stuff I'm seeing for mid/late 2021 is loving crazy

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Think of all the _triangles_ Crobbers could cram into this!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

*Carl Sagan voice*

Billions and billions and billions of triangles....

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DarkDobe posted:

Think of all the _triangles_ Crobbers could cram into this!

Each pixel is composed of hundreds of thousands of triangles and, since we're not filthy cheaters, we render every last one of them.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

This is groundbreaking

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is groundbreaking

It really is - and possibly moreso for the film industry than for the video game industry, funnily enough. Which I find delightful, considering CR's burning desire to get back into Hollywood.

Right now UE and Unity are what drive a lot of virtual production sets (the most well known example of which is the volume that they use to shoot most of The Mandalorian) but doing a show like that requires a large amount of prep and development prior to production starting to build out your asset base. Doing things like cyberscanning of talent and props or lidar and texture acquisition of sets all require your vendors to strip down the geo into something light enough for your various vendors to use, and especially in the case of pre- or post-vis that usually means really stripping it down. Artists using Zbrush have to do the same thing to their models before pulling them into Cinema 4D or whatever their poison of choice is. Nanite ostensibly should make a ton of that easier.

And that's not even getting in to how much more flexible digital lighting design is going to be now with global illumination....man I really hope this delivers as promised because holy hell it's sexy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Tophat posted:

This is groundbreaking

Remember when the stick figure animations in Pitfall! were groundbreaking? If so you an old.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
All Chris Roberts has say is that they are going to upgrade Lumberyard to match UE5, and the gullible backers will have their wallets open for the next 10 years.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
The whole dated or not dated and polygon count arguments are bogus anyway because that's comparing released games with all the features in and all the necessary cuts to a never to be released game where all the NPCs stand on chairs or are stuck in a Portal loop.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There are 10000 polygons in every procedurally generated fired egg

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

A poo poo movie made by an idiot, an idiot with an arse for a brain and a squirrel for a hairpiece.

Idiot.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

A poo poo movie made by an idiot, an idiot with an arse for a brain and a squirrel for a hairpiece.
Sounds like we're back to talking about the Wing Commander movie.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Chev posted:

I try not to think about that.

Tho i probably should have. Star Citizen is somehow turning out worse than that shitshow.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Chev posted:

I really want to watch it...

I grew up on MST3K, so I think I could handle it.

But I can't find it streaming anywhere and I'll be gosh darned if I pay pledge any money for it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kilus aof posted:

The whole dated or not dated and polygon count arguments are bogus anyway because that's comparing released games with all the features in and all the necessary cuts to a never to be released game where all the NPCs stand on chairs or are stuck in a Portal loop.

:wrong: Dated or not dated arguments are really important because nowadays you get stuff like this:

And you just don't know if it came from a game, straight from a movie, or is a real picture of a Nosgoth Vampire.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 14, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

Remember when the stick figure animations in Pitfall! were groundbreaking? If so you an old.

I remember taking a Poloroid screenshot of my high score to mail to Activision for a patch they gave out for the achievement :negative:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Everyone's a critic. V2 incoming.

That's version two, not an ICBM.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This is beautiful. I knew in my heart of hearts someone was working this out.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

But I am not a Libertarian, a Trekkie, and dislike Elon...

,,, oh, wait. It says and/or Hentai

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.

Like why do you need any model with a billion triangles... other than to scan something with lidar and be to lazy to clean it up.

Hats off to them if it works that is pretty incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And the area outside the circles is people who like sexy bears? :iiasb: