Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh you better believe I put all those tickets in his queue but I also had users direct pinging me on teams asking what was up.

So my direct manager is on furlough this week and normally he's my "talk me off the ledge" guy. We both do full management of SCCM and im our primary JAMF administrator along with the rest of the job. I also just started a massive knowbe4 security training campaign today so i've been monitoring that pretty carefully.
I took screenshots for my manager to enjoy later.

My director is that guys boss and so technically it was my director that I was trying very hard not to yell at.

edit: feels good to vent this. I can feel my blood pressure going down and I feel way more normal now. There's like no one else for me to talk about this to right now and obviously given the whole COVID situation I dont want to just light my job on fire.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone else use on-prem Mitel Connect to handle their VOIP? Anyone have experience with it? What are general opinions?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have a 10gig circuit that connects to our disaster recovery site. It dropped earlier this morning and when the tech from the ISP arrives, he looks at the hardware and says that it’s old and they aren’t sure they have spares. So that’s fantastic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A veteran IT guy would have been "oh crap I was cleaning up some DNS stuff and must have fat fingered a command, give me a minute to fix."

I mean it's still embarrassing but if you frame it as a mistake instead of intentional the hammer may not come down as hard. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanatosian posted:

Does anyone else use on-prem Mitel Connect to handle their VOIP? Anyone have experience with it? What are general opinions?

We still have an old Mitel 3300

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

A veteran IT guy would have been "oh crap I was cleaning up some DNS stuff and must have fat fingered a command, give me a minute to fix."

I mean it's still embarrassing but if you frame it as a mistake instead of intentional the hammer may not come down as hard. :v:

Assuming the TTL is set to something sane. :allears:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Negative results aren't cached in any sane implementation, luckily.

Our vpn gateway is vpn.$EMPLOYER.de so someone deleting it would have to answer some very pointed questions afterwards…

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Thanatosian posted:

I have definitely done poo poo like this, but the fact that his reaction is anything other than a profuse apology and a writeup of steps he's taken to insure this doesn't happen again should really be grounds for immediate termination.

I don’t think this happens in literally any company. Every place I’ve worked has the ‘no blame’ approach where we all need to sit down nicely and discuss root causes, processes and management so they can implement lots of annoying idiot-proof hoops to jump through. If you say “I’m pretty sure the root cause was that this guy’s a moron and continually makes these mistakes” everyone will look at you like you just farted

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I was asked to attend a meeting about our processes when someone in our shipping department sent a package to an address of a company they found on Google rather than the address I gave them in the shipping request. Not sure that's a process problem guys but if you want to keep finding excuses for the guy with a history of loving up then it's not my money so go for it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Antigravitas posted:

Negative results aren't cached in any sane implementation, luckily.

Definitely not something I trust. I have seen NXDOMAIN responses cached for days.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

silicone thrills posted:

oh thank god we are all working from home because I just started laughing uncontrollably for a solid 20 minutes. Like how else do you react to that? I'm mad as gently caress but what the hell am I going to do about it from here? Nada. I get to sit here and be mad.

If you have a shared admin login (because it sounds like of course you do), just remote into a production server, set up a scheduled task to psexec opening and closing his CD drive, or regediting his 'donk' error noise to 10 minutes of silence then 30 seconds of distorted dialup modem noises.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I swear to god I really am going to walk off this job.

Same dude manages ADFS.

ADFS has been throwing 500 errors all morning. Ways i've been trying to get ahold of him for 3 hours: Emailed. Texted. Ticketed. Teams. Called. Texted again.

Called our Director who also did not pick up.

gently caress. gently caress this loving shithole.

edit: I know there's something stupid easy to reset but its something I dont have instructions for and I dont want to poke around and make things worse.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Gimme vpn access and $200 and I’ll fix it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you should be able to restart the adfs service on all of your farm nodes without any negative impact and solid chance of restoring functionality

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

silicone thrills posted:

I swear to god I really am going to walk off this job.

Same dude manages ADFS.

ADFS has been throwing 500 errors all morning. Ways i've been trying to get ahold of him for 3 hours: Emailed. Texted. Ticketed. Teams. Called. Texted again.

Called our Director who also did not pick up.

gently caress. gently caress this loving shithole.

edit: I know there's something stupid easy to reset but its something I dont have instructions for and I dont want to poke around and make things worse.

Just mentally check out dude, document the issues, escalate the tickets to the idiot, then when people call, just point them at him and give them his cell number. If he wants to give you bullshit work, you can always give him some in return.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
LOL my director called me back to apologize.

Dude just finally logged on and fixed it after I kept blowing up their phones for a while.

Imma harass him to document the process since this seems to happen every few weeks anyway.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If you have a shared admin login (because it sounds like of course you do), just remote into a production server, set up a scheduled task to psexec opening and closing his CD drive, or regediting his 'donk' error noise to 10 minutes of silence then 30 seconds of distorted dialup modem noises.

Shockingly no. We actually have super good security here due to working directly on defense/ ITAR poo poo + a bunch of super big tech companies who demand perfect NIST compliance.
Most of our stuff is good which is why I rarely post angry poo poo here. It's just been like. That one guy doing stupid poo poo.

Honestly its mostly because my manager being furloughed means i'm dealing with this as the next most senior person lol

edit: I miss my manager.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 14, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
loving overtalkers. Goddamn if working remote isn't hard enough without people anticipating your sentence and jumping all over you to answer what they think you are about to ask.

"Can someone please explain to me-" I'M TRYING TO EXPLAIN HOW NETWORKING WORKS. "-when this problem started?"

"Can we try-" WE ARE TRYING TO MITIGATE BY INCREASING THE COMPUTE POOL. "-redirecting traffic to a new region?"

"Can you please-" I'M DOING THE BEST I CAN "-shut the gently caress up?"

People who are simply waiting for their turn to speak rather than listening to understand can have their skin slowly eaten away in a vat of weak acid.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm getting increasingly frustrated and bored at $job. Over the past month, I've gone from being treated as a part of the team with the somewhat unfortunate luck to be a student assistant (read: paid intern) who is nevertheless competent and knowledgeable to being treated like I'm not qualified to know or do anything more complex than creating AD accounts, disabling AD accounts, sending mass emails, and adding or removing people from AD groups/shared email inboxes.

I want to bring it up with my boss but he's either constantly MIA or pressed for time because he has a meeting, and he doesn't reply to my emails. I have a project I want to get some feedback on, too, but I literally cannot get an uninterrupted moment of his time.

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 14, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:eng101: “We’d like to put a video wall in the reception area. Here’s what we want it to look like (picture of some million dollar installation at some fancy hotel)

:eng99: “Here are some options from our vendor ranging from $200k to $60k”

:eng101: “What can we do for $10k”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Fool posted:

:eng101: “We’d like to put a video wall in the reception area. Here’s what we want it to look like (picture of some million dollar installation at some fancy hotel)

*slaps a 75" LED screen up and tapes an apple tv to the back of it*

I GOTCHU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It can be a lot cheaper these days going to a digital signage company, yesterday we had NASA asking for something similar. idk what the going rate is for a total setup though, the software bit is super cheap.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Agrikk posted:

loving overtalkers. Goddamn if working remote isn't hard enough without people anticipating your sentence and jumping all over you to answer what they think you are about to ask.

"Can someone please explain to me-" I'M TRYING TO EXPLAIN HOW NETWORKING WORKS. "-when this problem started?"

I love that random lag and pauses in Teams happen all the time and really contribute to this!!!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dragonshardz posted:

I'm getting increasingly frustrated and bored at $job. Over the past month, I've gone from being treated as a part of the team with the somewhat unfortunate luck to be a student assistant (read: paid intern) who is nevertheless competent and knowledgeable to being treated like I'm not qualified to know or do anything more complex than creating AD accounts, disabling AD accounts, sending mass emails, and adding or removing people from AD groups/shared email inboxes.

I want to bring it up with my boss but he's either constantly MIA or pressed for time because he has a meeting, and he doesn't reply to my emails. I have a project I want to get some feedback on, too, but I literally cannot get an uninterrupted moment of his time.

This is no longer pissing me off, because $Boss actually had a bit of time available to give me feedback on the project, then address my concerns about how I feel I'm being treated. He was able to clear up that I'm not being deliberately snubbed, which is good, and I was able to point out that I feel my time is being underutilized.

It's weird to have to ask to be included on projects and point out that I'm willing and able to do research, editing passes on documentation, etc.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

dragonshardz posted:

This is no longer pissing me off, because $Boss actually had a bit of time available to give me feedback on the project, then address my concerns about how I feel I'm being treated. He was able to clear up that I'm not being deliberately snubbed, which is good, and I was able to point out that I feel my time is being underutilized.

It's weird to have to ask to be included on projects and point out that I'm willing and able to do research, editing passes on documentation, etc.

We just had a chat in the Tickets thread about getting started on PowerShell by working with AD

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

silicone thrills posted:

*slaps a 75" LED screen up and tapes an apple tv to the back of it*

I GOTCHU

You could almost grab 4 x 86” LG signage units on the cheap from Displays2Go.com and 🤞 big time that you can daisy chain and work with their SuperSign CMS :lol:

Asked about LED walls and they’re plenty 6 figgies. Usually you pay for labour to install and that can end up cray cray too.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

mllaneza posted:

We just had a chat in the Tickets thread about getting started on PowerShell by working with AD

Yes, however, I totally forgot about that.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The Fool posted:

I had to go through this, they wanted video walls at all sites.

:downs: Why so expensive? Can't you just put a bunch of $500 cheap rear end TVs from Best Buy on the wall and find some freeware and Make It Work?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

less than three posted:

:downs: Why so expensive? Can't you just put a bunch of $500 cheap rear end TVs from Best Buy on the wall and find some freeware and Make It Work?

If it were my last job those TV's would have come from Goodwill.
And the desktop running it would have come from the craigslist free section.
The cables would have been the most expensive part.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We said no, if you're going to do it, do it properly.

It's gone nowhere in a year because of severe bikeshedding about what needs to be in the RFP. :allears:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I love that random lag and pauses in Teams happen all the time and really contribute to this!!!

Microsoft just announced they are going to buy Metaswitch - so hopefully Teams might have a decent voice component eventually

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

less than three posted:

This is becoming more popular, the TVs don’t last long but cheap to replace and you end up with newer models. You can drive 4-6 panels from one PC without much problem and use VLC or whatever to run the video.

Edit for bezels:

More glorious examples here:

https://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/11/20/video-walls-the-right-and-wrong/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 15, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

less than three posted:

This is what we did, find whatever 4k display that is cheapest on Amazon and then throw them up on the wall. We have dozens just rigged up and pretty much do it at will if someone requests they want a dashboard.

The dumb thing is though, we're using Elitedesk minis which are like $600-800 depending on the configuration so it's a huge waste of computing power. I recommended we just throw Folding@Home onto each one so they're not totally useless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or just allow the CPU to throttle down so they run cooler and draw less power

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's been a long while since I've seen a 'maybe I should put folding@home on a work computer' post.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Viewsonic has some quality ultra small bezel displays that do some built in tiling. They're not terribly expensive, but still going to be north of $10k for 4 of any decent size.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Or just allow the CPU to throttle down so they run cooler and draw less power

The minis draw like a 3rd of what the TVs do and 98% are displaying a static image. Not too concerned with power usage.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cage-free egghead posted:

This is what we did, find whatever 4k display that is cheapest on Amazon and then throw them up on the wall. We have dozens just rigged up and pretty much do it at will if someone requests they want a dashboard.

The dumb thing is though, we're using Elitedesk minis which are like $600-800 depending on the configuration so it's a huge waste of computing power. I recommended we just throw Folding@Home onto each one so they're not totally useless.

Our original solution put 4 monitors in a building lobby. Driving them were HP Z240 workstations with P1000 cards with 4 miniDP connectors; 8 gigs RAM, HP's OEM image of Win 7 Pro, and a vendor-installed SEP for antivirus. SEP would constantly flag the custom executable they used to update the content being displayed. Naturally these weren't on the domain and were totally unmanaged. They were on the network for remote content uploads.

And when I said "Z240 workstations", as in plural, I meant per-lobby. Each Z240 was driving one monitor of the four. Each P1000 had one monitor connected, leaving three miniDP, one VGA, and two actual DP ports unused. As a bonus, the monitors were DVI, so they had to use an adapter to connect to miniDP. So that's 4 Z240s with a total of 28 video ports for 4 displays. And since they were running in un-ventilated closets, we'd lose one to a bad fan every 6-9 months.

I hope whoever bought those got a nice kickback, because otherwise they're too stupid to be allowed out without a helmet and a guardian.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Split a powerpoint up into images, stick them on a USB drive and just have the TV play them in a loop.

After a year the USB port on the TV broke.

So I bought this little movie player the size of a deck of cards on Amazon, it had an HDMI port. Even came with a little remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Bob Morales posted:

Split a powerpoint up into images, stick them on a USB drive and just have the TV play them in a loop.

After a year the USB port on the TV broke.

So I bought this little movie player the size of a deck of cards on Amazon, it had an HDMI port. Even came with a little remote.

This is basically what my companys lobby TV is as well. It's hilariously simple and it makes everyone happy.