Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I wish Lego would stop making really awesome sets that I want, that both cost 200+ bucks AND are way too tall for me to display anywhere.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ether
May 20, 2001

Darth TNT posted:

Why do you find the judge inconsistent? He's been pretty consistent in his love for stories.
That's certainly true, but that love has overriden the actual challenge a few times already.
Make your dreamhouse? Not enough minifigs!
Create a boat, but use this train without altering it too much. You shouldnt have plopped down the train as the steamer-cabin!

Doesn't help that I'm more of a builder then a storyteller, because I really dont care much about the right minifig's expression but do care about smart or beautiful ways to build things.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sorry to bring up some politics, but if Trump succeeds in destroying the USPS, that's the end of Bricklink. No one will pay UPS/FedEx prices, not even for our precious, precious plastic bits.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dogen posted:

Now I just need to build a little Sonic for them to hang out at.

I cannot recommend Carbohydrates' builds enough. In an official set there is like maybe one "interesting" technique if you are lucky but almost every step of these is like, "how the gently caress is this going to hang together," but they do and you get ridiculous detail and shaping for a little sacrifice in stability. They're just exciting to build.
Hey, awesome, thanks for the pic! Glad you like 'em! The Cuda's build is definitely one of the more unique ones so far, but I'm really happy with that rocker design and I'll be using it again very soon.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, people worried that they won't get the pirates set need to stop worrying. It'll be around for at least a year. Probably more with how popular it is. If it was just gone forever already that would be totally unprecidented.

This is all very reassuring to hear.

I’ve just been thinking about my favorite childhood LEGO sets more now that my wife and I have a kid on the way, and I was always bummed that I never got to have one of the pirate ship sets (Barracuda or Schooner) as a kid. Or as an adult, thus far.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ether posted:

That's certainly true, but that love has overriden the actual challenge a few times already.
Make your dreamhouse? Not enough minifigs!
Create a boat, but use this train without altering it too much. You shouldnt have plopped down the train as the steamer-cabin!

Doesn't help that I'm more of a builder then a storyteller, because I really dont care much about the right minifig's expression but do care about smart or beautiful ways to build things.
I see what you mean, I chalked that up to the challenge in that episode just not being that good.
I mean I get it, and it seemed like a good idea. But when one group gives you a huge icecream cone and they expect you to make a racecar out of it without changing too much you know that something is going to go very wrong. It might have been better if they'd all gotten the same vehicle to build and then swap them.

I wouldn't mind the focus on story telling much, if they actually showed it a bit more. It's usually just a few pans while the judge tells us it's great story telling.
Show and tell please.
Regardless, it's a hit with my son who loves those crazy minifig expressions, who I guess is more the target audience.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dogen posted:

Now I just need to build a little Sonic for them to hang out at.

I cannot recommend Carbohydrates' builds enough. In an official set there is like maybe one "interesting" technique if you are lucky but almost every step of these is like, "how the gently caress is this going to hang together," but they do and you get ridiculous detail and shaping for a little sacrifice in stability. They're just exciting to build.

Ooooh, Barracuda.

That looks great in red.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

It's a tremendously good set. I paid about $400 for mine, and I actually DO think it was worth it because I really like it that much, but you could also go the knockoff route.

Even the knockoff monster house sets are out of print and difficult to come by... I lucked out and snagged one on ebay a little while back and it’s sitting in my build pile :toot:

Definitely excited for the new house though, and the Johnny Thunder easter eggs... Adventurers is my all time favorite lego series.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
So the new haunted house doesn't come with the motor? That seems cheap as hell. It would probably be a buy for me but the fact it's $250 and they expect me to shell out another $70 is too much.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry to bring up some politics, but if Trump succeeds in destroying the USPS, that's the end of Bricklink. No one will pay UPS/FedEx prices, not even for our precious, precious plastic bits.

I had considered this as well. A likely scenario is the USPS gets absorbed into Amazon :whitewater:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I had considered this as well. A likely scenario is the USPS gets absorbed into Amazon :whitewater:

Will I get a free book of stamps every month with my Prime subscription?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well they will pay it, because there would be no other option. The loss of the USPS can't change people's needs to get stuff sent around the country/world.

I really don't want the mail system to be privately owned, but the USPS is a goddamn disaster. If blowing it up means the end of junk mail and people are more cautious about how much stuff they ship it could be a net positive for the climate. The better solution is to rebuild the USPS from the ground up but I think we all know that is impossible in an era where literally everything turns into a partisan slapfight.

Realistically, nothing is going to change. Your cheap bricklink shipping rates are safe. :angel:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They will absolutely dismantle and privatize the USPS if they can and raise the shipping rates as high as they want. The new system will be less efficient and worse for the planet. This is the land of private prisons and corporate healthcare.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yeah, the USPS kind of sucks, but losing it completely to privatization would be a hell of a lot worse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the USPS went away, people who don't live in a metro area simply wouldn't get mail anymore. If the USPS does go the way of the dodo, rural voters will get pissed off and demand the post office back. The new postal service will either only service rural people to own the libs in the cities, or will be required to run at a massive loss by being required to pay to have UPS and Fedex deliver things so that Republicans can still complain about big government.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

EDIT ^^^ Grim, but I'm having a hard time arguing any of it.

SkeletonHero posted:

Yeah, the USPS kind of sucks, but losing it completely to privatization would be a hell of a lot worse.

Without question. Amazon might be able to do an OK job, but they are already too big and I don't want them handling my mail.

xzzy posted:

Well they will pay it, because there would be no other option. The loss of the USPS can't change people's needs to get stuff sent around the country/world.

I disagree, I think we've been spoiled by the USPS and Amazon, and don't realize how expensive shipping really is.

For a decent size set, if the postage is $25, UPS and Fedex would be over $50. Even though shipping is always separate on Bricklink, at some point the shipping will be so prohibitively high that the value of sets and original boxes will fall.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

SkeletonHero posted:

It already basically is. There's a reason it's usps.com and not usps.gov. They run themselves. You could argue they get a lot of government support to keep them running but I seem to recall some big banks being "too big to fail" not that long ago. The usps is just another poorly run large corporation that has been struggling for many years.

I hope it survives too because sometimes they are the cheapest option for what I'm trying to do.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
The USPS is self-sustaining -- it's not funded by other parts of the government, as far as I'm aware.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Interrupting USPS chat to bring you a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

This one was modeled after a car my dad's wife owned when she was young, a lime '71 Chevelle SS 350 coupe with a white top and stripes. Super fun build with some novel shaping, such as the gently sloped hood bits, the 1/5 stud recessed rear deck, and the bodywork under the rear bumper.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

The USPS is self-sustaining -- it's not funded by other parts of the government, as far as I'm aware.

Well except for the part where it's not self-sustaining. They've had money problems for many years now, and the pandemic has them in a position where they'll be unable to function within a few months without some help.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
USPS going away would probably destroy or severely impact any e-retailer that was a small business or consisted of an individual seller/reseller like eBay. They’re far less expensive to ship with than UPS or FedEx and stuff in general is more likely to sell if it doesn’t have crazy UPS rates added on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

Interrupting USPS chat to bring you a 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

This one was modeled after a car my dad's wife owned when she was young, a lime '71 Chevelle SS 350 coupe with a white top and stripes. Super fun build with some novel shaping, such as the gently sloped hood bits, the 1/5 stud recessed rear deck, and the bodywork under the rear bumper.

I like the tail lights and exhaust work as well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Well except for the part where it's not self-sustaining. They've had money problems for many years now, and the pandemic has them in a position where they'll be unable to function within a few months without some help.

USPS was profiting in the range of $200 million a year before being saddled with onerous pension prepayment requirements that exist solely to gently caress it into the ground.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoL8g0W9gAQ

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
E: not continuing a derail.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I haven't had any bad experiences with USPS in like a decade. They have come a long way from "it'll show up some time in the next 3 weeks" like it was back in the day. And like other people said, UPS and FED Ex are unaffordable for people who don't ship in bulk. They cost like 4x as much as USPS.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

It’s not USPS’ fault, blame congress. USPS makes enough to fund itself, but Congress won’t budge on the requirement they fund their retirement 50 years into the future, which is what’s killing them. Also international postal treaties subsidizing shipping from China due to the outdated expectations that people send letters and buy equivalent postage in their home country to offset guaranteed delivery. Also, John Oliver is dope, I need to rewatch the USPS episode... thanks for the link!

But thanks to USPS, we have bricklink, and god bless bricklink for stuff like this:

There is a nonzero chance I go on a vintage space set buying spree...

Also, drat do old legos have so many chew marks :negative:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 15, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OSU_Matthew posted:

There is a nonzero chance I go on a vintage space set buying spree...

I had this one! This and a small red stunt biplane were my first real LEGO sets.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Speaking as a non-American, I think that if the USPS dies then Bricklink will still survive, although it would be a lot smaller. A huge proportion of stores are in Europe and other parts of the world.

Also speaking as a non-American, god drat you lot were spoiled in the 90s with all the US-only sets and themes like RoboForce. I certainly would like this:

But it's expensive buying from the US with international shipping.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

There were a lot people like me who used their teeth to take bricks apart when they were 9 years old. I'm sorry for being part of the problem.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

There were a lot people like me who used their teeth to take bricks apart when they were 9 years old. I'm sorry for being part of the problem.

same. I wouldn't be surprised if it was contributing factor to why I needed braces.

Kids have it easy these days, brick separators are in any moderate size set. I don't think I had one for the longest time. Like maybe when I got mindstorms? (And even then I didn't use it nearly enough casue I was a dumbass kid.)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

same. I wouldn't be surprised if it was contributing factor to why I needed braces.

Kids have it easy these days, brick separators are in any moderate size set. I don't think I had one for the longest time. Like maybe when I got mindstorms? (And even then I didn't use it nearly enough casue I was a dumbass kid.)

I’m guilty too... and I even had the very first 2$ brick separator, ordered straight from the lego club catalog. I kinda wanna see if I can find my old magazine stash to flip through the catalogs and do some bricklink shopping... Fort Legoredo here I come!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Pretty sure my childhood brick separator also has chew marks.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Sound teeth are nature's brick separator. Has nobody ever gotten say, two 2x4 plates attached together one on top of the other so firmly that the connection between them is stronger than the leverage between the separator and the base plate used to hold the bottom one down to separate the top plate? I may not have described that eloquently, but there are situations where the separator doesn't always do the best or most immediate job at separating strongly conjoined pieces. Especially the old grey one that is oversized and doesn't have the fingernail piece for getting between bricks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not opposed to the strategic use of teeth because lord know I do it sometimes, but most situations can be easily solved with 2 brick separators or the right angle of pressure. The only time I have felt like I've gotten Lego truly stuck was 1x1 trans cones on rods with the little ring around them. they might as well be super glued on and you could definitely break your teeth trying to get them apart.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 15, 2020

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

I think in that case (transparent cone on transparent antenna) there's actually some kind of chemical bond going on so they become literally impossible to pull apart. I got one of those in a bulk lot I picked up last year and they are well and truly stuck.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think in that case (transparent cone on transparent antenna) there's actually some kind of chemical bond going on so they become literally impossible to pull apart. I got one of those in a bulk lot I picked up last year and they are well and truly stuck.

Yeah. These are the hardest to separate. I don't think it is a chemical thing, though. I've almost always been able to get them unstuck with enough effort. loving sucks, though.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah, I think you're right actually. Not a chemical bond per se, but it's something to do with how that plastic interacts with itself. It's a different plastic to solid-coloured Lego which is why it's only an issue with transparent colours.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
transparent pieces are made of polycarbonate, and when you have polycarbonate on polycarbonate with a high amount of friction(which only really comes into play in this specific type of instance of sliding a cone over a rod type piece), it is basically fused together short of destroying the pieces in certain cases. luckily the transparent cone pieces are generally extremely common and easily replaced, so just clip it off with like, modeling clippers or something if it can't be removed through conventional means.

this also happens to be why if you stack transparent bricks, they tend to be noticeably tighter fits when taking them apart again compared to regular ABS plastic lego bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I use 2 brick separators to lift my laptop a little bit, to give it more airflow on the bottom for cooling. Very useful.