Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
so the museums in houston are all opening up this week and next

thats fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1260980521636704259?s=20

Pete's back!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where he can do no more harm, to anyone, as Sul Ross University is a phantom campus created for federal aid purposes and only exists on paper

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Reopening the state is having an effect on how people behave now.

Last time I went out, everyone I saw was wearing a mask. When I went out to get my vehicle inspected today, about half the people I saw weren't wearing a mask. About a third of those who were wearing one, were wearing them improperly (not covering their nose, hanging around their neck, etc).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This would be basically every single person in the state right
https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1261003213999931392

Also, gently caress off Paxton

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Clearly Patrick is the worst Texas official but I can’t decide on the silver medalist, Paxton, Miller, Tinderholt, or Cain. Can we just put all four in burlap sacks and throw them in the Colorado and whoever floats is the witch?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last three are all irritating clout chasers; Paxton does more tangible harm than the three of them combined

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

zoux posted:

This would be basically every single person in the state right

There's some early studies suggesting that regions like Spain only had 5% of their population get infected, and they were hit a lot harder than Texas has been so far, so... yeah, this describes almost everyone in the state right now.

But I could see a real dickhead trying to counter with "well then you just have to get an antibody test and show negative results before requesting a mail ballot", and Ken Paxton is a championship-level dickhead after all.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I know it's my own drat fault but I am having a lot of trouble realizing I live somewhere that you have to have a documented reason to vote by mail

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The government tried to help the people but the businesses refused to let them? Were they trying to test in the building? Couldn't they just set up a tent immediately off the property by the parking lot and test people there? It seems like if they were serious about testing people, they'd do it and not ask a business for permission.

Also what kind of cold hearted rear end in a top hat just says no to testing employees? The lack of empathy is shocking but not surprising. Jesus Christ burn everything down please.

EDIT: Clicking on the link is a completely different headline where they reversed course and are testing now. wtf.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

poemdexter posted:

The government tried to help the people but the businesses refused to let them? Were they trying to test in the building? Couldn't they just set up a tent immediately off the property by the parking lot and test people there? It seems like if they were serious about testing people, they'd do it and not ask a business for permission.

Also what kind of cold hearted rear end in a top hat just says no to testing employees? The lack of empathy is shocking but not surprising. Jesus Christ burn everything down please.

They reversed their decision like 15 minutes after that was reported lol, they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

zoux posted:

They reversed their decision like 15 minutes after that was reported lol, they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on.

And they would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids at the tribune!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

State updated.

+1448 infections, +58 deaths.

Tests are still higher than they have been, at +35.9k. I'm wondering if they just got a large private lab network to start reporting test numbers or something. Hopefully they aren't doing what VA has been doing and using antibody tests to dilute the testing number for a better look.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1261030239490236424?s=20

totally epic

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ah yes the industry most adversely impacted by the quarantine: podcasters

get hosed Joe Rogan

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1261058874053984258

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

If Rogan can get his fans in Texas to agitate for legal weed and psychedelic mushrooms gently caress it let him in

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Either Rogan moves here and gets weed legalized, which would own, or Rogan moves here and gets loving raided live during a podcast recording for having pounds of weed, which is hilarious and also owns.

There is no bad outcome here

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

lol

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Pete is a nice guy yall leave him alone ;(

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TropicalCoke posted:

Pete is a nice guy yall leave him alone ;(

Nice at losing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Nice at losing

;(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1261084126830092288

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1261081026526314496

:stoked:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gently caress you, Winky.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
People who die at home don't get posthumously tested for coronavirus right? The only way for a death to be attributable to covid is if they have a positive result while alive and die of complications, true?

My uncle died the other day (his body was found yesterday during a wellness check) and the denton medical examiner office guesses it's just going to be 'natural causes' on the certificate (he was mid 60s with a hard life. Smoker, drinker, diabetes, past heroin, HVAC installer/maintainer. I know he had a persistent cough this past few days, but that's about it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

People who die at home don't get posthumously tested for coronavirus right? The only way for a death to be attributable to covid is if they have a positive result while alive and die of complications, true?

True.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was thinking about this tonight; most of us graduated high school in the mid 90s to late 2000s. Who here had a 'kicker' clique at their school? I assume it's way less common now, and probably died out where I went (cedar park and leander), but looking it up it seems smaller than I even guessed; it doesn't even have its own urbandictionary page which is the end-all

edit it's primarily a suburban phenomenon of encroaching on rural communities, since them being a clique implies they're not close to a majority

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 15, 2020

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You mean Ropers? At least that was the even more polite euphemism for fake shitkickers we used.

Edit: uhhhh don’t look at urban dictionary for that

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 15, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Edit: uhhhh don’t look at urban dictionary for that

googling thicc ropers to find boots

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

i say swears online posted:

IWho here had a 'kicker' clique at their school?

I always thought it was a "kikker" after the radio station KIKK that played country music. Mine was more of a rural area turning suburban though.

It's funny seeing it written out now with so many Ks. I suppose that's fitting since I know of a few of those types that were involved with the klan.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pretty sure it comes from poo poo Kicker and yeah we had kickers at my Sugar Land high school since we bordered the rural area. That land is now McMansions and the same shopping centers repeating forever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Pretty sure it comes from poo poo Kicker and yeah we had kickers at my Sugar Land high school since we bordered the rural area. That land is now McMansions and the same shopping centers repeating forever

yeah exactly, i think it's a dying subculture

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Also from Sugar Land, graduated Clements 96, and I recall the kickers being as much just a bunch of normal suburban dudes (if maybe weighted more on the lower end of the income spectrum for the area) playing at being hicks as much as there were proper rural types.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Suburban middle manager roleplaying rural rancher is the identity of Texas

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I grew up in a small town in the middle of nowhere so we had a small normal clique and the majority were real kickers. I still see the suburban posers you are referring to now and again though in certain areas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1261305296284155904

Anybody else startin to think the lt gov gained his success through a wicked pact with slavering Moloch, Duke of Hell, and now the bill for flesh once promised has come due

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Don't read that article, it's at least ten times dumber than I thought it might be

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

FBS posted:

Don't read that article, it's at least ten times dumber than I thought it might be

quote:

Indoor arenas are a bit more complicated, but it could be worked out.

Every professional baseball and basketball stadium in Texas is now indoors and he gives no solutions in his article for those - just states that it could be 'worked out'.

The article is a fantasy and nearly all of it couldn't done logistically. Thanks for helping Dan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

I was thinking about this tonight; most of us graduated high school in the mid 90s to late 2000s. Who here had a 'kicker' clique at their school? I assume it's way less common now, and probably died out where I went (cedar park and leander), but looking it up it seems smaller than I even guessed; it doesn't even have its own urbandictionary page which is the end-all

edit it's primarily a suburban phenomenon of encroaching on rural communities, since them being a clique implies they're not close to a majority

I was in one of the first classes to attend Cedar Park High School when it opened - I would've gone to Leander for my freshman year if they hadn't opened CPHS. I don't really remember much in the way of kickers at the high school, although my older brother hated having to go to Leander's high school because it was a bunch of genuine redneck hillbillies. When I was in elementary school at Faubion, before Cedar Park started to blow up, there were a pretty good number of the sort of rural roleplayers.

I was from Jonestown, which was more poorer hippies and crazies than rural kickers. Cedar Park was more exurban turning to suburban, and as you got toward Leander you saw more actual rural people. We all went to the same schools, though.