Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

shovelbum posted:

why does it only happen in the US

like there are trends at work here that marxist thought must not explain or else china which is more capitalist, more corrupt, more coverup-prone, and more racist which are like the stock answers, would be way worse instead of like, getting blindsided by it and rallying very quickly

America's fortunes, status, and power may rise and fall. Class wars may be won or lost. Americans being dumb loving hicks who can't step out from in front of the locomotive before it hits them is the only constant across history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

gotta hand it to him, he really is the quintessential libertarian

Patient Zero Cool
Apr 24, 2020

Sous Videodrome posted:

zeroCool, deathToll

There have been 82,246 total deaths, including 1,426 newly reported.
There are 1,364,061 COVID 19 cases, including 21,467 newly reported.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

twoday posted:

- they were comparing a group who was on average 35 to a group who were on average 40

Unless there's some reason to believe that the difference in test results is actually attributable to that, it's not really relevant.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

You aren't going to be able to extrapolate anything from comparing censuses 20 years apart , c'mon man.

Excess deaths will work but will take a while to know. Illinois is just being weirdly competent because I guess having a billionaire gov means he actually can just say gently caress you business owners I'm not doing what you want since I don't need campaign contributions

theyll be the best available data if we have a 2030 census imo, IL isnt quite like the chud west or south

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

America's fortunes, status, and power may rise and fall. Class wars may be won or lost. Americans being dumb loving hicks who can't step out from in front of the locomotive before it hits them is the only constant across history.

yeah ikr

but why, what the gently caress, every single thing we try to attribute it to exists biglier elsewhere

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

This is all literally what happened with influenza lmao the human race learns absolutely nothing from its past

History is for nerds op

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

shovelbum posted:

It hasn't, other European countries have had reopen protests and handled this terribly.

shovelbum posted:

like there are trends at work here that marxist thought must not explain or else china which is more capitalist, more corrupt, more coverup-prone, and more racist which are like the stock answers, would be way worse instead of like, getting blindsided by it and rallying very quickly

Simplest explanation is that none of this is true about China.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

okay then florida

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

actionjackson posted:

Unless there's some reason to believe that the difference in test results is actually attributable to that, it's not really relevant.

my point was that BCG seems to limit the number of people who enter the second phase of the illness and die as a result. In a relatively small sample size from such a limited and relatively young age group, there are very few people who get to that state anyway, so the results don't tell you very much. One person was on a ventilator in each group and neither died, that's not a lot of data to draw conclusions from

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I think the hypothesis is that BCG reduces the severity of the disease and chance of death in all age groups, not that it prevents infection. So we'd need to compare a large group of BCG vaccinated folks to unvaccinated folks and look at outcomes, not infection rates.

e: beaten by the plague mod

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

china which is more capitalist, more corrupt, more coverup-prone, and more racist

You seem like a nice person and maybe not beyond salvaging so here goes: American state media constantly makes poo poo up about other countries for their audiences to fit a particular narrative. Like after a thousand pages of this thread you would think that was obvious but Americans are also really racist so what can you do. Once you realize the things you list don't make any sense because they're not true, the world will start to make a little more sense.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Durf posted:

gotta hand it to him, he really is the quintessential libertarian
FYGM coronavirus alerady.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

okay then florida

Coronavirus spread will decrease in May, since Coronavirus doesn't want go driving all around the state and have to wash lovebug guts off the car each day.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

covid stopping to look at the manatees

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

an rear end load of people leave the state in the summer. the snow birds go back home.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

OHHHH YEAH, BUSTIN' DOWN THE COVID WALL.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ringo Roadagain posted:

okay then florida
They're probably just correcting for people dying WITH corona.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

snoo posted:

gently caress retail and gently caress customers

Please do not gently caress the customers, you have no idea where they've been!

Warmachine posted:

Well, I got some good posting in before Michigan became the plaguelands.

This just made me realize we're going to nuke our own country to eradicate the spread of the virus and this is how Planet of the Apes happens.

The funny part is, if he's actually a full-on cap and gown KKK member, he can assert that as a defense, but outs himself as a KKK member. If he's not, then he got that item purely for the racism value, and may deny KKK affiliation, but is still on the hook for deliberate racism.

Bing bong so simple, take another left turn :allears:

"If people don't like the lockdown, they don't have to live in the city." :colbert:

And if there's no danger and "open 'er' up" then what's the impetus with impugning on the municipal sovereignty for a city-wide issue?

Ken Paxton can go cross-contaminate his own grilled meats and contract e.coli then poo poo himself dry.

KaptainKrunk posted:

there won't be another lockdown they are just going to normalize mass death

:sigh: :agreed:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

you say “hacker” I say American Hero.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1260691610485964800

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Pump Jockey posted:

I just got a jury summons, guess I’ll die

shovelbum posted:

really curious what “marxist thought” you are referring to here

the big difference between China and the US is that China has a functional federal government. it’s not really more complicated than that

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

:thunk:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

what if 2% of wheat thins killed you ?

how many would you eat ?

this is a conservative argument against immigration right? it makes no sense in that case.

of course in the case of a virus, where it makes sense, conservatives ignore it

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

masterchef pounding table chanting DEATH DEATH DEATH.gif

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:stoked:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the boston bomber posted:

really curious what “marxist thought” you are referring to here

the big difference between China and the US is that China has a functional federal government. it’s not really more complicated than that

that capitalism inevitably is just trumpism i guess, like we all shrug bc capitalism cant do anything besides genocide and number go up, like it cant actually build poo poo or w/e but in other countries outside the chuddosphere it obviously can

mystes
May 31, 2006

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

okay then florida

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1260639316331638785

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Every American is so god drat stupid

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GOVERNOR CAN ONLY DECLARE A RULE NOT AN ORDER DO IT RIIIIIIIGHT!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1260693856120528897

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lol minutes ago I was slightly rattled by my governor deciding to open it up and then the universe gave me this to feel better about myself and you know what? I'll take it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

that's pointing to a ballpark 0.5-0.6% IFR which is about what we'd expect?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is anyone aware of a resource that is accumulating/reporting on recorded spikes in excess death, which will be the primary indicator of the true death toll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

lmao