Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

But literally just moments later an entire canyon was streamed in and flown past

Yeah I'm not going to pretend to understand anything about asset loading, I just thought that "squeeze through a tight space" moment was really conspicuous and kind of funny given how impressive everything else in the tech demo was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

I guess it's preferable to Red Dead 2's "Ten straight minutes of load screen up front in exchange for no load times during the game"

Where does it stand in relation to "original xbox borrowing having to stealth-install the game to the HD every time you play it because the original xbox didn't officially support installing the game to the HD, so every initial load is like 7 minutes"?

Edit: what they should do is every time you need to load a new area, have the party start bickering for a few minutes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

First off I want to apologize for breaking the tables with that gif, I really tried to shrink it but it didn't work.

BaDandy posted:

I really like the implication that Sephiroth is treating it as a normal date. Just staring out the window at the fireworks and going :allears:

Really wanted Sephiroth to show up in Wall Market demanding Cloud give him The Sauce. It's too powerful for you Cloud. You're not ready.

Anyway, I hope Barret gets a full robot arm like Megaman in the next game so he can do rocket punches and flip cars out of the way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, I hope Barret gets a full robot arm like Megaman in the next game so he can do rocket punches and flip cars out of the way.

Having Triangle Attack NOT shoot out the wrecking ball or claw is a war crime, IMHO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something that doesn't come across in the original English translation of FFVII is that Barret didn't actually need to have his arm amputated. He lost some of the use of his right hand, but it was still intact. He chose to have it amputated and replaced with a gun. The original English translation says that he threw away his prosthetic arm to have a gun grafted on, but in the original Japanese, it doesn't say "prosthetic."

It's metal as gently caress, is what I'm saying, and really drives home how revenge-driven Barret is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How does he pull the trigger though?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Clarste posted:

Voice-activated trigger that fires when you yell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Clarste posted:

however he drat well pleases

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/aqua_seahorse/status/1260407933512216577

Well this is trash. gently caress that guy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

gently caress.

Edit: okay yeah he's a jesus freak according to his twitter, do you have any proof about the conversion therapy thing?

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 13, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never played Crisis Core so I didn't really have an opinion on Zack's voice before, but I guess I do now

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Voice-activated trigger that fires when you yell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9d_sLRXOH4

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

gently caress.

Edit: okay yeah he's a jesus freak according to his twitter, do you have any proof about the conversion therapy thing?

It's this, apparently:

https://twitter.com/MsSaiFox/status/1260222892991606785?s=20

He's done a lot of work for a church called Hillsong that is super anti-LGBT. I have no idea how recent any of it is, if he still believes in what they do, or anything like that, but that's the connection it seems.

I haven't actually googled around about it so I don't know any details.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh that's the same church Chris Pratt supports, apparently it's like a big thing in Hollywood conservative religious circles? That poo poo loving sucks

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He had two lines in this entire game, not exactly difficult to pretend he doesn't exist come the sequel

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Have a different VA for Zack in every scene he’s in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veib posted:

Oh that's the same church Chris Pratt supports, apparently it's like a big thing in Hollywood conservative religious circles? That poo poo loving sucks

Ha, I was just about to compare him to Chris Pratt. I had no idea it was the same church.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Clarste posted:

I always thought he pulled the trigger with his other hand, you notice how he grasps his arms together every time he fires

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Harrow posted:

So, there are a couple different versions of Zack's death scene in different FF7 games. In the original, he does, indeed, die after the big showdown that you see in FF7R. In Crisis Core, though, he dies in that fight, and because the cutscene they show you is word-for-word from Crisis Core (and nearly shot-for-shot, except for the Whispers), people assume that his survival there means that he survived, since we're seeing the Crisis Core version of events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmduvQ3Ze8

Stamp being a different kind of dog there is likely significant because there's a lot of attention drawn to it (both in the scene and afterwards by the developers in interviews). Maybe it's not signifying an alternate timeline specifically, but it's definitely important, and "Shinra has multiple Stamp designs" isn't important enough to foreground and tease about like that.
Not least of all because Stamp is Cloud. Like maybe now Stamp is Zach.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

D'you think he was familiar with what he was sighing up for because FF7 has Wall market and well.....I guess it's just strange because this isn't what you'd call a super conservative "think of the children" sort of game.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 13, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Flopsy posted:

D'you think he was familiar with what he was sighing up for because FF7 has Wall market and well.....I guess it's just strange because this isn't what you'd call a super conservative "think f the children" sort of game.

It's been well established that a lot of self-proclaimed Christians and conservatives care about $$$ before everything else

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's been well established that a lot of self-proclaimed Christians and conservatives care about $$$ before everything else

Hope he's promoted to one of Cloud's love interests then. I don't even care for that pairing and I hope they do it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well he has like two lines and voice actors quite often have no idea whatsoever what they're working on or the name of the character they're portraying so even if he was concerned he'd have had no idea he was working on an FF game, more than likely he'll just get quietly replaced since it's not like anyone is going to go "you can't recast Zach! I loved his work in the last one".

You get that with voice acting a lot though, the lady who voiced Jessie in the remake also voiced a snake lady in the newest Xcom game and had no idea she was a snake lady until the game came out, funnily enough she said that was actually a good thing because knowing the role was a snake lady might have made her play it as your more cliched snake person with the extended sssss's and such which was kind of interesting to me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

D'you think he was familiar with what he was sighing up for because FF7 has Wall market and well.....I guess it's just strange because this isn't what you'd call a super conservative "think of the children" sort of game.

He only has a couple of lines at the end of the game, so he probably just got the script for that specific part.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also this.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

DeathChicken posted:

He had two lines in this entire game, not exactly difficult to pretend he doesn't exist come the sequel

lol I was just thinking that out of all the characters in this game, Zack sounded the worst, even with only two lines.

I'm not sure if being affiliated with Hillsong will negatively impact your job prospects as a VA, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

He's played a gay character on TV before so either he's like "my church is anti-gay but I'm not and no I don't see why it's a problem that I keep going there" or, y'know, it's just as simple as "I gotta get paid, I'll pray it away later"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

He's played a gay character on TV before so either he's like "my church is anti-gay but I'm not and no I don't see why it's a problem that I keep going there" or, y'know, it's just as simple as "I gotta get paid, I'll pray it away later"

Ugh. :smugjones:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Zack's new voice sucks anyway, so it's no loss if they ditch this boy from God-gaga.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Boy oh boy. The price of (religious)freedom is steep.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DeathChicken posted:

Square Enix is gonna disappear him, you can't spell "gamer" without "gay"

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

precision posted:

Him?
Gonegaga.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pull a Byleth and replace him with Zach Aguilar in a patch

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

precision posted:

If they patched out the first guy who played Male Byleth, they can do it here.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That was a bigger move from Nintendo than I expected, honestly. I figured they'd just not work with him again because of the NDA breaking thing, but taking the extra steps to cast someone new, re-record his lines, and patch them in is pretty big and was welcome given what a creep Chris Niosi is. It's not a ton of lines since Byleth's a silent protagonist anyway, but it's still something, and hey, Zack doesn't have a ton of lines either so :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Beefstew posted:

Him?
Gonegaga.

This reference works on multiple levels, as the line Zack has when Cloud asks him where he's from when they are introduced for the first time is "Me? Gongaga."

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

Who cares? As long as he does a good job.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Do this with Zack in the next part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR6jGJ1lq2U

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

That was a bigger move from Nintendo than I expected, honestly. I figured they'd just not work with him again because of the NDA breaking thing, but taking the extra steps to cast someone new, re-record his lines, and patch them in is pretty big and was welcome given what a creep Chris Niosi is. It's not a ton of lines since Byleth's a silent protagonist anyway, but it's still something, and hey, Zack doesn't have a ton of lines either so :v:

Didn't Square kick the voice actor for Zidane in Dissida when it turned out he was some sort of molesty rapist?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harrow posted:

The best part is that Niosi was only bragging about it because he was totally gonna be in Smash and then he doesn't get to be in Smash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I got a gameplay question I can't find the answer to.

In post game, it says things are not saved if you leave a chapter before finishing it. Is this true for Battle Simulator stuff and enemy assessments? I'd like to beat the fights available, and then leave Ch17 - but do I have to complete it to save my progress?