Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

IcePhoenix posted:

And alternately, Natalie's best (and possibly only) path to victory at that point was idoling out Sarah and having Ben beat Tony in fire so she could go against Michele and Ben in FTC

Lots of bad strategic play in the finale of a winners' season.

Except for Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Yeah in retrospect it’s very odd the Sophie vote wasn’t brought up. Also was Sophie alright? She looked really ill at final tribal.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Dugong posted:

Yeah in retrospect it’s very odd the Sophie vote wasn’t brought up. Also was Sophie alright? She looked really ill at final tribal.

She was ill the tribal before that and didn't even show up for it (a first in the history of the show that I recall where a juror missed a tribal).

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Caught it this morning. My most satisfying winner of all time for sure. Can't believe there were people thinking Michelle deserved it more lol. Tony outplayed her pretty hard in every aspect. I always thought Michelle got kind of screwed by the editing in her season as they clearly wanted Aubry to win and be the new Cochran but her type of game isn't proactive enough for an all winners season.

Natalie needed to play a game even better than Chris played and she came up far short. She needed to dominate every second of her return and sit beside Michelle and Ben. Not that it mattered since she would have lost to Sarah anyways but she needed to copy Chris and give up immunity to make fire. It wouldn't be seen as copying as much as the standard for the work you need to do to make up the time you weren't really playing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

She was ill the tribal before that and didn't even show up for it (a first in the history of the show that I recall where a juror missed a tribal).

It happened in season 4.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had a longer post typed up by my phone ate it. The gist of it was that I think Ben just wanted to rehab his image this season which is why he found a small group to be loyal to and stayed with it even when it should have been clear that he couldn't win against the people in that group.

Also, I think I'm most frustrated with Jeremy. I just don't understand his gameplay just before his boot. And although obviously nobody is "owed" a vote, he probably owed Michelle a vote in that final tribal. After all Michelle played an HII for him and then was willing to give up her 50/50 token to him to try an save himself even though she was kind of forced into voting him at the time. And instead Jeremy votes for the guy that used him and his group to vote out Sophie, and then directly used Jeremy to vote out Kim before getting stabbed in the back himself.

And while I don't think Michelle deserved to win with Tony in the finals, I still feel like she should have gotten a couple of votes because she had to fight for her place in the game at pretty much every turn, especially after the merge and I feel like that deserves a bit of respect.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jeremy voted for Natalie because they're friends

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

xbilkis posted:

Maybe I read the votes wrong, i thought he voted Tony. I still think he should have voted for Michelle who did almost everything in her power to keep him in the game several times.

Edit - a little less frustrated at Jeremy for his final vote, but his gameplay still sucked at the end.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Sand Monster posted:

That must have been truly miserable for her. To have gone through almost the entire game and then have that happen. Grim.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
One silver lining is that Miserable Sophie + A jury that cracked up at everything Tony said created a sort of Jack & Jill 2.0 experience

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For some reason when it came to Natty I was thinking of Terry's first season a lot.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dugong posted:

I don't think she spoke at all during FTC that we saw, right

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Michele posted:

I knew that Adam, Nick, Wendell, and Danni were actually on the cusp of voting for me, and they voted for Tony. And I've talked to them about this post-game. They all, as soon as the votes were read, and they came to me and they told me that there was a situation that Natalie could have potentially won. So instead, they sided with Tony, just to make sure that the right person won the season.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I want to hear that from them.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sure thing, Michele. At least you / they acknowledge that the right person won.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lol

quote:

-Ben said the real reason he didn’t trust Jeremy was because day one, when everyone got on the beach, he approached Jeremy and basically said “I’m a huge fan of yours, I want to work together. Me and you can link up with Sarah and tony on the other side and make a heroes alliance. Let’s take this to the end” and Jeremy said sure but the moment Ben walked away he caught Jeremy looking at the camera and do a “get a load of this guy/who is this clown” type reaction

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gjp0qu/thread_of_interesting_things_players_have/

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sand Monster posted:

Sure thing, Michele. At least you / they acknowledge that the right person won.

I don't think anyone who has said Michelle should have gotten a couple votes has said they believe that Michelle should have beaten Tony. I personally would have just rather seen like an 8-4-4 vote or 12-2-2 vote or something. Just a little love thrown Michelle's way for fighting all the way to the end and everything the game.

Hell, I'll be completely honest and say that it kind of sucks that the official finish for the game is Tony, Nat, Michelle when Michelle should be in second just for being in the actual game the whole time. Nat is great and all, but she absolutely does not deserve second place over Michelle.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

xbilkis posted:

Natalie is the godmother to one of Jeremy's kids I believe. You gotta vote for the godmother of your kids no matter what

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder who gets her name misspelled more, Michele or Aubry.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wonder who gets her name misspelled more, Michele or Aubry.

I mean, poo poo, even Michele's parents misspelled her name!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
It makes sense that Tony got so few votes during the season; I don't think it says anything about whether he was well-liked or not. He had immunity 4 times, and his idols were fairly public knowledge.

I think Michele played a surprisingly good game, but I don't know that it was better than either Natalie's or Tony's.

I would have preferred a Natalie win. Something I'm surprised to be saying, given how much I hated twinnies. She's grown a lot as a person, and she played a good game from the edge. I'm not a fan of Tony's style of play and I think it's kinda gross that Sarah is so loyal to him, especially after he had Sophie voted out just because she and Sophie were becoming friends and he didn't want Sophie getting some control over her. Her speech about women doesn't mean as much when you add that in.

At the begging of the episode, I found the zoom shot with everyone entertaining - everyone had chosen a modest background of a plain wall or something, except for Tony and Adam, who chose to show off their big houses instead.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Danni is spilling some juicy drama on instagram live, including this:

- Parvati bought two jars of peanut butter with the 4 tokens from the 50/50 challenge. One jar was to be shared between Parvati, Ethan, and Danni, and the other jar was to be shared between Rob, Amber and Natalie. Natalie and Rob ate all of theirs and they barely gave Amber anything. They then stole Danni, Ethan, and Parvati's peanut butter and ate all of what was left (these three were rationing it fairly). Natalie also had her own jar during this time. *THIS PART WAS NOT IN THE LIVE* but I think the rules got broken here and production either didn't know about it or didn't do anything about it. The peanut butter was purchased under the same premise of an idol or advantage, and it's not fair that Parvati and Danni's fire tokens were effectively stolen by Rob and Natalie.

- YUL AND NATALIE HAD A MAJOR FIGHT. Yul went to get the rice from the mountain when Adam got voted out, he offered to take Adam to get the rice and it took forever. Natalie was SO mad that they took too long to get the rice and when he came back she screamed at him calling him selfish, saying that all he ever does is stay by himself and go fishing all day. Got so bad to the point where Wendell stepped in and told Natalie to drop it. This is what caused Natalie to lose those 3 votes and probably lose the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gjxxn8/behind_the_scenes_info_from_dannis_instagram_live/

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Danni is spilling some juicy drama on instagram live, including this:

- Parvati bought two jars of peanut butter with the 4 tokens from the 50/50 challenge. One jar was to be shared between Parvati, Ethan, and Danni, and the other jar was to be shared between Rob, Amber and Natalie. Natalie and Rob ate all of theirs and they barely gave Amber anything. They then stole Danni, Ethan, and Parvati's peanut butter and ate all of what was left (these three were rationing it fairly). Natalie also had her own jar during this time. *THIS PART WAS NOT IN THE LIVE* but I think the rules got broken here and production either didn't know about it or didn't do anything about it. The peanut butter was purchased under the same premise of an idol or advantage, and it's not fair that Parvati and Danni's fire tokens were effectively stolen by Rob and Natalie.

- YUL AND NATALIE HAD A MAJOR FIGHT. Yul went to get the rice from the mountain when Adam got voted out, he offered to take Adam to get the rice and it took forever. Natalie was SO mad that they took too long to get the rice and when he came back she screamed at him calling him selfish, saying that all he ever does is stay by himself and go fishing all day. Got so bad to the point where Wendell stepped in and told Natalie to drop it. This is what caused Natalie to lose those 3 votes and probably lose the game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/gjxxn8/behind_the_scenes_info_from_dannis_instagram_live/

She also mentions there was a mean girls clique which if Nat reacted that way over the rice thing I would assume she was in

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
- Had skin cancer because of her time on Edge.

loving. Hell.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think one of the flaws of the edge and the fire token system this season is that although Natalie got a decent amount of airtime by virtue of winning so much, a big portion of it was dedicated to pretty rigid stuff they would have shown either way. Talking about challenges, explaining the mechanics of an advantage, walking through the decision of who to play it on...I honestly was kind of surprised when she came back and made the finals, because I figured they would have shown more of her personality if she was gonna reenter and emerge as someone with an outside shot of winning

During the final TC, when Amber or someone was talking about how Natalie had alienated a really specific group of people on the edge, I was completely caught off guard and bummed out that they hadn't shown anything to even hint at that for a viewer. Maybe they couldn't have aired the peanut butter thing if there was a legit production error involved, but the Yul blowup or anything else would have been a good thing to include to 1) make her a well rounded character and 2) help the viewer understand why she ended up coming up short

Part of Natalie's charm to me is that she's kind of a naturally abrasive person, so maybe I'm more interested in that kind of thing than the average viewer would be

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

- It was actually Tyson, Parvati, and Danni who were the closest in the first returnee challenge - it was edited to be Rob though.

hm

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Watched the finale, finally.

I think I would've liked a Natalie win more, but honestly what I'm saddest about out of that finale is that Michelle didn't get votes. Like, considering the limb she put herself on for several jury members, that's gotta fuckin' sting

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

to be fair I do remember she was allegedly on the short list for heroes vs villains and caramoan at those times.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
it's hard for me to wrap my head around anyone wanting a natalie win. nothing against her, it would have made watching the whole season feel like a waste of time.

michele deserved more votes. ultimately glad it was tony, though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The number of votes you got at the end isn't necessarily reflective of how comparatively well you played the game. Getting zero votes doesn't mean you were awful and didn't deserve recognition. Michele can play a good game, but if Tony played a loving fantastic game, everyone is going to put their one vote on him.

If the jury got to pick their first and second pick, her game would have been better reflected in the vote totals.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

michele, in the fans eyes, will *always* deserve second place.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when is the last time we had a no-goat final three like this though where everyone sitting there had a good argument for a winner's resume? the closest i can think of prior to this is maybe ghost island?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OFFICER LIGER posted:

michele, in the fans eyes, will *always* deserve second place.

The jury is never wrong. That's how Survivor works. The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

The number of votes you got at the end isn't necessarily reflective of how comparatively well you played the game. Getting zero votes doesn't mean you were awful and didn't deserve recognition. Michele can play a good game, but if Tony played a loving fantastic game, everyone is going to put their one vote on him.

If the jury got to pick their first and second pick, her game would have been better reflected in the vote totals.

Yes, but getting 0 votes and coming in third does actually affect how much money you make in the game iirc. The difference between the two is 15k during regular seasons, so it might be doubled during this season.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 15, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah, in a typical season.

1: 1mil
2: 100k
3: 85k
last: somewhere around 2,500 - 4,000

+10k for all players at the reunion.

I imagine this season was very different for a number of obvious reasons. I'm willing to bet some big names that got out early still got paid more than Michele.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Adus posted:

it's hard for me to wrap my head around anyone wanting a natalie win. nothing against her, it would have made watching the whole season feel like a waste of time.

michele deserved more votes. ultimately glad it was tony, though.

She managed to still play the game from the edge. She absolutely killed the endurance challenges they had out there. She kept herself in good shape. She found almost all of the hidden items, allowing her to manipulate what was going on in the main game and get a ton of tokens for it. She just lacked in the social game, apparently.

Zesty posted:

- Had skin cancer because of her time on Edge.

loving. Hell.

This doesn't surprise me at all :( I would be surprised if she was the only one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zesty posted:

The jury is never wrong. That's how Survivor works. The jury doesn’t just reward whoever plays the best game. It determines who played the best game.

It determines who they vote for, not who played the best game, and the jury is neither right nor wrong. The jury isn't arbiting best player or gameplay, they are simply casting one public vote for who they want to win, for any reason. It's like an upvote on reddit, supposedly there's some criteria you're supposed to use that button for but in practice you can hit or not whenever you want for any or no reason. That's why there are always discussions about the jury and votes, why we have emotional reactions to the results in the end. We all have ideas of what a vote "should" be about, but you can't control the basis people vote form in this format of simply writing a name.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

when is the last time we had a no-goat final three like this though where everyone sitting there had a good argument for a winner's resume? the closest i can think of prior to this is maybe ghost island?

Oh man Laurel was drawing dead and the only person who would remotely think otherwise might be Laurel.

Honestly it might be China. Gabon would be there but everyone hated Sugar despite her pulling all the strings, HvV might be there but everyone hated Russell because he's a troll, and DvG might be there but everyone got tired of Angelina.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Goat is in the eye of the beholder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

quote:

This from Michele:

I knew that Adam, Nick, Wendell, and Danni were actually on the cusp of voting for me, and they voted for Tony. And I've talked to them about this post-game. They all, as soon as the votes were read, and they came to me and they told me that there was a situation that Natalie could have potentially won. So instead, they sided with Tony, just to make sure that the right person won the season.

Welp, I feel good at least about predicting that jury's concerns about how the public would perceive their votes and the chosen winner. I think even if Nat hadn't had friction and drama a few times while on the Edge, and then came back and done perfect game, sent self and beat fire, the whole deal, there still would've been people voting on the basis of being concerned other people were voting for the EoE person.