Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jeez, Louise! It sure did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

The main problem with RTS navies and air forces is that they rarely have a varied selection of units, like, the number of units and mechanics on the ground in RA2 is twice or more that of the units in the air or at sea. This tends to make the sea gameplay of many games feel like just a simplified/cut down version of the land gameplay, rather than a legitimate option of its own.

An article I dug up a year or two back went into detail on RTS navies (specifically: what happened to them?) and beyond the above some of the other things they mentioned that I thought were interesting included:
-If the game presents flying units as basically ground units + noclip; the restricted terrain and mapbuilding demands naval units operate under become even more relatively annoying.
-A navy adds another thing to make a decision based around 'how much of this do I need right now' vs 'will building this just get my rear end kicked' early in the game.

One of the conclusions it comes to is that bigger-scale gameplay works better for RTS navies. If your game has a zillion unit types, a diverse navy is more likely. If your game expects you will field a sprawling army and huge base, it's not asking much to devote some amount of that to water gameplay. If your game has huge maps, water is easier to include in the terrain - and ships can have disproportionately giant ranges to help them bombard from a distance.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Didn't the Stalin brick cutscene at the end of ra1 have two American gi's with m16's?

Still love that ending cutscene to this day, just that little personal YES moment after Stavros entombs Stalin is amazing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 08: Operation: Free Gateway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpilX1R-8N4
Operation: Free Gateway

With the defense of Hawaii completed, the US has been able to refocus its troops, retaking Washington and Oregon from the Reds. The Soviets have been busy, however, constructing yet another Psychic Beacon in an attempt to convert the general population to their cause. Even the strongest of wills is no match for such dreadful technology, and nothing can be spared in preventing the Soviets from achieving their goal in Missouri. Tanya and an elite team will be paradropped into the area. Destroy the Beacon at all costs!

St. Louis, Missouri.

Objective: Destroy the Psychic Beacon!

Briefing: Even as we cleanse America of Soviet forces, they continue to play with their psychic technology, desperately hoping that their little toys will destroy us. We have discovered a Psychic Beacon in St. Louis. Take special agent Tanya in and destroy the beacon.

Author's note: An interesting map with easy cheese potential. I missed some resource crates you get by repairing the Arch, and I never reveal the entire area of the abandoned base to the bottom-left of the map.

Name: Unknown
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Ann-Marie Lazaroff

Aide to the President of the United States of America. Stenographer.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya. Was temporarily subverted by the Soviet Union due to mind control weapons. Impressed by the Commander's ability to befriend Tanya.

Name: Lt. Eva
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Name: President Dugan
Voiced/Played by: Ray Wise

President of the United States of America. Helped install Premier Romanov in Soviet Russia. Defected to the Reds. Rehabilitated after the destruction of the Psychic Beacon in Washington D.C. Is willing to authorize lethal force in urban areas... provided you don't harm any of his constituents.

Name: Tanya
Aliases: Widowmaker
Affiliation: Hired Gun
Voiced/Played by: Kari Wuhrer

Agent Tanya is a renowned mercenary who plays by her own rules. It has been suggested that the name "Tanya" may be a codename, similar to Agent 007. Responded to the crisis and helped recapture the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, after having dealt with the Soviet invasion in New York. Sent to Poland to destroy the forward Soviet nukes used to deter European involvement in the ongoing Third World War. Sometimes uses an AK-47, sans top cover, as her primary weapon.

Prism Tank
RANGE: Medium-Long
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: "Comet" Laser Weapon
COST: 1200

This powerful Allied tank uses a weapon similar to the Allied Prism Tower. The powerful and deadly beam of light launched from the Prism Tank’s cannon radiates from the target to hit other nearby enemies, allowing this vehicle to single-handedly destroy entire groups of enemy units. The range of dispersal depends on how close the Prism Tank is to its initial target.

Author's Note: Unlike the Prism Tower, the tank version does not "connect" or merge beams for a stronger attack. I don't recall using this too much, but I can't say why - the Prism Tank isn't a bad option.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "You saved Saint Louis before her citizens could come to any harm."

Slower than Par Time: "Saint Louis was saved, but thousands of American citizens were permanently turned to the Soviet cause."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

haha yessss time for PRISM TANKS, best unit on the allied side. man i loved getting these guys up to max veterancy and they'd just spit beam splinters everywhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The prism tank really only has two major drawbacks: it's expansive and has terrible armor.

They're perfectly designed to function more like short range artillery than a straight tank but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Prism tanks are really powerful to the point of being broken in my opinion. Sure they are slow and have the usual allied armor plating (none) but the damage and the range makes them just melt anything and everything before it gets close enough for that to matter. The only thing the soviets have that can match the range is V3 rockets which are too slow to hit something that is as quick and nimble as an elephant in a shopping trolley.

I really wonder how they expected 45 minutes to be a reasonable time for such a short mission. The Soviet base is really small, poorly defended, they have barely any resources and you start the mission by crippling it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Prisms are cool. I'd say they are the second coolest Allied tank, although I'll grant that they are probably the most powerful.

e: I like how in the intro cutscene, Tanya is shown reloading a very American AK. I guess they didn't really have the choice of plastic guns with their budget?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 12, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Prisms are cool. I'd say they are the second coolest Allied tank, although I'll grant that they are probably the most powerful.

e: I like how in the intro cutscene, Tanya is shown reloading a very American AK. I guess they didn't really have the choice of plastic guns with their budget?

Its also missing the top/dust cover for reasons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Poil posted:

Prism tanks are really powerful to the point of being broken in my opinion. Sure they are slow and have the usual allied armor plating (none) but the damage and the range makes them just melt anything and everything before it gets close enough for that to matter. The only thing the soviets have that can match the range is V3 rockets which are too slow to hit something that is as quick and nimble as an elephant in a shopping trolley.

I really wonder how they expected 45 minutes to be a reasonable time for such a short mission. The Soviet base is really small, poorly defended, they have barely any resources and you start the mission by crippling it.

Its a tougher mission if you don't cheese it like I did.

And I think the PAR times are meant for Hard Difficulty.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

When Prism Tanks reach elite veterancy their beam splits will also split, leading to hilarious situations where you fire on a conscript and half the enemy's base explodes :science:.

Also, the parking lot where the Devastators were executing civilians is the location of St. Louis' Old Courthouse of Dred Scott fame. You'd think of all the monuments in the US they'd leave up the one where we decided black people are property and have no rights, even in "free" states and territories.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

aww yeah, this is one of my favourite Allied units as well. When I first played the game and this unit got introduced my reaction was "oh yay, they finally made their own version of the Tesla Tank"

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

There's a little cutscene with Tanya if you let the time run out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its a tougher mission if you don't cheese it like I did.
I usually don't cheese it that way and I still think it's too easy. And I'm not even that good at the game. :v:

quote:

And I think the PAR times are meant for Hard Difficulty.
Not sure about the allies but the soviet par times are a joke even on hard difficulty.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Laughing Zealot posted:

There's a little cutscene with Tanya if you let the time run out.

Sadly its only a "mini" cutscene. I'll try to show them off, either at the end of each campaign or at the end of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Poil posted:

I usually don't cheese it that way and I still think it's too easy. And I'm not even that good at the game. :v:

Not sure about the allies but the soviet par times are a joke even on hard difficulty.

Yeah par times tend to give you well enough time to explore the whole map for secrets. I never really had a problem hitting them.

Maybe if I was a db kid that didnt think I needed more than 1 harvester?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Poil posted:

After the meatgrindy slog of the last two missions, this one is a much needed breather.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

After the meatgrindy slog of the last two missions, this one is a much needed breather.

If you don't cheese this one like in the video, the ai sends a poo poo ton of dudes at you and it's also a grinder. When I played it I used a stolen reactor and the hospital to build a beach head outside their mineral field before I could even advance.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh Prism Tanks, pretty much the only ground unit I ever built once I had access to em in the campaign. Love these units, they are true glass cannons. Can't take a hit, but even in small numbers they just flatten almost any ground unit, and just devastate bases in seconds. Easily my favorite Allied unit. And yeah, never had much issue with this mission, given that you can easily cripple the Soviet base and can even get some income going if you recapture that southern base before your main forces arrive. As for Par Times, honestly found that they were hardest early on, and got easier and easier to meet as the campaign moved forward. Heck, the Par Time for mission 1 was like only 6 minutes and now they are like 45 min to an hour on average.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

For some reason I kept hearing prism tanks as prison tanks.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a reason most mods heavily nerf Prism Tanks, usually by making them into a dedicated siege unit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordja posted:

There's a reason most mods heavily nerf Prism Tanks, usually by making them into a dedicated siege unit.

They do it because they are bums. Prisms tanks are cool and precious as they are.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'm always a proponent of buffing things up to the fun stuff's level, rather than destroying what's cool and good.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

THE BAR posted:

I'm always a proponent of buffing things up to the fun stuff's level, rather than destroying what's cool and good.
It seems like almost every single game designer in the industry doesn't get this, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

D. Ebdrup posted:

It seems like almost every single game designer in the industry doesn't get this, though.
Counterpoint: trading card games (and probably other genres, but I mostly know it from there) and power creep, where almost every expansion overshadows the last because things keep escalating in numbers

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's obviously impossible with physical media... Unless you sell new versions of the old stuff, of course! :capitalism:

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

THE BAR posted:

Eh, I think game balance matters. Otherwhise why not just give the player a big red button to push right at the start that annihilates all enemies on the map, then let them choose to not use that if they want to win the 'hard' way? After all, what could be more 'cool' and 'fun' than massive explosions? Just sayin', there's a reason why that's not typically done.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Strategic Sage posted:

After all, what could be more 'cool' and 'fun' than massive explosions?

This message was approved by the MISTER TORGUE game design committee.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Strategic Sage posted:

Eh, I think game balance matters. Otherwhise why not just give the player a big red button to push right at the start that annihilates all enemies on the map, then let them choose to not use that if they want to win the 'hard' way? After all, what could be more 'cool' and 'fun' than massive explosions? Just sayin', there's a reason why that's not typically done.

It's supposed to go both ways, and not at all what I'm talking about. If a unit like the Prism tank is winning against more stuff than it was designed as a foil to, you help whatever's supposed to stop the Prism from doing its thing. Sacrificing the overperforming unit is the easy way to fix this, but I prefer a rejiggering of the bigger picture (both my own stuff and the games I enjoy) rather than smashing whatever's on top.

Syndrome did nothing wrong.

E:

I didn't mean to come off like I'm bashing what you're saying. Yes, sometimes you do need to stop a game element that's clearly out of control or is being used in a way that's detrimental to the experience. But I will always take a step back first and see if the system can be changed, in case the unbalanced element is also fun to players, like Prism tanks.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Strategic Sage posted:

Otherwhise why not just give the player a big red button to push right at the start

Funny you'd say that

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

One of the big problems with prism tanks is the dearth of air units in this game. Massed prism tanks take out both tanks and infantry, and any boats dumb enough to get close. The only hard counter is air, and the soft counter is not allowing a mass of prism tanks in the first place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The other counter is the iron curtain since prism tanks will fold like wet tissue if their offensive power is neutralised

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also to be fair, Prism Tanks take a while to get to, are expensive, and do fold quickly when attacked, and need at least some decent numbers to reach death ball status, so forcing other units/defenses to be built instead of letting a straight run to said death ball uninterrupted is also a way to deal with them. But I do agree that their natural counter, air units, are lacking from what we have seen so far, and the Allies have shown to have a decent damage dealing and pretty quick anti-air in the form of the IFV.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The main benefit from Prisms is their ease of use; their long range means you can attack move and do reasonably well against the AI without much effort.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Have we seen any soviet air units so far? I think there's only one and we haven't seen it yet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Have we seen any soviet air units so far? I think there's only one and we haven't seen it yet.

Do launched missiles count as air units?

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Also Prism Tanks can cause some major friendly fire. If you get a unit in between them, their splash will blow each other up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Do Paratroopers count?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 09: Operation: Sun Temple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLsTUZ0eN4c
Operation: Sun Temple

Soviet forces everywhere are on the run from their former holdings in the US! The only sizeable force that remains is in California, likely aided by access to the Pacific Ocean, despite our naval presence. Not all is well, however, as the Reds have managed to capture some Prism technology and are currently attempting to develop their own version. We can't let this happen! Use a strike force to attack the science facility on the Yucatan peninsula and put an end to whatever projects they have there.

On the eastern side of the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico.

Objective: Capture or Destroy the Soviet Prism tech, and destroy all Soviet forces in the area.

Briefing: The Soviets captured one of our west coast bases and with it one of our Prism Towers. We believe they may be trying to replicate that technology at a secret Soviet research facility in the Yucatan. A SEAL strike team is standing by, Commander, awaiting your orders.

Author's note: A rather annoying mission, you're supposed to get more Navy SEALS and an engineer if you capture a tower but it never triggered for me. Capturing the airport makes the AI send teams of engineers to recapture it until they are successful.

Name: Lt. Eva
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Navy SEAL
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Flak
WEAPON: MP5 Submachine Gun
COST: 1000

[There is no Manual entry for this unit]

Author's Note: Essentially a male version of Tanya, they likely exist because you can't have multiple Tanya's, technically. The only real debate is who's voice lines and which gun(s) you prefer.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Soviet Soldiers have nicknamed you "The Ghost" for your skills at stealthy destruction."

Slower than Par Time: "Thanks to you, our technology has been recovered."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wow, I don't remember this one at all.