Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Everything has to work like a light switch. It's either on or off. It either works 100% or 0%. No middle.

Quite frankly, that's true with a lot of politics and it's why the "flatten the curve " slogan was a loving disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

shovelbum posted:

things wont "all go to hell", it mostly kills or severely sickens people old enough that no one gives a gently caress, if they triage covid straight to "go home and die" nothing will be overwhelmed and this will be a shameful and obscure epidemic like TB in prisons`

Except it’s still a virus we still don’t know a ton about.

See the ever increasing number of kids developing kawasaki syndrome.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lmao at america's black and white, all or none thinking

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

shovelbum posted:

people who get into tools for the sake of the tool and not for its suitability for the task get way too hung up on the care and cleaning though. like it becomes a totem like cleaning your gun in the military where it has no bearing in fact. tho ofc the maintenance is real to an extent, it's more like "more than none" and not YOU WASHED MY CAST IRON PAN?!?!?!!?!

well yeah, I have cast iron as well. it's funny though to watch part of it. "hand wash and oil" is more like "don't put in the drat dishwasher and once a year oil it" Just as maintain leather is "don't get salt water on it and oil the drat thing once a year"

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Willias posted:

Except it’s still a virus we still don’t know a ton about.

See the ever increasing number of kids developing kawasaki syndrome.

the "weird" symptoms like kawasaki or stroke without cough or fever in young people are tragic but we know from foreign outbreaks that they're not ubiquitous and are in fact just weird artifacts of how many people we have getting sick, like there's not going to be some thing where everyone dies in a month or w/e or we would've seen it by now

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

MysteriousStranger posted:

well yeah, I have cast iron as well. it's funny though to watch part of it. "hand wash and oil" is more like "don't put in the drat dishwasher and once a year oil it" Just as maintain leather is "don't get salt water on it and oil the drat thing once a year"

it is cruel that so many of the american cities with a dress shoe/suit culture are covered in salty brine 9mo/yr

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Quite frankly, that's true with a lot of politics and it's why the "flatten the curve " slogan was a loving disaster

"Break the chain of transmission" is the only slogan that works and makes sense

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

[BIG RED SHARPIE]

this character isn’t believable someone take this back to the writing crew

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Atrocious Joe posted:

at the start of this, the average american thought oh its just the flu, the drat china virus, now the average american thinks germs arent real and if someone gets sick it was just their time/they were a bad person

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lol you can spook the markets like a horse

*Adds funny horse post about horses killing themselves*

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

As a computer toucher let me tell you, this is not a generational thing. Yes, boomers might know less on how to operate the machines, but zoomers are no better in fixing the things when they break.

Its amazing how generation after generation people get more used to technology faster but the drive to learn how to fix something (be it hardware of software) remains relatively constant.

non-productivity moments are manna in the desert. you better loving believe I need to put you on hold and go restart this thing.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Like 10% of the USA believes that vaccines are a plot to give their kids autism and about 30% seem to think that corona is a hoax to embarrass trump. This country is so lovely it's not salvageable, and that's without even considering how many americans' morality is exclusively might makes right. Just a loving festering septic tank of a country.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

mastershakeman posted:

The plus side is that with an r0 that's probably going to be above 6 for people who are intentionally making political points, they should all get it within a month and locked down states (Illinois) can open up a month after since it will have gone through 100% of sconnies, Hoosiers, Missourians, michiganders and Iowans by then

michigan is closed until may 28th at the earliest, and whitmer has been saying "more protests = more lockdown" so we'll see

I'm more worried about stupid chud-rear end cheeseheads coming to the UP in violation of our orders at this point than anything

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
imo we should just all get the virus but also have limited immunity so we can then all get the virus again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

shovelbum posted:

it is cruel that so many of the american cities with a dress shoe/suit culture are covered in salty brine 9mo/yr

I wear sneakers to work and keep my nice shoes under my desk

someone has probably stolen them by now

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

shovelbum posted:

at the start of this, the average american thought oh its just the flu, the drat china virus, now the average american thinks germs arent real and if someone gets sick it was just their time/they were a bad person

some americans thank that but the average american does not

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

are you trying to tell me a libertarian doesnt understand social sciences?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

As a computer toucher let me tell you, this is not a generational thing. Yes, boomers might know less on how to operate the machines, but zoomers are no better in fixing the things when they break.

Its amazing how generation after generation people get more used to technology faster but the drive to learn how to fix something (be it hardware of software) remains relatively constant.

If you grew up using computers heavily in the 70's-90's, you had to put up with and figure out a lot of bullshit just to get things running regularly.

Nowadays things generally just work on the basic consumer level or you throw it in the garage and buy something new.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

shovelbum posted:

It snows from October to may here and you gotta walk to the train then walk to work from the train so yeah it sucks

Atrocious Joe posted:

Yeah this is good

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

They'll do that and then somehow end up with a bunch of browser toolbars and spyware
They're loving idiots
they will just send you their passwords and social security number

for real, youre gonna see bonzai buddy within a minute of one of them trying to figure out how to play an mp4 file

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

It snows from October to may here and you gotta walk to the train then walk to work from the train so yeah it sucks

https://www.tingleyrubber.com/collections/over-the-shoe

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

shovelbum posted:

Jesus said have faith not fear! Churches are closed but you can still get an abortion it's all a liberal plot to harm Christians, THANK YOU LORD JESUS FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP!!!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

How about instead of wearing a shoe that falls apart when it interacts with a normal environment and a shoe that doesn't I just wear one that doesn't

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

uhhhh maybe because they are loving IDIOTS????

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

shovelbum posted:

remember when America was cool, for a brief time in the 80’s

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mastershakeman posted:

How about instead of wearing a shoe that falls apart when it interacts with a normal environment and a shoe that doesn't I just wear one that doesn't

this is why i exclusively wear steel toed crocs

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The funny thing is that mega corps probably do have this information on individual shoppers for marketing/store layout/etc purposes. But it's not a "business owner" and they're not going to make health decisions

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mastershakeman posted:

I bought nice shoes one time only and immediately ruined them because I had to walk a long way in the snow which had salt in it and didn't know that expensive shoes, unlike my hiking boots, required daily maintenance of another pair of shoes on top of them

So I gave up and just wore hiking boots with my suit instead. Still mad at the money I wasted
the real reason rich people's shoes last forever is because they own 50 different pairs of shoes so each pair gets scarcely worn and also they don't do anything that would ruin their shoes. nice shoes hold together better but the materials will still wear down from normal poo poo.

i wish mythbusters did an episode on this

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol who in the gently caress is this rep talking to Dr. Bright right now

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How to win a eleckshyun, by your friend Zberan Madowinty:

1) Play this clip over and over. Perhaps festoon it with Trump doing dumb poo poo (this is left as an exercise to the reader, but not a hard one)

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1260962024240144384

I know the DNC has to run it through some focus groups and bring in a couple lanyard boys, but try to rush this one guys? You know, maybe you can conclude your studies before November on if a major health professional saying "We're in deep poo poo" about the worst crisis America has faced in 40 years is effective or not?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mastershakeman posted:

also love my crocs

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

brugroffil posted:

The funny thing is that mega corps probably do have this information on individual shoppers for marketing/store layout/etc purposes. But it's not a "business owner" and they're not going to make health decisions

theyve had that information for decades, amash is such a purestrain libertarian that he refuses to accept that any market force could be anything but benign.

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The deadliest war in American history (the Civil War) saw 360,000 Americans die. I wonder if we can top that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:chloe:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Zberan Madowinty posted:

The deadliest war in American history (the Civil War) saw 360,000 Americans die. I wonder if we can top that.

we'll be there by august

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

its not a normal environment unless you can ignore the externalities of brine de-icing, which is only used on the east coast/rustbelt. i worked in high desert oregon one winter and there was snow everywhere and guess what, they put sand down on the main roads and otherwise you just used your winter tires on snowpack and it was fine, the heavy icing is a function of letting everything melt and refreeze unnaturally at sub-freezing temps by introducing salt

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
like salting roads works in a really narrow temp range and fucks everything up but presumably bc they do it in NYC we all copy it like morons

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Zberan Madowinty posted:

by an order of magnitude, easily

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Sir Tonk posted:

theyve had that information for decades, amash is such a purestrain libertarian that he refuses to accept that any market force could be anything but benign.

The volume of data they collect keeps expanding exponentially, though. All sorts of tracking via app/web searches tied to individual users, video analytics tracking movement and engagement throughout stores, in-store wifi tracking you (if you are dumb enough to connect, lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

by an order of magnitude, easily

maybe 2 orders if the ifr is actually 20% in a full hospital system breakdown