Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Talk to your loan servicer, a lot of them have put forbearance options in place because of covid, including not collecting of defaulted loans, so if you went into default recently it might be reversable.

That said, I doubt paying it in full would remove the default from your credit history, that's what rehabilitation if for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I registered a domain name through squarespace. My renewal is coming up. Is there a cheaper alternative to where I can keep my domain name? I'm just confused about if I have to stick with squarespace. I have a lot of spare time, and I was thinking about teaching myself how to design a web-site. I know html, but it seems like web-design has kind of progressed beyond that? I was looking at Wordpress. Where the hell do I get started?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I registered a domain name through squarespace. My renewal is coming up. Is there a cheaper alternative to where I can keep my domain name? I'm just confused about if I have to stick with squarespace. I have a lot of spare time, and I was thinking about teaching myself how to design a web-site. I know html, but it seems like web-design has kind of progressed beyond that? I was looking at Wordpress. Where the hell do I get started?
Generally speaking domain name pricing (on renewals especially) hardly differs at all provider-to-provider, it's basically up to the owner of the TLD (the .com or .io or whatever) to determine the price. So just keep it wherever is easy for you. If you're paying squarespace for more than domain renewal that'll depend on what you want, I guess.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/ is good for learning JavaScript and Responsive Web Design, if that's the side you're looking for.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Does SA have a thread for typewriters? I want troubleshooting help and I refuse to join Reddit.

Bioshuffle posted:

You're not locked into Squarespace forever (although I don't know how you'd want to go about porting out your data, if you have a lot of it). Transferring the domain is mostly a matter of getting an authorization code from Squarespace and giving it to whatever new service provider you end up using. Cheapo shared hosting will usually have one-click Wordpress install so you don't even have to do real computer stuff, just click a button and login and then customize it. It's super popular so there's a million free themes, you really don't have to know anything.

Just for reference I pay about $35 a year for a small Wordpress site using a host I found in SA-Mart.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Does SA have a thread for typewriters? I want troubleshooting help and I refuse to join Reddit.

You're not locked into Squarespace forever (although I don't know how you'd want to go about porting out your data, if you have a lot of it). Transferring the domain is mostly a matter of getting an authorization code from Squarespace and giving it to whatever new service provider you end up using. Cheapo shared hosting will usually have one-click Wordpress install so you don't even have to do real computer stuff, just click a button and login and then customize it. It's super popular so there's a million free themes, you really don't have to know anything.

Just for reference I pay about $35 a year for a small Wordpress site using a host I found in SA-Mart.

That's so much cheaper than what I'm paying right now. My web-site really doesn't have that much information on it, just some old pictures I've taken. How complicated is the process of transferring over? I just don't want to lose my domain address, but I'm at a loss as to what to do since I registered the domain originally through squarespace.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Bioshuffle posted:

That's so much cheaper than what I'm paying right now. My web-site really doesn't have that much information on it, just some old pictures I've taken. How complicated is the process of transferring over? I just don't want to lose my domain address, but I'm at a loss as to what to do since I registered the domain originally through squarespace.

It's not really that complicated, it looks like Squarespace lets you export a file that you can then import into Wordpress. You could even temporarily make a free site on wordpress.com to test the import as an intermediate step before buying new hosting and transferring the domain. Hell, if messing around on wordpress.com leaves you thinking you'd be satisfied just keeping it there, a site with a custom domain is $48 annually and might save you some trouble.

Squarespace doesn't own your domain (or host it or anything like that), they're just the go-between that you registered through. Like how AT&T doesn't own phone numbers, if that makes sense.

Everett False fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 12, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I found this figure while out walking today. It's stamped "1997 - Saban" so I'm assuming it's Power Ranger related maybe? Anybody know?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mister Kingdom posted:

I found this figure while out walking today. It's stamped "1997 - Saban" so I'm assuming it's Power Ranger related maybe? Anybody know?

Based on this ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-6-MASKED-RIDER-KFC-KIDS-MEAL-Toys-Saban-Ferbus-Magno-1997-VGUC-FREE-Ship-/143424688109

It looks like it's a KFC figure from Masked Rider, which was a similar localization to Power Rangers, but of Kamen Rider instead of Super Sentai. I'd assume it's the "glow in the dark x-ray Cyclopter" one of the six by process of elimination. I can't find much more about it though.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Whats the thing in the middle? The circle thing. It's from a train from the 70s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Whats the thing in the middle? The circle thing. It's from a train from the 70s.

Vector CRT

Look up “oscilloscope”.

What is it displaying? I don’t know. Some railfan somewhere does.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Ah, thanks!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nighthand posted:

Based on this ebay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-6-MASKED-RIDER-KFC-KIDS-MEAL-Toys-Saban-Ferbus-Magno-1997-VGUC-FREE-Ship-/143424688109

It looks like it's a KFC figure from Masked Rider, which was a similar localization to Power Rangers, but of Kamen Rider instead of Super Sentai. I'd assume it's the "glow in the dark x-ray Cyclopter" one of the six by process of elimination. I can't find much more about it though.

Okay, thanks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Is there a thread for helping people find lost internet stuff/videos?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Is there a thread for helping people find lost internet stuff/videos?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895038

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Thanks!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Grevlek posted:

Apparently in all the COVID fun, I've defaulted on my student loans!

I am in default on an amount of 2,500, and honestly I can probably pay it in full. The FAFSA website talks about 'Loan Rehabilitation' and it appears to offer a number of positive benefits, when you are enrolled in the program for 9 months.

Would it be better to pay the amount in full today and be done, or to take the rehabilitation option for whatever benefits?

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/default/get-out#credit-history-impact

Based on this link, it suggests the Rehabilitation program will remove the default from my Credit History, but Loan Consolidation will not.

Will paying the amount in full also remove it from my Credit History?

I defaulted on my loans a while back. I believe that going with the rehabilitation is the way to go. If you just pay in full now it will more than likely be marked as paid in full but you'll have those marks of late payment. If you take the program and do the 10 months they require it'll be like you never defaulted or missed a payment. I would confirm this but that's how it worked for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I get YouTube to stop toggling the autoplay switch to on? As far as I can tell it only happens on desktop. I can't find any account-level settings, but possibly I'm missing it. I doesn't switch on every time I watch a video, but often enough to drive me crazy. I want it always off!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

How do I get YouTube to stop toggling the autoplay switch to on? As far as I can tell it only happens on desktop. I can't find any account-level settings, but possibly I'm missing it. I doesn't switch on every time I watch a video, but often enough to drive me crazy. I want it always off!

I think it's browser-specific, so if you always watch from the same browser on the same computer then it'll stay off but as soon as you switch browsers or computers or load a private window it'll be on again.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

If you delete your cookies, it will reenable it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a flight booked on Delta for a moving-related trip on memorial day weekend. They changed my itinerary and added 2 extra layover cities - lol but I understand. However! leg 2 takes off hours before leg 1 leaves my home airport. So, uh, impossible itinerary.

Anyway I no longer need to make the trip and I want to cancel, and Delta is offering no cancellation fee and credit that lasts 2 years. Fine.

But, the cancellation tool on their website - which they even sent me a nice email last week inviting me to check out - doesn't work.

Honestly my first thought was "Delta is sabotaging their own system so people can't cancel :tinfoil:" because I know they're hurting financially, but I think it is actually screwed up specifically for me, because they changed my itinerary to one that's impossible, and now my trip data seems kind of glitchy. Like I got the missingno flight and everything for me is glitching out now. I don't see any chorus of anger on the internet about the online cancellation system not working so it really might just be me.

Their phone line is quoting me a wait time of 10 hours.

It's been this way for many tries 4 days in a row now.

I'm not sure what other recourse I have. I tried to call my credit card company and ask for a chargeback since Delta is not rendering services, and they told me to file a claim, but the claim process seems to be for refunds for travel I already cancelled due to illness, so I don't think it applies.

Any thoughts? Is there a better thread to ask for this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It's probably something else, but have you tried from a different browser? It's the sort of error message that reminds me of when I have disabled too much JavaScript crap and I try to do a payment somewhere or something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah I tried it from my phone's chrome and my computer's Firefox. I guess I haven't tried the computer's chrome yet.

e: Yeah, same deal on chrome on my laptop. I even tried going to delta.com from scratch and putting in my info to find the flight, rather than clicking the email in their link - same result.

I actually got quoted a 3 hour wait time by the robot guy at Delta, by far the shortest one they said yet, so I am going for it. Wish me luck. If it doesn't work out (with my luck they'll pick up after 3 hours and say they can't hear me or some poo poo and hang up), I'm still interested if anyone knows any other avenues to fix this.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 13, 2020

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, can I just superglue frameless glasses back together?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I'm trying to apply for a mail in ballot on my state's website.

When I get to this step, the address isn't correct (I moved last year), but if I click "NO", it just sends me back to step 1?

What do?

greazeball posted:

Looks like changing the address is a different process from confirming it, dunno if that's the DMV change of address form or if you need a different thing. Probably just call them or use the contact form.

An update to this for anyone that may run into the same problem, I needed to change my address on the DMV website; a few days later the correct address shows in the application form.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

YggiDee posted:

Hey, can I just superglue frameless glasses back together?

The reason they are in two pieces appears to be the two fasteners that hold the lens to the bridge have worked loose and fallen out. I'd suggest finding replacement fasteners and putting them back together with those. And check the other fasteners to see if they need to be tightened.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Is it possible/practical to keep dress shirts tucked in and firm to the skin through a sit/stand cycle, without wearing those elastic things that clip to your foot/shoe?

I'm reflecting on how I dislike business casual, and am trying to figure out if this is a quirk of my build, a faulty habit, or inevitable. Also, neckties look so stupid.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dominoes posted:

Is it possible/practical to keep dress shirts tucked in and firm to the skin through a sit/stand cycle, without wearing those elastic things that clip to your foot/shoe?

I'm reflecting on how I dislike business casual, and am trying to figure out if this is a quirk of my build, a faulty habit, or inevitable. Also, neckties look so stupid.

Tuck your undershirt into your underwear. Then it won't pull the dress shirt out.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

That, also maybe you need a longer shirt, or better (i.e. tighter) fitting pants? I've only ever had that problem with shirts that turned out to be too short for me

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Dominoes posted:

They make garter style shirt stays if the hangup is wearing stirrup style. I remember the rotzis at my school wore a weird belt around the bottom of their asses that their shirts clipped to but google is failing me on what those things were.

Other than that, you just have to get used to retucking every time you stand up because mens business clothes are ridiculously unfunctional and we should have moved on from them fifty years ago.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Dominoes posted:

I’ve found a good fitting pair of suspenders fixes this problem.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’ve found a good fitting pair of suspenders fixes this problem.

Suspenders are actually really good at helping your posture, and making pants / shirts comfortable. I recommend getting a good pair of suspenders, they will last you a life time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife ordered some used books from eBay, and they reek of cigarette smoke. We've aired them out on our back porch for a few hours, which has helped the covers, but the insides still smell. Is there any way to deodorize the whole batch?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
https://www.amazon.com/Ozium-Air-Freshener-Sanitizer-oz/dp/B0143M9KP6

This poo poo works on every smell

but be careful it melts the membranes in your lungs and eyes I think if you breathe it too much.

E: or that's an old stoner tall tale.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

hooah posted:

My wife ordered some used books from eBay, and they reek of cigarette smoke. We've aired them out on our back porch for a few hours, which has helped the covers, but the insides still smell. Is there any way to deodorize the whole batch?

Air them out for a lot longer, we're talking days here.
I'm an ex smoker and smoke gets in everything and takes a while to get rid of but it will go, it just takes time. Sun and fresh air will do the job eventually.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Boba Pearl posted:

Suspenders are actually really good at helping your posture, and making pants / shirts comfortable. I recommend getting a good pair of suspenders, they will last you a life time.

And with a nice bow-tie they look super dapper!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That Ozium stuff seems to be unavailable, so we'll continue airing them out.

Helith posted:

Air them out for a lot longer, we're talking days here.
I'm an ex smoker and smoke gets in everything and takes a while to get rid of but it will go, it just takes time. Sun and fresh air will do the job eventually.

I'm not surprised. Do we have to make an effort to open each page of each book, or will airing it still work, albeit more slowly?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
When people with prosopagnosia see identical twins, can they tell that they look alike?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Motronic posted:

The reason they are in two pieces appears to be the two fasteners that hold the lens to the bridge have worked loose and fallen out. I'd suggest finding replacement fasteners and putting them back together with those. And check the other fasteners to see if they need to be tightened.

Thanks, very informative! I ended up going the glue route anyway, because without my glasses I can't really see well enough to do a repair like that :v:. Also no credit card, can't get fasteners from amazon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

YggiDee posted:

because without my glasses I can't really see well enough to do a repair like that :v:.

I was going to ask if you had another pair, because aint no way you'd be able to see that to fix it otherwise..... Those screws are nearly microscopic.

Can always put them in later when you can get out to buy some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
These are my backup glasses from 2006, I lost my regular pair in January and what with this whole situation it seems like a bad time for, say, an eye exam.