Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm laughing at natalie pissing people off on eoe.
I gotta watch her season again and probably others but at this point it will require so much time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Ben basically confirms that he wanted to leave F5 to avoid getting raked over the coals by the jury:

quote:

Absolutely. When Michele's getting all these game tokens, and I'm getting disadvantaged from the Edge played on me, you can kind of gauge as how the jury — because that's who's over there on the Edge — is perceiving your game. And so when Natalie came back in and told us everything about what was going on, I knew I wasn't respected on the jury. I played very hard, I built a lot of relationships, and then those relationships fell apart and ultimately ended up hurting me in the long run. And so I really didn't want to go and get crucified. At the end of the jury, with the way I conducted my game, I just wanted to get to the end, kind of deal. And so I knew I was in for a hurting.

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-ben-driebergen-finale-winners-at-war-interview/

You know, I get it. If I was F5 and knew I had no shot to win, I would rather leave than get destroyed at FTC like Dawn in Caramoan or Laurel in Ghost Island.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hate Ben and the bizarre warping effect his move had at the end, but like, everyone's at fault for letting him get that far to begin with perhaps. I also get that kind of destructive giving up. I've played board games and been in a position to never possibly win so it becomes more fun to just stymy my rivals and help my allies/rivals'-enemies. I think Ben's move really just kind of weakened everyone's game in a way. Tony already had an easy ride to the end and Ben's poo poo was just another boon to an Alliance that already had all the power.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

>>We are bringing back Awful Survivor after a three year hiatus!<<

If you guys have ever wanted to see how you'd fare, this is a great opportunity, and also a real fun experience! Cash prizes, free food, new friendships, there's much to be had playing this game! We're accepting signups now, expecting to launch at the beginning of June.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Ben basically confirms that he wanted to leave F5 to avoid getting raked over the coals by the jury:

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-ben-driebergen-finale-winners-at-war-interview/

You know, I get it. If I was F5 and knew I had no shot to win, I would rather leave than get destroyed at FTC like Dawn in Caramoan or Laurel in Ghost Island.

the best part of this, aside from Ben being a soggy bottom baby, is that the disadvantage was played on him by Nick, a player still in the game and not from edge

what a fuckin wiener

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

JOHN CENA posted:

If you guys have ever wanted to see how you'd fare, this is a great opportunity, and also a real fun experience! Cash prizes, free food, new friendships, there's much to be had playing this game! We're accepting signups now, expecting to launch at the beginning of June.

yes very good

now is the best time to join this since we're all still probably stuck at home for a while still anyway

the question is, do i risk ruining my reputation even further

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I simply do not understand how online survivor could work. Is it like, you roleplay in chat?

I sit on log. I talk about what I want to eat when I get home. I scoop myself the best rice off the top and give the lovely bottom burnt rice to Crebis.

The immunity challenges and voting I can see, plenty of online games to play as a challenge and voting is obvious. What's the middle part?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Khanstant posted:

I simply do not understand how online survivor could work. Is it like, you roleplay in chat?

I sit on log. I talk about what I want to eat when I get home. I scoop myself the best rice off the top and give the lovely bottom burnt rice to Crebis.

The immunity challenges and voting I can see, plenty of online games to play as a challenge and voting is obvious. What's the middle part?

there's no roleplaying. it's impossible to replicate the actual 'survival' part. it's more about the social.

you say you can imagine challenges and voting. so how do you decide to vote someone out? how do you avoid getting voted out? social maneuvering. forming alliances, etc.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

JOHN CENA posted:

:eyepop:

For a second I thought this was the theme of season 41, somewhere in middle of nowhere America.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

JOHN CENA posted:

In the game I played I tried to convince someone to flip because they were clearly at the bottom of their majority alliance. They were voted out right after me. All pre-merge.

It's fun. Come jump in.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 15, 2020

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The time difference make me an awful player in these Awful games but it sounds fun to watch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Imagine how different the game turns out if Ben won F5 immunity instead of Tony.

Presumably the idea is still to stack three votes on Michele, but Sarah doesn't have Ben's permission to vote him out, and there's no way she'd turn on Tony. So either Natalie misplays her idol like normal and Michele goes, and then she wins immunity, presumably forcing Ben and Tony to make fire. Either Ben wins because he's a beast at fire and then Sarah wins the season, or he has his heart play out, does a half-hearted attempt and deliberately loses to Tony, and then we get Cops R' Us in the final.

Or Natalie correctly plays her idol, Tony goes out at F5, and then Natalie forces Ben and Sarah to make fire.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
heck, i'll give awful survivor a shot. Submitting my info now

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Adus posted:

it's hard for me to wrap my head around anyone wanting a natalie win.

It was the second preference to me next to a Tony win (which was absurdly higher in terms of comparison) just for the idea of seeing the absolute pandemonium it would have caused. Probst is comically over defensive and stubborn, thinking that his ideas are gospel and beyond reproach. He had already taken a "you're all wrong when you say it's a terrible idea, but fine, I'll take my ball and go home if you hate it so much" approach to EoE in general even before this season aired, but seeing his reaction when it would have ruined an all winners season.... I can't imagine. That, and I had visions of Photoshopping him onto Fonzie for a "Jump the Shark" meme, because that's what it would have been had Natalie won.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JesusSinfulHands posted:

- YUL AND NATALIE HAD A MAJOR FIGHT. Yul went to get the rice from the mountain when Adam got voted out, he offered to take Adam to get the rice and it took forever. Natalie was SO mad that they took too long to get the rice and when he came back she screamed at him calling him selfish, saying that all he ever does is stay by himself and go fishing all day. Got so bad to the point where Wendell stepped in and told Natalie to drop it. This is what caused Natalie to lose those 3 votes and probably lose the game.
what if instead of using EoE as a cheat code to bond with the entire jury, using it to make enemies instead :thunk:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Khanstant posted:

You make social bonds by talking about video games and anime or whatever, and there's plenty of room to do all the strategic part

I've only seen one game that ended up trying to incorporate "survival," where people had to choose each round to go to the water well, or fishing, or stoke the fire. And then you only could talk to the people who went the same place as you, and you had rice you could eat, and all this fed into your stamina score, and then you spent stamina in the challenges. But you still didn't really role play like you were on an island, you just chatted with people to make bonds and voted people out. That part translates very well which I guess why wouldn't it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What does the "Mafia" part mean exactly? I've never been to that subforum before.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finally finished watching the finale.

Natalie got screwed. Tony played a good game, but Natalie had to survive on EoE and those challenges were so so SO much harder than on the "normal" game, and she destroyed those. She was there the entire freakin time doing nothing but winning and gaining tokens. She somehow gets back into the game to win the final challenge and dominate to get into the finals? That's insane. Her resume from EoE was enough to win over Tony or anyone else, but to make it to the finals on top of that?

I have no idea how she didn't win other than she must have pissed off people on EoE. Either by jealousy or simply because she was a total bitch and they didn't show that to us at all? A lot of it doesn't make sense, and if it's because they didn't show it to us then the show itself needs some serious work because what was otherwise an amazing season turned out to be another Game of Thrones ending.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 15, 2020

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No offense, but Natalie did not get screwed. Tony completely dominated the game from the merge on and frankly, play inside of the game is way more important than EoE play.

While the EoE people may have had some tough challenges, they also don't have to deal with the intense mental pressure of being inside the game. Of constantly being paranoid and worried that you're going to be voted out. Of constantly having to think not just about today, but the next day and the day after that and how your actions might affect your own survival. All you have to do on EoE is be alive.

As someone else pointed out, being inside the game is playing a competitive game while being on EoE is playing more of a cooperative game.

While I would have laughed at a Natalie win because she is kind of amusing, I also would have been kind of upset about it because in the end, she got voted out on Day 2 and came back into the game on Day 36, which means she literally only played 5 days of the actual game and spent 34 days on EoE.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

It’s entirely down to the jury for who deserves to win :shrug:

Rob’s voting confessional made it pretty clear: for him, he couldn’t give Nat the vote because her game after getting back wasn’t perfect. That’s what he need to justify swapping from Tony.

Even if Edge was harder, it’s the loser’s bracket that Tony never fell into.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm pretty sure Natalie got like 50% of her fire tokens just by being the first person to run to a landmark at the end. Then she got back into the game just barely even though she had a stack of advantages from the fire tokens. She really is extremely fit but I mean ideally "Survivor winner" should have a different skillset than just "Crossfit champ." I suppose if you're a viewer whose favorite part of the show is the challenges I could see the case for Nat, but even then, Tony won a lot of immunities!

Raxivace posted:

What does the "Mafia" part mean exactly? I've never been to that subforum before.
Just like how you have Survivor: China and Survivor: Tocantins or whatever, as kind of a joke Cena picks different subforum for Awful Survivor games, so you've got like Awful Survivor: BYOB etc. It's just a theme/flavor, and I guess this time the theme/flavor is gonna be The Game Room where people play a lot of mafia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)) online here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If anything, Natalie losing further shows how impressive Chris' win on Edge was. Natalie messed up socially by isolating herself on the Edge towards the end. She also didn't take the risk of putting herself in fire that Chris did, which sounds like a big gamble but when you only played 2 days before getting voted out, you need to swing for the fences.

Not saying that time spent on the Edge wasn't hard, but Natalie was voted out 1st; she needed arguably an even bigger resume than what Chris had on EoE, and she didn't land it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

If anything, Natalie losing further shows how impressive Chris' win on Edge was.

I'm in on this, too. Obviously different season, different competition, etc., but that goes without saying.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

If anything, Natalie losing further shows how impressive Chris' win on Edge was.

To be fair, Chris was also in a final three with Noura who was never going to get votes. The only reason Chris won is because he was able to beat Devens at fire and the jury was left with a rather unpleasant choice. Rick Devens was the clear winner of that season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TMMadman posted:

To be fair, Chris was also in a final three with Noura who was never going to get votes. The only reason Chris won is because he was able to beat Devens at fire and the jury was left with a rather unpleasant choice. Rick Devens was the clear winner of that season.

Noura wasn't even on that season, I think you mean Julie.

Rick had the clear jury favourite because of his underdog story, but he also made those critical errors in the last few days. And honestly, his social game was arguably worse than Mike Holloway's. Mike at least made some allies.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry it was Julie. Either way, it was someone who was unlikely to receive votes while the WaW final tribal had 3 live players who all legitimately could have won.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

victoria was robbed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinterest Mom posted:

victoria was robbed

didn't she get voted out

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

didn't she get voted out

So did Natalie!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Natalie didn't win and wasn't robbed though

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
It's kinda funny how apparently Natalie was stealing food while Chris was feeding people when he was on EoE so it's not really clear who even played EoE better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Natalie didn't win and wasn't robbed though

:thejoke:

(saying Natalie got robbed is loving ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as saying Michele should have won)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

(saying Natalie got robbed is loving ridiculous, almost as ridiculous as saying Michele should have won)

I think pmom was being serious though and I still don't get the connection to natalie :shrug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Adus posted:

there's no roleplaying. it's impossible to replicate the actual 'survival' part. it's more about the social.

you say you can imagine challenges and voting. so how do you decide to vote someone out? how do you avoid getting voted out? social maneuvering. forming alliances, etc.

I'm entering the game because I really just have no clue or frame of reference for this experience and frankly, it's pissing me off to not have it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If anything, Natalie losing further shows how impressive Chris' win on Edge was. Natalie messed up socially by isolating herself on the Edge towards the end. She also didn't take the risk of putting herself in fire that Chris did, which sounds like a big gamble but when you only played 2 days before getting voted out, you need to swing for the fences.

Not saying that time spent on the Edge wasn't hard, but Natalie was voted out 1st; she needed arguably an even bigger resume than what Chris had on EoE, and she didn't land it.

Natalie also made a few bad plays upon returning, whereas Chris managed to do everything right as soon as he got back in.

Lone Goat posted:

No way, Michele has a legit claim to the game, she made it to the end without getting voted out and without a big a giant dominant alliance, and even then, Tony got several massive helping hands to that seat. Ben and Sara both deserve a lot of credit for boosting Tony to that win. Michele never had an easy-mode Alliance and the people she had to ally with often didn't listen to her entirely correct advice.

Getting to the end from the outside is always more impressive than cruising to the end because you got the lucky alliance draw. Not denying Tony's great moves within his privileged Alliance, and I certainly think he was a legitimate contender to win the game. Climbing Everest is still, like, some kind of Achievement, but I'm going to be more impressed by the person who somehow did it alone as the only survivor of their expedition than I am some guy who makes it to the top and back safely because they paid for the good sherpa train, even if they totally started calling the shots on the sherpa train because the other dopes were dopes.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 15, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

No way, Michele has a legit claim to the game, she made it to the end without getting voted out and without a big a giant dominant alliance, and even then, Tony got several massive helping hands to that seat. Ben and Sara both deserve a lot of credit for boosting Tony to that win. Michele never had an easy-mode Alliance and the people she had to ally with often didn't listen to her entirely correct advice.

you just described a goat lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No I didn't, a goat is someone they bring to the end by choice. Michele was someone they couldn't get rid of in time and someone they had tried to be rid of previously and failed. Wasn't no goat this season, get outta here with that poo poo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

She was on the wrong side of nearly all of the end game votes, was eligible to be voted out multiple times at the end but not, carried to the final 3, and recieved 0 votes to win the game.

That's a fuckin goat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TMMadman posted:

No offense, but Natalie did not get screwed. Tony completely dominated the game from the merge on and frankly, play inside of the game is way more important than EoE play.

Tony didn't dominate anything. He ended up in a good alliance. That's it. He made one single move to vote someone out, and it wasn't even a good one. He simply did it because he fell into the usual "I heard my name come up from you, so now I must be bull-headed and vote you out." which almost lost his trust with Sarah. He wasn't voted against because he wasn't a threat to anyone. He was the jester, not the player. He made a single good call about Natalie possibly having an idol and it was the only time anything he brought up made any sense and was right about. He was blown off because, again, no one took him seriously of felt he was a legitimate player. 90% of Tony was his alliance.

quote:

While the EoE people may have had some tough challenges, they also don't have to deal with the intense mental pressure of being inside the game. Of constantly being paranoid and worried that you're going to be voted out. Of constantly having to think not just about today, but the next day and the day after that and how your actions might affect your own survival. All you have to do on EoE is be alive.

That mental pressure is a distraction. It makes time go by faster. EoE had none of that, it was pure misery. And those challenges were hardcore compared to anything the other side had. I would still believe fully the real test of Survivor was surviving EoE. It seemed to me way worse off, and Natalie was there from it's beginning to its end.

quote:

As someone else pointed out, being inside the game is playing a competitive game while being on EoE is playing more of a cooperative game.

While I would have laughed at a Natalie win because she is kind of amusing, I also would have been kind of upset about it because in the end, she got voted out on Day 2 and came back into the game on Day 36, which means she literally only played 5 days of the actual game and spent 34 days on EoE.

Being on the inside is as much competitive and cooperative than EoE was. No one knew she had so many tokens, or all the other stuff she did. I think she worked with Parv on these, but everyone else didn't seem to know about it. Since she got voted out first. First votes are token votes that are generally completely random. It was no fault of her own. I would argue Tony never got to even play the game fully because he never made it to EoE. I am wondering if we even saw the same show or not. EoE was a huge deal.

Also, Natalie did have a nearly perfect game when she returned. She had enough tokens for immunity and got to draw out two MORE immunity tokens. She then went on to win ANOTHER immunity. She not only found cracks, she knocked the entire drat wall down when she returned. Her only mistake is that she maybe should have said the jury all thought Ben was the winner instead of Tony. But everyone knew Tony was paranoid, so he was easier to exploit.

Rob upset she didn't make fire against Tony is ridiculous. She won the immunity so that she didn't have to.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 15, 2020

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The Ringer has a lot of good survivor articles up this week that are worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

I think pmom was being serious though and I still don't get the connection to natalie :shrug:

Oh just my general hangup about EoE that I will never get over. Vic got screwed over more than anyone by the Edge and I think she's the likeliest winner of the season if the edge had ended with Rick's return that season.