Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Anno posted:

Looks like a pretty powerful tall Civ, though it might be one of the more map dependent. Sounds fun if you’re really into tile planning and don’t get dicked over with huge mountain ranges or islands.

And amusingly, absolutely terrible in TSL Earth, given you'd start on a peninsula next to an isthmus.

Not that balance on just one map should really be a concern when they're designing civs but I always find it funny when a Civ would be totally hosed in their starting location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Maya looks fun! I like the focus on farms for amenities, gold, housing, and campus adjacency, looks like it will encourage really big cities with high yields and lots of farms / plantations. Interesting playstyle, but it seems like planning out your 5-6 expansions is going to be fun / annoying at the same time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Double housing from farms seems pretty nice and seemingly being able to max out campus adjacencies regardless of location also seems pretty powerful.

Those yield penalties from distance though, oof.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Super Jay Mann posted:

Double housing from farms seems pretty nice and seemingly being able to max out campus adjacencies regardless of location also seems pretty powerful.

It looks like triple - 1.5 instead of .5. Still you’d need 3 farms before you bet more housing than a freshwater city with the same farms.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

I think if you rolled loyalty into culture that would just make culture way too good . Right ?

IIRC this was the way it worked in Civ 4

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Some new luxury/bonus resources from that video

I see maize and bees

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh the Observatory only has minor adjacency for farms, that's lame. At least its plantation adjacency is major so it'll be really nice in jungle starts.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh, also looks like you can see icons for Forest Fire disasters in the bottom right

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

The Glumslinger posted:

I see maize and bees

Beads?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
If those are bees the icon for them seems really weird, I can't tell what it's representing!

I'm genuinely shocked at this announcement, I really thought they were moving onto Civ7. It seems so strange that Firaxis has done this and Xcom Chimera squad both out of the blue really close together.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's totally a bees/wasps icon.

Re: asymmetric gameplay, that's exactly what Amplitude has done in all of its 4X games, and they have all benefited greatly from it as a result. Any comments regarding 'impossibility' to balance that should be addressed to multiplayer Starcraft. Really looking forward to Amplitude's Humankind, that's gonna be so great to see a direct competitor to civ again, even if it's only to light a fire under Firaxis's arse after the disappointing Civ:BE and 6 releases.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

As good as Maya looks, the lack of any housing bonuses from settling a city means they're going to have a very slow start producing all the units they need, especially if they're starting near a bunch of forests or rainforests. Probably not as bad as the Mali have it, but I'm curious to know how they'll fare in Multiplayer games.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Gran colombia has been datamined

Well of Souls already has a shitload of new information up.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Chikimiki posted:

It was in civ three at least.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Taear posted:

Sending a Soothesayer to cause a Hurricane in your enemies land sounds fun (in the Apocalypse mode)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Serephina posted:

Honey

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bluff Buster posted:

As good as Maya looks, the lack of any housing bonuses from settling a city means they're going to have a very slow start producing all the units they need, especially if they're starting near a bunch of forests or rainforests. Probably not as bad as the Mali have it, but I'm curious to know how they'll fare in Multiplayer games.

No idea about multiplayer, but hopefully the early unique unit and +5 combat strength with 6 hexes of the capital will help in single player.

You can fit a fair few cities in a 6 hex radius, and the leader bonus is written such that I think foreign former capitals also count as the capital for purposes of the +10% yields, so I don't know if this is the tall civ, exactly. In fact if taking capitals gives you another 6-hex radius' worth of +10% yields, knocking over the neighbor's capital with archers every game might just be the Right Way to Play Maya. EDIT: it says "the" capital, so I think I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure you get one capital, ever, for the purposes of this bonus.

I need to see Gran Columbia at the very least before I buy anything, but this is interesting.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 14, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

Re: asymmetric gameplay, that's exactly what Amplitude has done in all of its 4X games, and they have all benefited greatly from it as a result. Any comments regarding 'impossibility' to balance that should be addressed to multiplayer Starcraft. Really looking forward to Amplitude's Humankind, that's gonna be so great to see a direct competitor to civ again, even if it's only to light a fire under Firaxis's arse after the disappointing Civ:BE and 6 releases.

In Starcraft the economy and win conditions are identical for all races. The unit differences are what make it fun. A more apt metaphor would be if zerg produced a special Zerg mineral that was different then the protoss Crystals or the Terran Uranium or whatever and the resources were totally orthogonol between the races and that zerg won when it covered 50% of the map in creep, whereas protoss won when it built the mothership, and Terran won when it trained 100 scvs or whatever. The way starcraft is designed forces competition for resources, the way civ6 mechanics are kind of thrown together with no impact on each other is bad.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I just got a direct hit on my capital by a Cat4 Hurricane on turn 4 :what:

Normal disaster settings too

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I'll miss Pacal's sad/sinister laugh when you declare war on him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Glumslinger posted:

I just got a direct hit on my capital by a Cat4 Hurricane on turn 4 :what:

Normal disaster settings too

What damage does it actually result in? No population to kill, no districts to damage...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Chikimiki posted:

Culture wasn't Other Science in 4, mind.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Marmaduke! posted:

What damage does it actually result in? No population to kill, no districts to damage...

Added 2 fertility to my capital tile :coal:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maya look cool, but I'm a bit weirded out by the leader being Lady Six Skies. Why does she get a dull anglified name, when that didn't happen to Chief He-Who-Combs or King Turtle Destruction Wave The Very Lonely One?

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Venice was basically the One City Challenge civ, but got additional bonus's which removed the "challenge" aspect of it.

What does that have to do with anything? Should there instead have been a one city challenge civ with no bonuses, even though you could achieve that with any other civ?

Elenor had the influence machinic poorly implemented to all the civs just so they could give her a more powerful version of it for her gimmick. There was already an influence mechanic called culture that was visible on the map and had other useful benefits such as defining your territory etc. Why did influence even need to be created? What purpose is an invisible force that randomly flips cities, and why does a special district need to be created for that mechanic and most importantly how does that mechanic interact with any other aspect of the game?

Then you have a problem with the loyalty mechanic, not with Eleanor herself. Which is fair and all, though I personally liked the way it was implemented. Civ players wanted a mechanism for taking over other players' cities, which Loyalty does a lot more cleanly and predictably than something like V's implementation. It also limits expansion in a way that prevents the AI from settling garbage cities on your doorstep, but lets you forward settle in dodgy places if you pour some resources into it. I don't think it's particularly abstracted or disconnected by Civ mechanic standards.

Also, for the record, it was introduced in Rise and Fall, and Eleanor came with the next expansion, when the mechanic had been implemented for a while already.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taear posted:

Interesting how the Mayan campus has an adjacency bonus not for any wonder but a specific one.

Oh and considering the Mayans have reduced productivity after so far from the capitol...does that mean their Science Victory's Mars colony's productivity is even further reduced for being even farther from home? :v:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 15, 2020

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Interesting how the Mayan campus has an adjacency bonus not for any wonder but a specific one.

Oh and considering the Mayans have reduced productivity after so far from the capitol...does that mean their Science Victory's Mars colony's productivity is even further reduced for being even farther from home? :v:

It's not so much the Mayan campus so much that this natural wonder specifically gives an adjacency bonus to campuses, along with commercial hubs and theater squares. I'm guessing the Mali's commercial hub or Greek theaters would also get this bonus.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Regular campus districts work the same way. Pamukkale gives no tile bonuses, and instead gives amenities and adjacency bonuses to various district. IIRC, natural wonders that count as mountains give the standard mountain bonus to districts that aren't holy sites, as well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ah fair enough. Proves how I only dip my toes into Civ VI now and then these days.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I see maize and bees

Corn was already in the game what the heck

Also what’s the hammer icon on the mountain?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Could still be Gran Colombia's famous wasp farms you don't know.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What does that have to do with anything? Should there instead have been a one city challenge civ with no bonuses, even though you could achieve that with any other civ?
One City Challenge was originally a civ2 concept (you can do it in games like civ1 or Master of Magic etc as well, but it originated and gained popularity in the Civ2 community) for veterans that had mastered Diety. And the whole idea was that you were handicapping yourself intentionally and then using your knowledge of the game, particularly tech brokering and Great Library rushing, so that even with a single city you could still win. It wasn't an "alternative playstyle" or whatever. It was meant to be a challenge, Venice isn't challenging and there is a reason it's banned in multiplayer.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Starks posted:

Corn was already in the game what the heck

Also what’s the hammer icon on the mountain?

Corn was already in real life before maize too :colbert:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

In Starcraft the economy and win conditions are identical for all races. The unit differences are what make it fun. A more apt metaphor would be if zerg produced a special Zerg mineral that was different then the protoss Crystals or the Terran Uranium or whatever and the resources were totally orthogonol between the races and that zerg won when it covered 50% of the map in creep, whereas protoss won when it built the mothership, and Terran won when it trained 100 scvs or whatever. The way starcraft is designed forces competition for resources, the way civ6 mechanics are kind of thrown together with no impact on each other is bad.

Cool, so basically Amplitude titles.

Asymmetric gameplay is as old as games themselves, and any complaints of balance is mostly due to lack of post-release tweaking in a competitive environment, rather than any intrinsic aspect of asymmetry.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone post this yet? Lol.

https://redd.it/gjqu9g

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Could still be Gran Colombia's famous wasp farms you don't know.

New unit: Murder Hornet.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Corn was already in real life before maize too :colbert:

Huh? I thought they were the same thing...what am I not getting here.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gyshall posted:

Anyone post this yet? Lol.

https://redd.it/gjqu9g

Good, animating new leaders is probably a pretty big development chokepoint. They should all be still images. I turned leader animations off on my very first game. Anyone whose computer can play the leader animations without chugging, I want you to know I hope you never get a good starting location ever again.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Got this for the switch and it's un-loving-playable. After world Congress that menu practically opens every button press. You can't even place districts anymore because trying to direct the placement brings up the world Congress menu. Lol gently caress.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why are the leader screens so insanely demanding btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I dunno but they also use a lot of computer resources while they make them