Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol banking on Roberts to do the right thing.

If he has a "judicial philosophy" it's the independence and co-equality of the branches of government. I really don't see him buying a "temporary" blanket immunity from subpoenas from another branch simply because you claim it's politically motivated.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lol banking on Roberts to do the right thing.

Roberts is a lovely, but I think his entire goal is to not be in the history books as Justice Taney II. He also doesn't want to reduce his authority at all. As such, he may be a somewhat moderating force on issues like this like he was in the Obamacare stuff.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Can law students post here I just wrapped up my 1L and I want to complain

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Badactura posted:

Do it, I want to hear complaints

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Badactura posted:

You can't say they didn't warn you.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Badactura posted:

Several of us in this thread have been posting here since 1L and are now 10 year attorneys. So, you know, decide if you want our company.

Edit: Oh, yeah, join the federalist society. With the war things are going, that's a ticket to a judgeship if you want it.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 12, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Several of us in this thread have been posting here since 1L and are now 10 year attorneys. So, you know, decide if you want our company.

I'm legally eligible to be a judge now. That is loving hilarious.
I was going to volunteer for small claims and traffic pro-tems, but then covid. . . .

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

nm posted:

I'm legally eligible to be a judge now. That is loving hilarious.
I was going to volunteer for small claims and traffic pro-tems, but then covid. . . .

What's your FedSoc membership number?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Munin posted:

What's your FedSoc membership number?

I live in California, so I'm stuck with state courts only. I should have joined fedsoc and infiltrated the federal judiciary and am kicking myself over it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Badactura posted:

It's unlikely to help.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Badactura posted:

Yes and also it only gets worse.

California took another bath on bar results. I can only wonder how the next offering will be in this COVID-19 world.

Edit: throatwarbler post the emails

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BigHead posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, join the federalist society. With the war things are going, that's a ticket to a judgeship if you want it.

One of the federal courts in NY has a thirty-seven year old's nomination pending.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eminent Domain posted:

Edit: throatwarbler post the emails

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Which one of you is this guys lawyer

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

All male Federalist Society members are legally obligated to look like Dwight from the Office when he wears a full suit just in case there are cameras to record their event for posterity on C-SPAN. Bow tie optional but recommended. Being a weird murderer optional.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

yronic heroism posted:

All male Federalist Society members are legally obligated to look like Dwight from the Office when he wears a full suit just in case there are cameras to record their event for posterity on C-SPAN. Bow tie optional but recommended. Being a weird murderer optional.

Fun tip for all the 1Ls in this thread:

Be openly hostile to any Federalist society dipshits at your school whenever there's an event, they put out a club table, or just generally when you see them in class. You don't want to miss your chance since they'll probably all be federal judges within 5 years.

Joking aside, you really should treat them like the dipshits they are. They're all uniformly spoiled fucks who were born on third and think they hit a triple.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I don’t even remember the Federalist Society existing in law school, or anyone being a member of it. I know it must have but then again I was drinking screwdrivers in my coffee mug

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also this guy has the brain of a loving slow loris or something and he’s arguing for the president in front of the Supreme Court lol

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1260359394224717826?s=21

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don’t even remember the Federalist Society existing in law school, or anyone being a member of it. I know it must have but then again I was drinking screwdrivers in my coffee mug

All I remember about the Federalist Society is they had free pizza at some meetings. That wasn't enough for me to go because the Lexis lady took care of my free pizza needs.

And it was Wild Turkey and Sprite for me. In the Sprite bottle.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Also this guy has the brain of a loving slow loris or something and he’s arguing for the president in front of the Supreme Court lol

https://twitter.com/fordm/status/1260359394224717826?s=21

We're not really talking about the sort of people who are used to actually answering questions here. His notes probably just said "say Ginsburg is a terrible judge."

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
How much are straightforward estate planning docs these days for a couple in a high COL area? I'm getting quotes at like $2k, which I guess seems fair, but I thought I had like $500-$700 in my head for some reason.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Basic wills and guardianship for kids is around $750 as far as I know. Setting up simple testamentary trusts shouldn’t be much more. $2k seems high unless there’s something complicated.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1260704101287038976?s=21

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah that's about as care mad as I would expect a judge to get if you tried to pull this poo poo in front of them

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
opposing counsel in one of my cases sent an email to our magistrate judge a few days ago asking if she could appear at an upcoming settlement conference telephonically. court said no, get hosed, be there in person.

today she sent a stern letter telling him that he needs to reconsider its opinion because of COVID and the governor and blah blah blah. concludes the letter with a barely-veiled threat to go to the chief judge of the district (who is not even the Article III on this case) if our magistrate doesnt reconsider.

also note, our chief judge is a hardcore libertarian who has been against any covid-related delays from the beginning

anyway I can't wait till I get to the point in my career and/or get deep enough into alcoholism that I think asking to speak to a federal judge's manager is a good idea

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Gleeson prosecuted John gotti which is fitting and also a few days ago wrote an op-Ed saying the judge didn’t have to accept the dismissal. To quality shade for a federal judge

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Soothing Vapors posted:

opposing counsel in one of my cases sent an email to our magistrate judge a few days ago asking if she could appear at an upcoming settlement conference telephonically. court said no, get hosed, be there in person.

today she sent a stern letter telling him that he needs to reconsider its opinion because of COVID and the governor and blah blah blah. concludes the letter with a barely-veiled threat to go to the chief judge of the district (who is not even the Article III on this case) if our magistrate doesnt reconsider.

also note, our chief judge is a hardcore libertarian who has been against any covid-related delays from the beginning

anyway I can't wait till I get to the point in my career and/or get deep enough into alcoholism that I think asking to speak to a federal judge's manager is a good idea
Holy poo poo, what judges are still insisting on in person hearings. I don't even think EDTex judges are doing that.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
our chief judge is the kind of dude who talks about his "sacred duty" as an article III judge so keeping the courts running > keeping jurors alive in his book

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Soothing Vapors posted:

I only have criminal cases at the moment in federal court but all hearings I've had have been through video conference since March. I (or I guess my client) could technically demand an in-person hearing as a defendant has to affirmatively waive that right under the CARES act but everyone has made it super clear that video/phone conferences are preferred. Frankly, I'm floored that your district doesn't have a standing order favoring phone/video conferences for all appearances.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I mean, it's a bad idea and not going to work, but when the options are "complain to the judge's manager" vs "risk literal death"

Her best (read: most.comical) option is probably just to show up masked and then cough constantly through the hearing while staring at the judge. "Hey, you (cough) told me (cough) to be (cough) here (cough)."

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

gvibes posted:

Holy poo poo, what judges are still insisting on in person hearings. I don't even think EDTex judges are doing that.

We're doing a limited reopening in our court and evidentiary hearings are required to be in person appearances.

Should be fun.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Ok so this semester was half a stupid garbage fire because of COVID meaning we switched to Zoom halfway through the semester. I won't lie I had a hard time paying attention compared to sitting in real class.

But my Contract professor was a major law and econ guy and spent a bunch of time evangelizing his views on that, then gave an all multiple choice final. My Federalist society conlaw powers prof actually gave up on class once Zoom hit, and my only prof to keep their poo poo together was my Property prof.

Takeaway from my first year: I wasn't a huge fan of the legal system going into school, and learning more about how it is formally supposed to work hasn't improved my opinion of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's still time to go and get a degree in something worthwhile!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's still time to go and get a degree in something worthwhile!

But I spent all this money already

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Would you say you've sunk a certain cost into it?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Badactura posted:

Takeaway from my first year: I wasn't a huge fan of the legal system going into school, and learning more about how it is formally supposed to work hasn't improved my opinion of it.

Come do family law where my only job is to give financial advise, negotiate and figure out how to make poo poo work before I have to savage someone in court.

I'm threatening someone with deportation today but it's OK because he's a physically abusive monster.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Nice piece of fish posted:

Would you say you've sunk a certain cost into it?

I would!

More seriously, there's a lot of factors that went into my choice to go to law school that I don't really want to get into but I'm pretty set on making this mistake.

GrandmaParty posted:

Come do family law where my only job is to give financial advise, negotiate and figure out how to make poo poo work before I have to savage someone in court.

I'm threatening someone with deportation today but it's OK because he's a physically abusive monster.

I'm actually hoping going into public defense. One of my parents was a career public defender and they've been someone I look up to. I'm still not sure how I'm squaring that with my feeling that the justice system is like a big meat grinder for the socially vulnerable. If it turns out I can't family law sounds cool.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Doing a Zoom deposition first thing today. OC asked the witness his height and weight. Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

Doing a Zoom deposition first thing today. OC asked the witness his height and weight. Kill me.

your honor, the first thing that the witness did was lie, on the record, claiming to be several inches taller and thirty pounds less than anyone with eyes can see he is