Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sarah didn't play a GREAT game but she played fine. She didn't make a move against Tony but what move could she have made? Tony did a good job isolating her and if she had rebelled it would have just been cutting off her nose to spite her face. She never "hid behind" Tony. She just didn't have any moves that would help her that went against Tony's moves until Ben. That hurt her resume but it wasn't out of cowardice or passivity or anything. I think she was deluded about how people perceived her game (this time, she's right in the broader sense) and why but I don't actually think she did anything wrong all game. I mean, besides the basic mistake of aligning with Tony.

I like Denise but I can't possible see saying she played a better game or was more proactive.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
My heart breaks for Michele. I saw her face fall as soon as the third vote was shown to be for Natalie, since usually they put the votes evenly for the first few. :(
She crushed it this season and I love her.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished and while I don't particularly like Tony, he definitely deserved the win.

Kind of irritated Michelle didn't get any votes at the end. I thought for sure Nick voted for her with his little "I know what it feels like to be on the outs" speech.

edit - I think the worst part about Michelle not getting any votes is that she actively tried to save several of the players who ultimately got booted by the Tony/Sarah/Ben+pals group. She played an idol for Jeremy, she told Nick exactly what would happen to him, she told Sarah that Tony would win, etc.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 14, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really think Michelle will be fine. Hell the fact that we're all so disappointed she didn't get a pity vote really speaks to how dramatically people have turned on the player who came in considered by many if not most as the weakest winner/player in the cast.

I would have liked to see her do that "raise your hands if you gave me a token" thing though. But I don't think it would have changed the results, just hammered home her social game and been a fun moment.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

For some reason I'm even more curious about Michelle / Wendell when he didn't even vote for her at the end of a season of Survivor.

Also for someone with the skills, a side by side video of Jeff reading the votes and Michelle's facial reactions would be great fun.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Didn't see Wendell's season, but I did not enjoy him on this season.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Can the next gimmick be all first-boots?

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
On a personal level, its really amazing for me that Tony won the all winners season. I was a casual fan of Survivor in my youth. It was a great show that I loved but I never appreciated it like I do now. I still remember getting so upset over Yau-man being betrayed by Dreamz that I stopped watching. I remember watching Russel Hantz in my edgy teenage years and loving him. I burnt out of the show again after his losses and from seeing the gimmick of Redemption Island. As soon as Russel was eliminated I stopped watching. I only got back into the show in the Cagayan season. I decided to watch it on a whim when I was at a friends house. My friend had never seen survivor. We watched Tony get the idol as he went crazy. My friend said Tony was the winner and I laughed at him. I told him a guy like Tony never wins. I went on to watch one of the most amazing seasons of Survivor I have ever seen. It hooked me right back in. Watching Tony win when it defied all known Survivor logic to me made sure I was a loyal from from then on.

A bunch of seasons between then and now have been full of gimmicks I hated. This reached a boiling point for me with Edge of Extinction where if they kept that mechanic going forward I'd probably stop watching. (Thank god they've all but said they're never doing it again.) But all of the other advantages and the fire making are here to stay. I'd have probably have stopped watching by now if not for the strength of Cagayan and how it got me so deep into the fandom. It makes me willing to take the bad with the good. And now in such an important season edge of extinction is poised to ruin it for me. Don't get me wrong, I love Nat. She's one of my favorite winners. And I don't blame her for playing the hand she was dealt. I just hate that those cards were even in the deck. I'm sitting there watching Sarah's fire get higher and higher, burning through the rope. I'm convinced Nat will beat her and Michelle. And then Sarah smothers the fire accidentally (at least I think that's what happened.) Meanwhile Tony is being Tony and his fire looks like a Jenga tower to me. And it works. It lights up and Tony wins. And the Jury really did vote for him over Natalie. Perhaps in part because she didn't do good enough jury management on the Edge but largely because Tony played incredibly. Here Tony is, a two time winner. The winner of the all winners season. The guy who when I first saw him I confidently said "He can't win." The guy who helped reignite my love of the game and make it burn stronger than ever. Thanks to him, I'm already looking forward to Survivor 41: Summer Camp.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also for someone with the skills, a side by side video of Jeff reading the votes and Michelle's facial reactions would be great fun.

I just watched Michele's face during the entire vote reading because I am drawn to her face like a moth to flame

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pokeyman posted:

I know that's a fun joke we like to make but that would probably be a really bad season.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/TysonApostol/status/1260768506481532930

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Deceptive posted:

And then Sarah smothers the fire accidentally (at least I think that's what happened.)

I'm pretty sure Sarah didn't smother the fire. She just went all-in on the coconut husk but that poo poo burns through quick and doesn't hold a fire long enough to get through the rope. I am curious though what would happen if a Survivor just built a platform with the other wood pieces and effectively started the fire higher and closer to the rope instead of at the bottom...

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Congrats to Tony, the new King of Survivor!

I still think Sandra's two wins are more impressive overall as someone was assured a second win this year (or a third in Sandra's case).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Deceptive posted:

I'm sitting there watching Sarah's fire get higher and higher, burning through the rope. I'm convinced Nat will beat her and Michelle. And then Sarah smothers the fire accidentally (at least I think that's what happened.)

Thanks to him, I'm already looking forward to Survivor 41: Summer Camp.

It's super satisfying when someone you want to win, wins.

Sara didn't smother her fire, she just used too much of the husk too fast. It's a classic blunder and tempting mistake to make. Those high flames are impressive, better keep doing what I'm doing and just nip this in the bud, the string is literally in the fire! oh poo poo the flame is gone and not enough wood burning to sustain...

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm pretty sure Sarah didn't smother the fire. She just went all-in on the coconut husk but that poo poo burns through quick and doesn't hold a fire long enough to get through the rope. I am curious though what would happen if a Survivor just built a platform with the other wood pieces and effectively started the fire higher and closer to the rope instead of at the bottom...

I've always wondered what the exact rules are too. Like, is there a rule to stop you from just picking up the a piece of the fire with your bare hand and holding it to rope? If not I'd take the burns to win a million if it looks like my opponent is going to beat me. I have to imagine they'd stop that though. So what are the rules exactly?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sandra not only not winning, but quitting, just means we will forever have no resolution to the this kind of question. tony and sandra fights to the end of days

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think you'd really be able to do that because the magnesium would fall through the husk. The way you do it is kind of the way Sarah did it, she just didn't build a high enough base on top of the fire she had started. She also failed to add fuel to the fire when the husk started licking at the rope the first time. If she had been adding those longer kindling strips in a tepee like fashion around the husk as it's burning, it's might have been enough to keep it burning at that height.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I did that challenge plenty of times in scouts, except from the ground and with a higher string and no loving magnesium

I did win once by building a log cabin and starting the fire at the top. That wasn't allowed again

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Seeing how hard it is to actually play a perfect game and win coming back from the Edge tells me Chris underwood got jobbed. His win was actually pretty impressive and he should have been given a chance as another 'controversial' winner

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

pokeyman posted:

Only if Franches...qua is invited back and only if she overplays like she's in the middle of a final 6 sundown scramble vote again and only if she's the first boot again.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silly Burrito posted:

Congrats to Tony, the new King of Survivor!

I still think Sandra's two wins are more impressive overall as someone was assured a second win this year (or a third in Sandra's case).

I think winning that dominantly against a cast of all winners puts him over the top but also who cares they're the King and Queen on top together they don't have to be 1 and 2 they can be 1 and 1

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I know that's a fun joke we like to make but that would probably be a really bad season.

Oh it would be awful. But still not bottom five of gimmicks.

Stokes posted:

Only if Franches...qua is invited back and only if she overplays like she's in the middle of a final 6 sundown scramble vote again and only if she's the first boot again.

Sold!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
move over mr sandra diaz, there's a new hubby in town and he's already watching you from the trees

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Usually when I think a season is going into kind of a tailspin at the end & there's an obvious winner, the finale ends up being a big-time drag, so I was pleasantly surprised by how good this episode turned out to be.

I love Nat and Michele so obviously them making it to the end made me happy, and I was glad that Tony's potential to be overbearing was balanced out by him actually having to fight (and deal with incompetent alliance mates) to earn a spot in the finals. I was surprised by how much I liked Ben and Sarah in the finale, though — Sarah getting kind of loopy and fundamentally misreading the game was entertaining, and Ben sacrificing himself was legitimately one of the most interesting things I can remember happening on Survivor in a long time.

The fire challenge was even captivating! (even though it's still really stupid & they should retire it immediately)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wonder if anyone's ever jumped into the water barrel.

Sorry I mean the spy barrel.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

I love Tyson.

Also I thought the portion where Natalie sent the cops to fire was really weird. She said something about breaking up the pair, and whether that was good strategy aside, it was definitely the result of her choice. Then Sarah started to pretend cough her water for some reason?

Sarah sucks I guess is my point.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Also forget Tony as the King of Survivor, obviously Natalie's average finish of 1.5th place makes her the current greatest returning Survivor player of all time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

Also forget Tony as the King of Survivor, obviously Natalie's average finish of 1.5th place makes her the current greatest returning Survivor player of all time

Her average is actually 7.67 imo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

IcePhoenix posted:

Her average is actually 7.67 imo

Look, she's playing within the confines of the rules the producers set. If Tony wanted to be the real "King of Survivor" then maybe he should have had the foresight to have the season he got voted out prejury combined with the second season he won,

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

xbilkis posted:

Look, she's playing within the confines of the rules the producers set. If Tony wanted to be the real "King of Survivor" then maybe he should have had the foresight to have the season he got voted out prejury combined with the second season he won,

That was actually a joke about her twin getting voted out first but I didn't actually bother to check how many people they started with that season before opening up my calculator so maybe the math doesn't work

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

pokeyman posted:

Didn't see Wendell's season, but I did not enjoy him on this season.

Wendell was in a really dominate alliance with a guy named Domenick. I would say their games were pretty much identical. It's hard to see here but he was really likeable on Ghost Island. He only had 2 total votes against him the entire game. That final tribal was neat because Dom and Wendell had a tie vote to win. So that was really fun. I liked Wendell a lot but my God he was so bad this time around.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

IcePhoenix posted:

That was actually a joke about her twin getting voted out first but I didn't actually bother to check how many people they started with that season before opening up my calculator so maybe the math doesn't work

Oh whoops lol

I am slightly disappointed that we didn't get the symmetry of two different N. Anderson first boot/winner seasons

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

pokeyman posted:

does Natalie get to play in that season?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Do an all goat season but also bring back Michele

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Michelle really deserved some votes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would put Sandra ahead of Tony. I think her game is pretty timeless, whereas Tony’s wouldn’t have worked as well In the earlier seasons IMO. That’s not to discredit him because he’d be my #2.

But Sandra came into this having won twice already and having the biggest target on her back and she was still sitting fairly pretty until her own hubris did her in.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It was less her own hubris and more her feeling sorry for Denise as a friend

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Wendell was in a really dominate alliance with a guy named Domenick. I would say their games were pretty much identical. It's hard to see here but he was really likeable on Ghost Island. He only had 2 total votes against him the entire game. That final tribal was neat because Dom and Wendell had a tie vote to win. So that was really fun. I liked Wendell a lot but my God he was so bad this time around.

That's actually pretty encouraging, thanks!

Lone Goat posted:

does Natalie get to play in that season?

Of course! Twinnies!

Unison
Oct 12, 2005
Tony's game really tailspinned throughout that last episode, but that final 3 was definitely the most satisfying configuration possible, so it's hard to feel in any way butthurt about his win... except that he is going to use his winnings to become a bigger landlord.

Unison fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Thrilled that Tony won. Can't believe Natalie made such a critical error in pitting Tony against Lacina. I was thinking in the moment that Natalie needs to put herself in against Tony for her best chance or have Michelle beat Tony at the very least since I don't think Michelle was going to pick up any votes sitting next to any of the other three.

Giving an idol to Tyson was a nice way for Natalie to secure his vote but I imagine it would have been rough if she mentioned it at FTC. A lot of people would be wondering why they didn't get it.

It would be quite the feat for Michelle to win from an underdog position when a dominant player could use "What kind of player do you want to represent a winner's season?"

Glad the reunion sections took so little time in favor of more in-game scenes, but it's such a bummer that it was so... quiet... for the vote reads.

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe Ben's just like Sandra and knows he can't win and wants to go out on a white knight note.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Ben, let me be your white knight, my lady.

Nice job using the same language right wing chuds use. Super gross. Not thrilled with a player falling on their sword either but coming just short of using "virtue signalling" RIGHT after players rightfully express how difficult it is for women to get respected for the same things men get respected for is extraordinarily tone deaf.

Fast Luck posted:

Tony > Sandra

Fast Luck posted:

Tony > Sandra

Fast Luck posted:

Tony > Sandra