Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZsD82-Hlp8&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii reported zero new cases again today because our goal here wasn't to "flatten the curve" it was to completely eliminate the virus from the islands. Sadly the only tourists we are going to be able to let back in are people from South Korea and New Zealand

Is it really such a bad thing if people from mainland USA don't visit?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder what it sounds like when a white dude says "haole"

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Inceltown posted:

Is it really such a bad thing if people from mainland USA don't visit?

For the economy: yes. For the well-being of the environment and locals: no.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Hawaii reported zero new cases again today because our goal here wasn't to "flatten the curve" it was to completely eliminate the virus from the islands. Sadly the only tourists we are going to be able to let back in are people from South Korea and New Zealand

Time to start a new confederation of Hawaiʻi and Aotearoa

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I legit don't understand people that hate masks. I'm walking around in one that looks like it's from mad max and feel like a super villain as I walk the streets. It's bad rear end.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That ratio :popeye:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Michigan Reopen protest

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

2DCAT posted:

I legit don't understand people that hate masks. I'm walking around in one that looks like it's from mad max and feel like a super villain as I walk the streets. It's bad rear end.

they dont like being told what to do

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

2DCAT posted:

some people are pugs and cannot breathe properly so masks make them freak out

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinVesey/status/1261001977598808065

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

some people are pugs and cannot breathe properly so masks make them freak out

occasionally i work for a living and they loving suck to wear in the heat when you're laboring

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the dust masks for a short period of time aren;t that bad but i don't have those and have only been able to get some cotton ones that were sewn by a friend because we live in a failed state

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

2DCAT posted:

Wearing masks is cool and good, but guaranteed you look like a giant nerd.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

2DCAT posted:

a large cohort of americans have internalized and exalted the liberal ideal of being free to do as they please to the absurdist degree of risking their own lives, and the lives of others, if it means not obeying trivial directives

see: harry r. truman, a lodge owner who, when informed by the authorities that mount saint helens was going to blow its top and bury him and his lodge twelve feet deep, stubbornly refused to evacuate and was subsequently obliterated by a pyroclastic flow. the fact that he was immortalized as a folk hero of the time for willingly killing himself via volcano rather than moving a couple miles down the road as directed is the same kind of mass psychosis you're seeing with the anti-mask/open 'er up people

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’ve been going to the hospital every three days for the last four weeks for a non-COVID reason. on my first visit they gave me a mask which I have worn on the bus and then the hospital site. my last visit this week had a woman in the waiting room given a mask but refusing to wear it because it made her too hot. it’s May in the north of England for fucks sake, it is NOT too hot.

I stood on the other side of the waiting room with my book, so I’m ok. last visit Saturday and I should be done. free mask!

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
ugh they ALL sound exactly the same "um exCUSE me I think YOU'LL find..." they all have the same voice, the same entitled speaking manner, the same entitled attitude. it sets my teeth on edge.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

ugh they ALL sound exactly the same "um exCUSE me I think YOU'LL find..." they all have the same voice, the same entitled speaking manner, the same entitled attitude. it sets my teeth on edge.

my current working theory is that they're all produced in an underground factory somewhere by a conspiracy of top americans with the intent to annoy and exasperate regular brained people

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

2DCAT posted:

they think it tells other people they're scared and they AINT SKEERED

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/jbview/status/1261075665119514628

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wearing PPE always sucks but it always works so you loving do it. Only a moron would avoid PPE, losing hearing and huffing paint fumes only owns yourself.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I love wearing a mask because I actually look somewhat intimidating in it somehow

and I can just give unmasked people this very satisfying Disappointed Look

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i had some jerk woman on a bike make some comment about if i had a cold when i was wearing a mask hiking at the state park, of course she rolled away before i had a chance to breathe on her

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Michigan Reopen protest

Race war idiots make a code word then they get so loving cute about it that people can't help but out their stupidity.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Wearing PPE always sucks but it always works so you loving do it. Only a moron would avoid PPE, losing hearing and huffing paint fumes only owns yourself.

duh but you can always take a break and take it off!!! im just saying there are valid reasons about being grouchy at having to wear a mask that don't make you a chud

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

nooneofconsequence posted:

losing Rogan will be a big blow to California's economy

Joe Rogan presidential library

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jarofpiss posted:

duh but you can always take a break and take it off!!! im just saying there are valid reasons about being grouchy at having to wear a mask that don't make you a chud

i'm an IT professional and i don't understand

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

2DCAT posted:

I know right!!!

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I've noticed, anecdotally, that chuds who do blue collar work like welding or process operator or rig hand, don't seem to mind wearing a mask. Probably because PPE/safety culture has been beaten into their heads for a few decades now. The IT/banking/desk jockey chuds are the ones super mad about the masks

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If yiz didn't see, Illinois is looking to have offices open back up on June 1 which will be an insane disaster since Chicago is the only place with reliable mass transit. Getting on the train is gonna be suicide

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bernie Panders posted:

i'm an IT professional and i don't understand

i refuse to wear my wrist brace for typing

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at train and bus users getting dat roni while i vape on the way to work with adaptive cruise turned on

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

oxsnard posted:

I've noticed, anecdotally, that chuds who do blue collar work like welding or process operator or rig hand, don't seem to mind wearing a mask. Probably because PPE/safety culture has been beaten into their heads for a few decades now. The IT/banking/desk jockey chuds are the ones super mad about the masks

i used to refuse to wear my earplugs when i was a railroader because i couldn't hear the radio and now i don't hear as well as i used to

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

i used to refuse to wear my earplugs when i was a railroader because i couldn't hear the radio and now i don't hear as well as i used to

People laugh when I say this, but oil and gas and petrochemical companies (less so with E&P) have done a really good job generally speaking over the recent past on personal safety. They still gently caress up process safety and serious systemic issues but the "actually protect workers from day to day hazards" is no joke, really loving good. Probably because it's not that expensive and on the job injuries are a logistical and financial nightmare

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

oxsnard posted:

everything they learned in their power lunch social training courses for alpha meeting posture are built around reading facial expressions.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Vermain posted:

a large cohort of americans have internalized and exalted the liberal ideal of being free to do as they please to the absurdist degree of risking their own lives, and the lives of others, if it means not obeying trivial directives

see: harry r. truman, a lodge owner who, when informed by the authorities that mount saint helens was going to blow its top and bury him and his lodge twelve feet deep, stubbornly refused to evacuate and was subsequently obliterated by a pyroclastic flow. the fact that he was immortalized as a folk hero of the time for willingly killing himself via volcano rather than moving a couple miles down the road as directed is the same kind of mass psychosis you're seeing with the anti-mask/open 'er up people

I had never heard of that! If it was purely a "This is my home, and I'm happy dying here", that'd be kind of understandable, I guess, but then there's

Harry R. Truman posted:

The mountain has shot its wad and it hasn't hurt my place a bit, but those goddamn geologists with their hair down to their butts wouldn't pay no attention to ol' Truman.

also, there's the part about how he killed his 16 cats

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 01:05 on May 15, 2020

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

oxsnard posted:

People laugh when I say this, but oil and gas and petrochemical companies (less so with E&P) have done a really good job generally speaking over the recent past on personal safety. They still gently caress up process safety and serious systemic issues but the "actually protect workers from day to day hazards" is no joke, really loving good. Probably because it's not that expensive and on the job injuries are a logistical and financial nightmare

you're right but i'm also loling that there have been like 3 major plant explosions in port arthur over the last 6 months

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

He's white though?

I'm not talking about going to jail, I'm talking about being able to just buy the poo poo at the store.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

I like how their mad the media is...covering their protest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

jarofpiss posted:

you're right but i'm also loling that there have been like 3 major plant explosions in port arthur over the last 6 months

I caveated that with process safety which is expensive and difficult for a reason. PPE, hot work, fall protection, confined space etc are pretty cheap to implement and take time away from projects more than anything. That stuff petrochemical industry is really good at