Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

There are so many channels out there, commercial channels, that cater to an audience wanting mindless entertainment. There's a case to be made that that's not the best use of the license fee. That yeah, maybe it is a bit snooty but maybe the BBC should spend more on its news output, more on its educational programmes and cultural output and less on dancing with celebrities. That ratings shouldn't actually be a major concern for a public service broadcaster like it is for a commercial broadcaster. I'm not saying cancel Eastenders but the whole point of a public service broadcaster is it can make the sort of programmes that a channel that needs high viewership to earn ad revenue can't. But it really doesn't so much any more. Even the decent sciencey stuff needs to be overly flashy and Brian Cox has to visit half a dozen different countries to film one episode about Venus.

I like plenty of trash TV, don't get me wrong. But seems like that's what 5-USA or ITV or E4 are for. BBC can & should do more niche stuff because the alternative is "documentaries" that are History Channel calibre tripe about an ancient race of giants on Corsica & aliens building the pyramids.

entertainment is a public service though.
"Inform, Educate & Entertain"

there is a balance to be struck amongst how much is done of each at what cost, but that is balancing within different types of public service. it is not the case that you are balancing entertainment against public service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Propping open doors probably breaking a bunch of fire codes anyway. H&S Paradox

as long as you use one of those magnetic door holder that's linked to the fire alarm to release if that goes off it's fine.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Isomermaid posted:

It's loving telling though that the TERF answer to "cleaning is labour predominantly done by women for no wages regardless of if they are working full time" isn't "fairly distribute the household's cleaning duties amongst everyone" but "hire a poorer woman to do it for you". If your idea of feminism is content to throw minorities under the bus, and dispose of class concerns it's no surprise it also can't deal with the concept of trans people, and it's no wonder that more and more people see straight through it.

100% agree White Feminism is trash.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Only 59.73% to go until we get that heard immunity :cool:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1260934733992570889?s=20

i know positive isn't the same thing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

How was the hot higher pressure than the mains under the old system? Guessing electric hot water heater with a pump in or something, which should really have a big sticker on warning against those types of mixers (not that people heed stickers, but anything that blasts gross roof water into the mains sounds like something to avoid). Or was it a block of flats?

Block of flats, but the bigger problem is just how much mains pressure fluctuates around here, to the point where some mornings it can't even get water into my cistern on the first floor - which is sort of the point of the cistern of course, but it probably shouldn't be such a common problem. Turns out quadrupling the residential population of a place in 10 years has some consequences.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Replace BBC 4 with the Slipknot channel and I don't think anyone will notice

I'm in favour of this plan.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Afternoon, friends. TfL sent this yesterday, all sounds good as long as you've never been anywhere near any actual London public transport. :smith:

TfL posted:

Dear xxxxxxxxx,

We have a plan to help London re-open carefully, safely and sustainably.

This follows the advice and messages published by the Government yesterday.

In line with Government plans to increase national rail services, we are working hard to return Tube and bus services to normal levels under extraordinarily difficult circumstances, with many staff ill, shielding or self-isolating.

By next week, over 70 per cent of Tube services (in line with national rail services) and 85 per cent of bus services will be running.

However, given the national requirement to maintain 2 metres distance between passengers wherever possible, the capacity on the Tube and buses will be reduced to around 13-15 per cent, even once services are back to full strength.

This means transport must operate very differently.

In line with new Government advice, everyone who can work from home should continue to do so. Public transport should be avoided wherever possible to free up the limited space available to those who have no alternative way to travel.

If you must travel, please plan ahead and travel outside of the busiest times, particularly first thing in the morning. Please try to take the most direct route and avoid busy interchanges. To help you plan your journey we will be publishing details of the busiest stations and lines in the next few days and will write to you again with that information.

If you can, please walk or cycle for all or part of your journey, including to complete your journey if travelling into central London. We have been introducing local improvements in partnership with boroughs to widen footpaths and provide more cycle lanes. You can find out more here.

This is also to help support you in making the most of your local shops and outdoor spaces.

We are taking measures across our network to enable social distancing of 2 metres where possible. Please wear a face covering. Do not travel if you have any symptoms of the virus.

You may be asked to wait to enter a station. Some stations will have one-way systems, or you may be asked to walk on the left. We are also asking people to maintain social distancing throughout stations, for example on stairs, escalators and in lifts.

If travelling by bus, please maintain social distancing at stops and bus stations wherever possible. Currently you will also need to board the bus using the middle doors and you do not need to tap in. When in the bus please use all available space, including the upper deck, if possible, to maintain social distancing.

We are doing everything we can to maintain the cleanliness of our network with regular cleaning using hospital grade antiviral disinfectant.

It is also important that you continue to follow the Government advice on hygiene. Please wash your hands before and after travel and carry hand sanitiser with you. We are also putting hand sanitiser dispensers in our stations in the coming weeks.

Please be considerate to our staff and follow their instructions. Everyone is doing their best in these difficult times.

Thank you for your help.

I will write to you again with further information in the coming days.

Yours sincerely

Vernon Everitt
Managing Director, Customers, Communication & Technology

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

Only 59.73% to go until we get that heard immunity :cool:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1260934733992570889?s=20

i know positive isn't the same thing

Can we make any kind of sensible extrapolations from this to how many are likely to have been infected in total?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bornbytheriver posted:

Afternoon, friends. TfL sent this yesterday, all sounds good as long as you've never been anywhere near any actual London public transport. :smith:

I was waiting for a Tube train at 6:25 this morning and still had to let the first one go because it was too crowded for me to keep an appropriate distance away from anyone.
It's all fuuuuuuuucked

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Block of flats, but the bigger problem is just how much mains pressure fluctuates around here, to the point where some mornings it can't even get water into my cistern on the first floor - which is sort of the point of the cistern of course, but it probably shouldn't be such a common problem. Turns out quadrupling the residential population of a place in 10 years has some consequences.

The flat I lived in for the last 4 years before moving here - if anyone in any of the surrounding buildings (mix of shops, offices, flats) turned their water on, it would reduce the pressure from my taps almost to the point of the water just not getting to the shower. The mains pressure was so low and those were buildings that had been there almost 150 years so not even new demand.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

josh04 posted:

The kitchen tap in our flat pretty consistently has to run for 1-2 minutes while the output gets warmer and warmer before you get any cold, I'd assumed it was a terrible piping job that was doing laps around the boiler, but could it be this sort of thing?

My kitchen 'mixer' tap kind of does the opposite...you have a binary choice between BOILING LAVA and cold at the best of times, but if you want the latter you've still got to wait about 30 seconds for all the BOILING LAVA to fall out of it apparently.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

:hai:
That's why the "remember when a household could get by with a single income" is such bullshit, because it really means "remember when domestic chores took up so much of the day that we created an unpaid gendered class of workers to do it" and it's telling that so few of the anti-automation lot are smashing their automatic washing machines and cordless vacuum cleaners.

Also this was only ever true for a certain proportion of the population (roughly equivalent to those that owned houses). Working class families have never had the luxury of mummy just staying home all day throughout their offsprings' childhoods.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

feedmegin posted:

Working class families have never had the luxury of mummy just staying home all day throughout their offsprings' childhoods.

A lot of married women would at home, but taking in laundry etc.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

feedmegin posted:

My kitchen 'mixer' tap kind of does the opposite...you have a binary choice between BOILING LAVA and cold at the best of times, but if you want the latter you've still got to wait about 30 seconds for all the BOILING LAVA to fall out of it apparently.

You know what I like about my bathroom sink mixer tap? Fully to the right = cold. Fully to the left = BOILING LAVA. Exactly in the centre = pleasantly warm, just right for hand washing. None of that trying to remember a random angle 3/16ths of the way between middle and hot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The flat I lived in for the last 4 years before moving here - if anyone in any of the surrounding buildings (mix of shops, offices, flats) turned their water on, it would reduce the pressure from my taps almost to the point of the water just not getting to the shower. The mains pressure was so low and those were buildings that had been there almost 150 years so not even new demand.
Due to the strange way my house was plumbed over 120 years, starting with a basic standpipe in the scullery (now kitchen), then a tap and Belfast sink, then indoor plumbing :monocle:, then a kitchen remodel that allowed for a washing machine, the kitchen tap is now the furthest thing away from the water main, I think it goes bathroom > boiler > washing machine > kitchen tap, so literally anything using water (hot or cold) in the house reduces the kitchen tap to a trickle.

I'm not even sure how you'd fix that without a ton of plumbing work.

Also whoever fitted the kitchen tap got the hot and cold feeds the wrong way around :laugh:

Oh dear me posted:

A lot of married women would at home, but taking in laundry etc.
Yeah, the numbers of washerwomen in the workforce was huge, and it's one of the first jobs to have been completely lost through automation.

Of course, in our modern age of innovative disruptors, they've managed to reinvent washerwomen but with an app.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

bornbytheriver posted:

Can't wait to see how they deal with Covent Garden station.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Of course, in our modern age of innovative disruptors, they've managed to reinvent washerwomen but with an app.

Stupid disruptor name does not compute. Mentally pronouncing that {wæ'ʃɑː.ɹeɪ}

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Ha yes. Isn't it just 2/4 lifts to get out of there unless you are able to walk 257 steps or whatever without having a heart attack?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Cleaner chat:

I've not cleaned homes for a living but I have been a hotel / pub cleaner for my sins commonly known as "money too tight to mention" but I have many (female) friends who have (many highly qualified but contrary to government rhetoric, demand for people with STEM subject doctorates is not as high as they might lead you to believe.)

https://twitter.com/TabitaSurge/status/1260647664565121027?s=20

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Miftan posted:

it's just closed like all stations with lift only access
the stairs don't count cos they're "for emergencies only"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Elon Musk and Grimes reveal name of new baby

Bobstar posted:

wæ'ʃɑː.ɹeɪ

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That ba is going to rebel in its teens by calling itself Gary

or Shirley

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

oh loving hell 😔

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1260862539841384448?s=09

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Elon Musk and Grimes reveal name of new baby

Or "Grimey" as she liked to be called

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

entertainment is a public service though.
"Inform, Educate & Entertain"

there is a balance to be struck amongst how much is done of each at what cost, but that is balancing within different types of public service. it is not the case that you are balancing entertainment against public service.

Reith's slogan a) was created at a time when there were no commercial broadcasters providing entertainment b) puts entertainment last for a reason. I'm saying balance entertainment against the other functions of a public service broadcaster because right now it's very much entertain, entertain, inform, entertain, entertain, educate, entertain again.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
ended up clicking through replies until I got to this conservative councillor doing the "it's actually very straightforward advice you stupid lefties are just making afuss over nothing thing" but completely misinterpreting it as something actually semi sensible
https://twitter.com/AllanRankine/status/1259566516082814976?s=20

no, Allan, the new advice explicitly started from Wednesday which actually wasn't the 1st of June

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not watched TV in a while, I don't even think the TV bit of my TV works any more (just says 'no signal' and I cba to debug it), but I used to like the completely random OU stuff that came on at night, do they still do that?

Also does that mean I don't need a TV licence anymore? I guess it means then that I shouldn't be watching livestreams, but where do they draw the line between a broadcast livestream and a narrowcast one?

Like a 1:1 Skype video call isn't live TV, but streaming C4 News is, what about attending a virtual pub gig on Facebook with 200 people watching?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Not watched TV in a while, I don't even think the TV bit of my TV works any more (just says 'no signal' and I cba to debug it), but I used to like the completely random OU stuff that came on at night, do they still do that?

No. BBC1 just shows the BBC News channel & BBC2 is just This is BBC Two, a crappy nothing airfiller where they show "highlights" of upcoming BBC2 shows on a loop for 3 hours. It's shite.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Also does that mean I don't need a TV licence anymore? I guess it means then that I shouldn't be watching livestreams, but where do they draw the line between a broadcast livestream and a narrowcast one?

Like a 1:1 Skype video call isn't live TV, but streaming C4 News is, what about attending a virtual pub gig on Facebook with 200 people watching?

It's "as-live" TV. If you can tune a television to the same signal you need a license for it.

(If some clever dick mentions screen sharing I will post 5,000 words about the BT Tower in this thread, I swear to god)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

Haven't had a telly since we came back from travelling two years ago, and haven't missed it one bit. Had to do the "no, we still don't need a TV licence" online form a few weeks back, but wasn't hassled at all about it in the interim.

IIRC, if you don't have a way to watch live TV and don't use iPlayer, you don't need a licence. Netflix or whatever is fine without one. You do have to tell them your household doesn't require one, though, or they send Ominous Letters.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

the OU stopped broadcasting on the BBC in 2006 grandad

it's all online now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Isn't it also rubbish now?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

It's not what it once was. You used to be able to study more or less what you wanted, and now you have to follow 'pathways'. For level 1 courses you often don't get individual comments on submitted work, there's just a generic document covering all the issues raised (like an examiners' report from A-level exams) and you have to guess which comments apply to you.
And it is now extremely expensive.
If you don't need the piece of paper to prove our love to prove you've got a qualification, there are plenty of open access full degree courses online eg MIT or Stanford (and probably some UK ones now but I haven't looked for years) or numerous short course options with Future Learn, Coursera etc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Beast got starved. Such is neoliberal hellworld

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

This island doesn't deserve him 😢

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

Reith's slogan a) was created at a time when there were no commercial broadcasters providing entertainment b) puts entertainment last for a reason. I'm saying balance entertainment against the other functions of a public service broadcaster because right now it's very much entertain, entertain, inform, entertain, entertain, educate, entertain again.

You may see that sooner than you might think, albeit probably not how you might envision it - if the BBC acquires all its non-news programming via open tender, then there is no real reason for that part of its expenditure to be funded via the license tax thirty years after cable television and ten years into the triumph of video-on-demand. The news portion is a tiny share of its expenditures and could be paid for with much fewer fee payers, a much lower fee, or both.

The loss would of course be that the UK would no longer have common cultural media touchstones, but how much longer this was going to last has always been questionable anyway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's "as-live" TV. If you can tune a television to the same signal you need a license for it.
This both makes sense and doesn't make sense, because afaik I still need a TV licence to watch cable TV or Sky if I have those, even though I can't tune a TV to those channels. Iirc there was even a court case where it was either BSB or Sky made the claim that their service users shouldn't need a TV licence if they have a satellite box and a monitor, because there's no TV, and the judge noped them down, because it's broadcast moving pictures going to screens.

That was long before YouTube and Chromecasted FB Live virtual gigs on your TV set, so I wonder where the line is drawn.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(If some clever dick mentions screen sharing I will post 5,000 words about the BT Tower in this thread, I swear to god)
I mentioned Chromecast, does that count? I want to read 5,000 words about Location 23.

Cerv posted:

the OU stopped broadcasting on the BBC in 2006 grandad

it's all online now.
I'm sure that there was something that used to do incredibly random telelearning on one of the channels late at night after then. Maybe not OU, but you'd get like Georgian Architecture followed by Quantum Mechanics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ronya posted:

You may see that sooner than you might think, albeit probably not how you might envision it - if the BBC acquires all its non-news programming via open tender, then there is no real reason for that part of its expenditure to be funded via the license tax thirty years after cable television and ten years into the triumph of video-on-demand. The news portion is a tiny share of its expenditures and could be paid for with much fewer fee payers, a much lower fee, or both.

The loss would of course be that the UK would no longer have common cultural media touchstones, but how much longer this was going to last has always been questionable anyway.

Do we have that many "common cultural media touchstones" at this point? Even if we do is it actually much of a loss?

And this was entirely the opposite of what I was arguing for so of course you say it's what I want. I love you ronya. Stay safe during the pandemic.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

forkboy84 posted:

There are so many channels out there, commercial channels, that cater to an audience wanting mindless entertainment. There's a case to be made that that's not the best use of the license fee. That yeah, maybe it is a bit snooty but maybe the BBC should spend more on its news output, more on its educational programmes and cultural output and less on dancing with celebrities. That ratings shouldn't actually be a major concern for a public service broadcaster like it is for a commercial broadcaster. I'm not saying cancel Eastenders but the whole point of a public service broadcaster is it can make the sort of programmes that a channel that needs high viewership to earn ad revenue can't. But it really doesn't so much any more. Even the decent sciencey stuff needs to be overly flashy and Brian Cox has to visit half a dozen different countries to film one episode about Venus.

I like plenty of trash TV, don't get me wrong. But seems like that's what 5-USA or ITV or E4 are for. BBC can & should do more niche stuff because the alternative is "documentaries" that are History Channel calibre tripe about an ancient race of giants on Corsica & aliens building the pyramids.

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with entertainment of any sort in a vacuum, but the point of a publically funded broadcaster is precisely to be able to make the documentaries and exposés and what have you which aren't thought, by the commercial broadcasters and their advertisers, to be financially viable, or alternatively which may attract criticism and controversy they don't want to deal with. Theoretically, one of the great merits of the beeb is that they can put out things about, I dunno, trains in the 1920s whose viewership is made up almost entirely of the population of this thread, because they don't have to give a poo poo that it won't bring in the big bucks - it can make something niche, or obscure, or the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

Do we have that many "common cultural media touchstones" at this point? Even if we do is it actually much of a loss?

And this was entirely the opposite of what I was arguing for so of course you say it's what I want. I love you ronya. Stay safe during the pandemic.

about a tenth of the UK watch EastEnders, GBBO, Britain's Got Talent, etc. each. It is a far cry from the 1980s when over half of the country could tune in to major episodes, but it's still a lot.

I agree, it's the opposite of what you are envisioning - however it is I think in tune with what is actually happening and has been happening since the mid-1980s: that slow-motion campaign to convert the BBC to a subscription service. I'm not saying "ha ha ha, you actually want this thing you don't want", I'm saying "this is already happening albeit via means you don't want". The hardest parts have already been carried out: BBC Worldwide (now Studios) has proven that it can market its content outside the UK. An institutional standard of marking the success of non-news productions to competitive export market standards is already in place. What remains is for the BBC to steadily open its remaining programming to public tender (where BBC Studios would merely be one out of many producers), which it is in fact already doing. The somewhat awkward current status is that BBC Studios is failing at this, in the opinion of the NAO, because it is unexpectedly unsuccessful at selling its content to non-BBC broadcasters and conversely too successful at winning tenders to BBC-owned IP it is currently already producing.

Teething troubles, no doubt.