Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

made a rye manhattan but they were out of cherries and angostura bitters so i tried cherry bitters and the verdict is its booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
beer from laylow, the smallest brew pub in town

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Day 3 of my 7 day self-prohibition.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drinking smirnoff instead of my usual stolichnaya because they were sold-out at the bottleo. just doesn't taste the same...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
coffee was not an option on the poll so i just picked water.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

drinking smirnoff instead of my usual stolichnaya because they were sold-out at the bottleo. just doesn't taste the same...

There is never any reason to drink Smirnoff imo. Do they have Russian standard? I've always found that to be quite good for the money.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

There is never any reason to drink Smirnoff imo. Do they have Russian standard? I've always found that to be quite good for the money.

tbh when they said they were out of stoli i kinda just panicked and blurted out the first brand that came to mind :doh: looking at their website they do have russian standard, might try that next time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pile Of Garbage posted:

tbh when they said they were out of stoli i kinda just panicked and blurted out the first brand that came to mind :doh: looking at their website they do have russian standard, might try that next time

does it have a big rectangular building on the label? that's important

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

prefect posted:

does it have a big rectangular building on the label? that's important

stoli does

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
belgian quadruples

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

A FESTIVE SKELETON posted:

belgian quadruples

bought a bunch of belgians at my last booze run, including delerium red

it was absolutely loving awful

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i used to really love quads but my tastes changed i guess and they dont do it for me anymore

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Corla Plankun posted:

i used to really love quads but my tastes changed i guess and they dont do it for me anymore

quads are so so hard to do. if it tastes like banana bread they hosed up. theres literally no times i want a single serving 14%er these days

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i also used to like quads, and don’t have much of a taste for them anymore

i do really like the new Belgium brewing tripel, but it is hard to find locally

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Ive been drinking a lot of cider recently. Going through all the upstate NY/great lakes area ciders.

I got a big ole bottle of Aaron burr elder pomme last. it was very weird but good. elderberry + apples.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
bourbon in a glass

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ugh it sold out in like 10 mins

https://silveroak.com/shop/p/2014-alexander-valley-six-750ml/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

we had our first takeout meal yesterday since february and both ordered a bourbon based drink that was great with our meals

they make a really nice manhattan there but its not on the limited menu so im practicing at home

sports
Sep 1, 2012
does anyone else here like zubrowka or polmos cloudy vodka (:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
trying to force myself to like whiskey

not sure if it's working. for some stupid reason I keep looking at it like "it smells okay but it tastes like burning and I'm afraid to drink it"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

not sure if it's working. for some stupid reason I keep looking at it like "it smells okay but it tastes like burning and I'm afraid to drink it"

just drink something you enjoy more. interesting whiskey is really overpriced compared to a lot of really fine kinds of liquor.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

lol why. if you dont like it then fuckit

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
even wine drinkers get upset by how much whiskey people spend

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

only because they could be getting something that tastes good for the money

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stringent posted:

only because they could be getting something that tastes good for the money

Then they should stop drinking wine?

:shrug:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

to be fair good wine isn't super expensive. Good whiskey is pretty often out of reach

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whiskey feels like a christmas drink to me. it's too loving hot here for that.

"wine drinkers" probably not people who buy em in a box then

i got some 1800 reposado, it's good. i'd like to compare it and the el jim side by side. continuing to finish off the last of my brandy in my coffee

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

bazinga whiskey

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just drink something you enjoy more. interesting whiskey is really overpriced compared to a lot of really fine kinds of liquor.

sports posted:

to be fair good wine isn't super expensive. Good whiskey is pretty often out of reach

I don't get this at all. Good whisky can be had for let's say 30 to 100 per bottle (euro, pound or dollar take your pick). And they contain many more servings than a bottle of wine. Like 20 servings per bottle instead of 5. So you can divide the price of a bottle of liquor by 4 to compare it to wine.

It gets hairy when comparing prices between locations because in some cases state liquor monopolies and such have ridiculous markups or hefty import fees, but usually in those cases the locally produced stuff is often cheaper and more available.

So, I'm curious. What would you consider good whisk(e)y and how much does it cost, and the same question for wine.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 14, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like the local colorado stranahan's whiskey which is like $60 a bottle and im a lot less picky about wine and like the apothic red california blend that is like $9 a bottle, for both cooking and drinking

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

i like the local colorado stranahan's whiskey which is like $60 a bottle and im a lot less picky about wine and like the apothic red california blend that is like $9 a bottle, for both cooking and drinking

I wanted to get some stranahan's here, but all I could find was the Diamond Peak and it was 100 Euros.

Tin Cup is really cheap though. Have you tried that?
It's MGP bourbon with some stranahan's mixed in. It's a mostly fake Colorado whiskey but it's 35 a bottle so I was considering getting one anyway since it's cheap enough.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

spankmeister posted:

I don't get this at all. Good whisky can be had for let's say 30 to 100 per bottle (euro, pound or dollar take your pick). And they contain many more servings than a bottle of wine. Like 20 servings per bottle instead of 5. So you can divide the price of a bottle of liquor by 4 to compare it to wine.

It gets hairy when comparing prices between locations because in some cases state liquor monopolies and such have ridiculous markups or hefty import fees, but usually in those cases the locally produced stuff is often cheaper and more available.

So, I'm curious. What would you consider good whisk(e)y and how much does it cost, and the same question for wine.

not sure if I agree with dividing by four, it isn't purely a $/alchol question and I tend to drink more if it's spirits but thats subjective.

its a tax thing partly, a bottle of Bakery Hill from Tasmania will set me back $160, a Yamazaki 12 Year Old Single Malt is $400, a Lagavulin 8 Year Old is $90.

I can get a bottle of John Duval GSM for $50 if I want something critically acclaimed and very good, or an almost as good Sons of Eden GSM for $22. if I want a good burgundy through thats going to be $200 coz of import tax.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
then again wine people are worse than audiophiles when it comes to seeing price as a quality signal so I don't want to defend myself too much.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

overall i think it is stupid to put these things head-to-head, i love me some whiskey, i just don't think it is the best thing to try to force oneself to take an interest in without reasons.

being a fairly cheap wine snob is real easy though, where whiskey and beer have anything small-scale almost automatically become premium and expensive small vineyards in weird places often make great (or at least extremely interesting) stuff for fairly little money. i used to live in south africa, so since i know the regions and so on fairly well i do a fair bit of fun (and not at all very low-end) wine snobbery hobby while averaging €10/bottle. you can do the same for all kinds of regions or less favored varietals.

whiskey is such an investment to make properly that almost all of it is done in a very careful commercially planned way, with a very well-defined focus on a sophisticated and fairly well-off base of enthusiasts. there simply will not be a lot of undiscovered gems. there's also a lot of liquors which has won less favor and therefore has a bit wilder manufacturer landscape, and with that bigger swings in both price and quality, which can, at minimum, be quite fun. or even trendy stuff which is just pretty simple to make (e.g. gin), fostering a huge selection.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

if I want a good burgundy through thats going to be $200 coz of import tax.

then again wine people are worse than audiophiles when it comes to seeing price as a quality signal so I don't want to defend myself too much.

is this :thejoke:?

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
local belgian tripels

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sniep posted:

im a lot less picky about wine and like the apothic red california blend that is like $9 a bottle, for both cooking and drinking

it sucks that the wine trials hasnt been printed since 2010. it was a guide to everything good under 12 bucks

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
~my girlfriend~ really likes stranahans, we have been to the distillery too. it is good whiskey but not aged very long. also it is american single malt which is still an uncommon type of whiskey. it's all barley, there is no corn or rye at all, it tastes very different from bourbon. the closest thing would be unpeated scotch/japanese whiskey

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if whiskey is too expensive then you're probably drinking scotch/japanese, stop that. drink bourbon! you can go real bottom shelf if you're mixing it, but otherwise for a good price point i recommend four roses. the regular yellow label is drinkable on its own but not so expensive that you'd be mad using it in a cocktail (a bit over $20). or you can spend $35 for the small batch, or $45-50 for the single barrel. small batch is the ideal value imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
rum tastes better than whisky and its about 1/4 the price yall