Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I already know the answer to my own question but why do they make these tech showoff promo things so intensely boring and subdued?

Give me a muton fighting a krogan in an exploding nightclub,then they both bust through a wall into a mario game before a gundam stomps into view and kicks bowser into the sun?

BOORIING!

People like you are why we got Dragon Age 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hav posted:

I don’t know what that means but i’m sure you brought it in yourself.
(Joke)

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Is there a mouse or a cockroach or something?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hav posted:

Dragon Age 2 got a lot of things right that the other two games got wrong. It was crippled by a lack of development time so we got a lot of copy-pasted areas and basically no agency in the plot, but the punchy combat and a named protagonist would've made 1 and 3 much better.

It's just a shame it got so rushed so now people want to throw the good things out with the bad.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

The ole "centipede reach around"

Glad to see them building out the exploratory sex pipelines!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I already know the answer to my own question but why do they make these tech showoff promo things so intensely boring and subdued?
All tech demos are intended to demo something. This one's intended to show off things (environmental details and global illumination) that are, in fact, boring and subdued to common people, so it's doing its job fine.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
When I press the button to watch an engine demo, I should receive awesome.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Starbase closed alpha is out of NDA.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sample_text posted:

Starbase closed alpha is out of NDA.

Legitimately great news, I really want to know how it scales with lots of players. I feel like that's going to make all the difference between it being Space Engineers 1.5 and Eve 2.0

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Some great features I'm seeing in the Starbase closed alpha videos:

* Areas of the station are instanced, like the hand-mining area, so only you and party members can get in. This means no fighting over the 3 limited terminals or whatever on the station- and already we're beyond CIG's capabilities.
* Internal fast-travel terminals let you jump around within the greater area of the starting station
* They've turned the in-game building into a minigame in another instanced area, so you can hand-assemble parts for cash just like the Foxxcon employees you've always dreamed of being
* Gravity and orientation looks like a breeze and I've seen no clipping or plane collision of any sort
* You can use the shop to buy prefabbed ships and probably designs by other players eventually, if you don't want to do the design/build part of the game
* There's a ship editor that you can use to build stuff without expending resources, but you can also buy pieces and bolt them straight on to your ship in-game

There's a lot of graphical roughness, pop-in and terrible lighting. And I'm still worried that the netcode will make the whole thing collapse. But from a playability standpoint it's already leagues beyond what CIG ever accomplished.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Guys penis coming out of his pants is fidelity.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This might be a random pass but do we know if CI not G has had any dealings with Greensill Capital at all? For those who haven't heard, Greensill is a not-bank which nevertheless issues bonds like a bank on company debts which are then magically not-debts and the companies concerned can then pretend they are debt speculators as long as they're earning any money at all and it got me to wondering if CI not G was on the hook in a similar way because this form of "finance" enables you to look like you have no debt and all is in order when in fact you're leveraged way above the eyeballs as you print imaginary money and it only takes an interruption in the flow of the cash to cause a cascade failure.

This has happened to at least 5 of Greensills clients and more are suspected on the way as the economic crunch continues. Wouldn't that be ironic?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Guys penis coming out of his pants is fidelity.

you are really good at spotting those things!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Some great features I'm seeing in the Starbase closed alpha videos:

* Areas of the station are instanced, like the hand-mining area, so only you and party members can get in. This means no fighting over the 3 limited terminals or whatever on the station- and already we're beyond CIG's capabilities.
* Internal fast-travel terminals let you jump around within the greater area of the starting station
* They've turned the in-game building into a minigame in another instanced area, so you can hand-assemble parts for cash just like the Foxxcon employees you've always dreamed of being
* Gravity and orientation looks like a breeze and I've seen no clipping or plane collision of any sort
* You can use the shop to buy prefabbed ships and probably designs by other players eventually, if you don't want to do the design/build part of the game
* There's a ship editor that you can use to build stuff without expending resources, but you can also buy pieces and bolt them straight on to your ship in-game

There's a lot of graphical roughness, pop-in and terrible lighting. And I'm still worried that the netcode will make the whole thing collapse. But from a playability standpoint it's already leagues beyond what CIG ever accomplished.

mind linking that

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Inacio posted:

mind linking that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jJqMF_zqAc

I wish the art style wasn't so generic and terrible, it's the one visual element that really turns me off. Not sure where all the space devs got it in their heads that flat grey + neon advertisements was the look of the future but I really, really hate it. Give me some Ralph McQuarrie or uh, that designer who inspired the Homeworld series, I forget his name.

E: Chris Foss

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 14, 2020

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

DigitalPenny posted:

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.

Like why do you need any model with a billion triangles... other than to scan something with lidar and be to lazy to clean it up.

Hats off to them if it works that is pretty incredible.

What you are saying here is, essentially, why ever create anything technically more advanced than Doom (or while we're at it, something from the 80's) since it worked?

DigitalPenny posted:

i have done a huge amount of 3D modelling, and not having to worry about point counts, polygons and ect would be awesome .... the tech looked really cool. dont get me wrong 20 million triangles on screen in real time is mind mind'bogglingly awesome

but to have a flat plane with 7 million polygons is just bloat ... more doesn't mean better, no matter how many triangles you add a square it will just be a square ... and unless you are getting out the microscope you done need thousands of triangles to see a circle... how many round hand rails have you seen in games and thought dam if only they could add a few more hundred triangles and smooth it out ?

How is a plane with 7 million polygons in any way relevant if what they're showing is how much detail you can put in to a project and what's even more incredible, simultaneously having a dynamic light source? If the tech demo was in real time and an honest look at how much can be achieved it was quite impressive to see how they went by a (iirc) 33 million polygon statue with the dynamic lighting and right after that, to a hall with enough instances of said model to pass over a billion polygons. It was somewhere around 6 minutes to the demo. Which it is - a tech demo. It doesn't mean you need to be lazy about your polygon budget, it's there to show you what it can handle. You've done a huge amount of 3D modeling? then why get stuck with naming/concepts like a primitive "Plane" vs "an object initially started with a "Box primitive" or "object_8331", imported from somewhere else? it doesn't matter.

Like you said it's really awesome if it's something that can be applied to any kind of a project without strict limits to what other types of things can be going on at the same time. You don't need to have chamfered corners or edges in every doorway but if you can, while also adding as much geometric detail as you would with a bump map and get more physically based and sharp light/reflection reactions as a result, where's the problem? Don't get this wrong, I don't mean to sound offensive I'm just really baffled.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sarsapariller posted:

I wish the art style wasn't so generic and terrible, it's the one visual element that really turns me off. Not sure where all the space devs got it in their heads that flat grey + neon advertisements was the look of the future but I really, really hate it. Give me some Ralph McQuarrie or uh, that designer who inspired the Homeworld series, I forget his name.

I honestly prefer their art style rather than the standard "In space everything is a dull grey greeble". If anything, their use of straight edges and saturated colors does kinda resemble Chris Foss's style, a bit.
I mean, they're not gonna do curved surfaces, for obvious reasons, but I reckon you should be able to pull of something like this:

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I’m not really saying they have some ace up their sleeve that we aren’t seeing, as much as Chris still believes that he can salvage something and that is why he hasn’t walked away yet.

But I will go out on a limb and say that we will eventually see SQ42 released in some form. It will be a horrible poo poo pile of a game, but it will see the light of day. I’m pretty sure that there was actually an older version of SQ42 that was close to being done at one point, but it was scrapped sometime after the vertical slice demo in 2017. Since then I think Chris has been furiously trying to refactor the whole thing in a vain attempt to try to catch up with modern games.

Chris got too much of an ego to stop, he ain't walking into the sunset till the padlocks are on the doors not because he has decided enough is enough, it's because he was forced out either by investors or bankruptcy.

Chris is still looking at floor plans of the foundation of his arena where as everyone has laid theirs, built the arena, made renovations and now are now ready to open a new arena.

The gameplay shown of sq42 wasn't a vertical slice...that was all of it. They have nothing else.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Also holy poo poo I just realized, their lovely non-existent mega-transport / ac130 gunship is 2 years old. Have they even mentioned that thing? Even in passing?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sample_text posted:

Also holy poo poo I just realized, their lovely non-existent mega-transport / ac130 gunship is 2 years old. Have they even mentioned that thing? Even in passing?

Yeah it's on the roadmap. Now the Redeemer, the $250 community-designed gunship first sold in 2013? Completely memory-holed.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

:reddit: Star citizen has ruined all other games for me

quote:

So I fired up elite dangerous last night as I wanted a nice bug free 30kless experience in my type 7 trading ship. I must of lasted 5 minutes and then I turned it off.

Tried mass effect Andromeda and whilst I'm enjoying the story and will complete it, I just cant get past the little things like loading screens and even lack of an animation when I get into vehicles/spaceships.

I'm not comparing the two games I know they are different I was even playing witcher 3 and i didn't last long on that either because wanted to just jump in my freelancer and fly off through the clouds.

SC immersion is unmatched even in this current state, it's what true next gen is all about, and this is why they are breaking funding records this year because once people get a taste they need more, and whilst star citizen is leading the way for the 'next gen' I think it's what should be standard in the next 10 years for gaming as a whole.

:therapy:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

gameplay just isn't as good as Dreams...

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah it's on the roadmap. Now the Redeemer, the $250 community-designed gunship first sold in 2013? Completely memory-holed.

Nope. It got retconned out of existence (probably when they realized that space nerds would rather have the not-millenium-falcon, than a AC 130 gunship / imaginary tank transporter).
Also without Rex, who's gonna push that exciting mil-sim gameplay?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
All these games that don't constantly crash to desktop just aren't doing it for me anymore.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Remember when Bootcha cashed out of Star Citizen because he's a venture capitalist who found out he wasn't going to get a return on his investment immediately ?
EDIT: (And that's why he is biased against CIG, you see).

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I'm still waiting (not really) on when i can at least SEE my RSI Orion! Can't even see it on the roadmap anymore!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Popete posted:

All these games that don't constantly crash to desktop just aren't doing it for me anymore.

You just need to make friends with someone who can wiz you up some config files for these stable games to make them crash more often.

You should get in touch with Kazan, yes THAT Kazan.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sample_text posted:

Remember when Bootcha cashed out of Star Citizen because he's a venture capitalist who found out he wasn't going to get a return on his investment immediately ?
EDIT: (And that's why he is biased against CIG, you see).

I member!

Then he spitefully attempted to besmirched the good name of Sandi Gardiner by revelling factual information about her in an art project video series about the cost of money to get into the new galaxy.

Such a bitter loser!

#istandwithsandigettingarefundfrombeingmarriedtochris

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: Star citizen has ruined all other games for me

:therapy:

The NPSs weren't standing on their chairs and my immersion instantly broke.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sarsapariller posted:

I'm always going to post this image. This is what my Traveller-nerd 16 year old self wanted out of a space game - travel to a distant planet, pick up a rumour of an alien derelict, battle through jungles and scale peaks to discover a spacewreck perched on a mountain top holding a clue to the next stage of the adventure.

That book was full of fantastic pictures.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Yes, but did that book have amazing Chris Roberts directed helmet flipping animations?

Cos I've heard that's what real space fans want.

Buy a land claim (and use my referral code CHR1-SRAP-3M1W-ALL7)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnYNh_WbmlM

They're refactoring all the ships again :suicide:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kosumo posted:

Yes, but did that book have amazing Chris Roberts directed helmet flipping animations?

Cos I've heard that's what real space fans want.

Buy a land claim (and use my referral code CHR1-SRAP-3M1W-ALL7)

Page by page, the Chris Roberts version of that book would have had:

Page 1) Introduction by the author, beginning with "I'm not going to lie, this is the greatest book about spacewrecks anyone has ever written and because I'm self publishing it, you get four times the amount of space wrecks you'd have got if I'd sold out to Random House..." Continues in self-absolving tone to...
Page 27) Title page: "Spacewrecks - a work of genius by auteur Chris Roberts. Proofread by Christ Roberts. Funded by you."
Page 28) Credit: illustrations by Ryan Archer.
Pages 29-134) Blank but feel free to fill them in with colour crayons (not supplied as part of your pledge).

PS buy an Idris and use my referral code CHR1-SPLE-ASEF-UCKM-EOVER

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

LOL just one more way to keep on kicking the can down the road.

Seriously, these boys are showing some serious brass neck now.

EDIT: poo poo, they're really doubling down on prisons - plenty more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnYNh_WbmlM&t=473s

I'm guessing because it's an easy CryTek level design win?

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 14, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny Shiloh posted:

LOL just one more way to keep on kicking the can down the road.

Seriously, these boys are showing some serious brass neck now.

EDIT: poo poo, they're really doubling down on prisons - plenty more to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnYNh_WbmlM&t=473s

I'm guessing because it's an easy CryTek level design win?

Lol yeah they are going full speed ahead into even more Prison gameplay. They give absolutely zero fucks about player feedback at this point. They didn’t acknowledge the horrible bugs randomly sending to people to prison. gently caress you! It’s content!

The dev in charge of space prison posted:

It makes sense that prisons are awful... like worse than they are now... or even more brutal and capable of keeping you in.

Who hurt this man?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 14, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95SWMqzM_Sg

"Whistling tunes, we piss on the goons in the jungle"

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:lol: the most liked comment on that Inside Star Citizen video is

:colbert: They do not look like scammers. It makes sense why game is slowly upgrading, because one person works on like 10 sections.

:discourse:

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

colonelwest posted:

Who hurt this man?

:iiasb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Congratulations CIG. You've successfully reached the customization level of ..... Destiny 2(2017)
Oh poo poo I was wrong.......... What I meant was: In about 1 year you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

drat wrong again. You can actually earn "tint palates" in Destiny 2 by playing the game. So I guess, in about. 3 years you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

Groundbreaking tech!.