Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

as dumb and unsatisfying as this manga's gotten, legosi is still the shining pinhead that holds it all together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

These two have way too much chemistry for my liking

Makes me wish we had more Haru & Juno interactions

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
louis is right that he's acting too happy-go-lucky about his imminent deathmatch with the de facto leader of the city's criminal underworld, but we all know the poo poo he got up to before his showdown with riz so this is really par for the course

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Kanos posted:

This is actually really funny in the context of this series, where animals consuming other animals is a huge central issue. :haw:

Oh yeah, it's completely in tone with the series, I just forgot that those weirdoes would eat this poo poo up (:haw:) until I was staring at fanart of Legosi inviting Haru to dinner.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

These two have way too much chemistry for my liking

Makes me wish we had more Haru & Juno interactions
we could have more haru in any context, she's great every time she actually appears

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

we could have more haru in any context, she's great every time she actually appears

The chapters we had not too long ago made me really miss her. She really is great everytime she appears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i saw the raws for the latest chapter and there are three things about this manga making me upset right now

1) the continued over-reliance on shounen stock tropes such as training and tournament arcs (none of which are even very well done), which have been taking more and more focus away from the comic's original strength, the relationship and worldbuilding dynamics, while also making the setting unrelatably outlandish - see pretty much everything having to do with kyuu

2) the plot moving away from examinations of the love/hunger dynamic and the social cost of indulging one's appetites/passions in favor of increased focus on "hybrids," which is a clumsier way of approaching the prejudices between herbivores and carnivores and has been getting really tedious with the sudden mutations and contrived scrambling of melon's and legosi's biology

and

3) how cute child legosi is. he's so loving cute! look at that dopey little ragamuffin! look at him!! argh!!!!

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 14, 2020

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i saw the raws for the latest chapter and there are three things about this manga making me upset right now

1) the continued over-reliance on shounen stock tropes such as training and tournament arcs (none of which are even very well done), which have been taking more and more focus away from the comic's original strength, the relationship and worldbuilding dynamics, while also making the setting unrelatably outlandish - see pretty much everything having to do with kyuu

2) the plot moving away from examinations of the love/hunger dynamic and the social cost of indulging one's appetites/passions in favor of increased focus on "hybrids," which is a clumsier way of approaching the prejudices between herbivores and carnivores and has been getting really tedious with the sudden mutations and contrived scrambling of melon's and legosi's biology

and

3) how cute child legosi is. he's so loving cute! look at that dopey little ragamuffin! look at him!! argh!!!!

yeah theres definitely some vestigial baki in beastars

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

scary ghost dog posted:

yeah theres definitely some vestigial baki in beastars

Legosi is Baki's fursona confirmed.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Oxxidation posted:

I'd really rather Legosi trained with his seal friend to learn how to punch sharks. Maybe next arc. And the only thing I like about Kyuu is how she stores knives in her ears, that is the best ridiculousness.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All of the comic that has focused on the self loathing of the hybrid status is way more grounded and relatable as a mixed race person than the way more surface level metaphor of carnivorousness as sex. I strongly disagree that its the comics strength.

These latest chapters have been emotionally some of the hypest the comics ever been too.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

All of the comic that has focused on the self loathing of the hybrid status is way more grounded and relatable as a mixed race person than the way more surface level metaphor of carnivorousness as sex. I strongly disagree that its the comics strength.

and you're strongly wrong

you might have had a point six months ago (arguable even then), but now the hybrid thing has stopped being used as a way to examine social prejudice in favor of giving characters an excuse to do things like spontaneously double in size or regenerate their own teeth. it mainly exists now to facilitate the shounen punching action, and it doesn't help that the only two characters who really suffer the angst of their heritage are legosi, who already had plenty of cause to feel ostracized without it, and loving melon, maybe the sloppiest character in the entire series

and that ties into another thing that's been grinding my gears more and more as the story's gone on - this comic about "animal people" no longer really feels like it's about animals, just fantasy creatures in the shapes of animals. komodo dragons are basically xenomorphs, crossbreeds can mutate at speeds that would make the x-men dizzy, and that's not even getting into the history chapter that thankfully seems to have been forgotten about for now. beastars always played fast and loose with biology and had a weird quasi-mystical bent to how they functioned, but up to the fight with Riz that still tied into its themes about appetite, and since then it's just been getting further and further afield

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

All that sounds really cool, hell yeah.

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably just me, but I don't really see too much of an issue there. I never really understood why the realistic and the fantastical have to be two very distinct ways to tell a story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

you might have had a point six months ago (arguable even then), but now the hybrid thing has stopped being used as a way to examine social prejudice in favor of giving characters an excuse to do things like spontaneously double in size or regenerate their own teeth. it mainly exists now to facilitate the shounen punching action, and it doesn't help that the only two characters who really suffer the angst of their heritage are legosi, who already had plenty of cause to feel ostracized without it, and loving melon, maybe the sloppiest character in the entire series

and that ties into another thing that's been grinding my gears more and more as the story's gone on - this comic about "animal people" no longer really feels like it's about animals, just fantasy creatures in the shapes of animals. komodo dragons are basically xenomorphs, crossbreeds can mutate at speeds that would make the x-men dizzy, and that's not even getting into the history chapter that thankfully seems to have been forgotten about for now. beastars always played fast and loose with biology and had a weird quasi-mystical bent to how they functioned, but up to the fight with Riz that still tied into its themes about appetite, and since then it's just been getting further and further afield
Hell yeah

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
don't get me wrong, it's still dumb fun, but it used to be more than that and it kind of sucks to see what made it unique get pulped into more punchman action

if i want dumb fun then chainsawman is right there

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

this is all good because before it got weird the animal stuff felt like extremely tenuous allegory

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

don't get me wrong, it's still dumb fun, but it used to be more than that and it kind of sucks to see what made it unique get pulped into more punchman action

if i want dumb fun then chainsawman is right there

Chainsawman is actually about emotional beats and catharsis tho

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Endorph posted:

Chainsawman is actually about emotional beats and catharsis tho

and what is beastars about

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get it; does action, shonen, or whatever we're specifically targeting prevent the telling of more in depth stories? Is synthesis not possible?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Furries.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BrokenGameboy posted:

I don't get it; does action, shonen, or whatever we're specifically targeting prevent the telling of more in depth stories? Is synthesis not possible?

it can be! beastars hasn't been pulling it off lately.

that's plenty evident in the newest raw. the flashbacks between gosha and young legosi are great stuff (everything between those two has been solid, really, and would probably justify the hybrid arc along with his mother's appearance if melon wasn't there constantly loving it up), but it's jostling for space with what i'm hoping is a very brief tournament arc and used as an excuse for legosi to magically get his teeth back

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

BrokenGameboy posted:

I don't get it; does action, shonen, or whatever we're specifically targeting prevent the telling of more in depth stories?
it makes it a lot harder

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Oxxidation posted:

and what is beastars about

*shrugs* I dunno. Moth clouds?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Beastars is more grounded and realistic than Baki.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've only seen panels of baki but it looks like toriko on lsd

or maybe toriko is baki on msg

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The arc kind of lost me for a bit at one point but I'm pretty on board with it now. Have really loved the last few chapters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baki is one of the bsst manga ever made

'I see you're a fan of Metal Gear Solid as well. I've picked up a few moves from Solid Snake.'

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i've only seen panels of baki but it looks like toriko on lsd

or maybe toriko is baki on msg

if i have to assign a drug to baki, it would be mushrooms. the art is sublime. the story is almost entirely meaningless, just one guys quest to be stronger than his dad, who is so strong that he could beat up the entire world

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is the chapter out in English yet?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Didn't see this posted yet:
https://youtu.be/82GCcUbJNRs

(Legoshi and Louis english VAs singing a Beastars-themed song. I know this is the manga thread,but it's related at least...)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Technowolf posted:

Is the chapter out in English yet?

here you go

the regenerating all his teeth because he got bitten by a komodo dragon/reminisced about grandpa hugs is really really stupid in a bad way but the chapter was mostly fine and the flashbacks were great

setting up a tournament arc in all this is a bit silly

also still really not a fan of the cliche of "venom = xenomorph blood" bullshit

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

here you go

the regenerating all his teeth because he got bitten by a komodo dragon/reminisced about grandpa hugs is really really stupid in a bad way but the chapter was mostly fine and the flashbacks were great

setting up a tournament arc in all this is a bit silly

also still really not a fan of the cliche of "venom = xenomorph blood" bullshit

Thanks

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
those flashbacks really drove home how badly leano's suicide hosed legosi up

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I actually like the stupid 'monitor poison made my teeth grow back' poo poo, but I have a huge asterisk on that.

I like anything that prevents us from coding the animals and rules in this world as any given analogue in our world. I hate when you get some social commentary piece with the most surface level basic observations and it's like 'oh so the dwarves are british imperialism, got it'. It is such a bad way to explore a subject and should be best avoided in the way beastars does it, where you can't blankly apply a single label to almost anything and it's better for it.

However.

I really want to see it used to support the good stuff the series does. The world building and character interactions, I like the drama and relationship troubles. I like these goofy young characters trying to learn things about themselves in their weird world. I don't like stupid over the top anime plots that aren't really in service of anything.

Legosi fights the shishigumi to save Haru, great personal stakes. I'm down.

Legosi fights that bear because he wants to solve the murder case, okay that's a bit more tenuous but whatever.

A horse asks legosi to help fight melon and I guess also louis is involved and also it goes on for like 100 chapters. Okay I'm tired of it.

Stop setting up stupid fights already.

(Note, the manga is still hella good and enjoyable and while I'd like to see this stupid 'legosi fights escalating threats' shtick get sidelined it doesn't make the whole manga bad by any extent)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
komodo dragons dont even have venom, their mouths are just full of dangerous bacteria

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

komodo dragons dont even have venom, their mouths are just full of dangerous bacteria

Thats controversial right now, in the Komodo Scene. They have glands in the jaw that does something in addition to their bacterial melange but what exactly it is is still being analyzed and discussed with some calling it a venom straight up and others arguing the fluids are something else like an anticoagulant to ensure blood loss from bite wounds and a possible blood pressure lowering effect which are unrelated to more traditional venoms like the necrotoxins and neurotoxins other venmous animals use.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 19, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This chapter ruled and I love how much footwork was put into the regenerative abilities of hybrids and the transformative properties of growing up like that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

that's been revisited over the last five years or so, prevailing opinion now is that they do have venom that forces the afflicted's blood pressure to nosedive by preventing clotting. the bitten prey then dies of cardiac arrest if it doesn't get eaten first. nothing in there about melting concrete, though

legosi's had a habit of pointlessly hurling himself into violent confrontations ever since his onstage tussle with bill, it's just that the necessary escalation of the plot means that this latest crusade of his has gone on forever while the character/worldbuilding stuff is forced to orbit it. the tradeoff is not to its benefit

also it looks like the scanlators have settled on "Yahya" as Vigilante Mr Ed's canon name. it's almost certainly the correct one and i will never ever acknowledge it because i can't read it without thinking of Temmie from Undertale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if an anticoagulant is venom then i guess ticks and mosquitos are venomous as well?????