Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Scylo posted:

Get a bicycle and enjoy the non-existent cycling infrastructure!
There's been an explosion of cycling. Bike stores have run out of some bikes or can't get some models in because of a surge in demand.

I had to stop by work this morning and on the ride in I saw the council is building a dedicated cycle path along my usual route to work. I participated in the consultation for it about two years ago and it's looking like they didn't bother listening to me at all - they'll be building a cycle path parallel to a walking path that goes around two steep inclines, while the cycle path does not. There's plenty of cyclists who'll continue using the walking path because it's flatter and easier than riding up two small hills.

The government could stimulate the economy while promoting social distancing and easing congestion by fast-tracking bike network development. But whenever they ask for "shovel-ready" projects $100 million road projects get the priority over $10 million bike networks despite the the latter having a far great benefit than the former.

froglet fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

hambeet posted:

Maybe they could rename it to the Queensland and Northern Territory something something.

hmm i'm almost there.

Queensland Union with Northern Territory airlines

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-15/coronavirus-queensland-rockhampton-case-nursing-home/12248336

Well.... gently caress :(

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As of today, SA has zero known active cases.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

froglet posted:

There's been an explosion of cycling. Bike stores have run out of some bikes or can't get some models in because of a surge in demand.

I had to stop by work this morning and on the ride in I saw the council is building a dedicated cycle path along my usual route to work. I participated in the consultation for it about two years ago and it's looking like they didn't bother listening to me at all - they'll be building a cycle path parallel to a walking path that goes around two steep inclines, while the cycle path does not. There's plenty of cyclists who'll continue using the walking path because it's flatter and easier than riding up two small hills.

The government could stimulate the economy while promoting social distancing and easing congestion by fast-tracking bike network development. But whenever they ask for "shovel-ready" projects $100 million road projects get the priority over $10 million bike networks despite the the latter having a far great benefit than the former.

My mate works in a bike shop in a regional city that doesn't have much in the way of cycling infrastructure and they're busier than they've ever been.
I think when gyms open again a lot of the bikes will go back in the garage but right now they're fixing up everyone's old pushie

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Senor Tron posted:

Thank God, I thought this place would be infected with forums cancer forever.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am really annoyed.

I was gonna get to see my mates baby for the first time this weekend.

I was going to catch up with a good friend and buy some take away to eat together in a park quietly outside in the warm sun.

Get shopping done safely and quietly now the local panic buying is gone.

And now this loving this.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

I am really annoyed.

I was gonna get to see my mates baby for the first time this weekend.

I was going to catch up with a good friend and buy some take away to eat together in a park quietly outside in the warm sun.

Get shopping done safely and quietly now the local panic buying is gone.

And now this loving this.

Why don't you just do all those things?

or does your friend live in the nursing home?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Man I hope they charge her with something, that's hosed.

*it will turn out that she tried to get tested and was refused, then her employer told her to come back to work or be stood down without pay*

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

My mate works in a bike shop in a regional city that doesn't have much in the way of cycling infrastructure and they're busier than they've ever been.
I think when gyms open again a lot of the bikes will go back in the garage but right now they're fixing up everyone's old pushie

I've found the trails I typically MTB ride are way busier, not with mountain bikes but trail bikes. Destructive and annoying.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Senor Tron posted:

How much testing are they doing? Their numbers were so low to begin with I could believe it but wasn’t their some guy who they said got it form overseas but it turns out he came back from overseas ages before that?

Without extensive testing they could lull themselves into a false sense of security

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Powerful "humiliated loser Clegg" energy

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Zenithe posted:

Powerful "humiliated loser Clegg" energy

The state of the vic libs, sheesh

https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1260551389391933441?s=19

(though tbf I would find it hilarious if Albo called Morrison a friendless loser)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Illuminti posted:

Contact tracing not yet done, shes been active in town for 2 weeks.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

teacup posted:

How much testing are they doing? Their numbers were so low to begin with I could believe it but wasn’t their some guy who they said got it form overseas but it turns out he came back from overseas ages before that?

Without extensive testing they could lull themselves into a false sense of security

We've been doing around 1000-1500 tests a day, for the last month or so they have been encouraging anyone even with mild cold symptoms to go and get tested.

The state government is leaning pretty heavily into the fact we shouldn't have a false sense of security and they aren't ready to say we have eradicated it here yet.

The guy from overseas had come back in March, seems pretty likely he was already over it but just gave positive on the tests due to fragments of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is Tim Smith the biggest LNP pissbaby right now? If not he's certainly trying his hardest for the title.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Breakfast Burrito posted:

The state of the vic libs, sheesh

https://twitter.com/TimSmithMP/status/1260551389391933441?s=19

(though tbf I would find it hilarious if Albo called Morrison a friendless loser)

Whaaaaat the gently caress haha

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Killing myself and others to have a drink at the pub is a very Australian dystopia though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

Whaaaaat the gently caress haha

Two words: drinking habit.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Someone's friend/a big donor owns a chain of bars most likely.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My two year old had a runny nose so had to return from child care. We did the drive through test and it was Not Nearly As Invasive as the one I had a couple of weeks ago. He just had a nose test and it didn't bother him at all. Results in 2 days or so. We did have to get a doctors referel first, this was done at a pathology place, not a Bunnings or Shopping centre.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.reddit.com/r/transgenderau/comments/gk2ii2/violence_and_discrimination_at_the_pa_hospital/

I posted about what happened to me, if anyone remembers me posting a few weeks ago. If you read what I wrote it's very heavy and big CW for suicide and transphobia. I've been approached by people offering to put me in touch with equality australia and other organisations and use my story in the fight against our religious discrimination bill. If what happened to me can be used to defeat that bill, well, thats one hell of a silver lining. Hopefully, by going public, as well as going to agencies that can hold the people responsible accountable, I can prevent it happening to anyone else, and thats exactly what I want to come from this.

I also posted about it on r/brisbane knowing full well what it would be like on the off chance someone searching that subreddit specifically may find it one day and you can read how that went if you want

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You're right, that was a heavy read. I'm glad you put it out there though and hopefully something happens to those utter quacks.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

sounds like you're in a pretty bad place, hope things get better for you soon

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

chaser lowtax posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/transgenderau/comments/gk2ii2/violence_and_discrimination_at_the_pa_hospital/

I posted about what happened to me, if anyone remembers me posting a few weeks ago. If you read what I wrote it's very heavy and big CW for suicide and transphobia. I've been approached by people offering to put me in touch with equality australia and other organisations and use my story in the fight against our religious discrimination bill. If what happened to me can be used to defeat that bill, well, thats one hell of a silver lining. Hopefully, by going public, as well as going to agencies that can hold the people responsible accountable, I can prevent it happening to anyone else, and thats exactly what I want to come from this.

I also posted about it on r/brisbane knowing full well what it would be like on the off chance someone searching that subreddit specifically may find it one day and you can read how that went if you want

I'm very sorry you had that experience, that sounds awful. Like any other slice of society, some doctors are just loving cunts.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

This is so horrendous, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you - I hope you're doing okay now, and you have support around you. I'm a trans woman too, and while I haven't experienced anything as awful as this, things like this make engaging in healthcare a terrifying and infuriating experience. Best of luck with pursuing it further too, and I hope you're taking care of yourself first up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Illuminti posted:

Oh also we don't want to risk the new born getting exposed to anything.

Because we don't know where the lady who was infected went during the two weeks she was about were going to wait till next weekend now to see if things are given the all clear.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I can't imagine going through something like that, sister. I hope you give yourself the space and time to properly unwind with your girlfriend. I am not surprised that you don't have the energy to want to deal with that poo poo in any formal way. The only way to win is to survive and build enough support that openly being a bigot becomes socially untenable. Which means that it is important that you need to keep being you for all trans people.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Regardless of what they believed or had been taught their treatment of a distressed person was absolutely unacceptable and only escalated the situation, you didn't deserve this

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You'd expect that medical professionals would have at least even the vaguest concern for a patient's well-being beyond "will my actions directly result in their death during this current shift"

That's incredibly poo poo and I hope you can find a way soon to a happier place, chaser lowtax

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
No matter how you feel about trans people, I don't see how a medical professional seemingly taunting and bullying a patient on (I'd assume here) suicide watch is a good idea.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

No matter how you feel about trans people, I don't see how a medical professional seemingly taunting and bullying a patient on (I'd assume here) suicide watch is a good idea.

Doctors are not immune to being huge pieces of poo poo, and based the doctors I met while I was at university seemingly select for that quality. I also know some very lovely ones, but hooooboy.

EDIT: If you meet a piece of poo poo doctor and want to get under their skin, tell them they're basically an overpaid plumber.

hooman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 15, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/emilycmulligan/status/1261198134278975488

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

They have successfully graduated from Chris Kenny style tedious think pieces to Alex Jones. That tweet doesn't give you the full experience.

quote:

The false sense of security the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) had lulled Australians into is decimated.

The pandemic has red-pilled us all.

You and I know that the red state knowingly unleashed this plague, and all it’s entailed, upon us: the CCP shut off travel from the province of Hubei to the rest of China on January 23, but not to the rest of the world.

They ought to be begging forgiveness.

Instead, Australia’s seeing China’s backhand in fine form.

In retaliation for our PM calling for an independent international inquiry into the pandemic, the CCP is issuing trade threats like there’s no tomorrow: slapping 80% tariffs on our barley, tossing 35% of our meat trade, cutting our $63 billion iron ore pipeline to Beijing.

The communist world superpower has dropped its diplomatic façade to throw a tantrum of epic proportions, exposing itself for the bully bent on world domination that it is.

The good news is that our PM is digging his heels in, a growing cohort of patriot MPs are increasingly sounding the alarm, and millions of everyday Aussies are now alive to the threat our biggest trading partner poses to our nation’s sovereignty.

And so, this week’s blogs are China-heavy for good reason.

Yours sincerely

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 15, 2020

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

So the regional broadband tax has passed the senate. The fact there's no consiquence for politians for their poo poo decisions saddens me.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So Morrison leading the charge to get an international investigation into the origins of coronavirus- what is the end game here?

Originally I thought it was just red meat to the racist base but it looks like labor support it as well (lol) but also now like- many countries including now the collective EU support the idea?

Now that it’s hurting trade so much for us with beef and barley exports being hit why is this so important to us? Is it a matter of it wasn’t at first but we shouldn’t back down on principle? Or is this investigation actually going to result in getting China to admit something?

Genuine questions- I legitimately don’t understand what can be gained here, but also realise if it was completely unimportant then we wouldn’t risk blowing up our relationship for it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is that in the future we don’t want the WHO’s response to a potential pandemic like this to be retarded by the political sensitivities of the country in which it starts.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Don't conflate legitimate criticism of the CCP as racism.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

realbez posted:

I think the idea is that in the future we don’t want the WHO’s response to a potential pandemic like this to be retarded by the political sensitivities of the country in which it starts.

Yeah. Plus there is legitimate value in understanding where the disease originated from, to try and prevent a future similar outbreak. Especially since it's not like anyone can reasonably expect the CCP to do their own investigation and honestly share the results globally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

Oh also we don't want to risk the new born getting exposed to anything.

Because we don't know where the lady who was infected went during the two weeks she was about were going to wait till next weekend now to see if things are given the all clear.

It sounds like you are restricting yourself way way to much than necessary versus the risk. You have to think about your mental health as well and the things you listed you wanted to do are easily done very safely with a small amount of care. Your risk of catching it is tiny unless you had direct contact with that nurse or nursing home.

Also your new born is probably one of the safest humans in the world from Corona!