Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

trucutru posted:

Remember when the stick figure animations in Pitfall! were groundbreaking? If so you an old.

I remember turning a tank and bouncing the shots off of walls. When you hit the other tank it would spin. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DigitalPenny posted:

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.

Like why do you need any model with a billion triangles... other than to scan something with lidar and be to lazy to clean it up.

Hats off to them if it works that is pretty incredible.

You're always working at a higher initial resolution, if you can automate away the need to bake lighting and generate lod then you've just found an incredible development speedhack especially if it lets high-end systems scale forward in a future-proofy way.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If Chris Roberts was to switch to Unreal 5 Engine he would build full scale RSI space ships and lidar them right?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

I’m pretty sure that there was actually an older version of SQ42 that was close to being done at one point, but it was scrapped sometime after the vertical slice demo in 2017. Since then I think Chris has been furiously trying to refactor the whole thing in a vain attempt to try to catch up with modern games.

Well, either there was a game, and then CR saw it for the first ever time and said "what is this poo poo? Redo it all" or they lied their asses off for years saying it was almost ready.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wasn't one of the rumors that they had to scrap the nearly completed SQ42 because the scale was completely off.

Like right now everything is tiny as gently caress but they company that put SQ42 together just used normal size poo poo so nothing was compatible.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I think that's why they said sataball got canned/not integrated with the game proper?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Chronojam posted:

You're always working at a higher initial resolution, if you can automate away the need to bake lighting and generate lod then you've just found an incredible development speedhack especially if it lets high-end systems scale forward in a future-proofy way.

i have done a huge amount of 3D modelling, and not having to worry about point counts, polygons and ect would be awesome .... the tech looked really cool. dont get me wrong 20 million triangles on screen in real time is mind mind'bogglingly awesome

but to have a flat plane with 7 million polygons is just bloat ... more doesn't mean better, no matter how many triangles you add a square it will just be a square ... and unless you are getting out the microscope you done need thousands of triangles to see a circle... how many round hand rails have you seen in games and thought dam if only they could add a few more hundred triangles and smooth it out ?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Wasn't one of the rumors that they had to scrap the nearly completed SQ42 because the scale was completely off.

Like right now everything is tiny as gently caress but they company that put SQ42 together just used normal size poo poo so nothing was compatible.

That was the rumor for Space Marine, or whatever that arena fps shooter Illfonic did for them was called.

The Squadron 42 rumor was that they had their level designers putting together on-foot locations and then suddenly realized, whoops, their cleverly-named aliens with the swords were too big to fit in any of their own hallways.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You guys obviously know nothing about video game engine development!

Here, educate yourselves:

quote:

exactly. not sure why the whole unreal, unity, whatever drama from over 5 years ago is even brought up anymore. not only is it not relevant, but in hindsight CIGs decision to use Cryengine (and now lumberyard) can be seen as a very good one.

CIG used Cryengine and its worked out fine, get over it people.

quote:

Choosing CryEngine or Unreal when they started development would have been practically the same thing, as CIG would've had to rewrite half of either engine anyway, cos neither had 64-bit positioning/maps/etc. In fact, due to Crytek's debacle, CryEngine turned out to be the best option (albeit unexpected and unplanned), because tons of disgruntled Crytek employees turned to CIG's flock and created the Franktfurt studio, and because that allowed CIG to go under Amazon's mantle. Or do you see Epic having a complete server infraestructure by any chance?

quote:

I'm also quite confident that if Team 17 wanted to they could use Cryengine 1 to create a Worms map with 10,000 concurrent worms.

I haven't thought about worms in, like, a decade.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The again, a turn with 10,000 worms would take a while.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Man the last Worms I played was that short-lived Worms 3D which was actually fun.

New Worms when?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Someone make a Lemmings game with Unreal Engine V please.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

By "Someone" I mean anyone but Chris Roberts.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts would try to sell me a jpeg of a blocker lemming to block above it's weight (only for ever other lemming to no clip right though him.)

I'm sure that the blocker lemming would at lest stand there with it's hands out ..... It's just t-posing after all.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
*rapidly tapping nuke*

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I already know the answer to my own question but why do they make these tech showoff promo things so intensely boring and subdued?

Give me a muton fighting a krogan in an exploding nightclub,then they both bust through a wall into a mario game before a gundam stomps into view and kicks bowser into the sun?

BOORIING!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I was never tempted to be a backer, but this looked like a big red flag to me early on. Like, no other game dev on the planet touts poly numbers as a feature. And if you have to pump them up like that, wtf is wrong with your normal mapping?

That Kickstarter pitch is absolutely riddled with hilarious red flags. Maybe it's hindsight talking, but you cannot read that now and not see that this thing was off the rails and run by a stone stupid narcissist from day 1.

Even lots of people in this thread have the base belief that this project had an obtainable scope to begin with. They got crobbled big time

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Give me a muton fighting a krogan in an exploding nightclub,then they both bust through a wall into a mario game before a gundam stomps into view and kicks bowser into the sun?
This sounds a lot less like you recognize "things" as exciting so much as "brands"

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Bootcha posted:

*rapidly tapping nuke*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7njpTd06I

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Unreal Engine 5 just revealed and showed some interesting new tech that hopefully inspires CIG as well...

See over here: UNREAL 5 TECH DEMO VIDEO
- Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry, which frees artists to create as much geometric detail as the eye can see.
- Lumen, a fully dynamic global illumination solution that immediately reacts to scene and light changes.
Kinda amazed by their tech in this case and here's hoping that CIG gets inspired as well, that Nanite tech seems very impressive, I wonder if it could be used for Ships as well, it would certainly seem to reduce asset production, seeing that you most likely wouldn't have to make any low poly models anymore, if I understand it correctly.

:eng101: I mean this is the opportunity cost of technical debt - you fall behind trying to put flashy graphics tech before building blocks like OCS and server meshing and before long you're lapped by other emerging technologies that makes your game look dated.

:nyd: Kinda wack to suggest the game looks "dated" because a demo comes out with tech no one's using. There's still no real alternative to what SC is doing. If it was that easy to fulfill SC's ambitions then another studio would have taken up the mantle and started gobbling up the market for complex space sims that we now know exists.

:crossarms: It doesn't look dated today, but by the time it releases it will definitely look dated.. very dated I'm afraid.

:rant: In their defense - the community is largely responsible. It's an endless string of pitchforks demanding a playable game at a point in the development where a playable game isn't on the table. Arguably - in a closed-door development cycle, they WOULD build things like OCS/Netcode first. But they need to sell pretty things to stay afloat and we demand a playable product ahead of schedule. It's a bad set up, in the end. They'd have been better off never deploying the PU, although the funding probably wouldn't be the same either.

:airquote: Counterpoint: Here is a line from CR in a letter from the chairman in 2014
"We keep a healthy cash reserve so that if funding stopped tomorrow we would still be able to deliver Star Citizen (not quite to the current level of ambition, but well above what was planned in Oct 2012)." :trustme:
If the excuse in 2020 has become "they need to sell things to stay afloat", then they have either wasted the vast majority of funding provided to them, or they've always been lying about it all. Either way they created this situation themselves. No one forced them to do things the way they've been doing them, they have shown time and time again that in the end they care very little for the opinion of a vocal subset of the community too. The only reason they're doing things this way is because they want to sell pretty pixels for more cash. The end result is a game that isn't progressing at all it seems, and other games slowly but surely overtaking them in the graphics department aswell, give it another 5 years and the engine they're trying to cobble together will be completely obsolete... But 5 years seems an optimistic estimate for release at this rate of "development".

:argh: The whole, its the backers fault thing strikes a nerve with me. As if the backers have any real pull when it comes to CRs game. He had to get kicked out of Digital Anvil when he didnt produce for MS, you think his direction changes with backer opinion? Eff no.... And the "well early backers voted for this" rhetoric is just as tiring. You poll only people whove paid enough attention to even know Star Citizen was a thing, and only poll people whove financially backed. Basically ask the space sim fam crowd of people backing the project, "do you want a better game"?... of course people will vote yes. If you could travel back in time and add the caveat itd be 2022 before sq42 came out, i doubt youd have such avid support. But my point is, the poll is already inherently biased due to the people and type of funding the project. Saying its on backers for this turning into a 9 or 10 year dev cycle for the singleplayer portion is bananas

:tif:

can't believe how much these posters do not understand game development

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

This sounds a lot less like you recognize "things" as exciting so much as "brands"

It was just a suggestion,if you’re going to show something off why not make it colourful?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

colonelwest posted:

I’m not really saying they have some ace up their sleeve that we aren’t seeing, as much as Chris still believes that he can salvage something and that is why he hasn’t walked away yet.

But I will go out on a limb and say that we will eventually see SQ42 released in some form. It will be a horrible poo poo pile of a game, but it will see the light of day. I’m pretty sure that there was actually an older version of SQ42 that was close to being done at one point, but it was scrapped sometime after the vertical slice demo in 2017. Since then I think Chris has been furiously trying to refactor the whole thing in a vain attempt to try to catch up with modern games.

At this point there must have been at least 2.5 full scrap and reboots of SQ42.

It's the only guidance I can actually imagine Chris providing the project. He pays professionals to present him with art assets and demos and his job is to say it's not good enough. This is why he and his wife make the huge bucks

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

It was just a suggestion,if you’re going to show something off why not make it colourful?

A big part of the appeal in this particular demo is familiarity - yeah, its drab brown rock, but everyone has seen rocks (hopefully) and having this sort of insanely photorealistic detail on something anyone can recognize and understand goes a long way towards selling the product.
Yea you could have gundams and fantasy poo poo - but that honestly isn't as hard to make look good as something 'real' and grounded.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The demo is probably meant for people in the industry, and lots of them take themselves real seriously

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Solarin posted:

At this point there must have been at least 2.5 full scrap and reboots of SQ42.
Reading about DNF's development made me certain of this.

Nothing is ever good enough since it's behind and they simply don't have the talent to ever be ahead. So they just keep cycle through dumping things and putting some of the scraps on the PU server.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At least DNF was self-funded and they didn't fob paying-customers with JPEGs of Duke's muscles.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DigitalPenny posted:

i have done a huge amount of 3D modelling, and not having to worry about point counts, polygons and ect would be awesome .... the tech looked really cool. dont get me wrong 20 million triangles on screen in real time is mind mind'bogglingly awesome

but to have a flat plane with 7 million polygons is just bloat ... more doesn't mean better, no matter how many triangles you add a square it will just be a square ... and unless you are getting out the microscope you done need thousands of triangles to see a circle... how many round hand rails have you seen in games and thought dam if only they could add a few more hundred triangles and smooth it out ?

Sure, but I assume that's just an artifact of the fact that they didn't "clean up" anything geometry-wise because this Nanite thing doesn't require it. If in the end the performance is good why bother wasting time optimizing geometry if the engine will do it for you?

As a software engineer I'm all about being as lazy as possible.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Titanic posted:

I love the Star Citizen polygon count claim because it showed very well how unaware certain people were to how game components and art needed to be created.

CR is not the first person who said "well let's just use the high detail models in the game!" instead of use them as a reference for baking a normal map onto a lower polygon count object.

This was not revolutionary. It was ignorance. :)

Fits in with the general attitude of CR and everyone who's set up an insanely ambitious MMO kickstarter. "The only reason there isn't an MMO with a gigantic completely realistic world where you can do literally anything is that I'm the first person to think of the idea"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gj8pmz/isc_preview_hard_surfaces_future_of_prisons/fqjarpg/

marumaru
May 20, 2013

you can chose the type of paint you customize your ship (for real money obviously) with. clear coat! iridescent!

star citizen has come to.

bravo roberts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I already know the answer to my own question but why do they make these tech showoff promo things so intensely boring and subdued?

BOORIING!

I, too, believe that Ready Player One is the pinnacle of artistic achievement.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fidelitious posted:

This is why you develop the pipelines first!

Jeez, you guys know nothing about software devleopment!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DarkDobe posted:

Man the last Worms I played was that short-lived Worms 3D which was actually fun.

New Worms when?

Every couple of years or so, Team 17's husk attempts to capture the lightning in a bottle.

Worms Armageddon has never really been topped. And they're missing a trick simply not upgrading it for each new platform, but leaving the gameplay alone.

Worms 3D was nightmare.

Fidelitious posted:

Our cycles/hour cost ratio is a bit higher than game developers, so they tend to balance more for performance rather than avoid crunch.

William No-mates.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

All those polygons, well used and fantastically fidelitous

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how CIG tries to outdo AdzAdam in the art department.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sarsapariller posted:

:vince:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't believe that,i just think it was a very boring lifeless demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BOORIING!

bc thats hard to make when the workflows arent in place yet.