Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ought ten posted:

I sold my C10 a few years ago. Big feelings right now seeing that picture. Why’d you sell?
My fat rear end is not nearly fat enough to ride five bikes at once. And the carbureted one suffers the most from sitting about.

I'm down to 2 bikes now, from 5. This is a path to recovery. Strangely enough, sold 2 of them during quarantine. While everyone around is bitching about not being able to sell anything.

But I'll miss c10 the most. What an amazing machine. Hopefully the new owners will put it to good use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nitrox posted:

My fat rear end is not nearly fat enough to ride five bikes at once. And the carbureted one suffers the most from sitting about.

I'm down to 2 bikes now, from 5. This is a path to recovery. Strangely enough, sold 2 of them during quarantine. While everyone around is bitching about not being able to sell anything.

But I'll miss c10 the most. What an amazing machine. Hopefully the new owners will put it to good use

Out of curiosity, how much did you sell it for? The dad in me has a fascination with Connies.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did you sell it for? The dad in me has a fascination with Connies.
$2200 final price
Broke even after 2 years of ownership. A free bike essentially, minus labor. There are plenty of c10's listed around $1500-3000 mark, and you can get a pristine one at the top of the scale. But C14's are dropping into miss $4k's, albeit the most abused and unwanted ones, non-abs models.

From what I've gathered, you want a 08-14 ABS, but not stability/traction control, because that system is not refined at all. Chip and exhaust can get you to 145-ish wheel horsepower, see here
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400

The worst thing about c10 are the carbs and lack of safety features. It overpowers tires on braking AND acceleration.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nitrox posted:

The worst thing about c10 are the carbs and lack of safety features. It overpowers tires on braking AND acceleration.
Yup. I sold mine when I had to move but those were the biggest downsides. It started feeling pretty dumb riding without ABS.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety-guru motorcyclists:
"going faster/applying power shouldn't be your go-to response to a bad situation. Learn to plan ahead"

Indian motorcyclists:
https://i.imgur.com/SXIFU2H.gifv

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Literally the only time I will concede that having more power on tap is probably safer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

First of all, gently caress that. Second, was the tiger following him long enough that he was able to film it at the right time? Shouldn't he have been tucking for speed?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

First of all, gently caress that. Second, was the tiger following him long enough that he was able to film it at the right time? Shouldn't he have been tucking for speed?

I think it's the passenger filming. Probably they were like "hey let's ride down Tiger Alley. You ride the bike, and I'll film on my mobile, and DO NOT STOP FOR ANY REASON. It'll be super awesome!"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If that tiger tops out at ~70km/h like google tells me and they're riding the usual <200cc subcontinental shitbike at flip-flop speeds, those dudes just got pretty loving lucky I reckon.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Who was it here that got a Himalayan that immediately self-destructed?
Some girl has been riding around the world on one, no major issues I believe although she said all wear items like the chain, brakes, etc. are poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Dpwc1y3ZU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/honda_history/status/1259801905472999426

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MB50’s are rad and one of the exceedingly rare times the US got a small displacement two stroke that wasn’t a scooter. And from Honda no less!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
When I look at that mb50 all I can see is what it's Craigslist listing appearance would be in some "I see dead people" way. Faded plastic, ripped faded seat, rusted out exhaust, cobwebs....

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Coydog posted:

When I look at that mb50 all I can see is what it's Craigslist listing appearance would be in some "I see dead people" way. Faded plastic, ripped faded seat, rusted out exhaust, cobwebs....

And if it's in Southern Ontario, a $3000 price tag.

NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I HAVE

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Genuine barn find (the mouse corpses add value)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

When I look at an mb50 all I can see is the sweet sweet six speed gearbox upgrade for my mb100.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Back in my moped days (can't get a car license until 18 here, didn't need a license for mopeds back in the day and you could ride them as soon as you turned 15) all the cool kids had either Honda MT5s or Yamaha DT50s, the slightly less cool kids had MB5s or FS1s, and the dorks had whatever else.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
6500 rpm? Shamefully low rpm. Sad!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
MB5 front end swaps onto an xr100 frame if you want a disc brake

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Genuine barn find (the mouse corpses add value)

I am extremely triggered

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gZo54nL8G/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Turnchat in another thread made me look up parking look maneuvers on YouTube and I came across this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgxAp9LSnc

I can definitely do that in my dreams

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Martytoof posted:

Turnchat in another thread made me look up parking look maneuvers on YouTube and I came across this stuff

The diversity of bikes used in Japanese gymkhana is a really good indication that it's almost 100% the rider and not the bike.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It’s striking how little body movement. Like, almost none. I do a lot of leaning and counterweighting in low speed maneuvers and it goes without saying that these guys are way better riders than me.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

This is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snxDYS9tDPc

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
If you look at most of those gymkhana bikes, there's drat near a pizza pie plate sized rear sprocket on em to help with low end power.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's the 40th anniversary of St Helens blowing up, which is how I happened to see this for the first time:

It's a great picture and all, but my attention is mostly drawn to the moto hitch. I've never seen one like it, are they still a thing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's the 40th anniversary of St Helens blowing up, which is how I happened to see this for the first time:

It's a great picture and all, but my attention is mostly drawn to the moto hitch. I've never seen one like it, are they still a thing?

I've definitely seen them on the back of motor homes - I've no idea of the legality or dangers of them though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd imagine they also arent great for the bike. Coasting for hundreds of miles in neutral with the oil pushed to the back of the cases and only half of the rotating mass actually rotating and splashing oil around just feels like it wouldnt work out well

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just unclip the chain

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, yeah, I suppose you could, didnt even think of that.

Then its probably not too bad and now I want one!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean if you're dragging a dirt bike knobby down the freeway at 75 miles an hour for hundreds of miles you're not going to have much of a tire left at the end. But it's a cool idea anyway

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Federal max speed limit was 55mph back then, down to a federal mandate to have the "55" on your speedometer highlighted. You wouldn't want to go 75mph on 1980 rubber anyway.

I read something about those hitches a few months ago but can't find it yet. Instead enjoy this writeup of the story behind that photo, he rode the bike out of the forest after the Pinto choked out and died: https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/07/26/the-story-behind-that-photo-of-the-pinto-in-front-of-the-mt-st-helens-eruption

quote:

He made his way back down the mountain after being quickly overtaken by the ash cloud. He was completely blinded, and had to drive on the opposite side of the road steering by staying right on the opposite side of the road heading into oncoming traffic, but encountered nobody going up. The car choked out after a while and he rode his bent motorcycle out of the mountains back to the room he had rented.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait, I thought the person who took that picture pretty much died on the spot. Always made me sad.

If the story is instead, rode his trusty motorcycle out of the inferno after the car stranded him, making it safely back home, that's :krad:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

Wait, I thought the person who took that picture pretty much died on the spot. Always made me sad.

If the story is instead, rode his trusty motorcycle out of the inferno after the car stranded him, making it safely back home, that's :krad:

The version I found had him going back the next day to take more pictures and ending up in jail after getting picked up by a helicopter.

...although the journo had at least enough integrity to admit that this was basically a bar story they heard second hand as they were unable to contact the guy himself. Seems like he might have died in 2018?l

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There was a different photographer, referenced in that first guy's story, that was caught in an ash cloud and realized he'd never make it out so he carefully rewound the film and laid on top of his camera so the photos would survive. Sad :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i was too busy drooling over the fastback i didnt even notice dante's loving inferno in the background there lmao

the True Enduro-- hot lava ash raining hellfire from the skies

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I mean if you're dragging a dirt bike knobby down the freeway at 75 miles an hour for hundreds of miles you're not going to have much of a tire left at the end. But it's a cool idea anyway

Thinking about it, to be legal, you'd need to have one of those boards with repeater brake lights and indicators dangling off the back, but now I'm thinking about making one that can carry two bikes with a special harness that uses the bikes lights. Mind you it's all fun and games until you go through a speed camera and get three tickets.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This thread sent me down a real motorcycle trailer rabbit hole.

Now I'm eying ways to justify buying a Harbor Freight Mini Trailer so I can pull my RV90 with the goldwing to the Cheese Country Trail and ride there. My problem is that being in MKE, all the good riding trails are hours away. The RV90 can make it, but its limited to 45mph, so it would take a while just to get there before I could even start riding.

Towing with the Goldwing seems like the perfect solution :thunk:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Lyndon Poskitt id bored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ee_7I6EvWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I couldn't even get back on the bike the way he does when he parks the rear on the oil drum then hops off