Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Apparently workers instead of whatever they classify drivers as.

Independent contractors, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Battlechimp Potemkin owns.

:hai:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

face status: eaten, although i wish it was the software "engineers" instead

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Independent contractors, iirc

If I want the freedom to choose to accept all the risk and receive none of the profit then big government has no right to interfere, it's between me and the person who is legally not my boss.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/LitCen1/status/1259923663563812870

"they're treating us like they treat the drivers" :thunk:

Wasn't there an article a while ago about how Uber (or some other bullshit place) very deliberately makes drivers sub-human when they interact with them at their office, going so far as to require they use separate bathrooms from the real employees?

Or was that Amazon with their subcontractors or something, I know Amazon also does the whole SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP thing where they dangle being hired as a real actual employee over the contractors' heads to get them to work harder, then fire them anyway.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

If I want the freedom to choose to accept all the risk and receive none of the profit then big government has no right to interfere, it's between me and the person who is legally not my boss.

Look you commies wanted to own the means of production (your car, complete with all the responsibilities of maintenance and payments and upkeep), I don't see why you're still complaining, ugh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

Or was that Amazon with their subcontractors or something, I know Amazon also does the whole SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP thing where they dangle being hired as a real actual employee over the contractors' heads to get them to work harder, then fire them anyway.

lmao even the Starship Troopers government was more honest, because at least when they made the "Service Guarantees Citizenship" offer it was genuine.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shame Boy posted:

Wasn't there an article a while ago about how Uber (or some other bullshit place) very deliberately makes drivers sub-human when they interact with them at their office, going so far as to require they use separate bathrooms from the real employees?

yeah it was Uber: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/12/05/uber-office-bathrooms-segregated/

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Pretty sure it was Uber that had a whole fake HQ with a single person working at the front desk and directed complaining drivers there so Real Employees would have no chance of meeting one

e: gently caress, fell for an urban legend.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

actionjackson posted:

that's a pretty big pay cut :p

i honestly would have expected the ceo of at&t to get a higher pension then $3 million a year

must have been a rough quarter for them

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1260671185282641920

:thermidor:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

lol absolute shamelessness

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The cool part is those are quite small by contemporary standards

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

taqueso posted:

The cool part is those are quite small by contemporary standards

Almost shockingly low. It could be one of those where if they don't get a bonus they have to get their stock options paid out or something at set rate (likely 10x higher then current value)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So what you're saying is these brave and noble capitalists took a pay cut in solidarity with the workforce :patriot:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chomp8645 posted:

lmao even the Starship Troopers government was more honest, because at least when they made the "Service Guarantees Citizenship" offer it was genuine.

No it loving wasn't genuine you loving fool you idiot. Those soldiers loving DIED.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

No it loving wasn't genuine you loving fool you idiot. Those soldiers loving DIED.

I mean it was genuine in that the rare ones that managed to come back got citizenship I guess. They were also missing 2 or 3 limbs but hey.

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Siljmonster posted:

only like 2 or 3 of them jesus what movie did you see

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they gave their pound of flesh

and bone

and maybe a few more pounds

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
God drat it no not this again having PTSD about watching Starship Troopers too many times

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sounds like someone is trying to steal citizenship valor

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I always thought that green acrylic fiddle was cool

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What would the city leadership of Hiroshima have to say about all of this, hmmm?

The premise for the world government in the book sounds pretty dope though. All the Soldiers/veterans of the world get sick of bullshit wars of oppression and turn their guns on their own governments.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I could go for $1 million

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

snoo posted:

I could go for $1 million

*finger on the monkey's paw curls*

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hi I'm a Professional Casual

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Siljmonster posted:

I mean, some did yeah. Seems like most of em survived though.

And now they're citizens! O7

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Small Gay Planet posted:

only like 2 or 3 of them jesus what movie did you see

there is a scene where a giant space ship blows up (multiples of them)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
losers folks and we don’t like losers as citizens in our great country do we?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

So... instead of just massively underpaying grad students to do that work, they're asking people to do it loving voluntarily?

I hope the school shuts down.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

evidently a lot of grad students are having their TA positions and funding withdrawn. I work at a university and I make an absolutely garbage wage, but they've gone ahead and frozen any raises or hiring (I was hoping to maybe find a better position here) indefinitely and so now I will have gone a full year without a raise, which didn't even happen when I worked as a cashier.

meanwhile we're paying a basketball coach like nearly a million dollars and have no less than five provosts and a president making like $400-800k

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why are universities cutting pay? have there been lots of drop outs or something

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Because any funding they get goes to administrative bloat instead of line workers, and freezing wages ensures any excess goes to the top.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

academia in general is basically an edifice designed to sustain innumerable search committees for six-figure positions

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And right now colleges and universities are being hosed by knock-on effects from the coronavirus and quarantines, driving down enrollment numbers, how much students are spending at on-campus facilities, and donations to the colleges.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

^^^ I bet Jeff Bezos signed up for those emails.

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1261005129823793152

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

An article about Bezos is where I pulled the ad from. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sylink posted:

there is a scene where a giant space ship blows up (multiples of them)

Ok but Neil Patrick Harris survives by being a very smart boy and therefore not having to be in any sort of danger at all ever so clearly they live in a meritocracy and the grunts who died should have done better in school and learned how to be psychic better :colbert: