Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cowofwar posted:

Crazy how my 9 year old MBP made in 2011 is still great but a 9 year old laptop made in 2002 would be absolute garbage by 2011.

Although I had some crashing problems the other day because chrome was sitting on 16gigs of ram :wtc:

A laptop made in 1992 and used in 2001 would be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

imagine going from 1982 to 1991 tho

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

A laptop made in 1992 and used in 2001 would be even worse.
I actually have a powerbook 100 from 1992 and yeah that thing was a calculator within a couple years nevermind 2001.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Weedle posted:

imagine going from 1982 to 1991 tho

The irony here is that computers in the 80s were so pricey and specialized and niche that they often had way better support, for longer, than computers in the 90s and 00s did.

Like companies were still releasing tons of software for poo poo like the Apple II and Commodore Vic20 like a decade after they came out, alongside versions for much newer machines.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Um, you guys posting ITT about your rMBP 15 inchers know about the whole free battery replacements for them due to explodey risk, thing, right?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Um, you guys posting ITT about your rMBP 15 inchers know about the whole free battery replacements for them due to explodey risk, thing, right?

Not all of them/every model year qualifies

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I haven't bought a new monitor since 2010.

What monitors are we recommending for use with our fancy new MacBook pros these days?

Is there any easy switch mechanism between using our laptop and then using the monitor for our PC?

Also: Thanks MarcusSA - I grabbed WALTR 2 (epic oh my god I needed this to get me from iTunes hell) and iStat menus!

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 14, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

What monitors are we recommending for use with our fancy new MacBook pros these days?

Is there any easy switch mechanism between using our laptop and then using the monitor for our PC?

XDR baby.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

cowofwar posted:

Crazy how my 9 year old MBP made in 2011 is still great but a laptop made in 2002 would be absolute garbage by 2011.

Although I had some crashing problems the other day because chrome was sitting on 16gigs of ram :wtc:

Now imagine a computer made in 2020 in 2030.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Captain Apollo posted:

Anything on this page: :getin:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/mac/mac-accessories/displays-mounts

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Wrong this is from the dark grimness of the future.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Captain Apollo posted:

Also: Thanks MarcusSA - I grabbed WALTR 2 (epic oh my god I needed this to get me from iTunes hell) and iStat menus!

2 of the 21.5" Ultrafine 4ks

You can get them refurb or on eBay/local for around $300 if you keep an eye on it. 21" @ 4k is the perfect dpi for scaling macOS.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Is replacing the power supply on an iMac a reasonable repair job to do at home? The iFixIt guide doesn't look that bad (and the part isn't that expensive): https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Power+Supply+Replacement/30530

Whether it's reasonable depends on your skill at not breaking things. It is very easy to break things when opening 27" iMacs.

It looks easier in the guide than it actually is, mostly because of how heavy the display is. Makes it quite difficult to disconnect or reconnect the very delicate display power and data connectors, since you have to do that while securely holding on to a very heavy and delicate piece of glass with one hand.

I did it to upgrade the storage in a 2019, which is quite similar in construction, and I don't want to open that thing up again if I can avoid it. It's not fun.

If you decide to go ahead with it, make sure to order all the specialty tools. This means:

1. a pizza wheel cutter tool with some extra discs
2. at least one kit of replacement double sticky foam tape
3. a "service wedge"
4. Wide residue-free tape of some kind, I prefer kapton but painter's tape also works

You might not think you need all of these, but you really do. Pay special attention to this guide for instructions about how to use the wide tape to make a temporary hinge during reassembly and test.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Adhesive+Strip+Replacement/30512

quote:

I could also do some of the dust removal and thermal paste reapplication while I have it open for that repair, right?

Yes, and if your iMac is not already on all-SSD internal storage before you open it up, it should be afterwards. Just get a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket and replace the spinning rust with a nice 1TB or larger SATA SSD.

(I didn't have to add a thermal sensor cable on my 2019 to avoid having the fans race. That might be necessary on a 2014, it's not clear to me exactly when Apple stopped caring about that.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

2 of the 21.5" Ultrafine 4ks

This

or if you're rich the 5k

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LG 27UL850-W looks great and has USB-C. Pretty much every non-budget monitor is good in some way these days. I like 4k at 27+ but I get why people want higher DPI.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s ironic I work in the film industry and we spend probably the most money per final pixel and high PPI is really bad for workflow because we need to see the pixel level artifacts and not have it hidden on a high PPI display.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Captain Apollo posted:

Depends on what you're looking for and how much you want to spend, but a couple good options from HP:

The HP Z24n G2 is a beautiful color accurate 24" display with a very thin bezel and USB-C for $300. It isn't 4K, but 1920×1200 works very nicely for a 24" monitor imo and I don't feel like the price premium is worthwhile for a marginal resolution increase at that size. Dell has a 4K 24" display, but it's $450 without USB-C and a large bezel. The stand lets you tilt, rotate, and swivel the monitor however you want and it feels like a solid product.

The HP Z27 is a very similar to the above monitor except it's a 27" 4K fairly color accurate display for $540. It has a USB-C 65W PD port, which means you can output to your Macbook Pro and charge it solidly at the same time! Really cool. The bezel is very thin and the stand is also really, really nice and lets you adjust the monitor in almost any way you can think of, which is especially useful for a large 27".

The Dell U3219Q is a high-end highly color accurate 32" 4K monitor with every feature under the sun for $800, including a 90W USB-C PD port for charging even the 16" Macbook Pro at full wattage. There's a KVM for up to two computers that offers picture-in-picture. The bezel is tiny so it feels even larger than 32" sometimes. The contrast ratio is incredible and one of the best of any monitor on the market, I hear. The stand is equally nice as the HP Z27 too.

There's so many other great monitors out there these days. You can't really go wrong as long as you don't get some budget TN crap, though I highly recommend a thin bezel monitor with USB-C and an IPS panel.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 14, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i have a 32" and a 27", both 4K, at separate offices, and i unequivocally prefer the 32. this is for office work, mind you, but its definitely better.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Crazy how my 9 year old MBP made in 2011 is still great but a laptop made in 2002 would be absolute garbage by 2011.

Firefox supremacy

My 2012 is also going strong, just put 16 gigs of ram in, SSD upgrade from 2016 still going strong. Getting more use than ever now that I’m home all the time and with the extra ram logic runs great.

I’ve gone through 5 iPhones in the time that I’ve had that laptop.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Firefox is way lower RAM usage but if you've got a dual core or a low clocked chip I find that it's spikes can cause weird lags and delays. Safari seems more performant but doesn't have all the features you love. YMMV

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

well why not posted:

Firefox is way lower RAM usage but if you've got a dual core or a low clocked chip I find that it's spikes can cause weird lags and delays. Safari seems more performant but doesn't have all the features you love. YMMV

I wouldn't have to use Firefox if Apple hadn't removed the ability to use Tampermonkey... :mad:

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone make a USB-C dongle with both an Ethernet port and a VGA port on it? And yes I appreciate the weirdness of buying a thunderbolt equipped laptop to step down to a 1990’s standard, but we are where we are.

HDMI and USB 2.0 included would also be great.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

I wouldn't have to use Firefox if Apple hadn't removed the ability to use Tampermonkey... :mad:

I'm using Tampermonkey right now. Latest Safari. Latest macOS.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 14, 2020

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone make a USB-C dongle with both an Ethernet port and a VGA port on it? And yes I appreciate the weirdness of buying a thunderbolt equipped laptop to step down to a 1990’s standard, but we are where we are.

The Dell DA300 will satisfy these requirements for around $70 on eBay

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Just rendered a few minutes long 4K video on the 13" 2020 Pro (base model) and the fans didn't kick on at all for the entire process.

For reference, did the same thing on my previous Air and the fans immediately went wild upon starting it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

well why not posted:

I used to use Chrome my late 2013 15" MBP, but resource usage was total garbage and the fans would randomly speed up when I was watching Youtube or had 7 tabs open sometimes. I switched to Safari a few years back since it's gradually caught up in features and usability with other browsers and it's been more than fine. Safari's extension situation is still pretty bad, but I can make it work for like 2 hours longer battery life and not feeling my laptop is imploding half the time vs Chrome.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 14, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i have a 32" and a 27", both 4K, at separate offices, and i unequivocally prefer the 32. this is for office work, mind you, but its definitely better.

What res/scaling are you using in those and how far away do you sit?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

BobHoward posted:

Whether it's reasonable depends on your skill at not breaking things. It is very easy to break things when opening 27" iMacs.

It looks easier in the guide than it actually is, mostly because of how heavy the display is. Makes it quite difficult to disconnect or reconnect the very delicate display power and data connectors, since you have to do that while securely holding on to a very heavy and delicate piece of glass with one hand.

I did it to upgrade the storage in a 2019, which is quite similar in construction, and I don't want to open that thing up again if I can avoid it. It's not fun.

If you decide to go ahead with it, make sure to order all the specialty tools. This means:

1. a pizza wheel cutter tool with some extra discs
2. at least one kit of replacement double sticky foam tape
3. a "service wedge"
4. Wide residue-free tape of some kind, I prefer kapton but painter's tape also works

You might not think you need all of these, but you really do. Pay special attention to this guide for instructions about how to use the wide tape to make a temporary hinge during reassembly and test.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Adhesive+Strip+Replacement/30512

Yes, and if your iMac is not already on all-SSD internal storage before you open it up, it should be afterwards. Just get a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket and replace the spinning rust with a nice 1TB or larger SATA SSD.

(I didn't have to add a thermal sensor cable on my 2019 to avoid having the fans race. That might be necessary on a 2014, it's not clear to me exactly when Apple stopped caring about that.)

An excellent primer to upgrading storage on your post-2013 iMac.

Painter's tape is just fine, it's about the same price and easier to get (like at Lowe's or Home Depot) if you don't like ordering online all the time.

That service wedge is super important as it keeps the screen from bouncing around while you're doing the Mission Impossible task of removing the video cable and a super, super delicate ribbon cable from the logic board while holding up a relatively heavy LCD display.

Apple themselves warns official service techs that the delicate cable can only be detached/reinserted a certain number of times before it gets ruined. If memory serves, this ribbon is of course integrated into the LCD display (the LVD cable isn't..) so ruining it means ordering a whole new LCD module.

In my experience Apple quietly got rid of the thermal sensor requirement on the SATA drives around 2017; that's the earliest model I've been able to upgrade without getting an OEM Apple drive.

However, 2015's introduced PCIe 3.0 x 4 channels on the SSD slot, which is ridiculously faster than the SATA, so IMHO it only pays to upgrade the SATA drive if you needed a bigger amount of onboard storage for Time Machine or some other task. Although throughput on a Thunderbolt port to an external drive will run rings around the internal SATA if you have a good dock/drive enclosure.

The flip side to upgrading the SSD is that you 1) have to buy a special adapter to let you use off the shelf NVMe SSD blades and 2) you have to spend another longish amount of time disconnecting the logic board so you can remove it and flip it over so you can actually GET to the SSD socket. Perhaps someday they'll put the SSD socket on the back, but knowing how Apple really doesn't want you to self service your iMac, I guess not.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 14, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

What res/scaling are you using in those and how far away do you sit?
Both are 4k. "Looks like 1920x1080" scaling. I sit....about two feet away, I think?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Sri.Theo posted:

In my experience, VGA has been the standard for the 90’s, 00’s, 10’s, and probably will still be for the 20’s. Every classroom I’ve been in or taught in, every conference room old, new, or recently upgraded has had VGA. Recently you might get lucky and there is also HDMI support, but there is always VGA.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

In my experience, VGA has been the standard for the 90’s, 00’s, 10’s, and probably will still be for the 20’s. Every classroom I’ve been in or taught in, every conference room old, new, or recently upgraded has had VGA. Recently you might get lucky and there is also HDMI support, but there is always VGA.

HDMI isn’t quite as hard wearing as vga. It’s designed to be pretty solidly connected without thumbscrews which can make it rough to plug/unplug constantly.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Godzilla07 posted:

The Dell DA300 will satisfy these requirements for around $70 on eBay

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Pulcinella posted:

And yeah basically this, sometimes I’m in internal meeting rooms etc that work fine and nobody will ever upgrade unless they break.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I appreciate the monitor chat as the monitor thread seems to be mainly gaming focused.

I have a CalDigit TS3 so USBC is not a big deal for me.

I currently have a Dell U2312HM and it's ok but I'd like to bump up to something bigger. Anyone have any non usb recommendations since I already have the dock? Even something I can set a price watch on is fine as I really shouldn't be spending the money right now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Speaking of iStats Menu its on sale along with a bunch of other stuff.

https://bundlehunt.com/?ap_id=ap_id

iStat Menus
$6 (was $11.99)
Monitor your system right from the menubar with huge range of stats, including a CPU monitor, GPU, memory, network usage, disk usage, disk activity, date & time, battery and more.

PopChar X
$8 (was $33)
PopChar helps you get the most out of your font collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.

A Better Finder Rename
$11.5 (was $22.95)
A Better Finder Rename is the most complete renaming solution available on the market today.

Flux 7.0
$7 (was $99.99)
Flux is an incredible Web Design Environment. Work in code and drag & drop. No compromises.

WALTR 2 for Mac
$5 (was $39.95)
A Magic drop area for your Apple device any Music, Ringtones, Videos, PDF & ePUB files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod without iTunes.

Thanks for this, I ended up buying WALTR. Can't believe how much better this is than using iTunes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gonna return the i5 Air I got last week and get the base Macbook Pro for the wife.

Her school needs are 95% suited by the Air but that 5% is playing The Sims and while on paper the Air has a better GPU it doesn't run nearly as good as it should.

I ordered one from Costco on Wednesday night for the 90 day return and 4 year warranty. It was a "preorder" with an estimated ship date of 5/25 but apparently it's showing up today instead :stare:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Just picked up Waltr 2 and this is so much better than janky rear end Music app and iTunes for syncing music to my iPhone. Heck yeah.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, I opened up my 2015 rMBP, pulled the heat sink, and applied a brand new coating of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, making sure I used the spreader and thinly spread the compound on both the CPU -and- the GPU core.

Used only two small drops and pre-spread before bolting the heat sink back on. Also, blew out some debris lodged in the heat vanes that the fan directly blows on.

Result: Zoom no longer brings the fans to audible levels of use. Seems to be running 5-6 degrees cooler than previous application of Arctic MX-4.

Also, I could swear I was also frugal with the MX-4 application, but it wound up blossoming past the confines of the CPU die, so had to do a bit of cleaning with the 99.9% Isopropyl wipes. Probably messed up the cooling just enough to cause the fan overdrive along with the debris (cat hair) in the heating vanes. Also its worth it to clean out your bottom case, since a layer of dust will only interfere with its ability to function as a heat transfer to the outside.

BTW, NEVER use 70% alcohol wipes on your CPU, that 30% water is enough to do a number on whatever component you're trying to cool down. I've seen a lot of people trying to do their own repasting who bring it to me and say 'why logic board no work now' and I just ask them what they used to clean it.

TG Pro, the fan app I bought, also noted to me that the rMBP 2015 has a feature I didn't know about : it informed me at certain temperatures that the fan state was 'hardware turned fan off.' I guess that's a power saving feature that only seems to be in 2015+ rMBPs SMC controllers, because I have TG Pro running on some 2013 / 2014 rMBPs and I never see the fans set to that mode.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Gonna return the i5 Air I got last week and get the base Macbook Pro for the wife.

Her school needs are 95% suited by the Air but that 5% is playing The Sims and while on paper the Air has a better GPU it doesn't run nearly as good as it should.

I ordered one from Costco on Wednesday night for the 90 day return and 4 year warranty. It was a "preorder" with an estimated ship date of 5/25 but apparently it's showing up today instead :stare:

You’re gonna be trading that in for an $1800 model, mark my words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

I'd just keep the Air and pay for one of the game streaming services.

Ok Comboomer posted:

You’re gonna be trading that in for an $1800 model, mark my words

Last time I checked reviews even the new Ice Lake iGPU barely seems to break double digit FPS in the old unigine benchmark, most of the optimizations appear to be focused on compute (like video rendering and geekbench synthetics). Happy to stand corrected if anybody can find a good review.

eames fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 14, 2020