Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I just got served a Twitter ad telling me GTA5 is free on EGS, so yeah that's confirmed

Someone must have pressed the button too early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Liberty and Vice City Stories were free at some point too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

webmeister posted:

Side note, how the gently caress is GTAV seven years old :psyduck:

Someone in the chat thread yesterday pointed out that Kameo: Elements of Power and GTA5 came out on the same console.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How much of a dress up simulator is GTAV? Or a car paint job simulator? Wondering if the huge install size is worth it to mess around in increasingly quirky load outs.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
What are the odds they'd just release GTA Online as a free standalone game?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A good poster posted:

If they were going to do that they'd have done it by now I figure, might as well get that initial buy-in money.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

A good poster posted:

Why bother now? They are giving away GTA Online bundled with the single player game here free. The complete deal. So why later on make GTA Online free, without the single player portion. I think for most people, the single player part gets you hooked and makes you play the online part. So it's more profitable to pack the solo part in with the multi, just to increase engagement.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

I just got served a Twitter ad telling me GTA5 is free on EGS, so yeah that's confirmed

Someone must have pressed the button too early

Wait. GTA5 is going free on epic game store? It’s not even on there

Unless you mean something different by EGS

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. GTA5 is going free on epic game store? It’s not even on there

Unless you mean something different by EGS

EGS giveaways are nearly always games that weren't on EGS prior to the giveaway

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Will it be possible to import a save game for gta v? I beat it when it first came out on console and I have no desire to do so again but for free I’ll gladly play around in the post game a bit

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait. GTA5 is going free on epic game store?

In 23 minutes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

Will it be possible to import a save game for gta v? I beat it when it first came out on console and I have no desire to do so again but for free I’ll gladly play around in the post game a bit

Nope, there was a period where you could transfer 360/PS3 saves to XB1/PS4/PC but that's no longer available and you could never move saves between XB1/PS4/PC.

You could just download someone elses 100% save if you just want a sandbox with everything unlocked though: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/100-save-game

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

repiv posted:

Nope, there was a period where you could transfer 360/PS3 saves to XB1/PS4/PC but that's no longer available and you could never move saves between XB1/PS4/PC.

You could just download someone elses 100% save if you just want a sandbox with everything unlocked though: https://www.gta5-mods.com/misc/100-save-game

Yea that’s what I mean. That’s good to know

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Bottom Liner posted:

In 23 minutes

Goddamn, so it's confirmed?

Welp. Here I go then. How big is the install? Are EGS download speeds trash?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

Goddamn, so it's confirmed?

Welp. Here I go then. How big is the install? Are EGS download speeds trash?

82 gigs on steam, and they're fine.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Requirements on Steam for GTA V say "72 GB available space".

The site is already getting hammered it seems. I just got an error message and when I refreshed it was the same error but now in Chinese :tinfoil:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
lol this took down EGS

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My EGS launcher first came up as Spanish which fixed with a restart.
Now their page comes up as Thai.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mierenneuker posted:

Requirements on Steam for GTA V say "72 GB available space".

The site is already getting hammered it seems. I just got an error message and when I refreshed it was the same error but now in Chinese :tinfoil:

I forgot which release it was that would just restart the store every time with a different language, went through French, Spanish, German, until I gave up and waited

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

lol this took down EGS

I was wondering what was going on!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fuzz posted:

Liberty and Vice City Stories were free at some point too.

I always wanted to play these but I've never owned a Sony console and they were exclusive, and the PSP emulator I found never worked well.

Artelier posted:

How much of a dress up simulator is GTAV? Or a car paint job simulator? Wondering if the huge install size is worth it to mess around in increasingly quirky load outs.

You can do all those things but the single player doesn't have all the cool cars they added to the online. And rockstar hosed the prices of things online after cheaters started dropping money on the last gen consoles. I think there are mods or trainers that let you get the online only cars in single player.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah their store is all jacked up. It let me in after a 500 error and then came back up in a different language.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah EGS is down right now. RIP EGS, thought of GTAV and died

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah EGS is down right now. RIP EGS, thought of GTAV and died

Lmbo

Is GTA5 only free today?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Lmbo

Is GTA5 only free today?

As long as it's like the other giveaways then it'll be free until 11AM EST next Thursday.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah give it a bit for people to quit hammering the server and you'll get your copy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

lol i can't even access my library to play games i already have installed because their whole client is tied to the store

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Bottom Liner posted:

lol i can't even access my library to play games i already have installed because their whole client is tied to the store

Find the exe and run it that way, just tested it and it works. Client isn't required.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Amazing that after nearly 7 years GTAV is still so popular that demand for it takes down their website :psyduck:.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's the online premium version, so chances are everyone who already owns it is claiming it to get the free GTA Online money. I remember someone saying a while back that's why it sells so well, because buying the game over again when it's on sale is a better way of getting GTAO money than buying Shark cards.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Plus multiple backup accounts for modders or people that do things to get banned

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Bottom Liner posted:

Looks like you can still launch games directly from GOG Galaxy for what it's worth. Probably launch them manually too.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

njsykora posted:

It's the online premium version, so chances are everyone who already owns it is claiming it to get the free GTA Online money. I remember someone saying a while back that's why it sells so well, because buying the game over again when it's on sale is a better way of getting GTAO money than buying Shark cards.

This is a special kind of brain worms

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

owl_pellet posted:

no, it's a special kind of scummy p2w and greed business model. GTAO could be the greatest thing in online gaming but the monetization is so gross.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

MZ posted:

Amazing that after nearly 7 years GTAV is still so popular that demand for it takes down their website :psyduck:.

GTAV was still one of the best selling games of the year as far as 2019, it is pretty wild.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

owl_pellet posted:

Wait til I tell you about the surprisngly large group of people that buy new copies of Overwatch literally constantly just so they can stomp noobs for a short time before the game realizes that they are good.

edit: Someone here is going to defend this behavior.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 14, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wait til I tell you about the surprisngly large group of people that buy new copies of Overwatch literally constantly just so they can stomp noobs for a short time before the game realizes that they are good.

For real, smurf accounts in most online games are kinda sad, but Overwatch smurf accounts are something else when you remember they had to buy the game again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

owl_pellet posted:

The thread for spending hours of your life tracking and pouncing on game giveaways to avoid having to pay for things is utterly baffled by the concept of people spending money on a game they enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Actually I use this thread specifically so I DON'T have to track game giveaways. You nerds do it for me and post it in the thread.