Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

smooth jazz posted:

My good friend ran over and killed his infant son about 10 years ago. The family was in a rush to go somewhere and in the chaos didn't notice Charlie has crawled onto the driveway.

I think his case was one of too many that lead to backup camera legislation.

So yeah, I like backup cameras.

the vast majority of accidents are small and relatively harmless events in parking lots or in bumper to bumper traffic due to inattention, and it's something that everyone is susceptible to

i've never backed over a kid before, but i love backup cameras and if you don't understand their point or their value then ummmm

oh hi new page, have a cool minivan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Mazda's little tablet thing is fine. Its not huge. It doesnt look like it shouldnt be there either.
Ive "touched" mine a total of 0 times as everything can be easily controlled from the little rotary knob by the center arm rest.
If anything, be thankful its just that screen and EVERYTHING else is still in a Mazda/Mx-5 still has physical buttons.

Thinking manufactures are going to be putting in a Blaupunkt style single DIN in 2020 is just comical.
You either get something like Mazda has done, which thank god. Or you get loving Telsa poo poo where everything you want to or should be controlled with buttons is hidden in sub menus on a touchscreen.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I like my ND more than the NAs I've had, therefore modern cars are good (except for the ones that aren't)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Personally I hate having a small screen perched atop a streamlined minimal dashboard which rests at a comfortable angle to glance at, give me a bloated dashboard with an ugly integrated screen that eats up a ton of space and that I have to look away from the road to see any day.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

Mazda's little tablet thing is fine. Its not huge. It doesnt look like it shouldnt be there either.
Ive "touched" mine a total of 0 times as everything can be easily controlled from the little rotary knob by the center arm rest.
If anything, be thankful its just that screen and EVERYTHING else is still in a Mazda/Mx-5 still has physical buttons.

Thinking manufactures are going to be putting in a Blaupunkt style single DIN in 2020 is just comical.
You either get something like Mazda has done, which thank god. Or you get loving Telsa poo poo where everything you want to or should be controlled with buttons is hidden in sub menus on a touchscreen.

The new Mazdas' screen isn't even a touch screen anymore, you just use the knob.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Personally I hate having a small screen perched atop a streamlined minimal dashboard which rests at a comfortable angle to glance at, give me a bloated dashboard with an ugly integrated screen that eats up a ton of space and that I have to look away from the road to see any day.

I rarely if ever look at the screen in my car and pretty much only use the steering wheel controls or voice commands

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wonderful for being night blinded unless there is an easy turn off somewhere. That just another thing that pisses me off with the multitude of screens new cars are being blighted with - turning the loving things off so my night vision isn't utterly hosed in the country areas. My Levorg's got an insanely stupid series of pokes and prods to shut down both screens so that turning down the dash lights actually can be effective.

My night vision isnt bad (It's always been pretty good) but it's not what it used to be. I very much notice the difference being in the old shitbox Forester which has gently caress all dash glare

I drove my sister's CX-5 at night and it was a non-issue.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

The new Mazdas' screen isn't even a touch screen anymore, you just use the knob.

Wonder when they changed that? In 2020? Maybe its certain models which got the updated interior (Mazda3, CX-30)
Im pretty sure the CX-5 can still be touched when its not driving.But its still on the old style infotainment setup. Maybe that changed though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

Wonder when they changed that? In 2020? Maybe its certain models which got the updated interior (Mazda3, CX-30)
Im pretty sure the CX-5 can still be touched when its not driving.But its still on the old style infotainment setup. Maybe that changed though.

I believe it is new this year on the new models, I think the CX-5 still has the last generation. I imagine it'll get upgraded soon though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

These are the things keeping you alive when you wrap it around a tree.

Because it is.

If you want the feeling of driving something that will kill you when you wreck it, do open wheel racing on a track. Don't pine for the days when driving on public streets gave you a hardon from tempting death.

You ignored the last half of my comment. Plodding down the road in a very slow diesel truck is just as exciting. If you want to act like I want driving to be dangerous then do something useful like suggest I move to Georgia rather than try to roll your eyes.

I understand that the Mustang is technically safer than the MR2 but plowing into a crowd of people in either one is just as dangerous for everyone else. I kinda wonder what the total proportions are for automotive deaths between a deathtrap like the SW20 vs the entire sixth generation of Mustangs.

Time does funny things so perhaps in another 15~ years I'll be all "wow the 2020 S Class was so gorgeous actually" much like 15 years ago I thought third gen Camaros were garbage tier but now think they're rad as hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No it really wasnt stupid at all. There really is a clear lack of engineering covered up by tech band aids. Ranted about that before and given examples (Mercedes, ,alfa Subaru hooooly poo poo am I looked at you)... Ill rant about it again in the future.

I am curious about your perspective on this - please rant away!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I kinda wonder what the total proportions are for automotive deaths between a deathtrap like the SW20 vs the entire sixth generation of Mustangs.

Time does funny things so perhaps in another 15~ years I'll be all "wow the 2020 S Class was so gorgeous actually" much like 15 years ago I thought third gen Camaros were garbage tier but now think they're rad as hell.

Your sample size gets really small for the first one and it would be tough to normalized deaths/thousand miles but I would be willing to bet that the Stangs come out safer. VMT for SW20s is tiny, I would be willing to bet that there are less than a thousand daily driven SW20s in the US and Canada as only 33,000 were ever sold here. Ford sold 455k 6th gen Mustangs between 2015-2019. That's 13x more units in operation (assuming all SW20s have survived) and I would guess it's something like 130x the VMT.

The latter is almost certainly the case.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Eyud posted:

I like my ND more than the NAs I've had, therefore modern cars are good (except for the ones that aren't)

I had an NA with an aftermarket single din head unit that blinded me at night and couldn't change brightness so I had to cover it up with a cloth at all times. It had an aux input so I had to plug in my phone every time I got in and look at it when I wanted to change songs or answer a call.

I now have an ND with a screen that auto-dims when I switch on the headlights. All my music is on a USB stick that auto-plays when I start the car. My phone connects wirelessly and I can answer it without taking my hands off the wheel.

Modern cars are dope.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Those are problems fixed by buying a new head unit vs a new car though (as lovely as an ND is! :v:)

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Hikaki posted:

I had an NA with an aftermarket single din head unit that blinded me at night and couldn't change brightness so I had to cover it up with a cloth at all times. It had an aux input so I had to plug in my phone every time I got in and look at it when I wanted to change songs or answer a call.

I now have an ND with a screen that auto-dims when I switch on the headlights. All my music is on a USB stick that auto-plays when I start the car. My phone connects wirelessly and I can answer it without taking my hands off the wheel.

Modern cars are dope.

Sorry your head unit sucked, I have a 30 year old car with a radio with all of those functions :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hikaki posted:

Modern cars are dope.

Gee too bad the aftermarket head unit wasn't replaceable.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Obviously it didn't bother me enough to pony up the 50 bucks. On the other hand, the ND's infotainment is good enough that aftermarket is not even a consideration.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Guinness posted:

I believe it is new this year on the new models, I think the CX-5 still has the last generation. I imagine it'll get upgraded soon though.

Yep CX-5 is old now and due an update to the new widescreen system.

The only reason I've ever touched the screen in my 3 is to enter addressees into the standard nav system and I haven't touched that since Android Auto and CarPlay became a thing (interestingly the touch screen doesn't work in Android auto at all, it does in CarPlay but only when the car is stopped)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The actual most annoying thing when looking at new Miatas seems to be that it's surprisingly hard to find the regular roadsters since the RF version came out. The RF has a neat look but I decided the normal one is still the best choice and it turns out that most dealers only have about 1 non-RF for every half dozen RFs they have, if they have any non-RF at all.

I would love if new cars came in colors too. A NOT RED color. I bring that up because you have to get an RF if you want the slightest hint of a color, but it's every manufacturer that offers 5 terrible monochrome colors now. Or maybe you can pay an extra grand for some garish racing color. Let me drive a dark green car you cowards.

Ror fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hakone green 86 looks so good

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hakone green 86 looks so good

yeah, too bad it's not a standard color on the 86 and brz

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am curious about your perspective on this - please rant away!

Well a few examples -

And please note I doubt Soccer mums are going to notice. We're talking about 9/10ths speed on tracks which really, most people wont do on the road - however I have seen it happen where drivers have been having a go on the road so.......

With Mercedes I've noted a few times that they get spectacularly upset when they hit a mid corner bump that wouldn't phase a car/crossover twenty years older. That affliction just gets worse as you into the crossover / SUV ranges to the point a small ripple strip can start to provoke a rollover situtation - I might add the twenty year old vehicle is a Forester so it's bit top heavy itself - but self assured and unphased hitting the same bump even with tyres stickier than stock (235/45 17 R's so it's honestly waaaay overtyred which is not a good idea on a crossover). I got a few working theories on why the Mercs are such a handful over mid corner bumps but in the end it's I think a fundamental lack of engineering with electronics trying to cover up whats lacking getting exposed.

That Alfa Stevio I think it's called? Jounos called it a great handling SUV - I'm calling bullshit. It's a loving grip pig with absolutly foul handling dynamics once the grip runs out. The tech reins it in but there is absolutly no getting past this thing is all plow understeer with a violent transition to oversteer. Being a SUV isnt really an excuse as a Cayenne honestly has sooooo much nicer manners. It's like Alfa didnt do a goddamn thing other than go "eh we'll let the electronics handle it".

Oh and on Subaru which I know the best - how about spending a good minute just trying to get my car to leave the nature strip I had parked on, with the electronics absoluty having a poo poo fit as one wheel then another left the ground trying to get over the low curved road gutter. There's simply no real suspension travel and no mechanical diffs that turned what in a 20 year old car is a no problem whatever into a bit of dumbassery struggle to leave. There's days esp when I have a light trailer on that Levorg struggles to get up a 3% gravel driveway. It has rebound tuning issues that make it a right nightmare over mid corner bumps. Absolutly NONE of these problems exist on the older cars. Whoever let that suspension tuning be signed off on needs a godamn smack over the head and it's even more embarrassing when that's the "sports" suspension......! Turn the stability control off and every single flaw is ruthlessly bought to light in a ill behaved mess that should have been fixed all too easily. Oh it's not like that car is alone on that - new Imprezas and Foresters all suffer from the same shitfest. A 2019 WRX doesnt suffer as badly because it's got a mechanical LSD in the rear and different suspension tuning. The gently caress is Subaru thinking vomiting out such crap? Ever since they began to put in mandated electronic nannies their suspension behavior has gotten worse. And as I said it's not like Subaru dont know how to make suspensions and tune them well - they clearly aren't giving a gently caress because "well the electronics are there so.....*shrug*"

It's not I'm adverse to electronics - Holden got it fairly right with the VE and VF Commodores, there's a drat fine chassis that you can have a shitload of fun or get into a world of trouble when your skill runs out under the electronics. Hell, the car is STILL fun with the traction control on. It's just they decided to actually make the car work when the grip runs out and nannies are off. You got the balls, you can have the rear end dancing at all sorts of stupid speeds and bring it back. Also it's clear someone understood that turn electronics off should be done simply and when they say off... they REALLY mean off. No bullshit, no secret modes, no convoluted process. One button and you are on your own - you and a chassis that doesnt get upset over mid corner, doesnt give one iota of a gently caress if you are stupid enough to be at the top of third and howling the back tyres around a sweeper, doesn't care if you want to left foot brake to make the car weight shift - it just does it because someone decided to spend the time and money to not rely on massive tyres and electronics.

Yeesh enough ranting, should be doing work.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
It's a shame that green is rare on cars. It's not even a loud obnoxious color like yellow.

I had a Mini in BRG and it was beautiful. That hakone 86 is tempting me solely because of its green on tan/black color scheme.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Savagegeese was talking about that with the TRD Camry. He said if they went with a mechanical LSD instead of just trying to throw the electronics at it that it would be a much better car.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The US WRX hasn't had a rear LSD in over a decade. 2007 was the last model year that had them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's very easy to turn off screens in most modern cars (the Golf is like one button) and most have a low light invert mode that is not very bright as well.

The other reason that tablets live above the dash besides vision/human factors stuff is that you'll notice the center vents for the HVAC below that. If you move the tablet down in to the center stack, you have to move the vents, or the screen gets really low like in the Mk 7 Golf. if you get behind the dash there's a shitload of stuff going on, and the HVAC vents and plumbing take up a huge amount of space.

Here is science that shows you do actually want your infotainment screen up high and poking out of your dash: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/look-where-youre-going-is-the-key-to-distracted-driving/

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I thought we were talking about new cars tho?

The NC is that last miata I would buy anyway, I'd get another NA or an NB before I ever went that route

[e] Also screens in Jeep Wranglers just seem wrong as well, I wonder how many will get completely ruined when people get caught in the rain with the top and doors off

Anyone who chooses an NC over an ND deserves the NC, with an automatic gearbox.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

As an 86 Hakone Edition owner, yeah, it rules.

p.s. gently caress savage "get back in the kitchen" geese

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

drgitlin posted:

Here is science that shows you do actually want your infotainment screen up high and poking out of your dash: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/look-where-youre-going-is-the-key-to-distracted-driving/

lol who'd you piss off, tesla fanboys?

Minto Took posted:

As an 86 Hakone Edition owner, yeah, it rules.

p.s. gently caress savage "get back in the kitchen" geese

oh that's not good, i've always liked his reviews but have also always had the feeling that he's a libertarian techbro dipshit with some really hosed up opinions just waiting to burst out

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Wheeee posted:

oh that's not good, i've always liked his reviews but have also always had the feeling that he's a libertarian techbro dipshit with some really hosed up opinions just waiting to burst out

Watch his video on the Vortech supercharger he put in his BRZ.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The US WRX hasn't had a rear LSD in over a decade. 2007 was the last model year that had them.

WTF, seriously?!?!? We get a Torsen LSD for manual WRX's.

https://www.subaru.com.au/wrx-and-wrx-sti/specs

(Chassis and Mechanism for the proof)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Wheeee posted:

I think this is a lot of car dudes unfortunately.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's a loving grip pig with absolutly foul handling dynamics once the grip runs out

Isn't this basically all new cars tho?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Minto Took posted:

Watch his video on the Vortech supercharger he put in his BRZ.

Which one? There seems to be a dozen of them.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Isn't this basically all new cars tho?

Mostly... sadly.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Which one? There seems to be a dozen of them.

It was this one. He reshot the introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5LVsiTfvo

During the first edit of the burger skit, he told his partner to "get back in the kitchen."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I really like SavageGeese's production quality. I don't like most of his reviews. My solution is to watch with the audio off.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
100+ new posts got me excited that there was a cool new car released

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Ror posted:

The actual most annoying thing when looking at new Miatas seems to be that it's surprisingly hard to find the regular roadsters since the RF version came out. The RF has a neat look but I decided the normal one is still the best choice and it turns out that most dealers only have about 1 non-RF for every half dozen RFs they have, if they have any non-RF at all.

I would love if new cars came in colors too. A NOT RED color. I bring that up because you have to get an RF if you want the slightest hint of a color, but it's every manufacturer that offers 5 terrible monochrome colors now. Or maybe you can pay an extra grand for some garish racing color. Let me drive a dark green car you cowards.
Just wrap ittm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nohearum posted:

100+ new posts got me excited that there was a cool new car released

The cool car was the friendsposts we made along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ror posted:

Mazda soul red is the best color.