Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I made some toast with it this morning. Result: cumin in bread makes your bread savoury as gently caress, and is very good with avocado and Vegemite for breakfast. Gonna do some sandwiches now.

A good mistake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Re no wine - try cold brew iced teas. They're one of our favourites in our extremely low alcohol household. Our usual method is just to take a few scoops of loose leaf tea into an infusor tea pot overnight, sometimes with some spices like ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, clove etc depending on the type of the tea and the mood.

This is my favourite black tea for it (if I remember correctly) - it's an Indian mass market brand but it cold brews really nicely (and quickly) with or without additional spices, and it's super cheap relatively speaking.

(I don't know what the tea trade term is, but as a dried tea it has a granulated look like coffee).

I've also tried home-made dandielion root coffee/tea/hot beverage for the first time this week and it's pretty nice too. It reminds me of a mid-oxidized gunpowder tea, but non-caffeinated.

None of these things have the tartness that you crave, but if you like decent tea and you like wine, you'll like kombucha.

(I should go check out the tea thread. I haven't checked it in like 2000 posts)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm in a food group on Facebook that was pretty good for a few weeks, and now it's full of assholes.
Cross posting a rant I just ranted:

You know what? gently caress EVERY SINGLE person in here who thought it was funny to say bad poo poo about collard greens. (tee hee, throw them away! They R garbage! gross who eats that amirite)

Right now there are mile long lines at food pantries, people literally starving in this country, and you have the balls to suggest throwing away something highly nutritious?

Before the apocalypse, bashing vegetables was not funny. Now it's just rubbing your privilege in the face of hungry people.
Grow up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sounds lovely. Collard greens are amazing if you uh... Bother to learn how to cook them properly.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also not surprising: every person in that thread who bashed collards was white. Like, super white.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also not surprising: every person in that thread who bashed collards was white. Like, super white.

Why were you in a group with super white people?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm megawhite and I love greens

I almost wrote über white, but I realised that has some strong connotations

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It’s fine not to enjoy something. I hate raw carrots. It’s weird to belittle people who do like them, though (and lik, I’d be eating carrots by the bag if I needed to).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

mediaphage posted:

It’s fine not to enjoy something. I hate raw carrots. It’s weird to belittle people who do like them, though (and lik, I’d be eating carrots by the bag if I needed to).

Have you tried baby carrots. Much more tender when they aren't even allowed to walk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Have you tried baby carrots. Much more tender when they aren't even allowed to walk.

Joking aside aren’t the majority of ‘baby carrots’ just polished down big carrots? Anyway, still no.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

Joking aside aren’t the majority of ‘baby carrots’ just polished down big carrots? Anyway, still no.

They are. They're made of what we used to call "uglies" when I was young. Most veg has to look good to make it on our shelves which is stupid as gently caress. Tastes the drat same.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I do have to say that collard greens were something I definitely did not enjoy growing up and only do enjoy them today if they are prepared pretty specifically. I could say the same of a couple of different veggies though. It's not like people in an online social group revolving around cooking should shame each other for liking or disliking some ingredients. I mean who does that? It's not like they tried to put beans in chili :barf:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This conversation is so odd to me because in the U.K. collard greens are sold as “[whatever season it is] greens” and marketed to rich white people.

I get a weekly organic veg box for rich white people from my mum, and currently it’s full “summer greens” and “foraged” green stuff I couldn’t possibly name. Fed my kids something that looked like seaweed last week, and they said it was really nice other than the brown stalks. I suspect it may have actually been seaweed.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

learnincurve posted:

This conversation is so odd to me because in the U.K. collard greens are sold as “[whatever season it is] greens” and marketed to rich white people.

I get a weekly organic veg box for rich white people from my mum, and currently it’s full “summer greens” and “foraged” green stuff I couldn’t possibly name. Fed my kids something that looked like seaweed last week, and they said it was really nice other than the brown stalks. I suspect it may have actually been seaweed.

In the US, Collard Greens and Kale are strongly associated with black people and southern/soul/cajun/creole cooking. Once at the corner store I got into a conversation with a neighbor (old white lady) about growing swiss chard, and when I mentioned that I also grew kale, she practically spit on the ground in front of me. "I don't like kale.", coupled with a murderous stare.

And I live Massachusetts.

It's gotten a little better, as good BBQ percolates about the nation, it has brought collards and kale and pot likker with it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stringent posted:

Why were you in a group with super white people?

It's a pretty diverse group, which made the I'm-so-funny-because-I-Hate-Vegtables people stand out.

If you really want some fun, try telling one of these folks that you are vegan. They think that translates as "Hey, I'm an enormous jack rear end, and I'm begging for you to mock my food choices to my face."

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Squashy Nipples posted:

In the US, Collard Greens and Kale are strongly associated with black people and southern/soul/cajun/creole cooking. Once at the corner store I got into a conversation with a neighbor (old white lady) about growing swiss chard, and when I mentioned that I also grew kale, she practically spit on the ground in front of me. "I don't like kale.", coupled with a murderous stare.

It's gotten a little better, as good BBQ percolates about the nation, it has brought collards and kale and pot likker with it.

What's funny though is that there's plenty of white ethnic subgroups in America (think Boston Irish, Germans in Wisconsin, Scots-Irish from Appalachia to the Midwest, for instance) who have long traditions of "cruciferous vegetables boiled until really soft, usually with smoked pork in the mix", be it cabbage, red cabbage, kale, etc. So basically this is just stupid American racism when you find people who "don't like" "collard greens."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

In my experience Collard Greens associates with poor black communities and kale associates with hipsters, foodies etc. Like, growing up in Louisiana I don't think I even knew that kale existed until my mid-20s but collard greens and cornbread was a known staple and would be in any soul food place / served in our school cafeteria etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

They are. They're made of what we used to call "uglies" when I was young. Most veg has to look good to make it on our shelves which is stupid as gently caress. Tastes the drat same.

Even worse, the core is generally considered to be inferior to the outer tissue, and those will have a much higher proportion of core as a result of the process. Everything about them is worse!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
But who in the world doesn't like greens? Like OK I get it, some people may not like vegetables in general but what the hell's wrong with pot likker? That's just weird. Ok I guess I am food shaming people who are food shaming?

I prefer kale only because the leaves hold up better with making greens. Also I kinda like the bitterness. But yeah, they really are a hip thing right now. I hate that about when white people discover peasant foods. I can't find beef tongue or oxtails for cheap anymore. Once they find out peasant foods are a thing they loving gobble them all up. It's like how lobster used to be trash food fed to slaves.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I can actually understand the collard-hate. I’ve lived in the south my whole life and really only started to like collards in the past few years and still prefer turnip or mustard greens. If all you ever had were gritty, tough, bitter, undercooked collards that were half stems they might leave a bad taste. The prewashed ones in the bag are a game changer and seem to be from younger/more tender plants Than the big bunches.

Also I made a southern food thread a few weeks ago too and there’s been some good collardchat!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919630

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That Works posted:

In my experience Collard Greens associates with poor black communities and kale associates with hipsters, foodies etc. Like, growing up in Louisiana I don't think I even knew that kale existed until my mid-20s but collard greens and cornbread was a known staple and would be in any soul food place / served in our school cafeteria etc.

Yeah, I know I was lumping together a vast geographical and cultural spread, but I was trying to sum it up for a Brit.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, I know I was lumping together a vast geographical and cultural spread, but I was trying to sum it up for a Brit.

Ohh I see.

Also echoing Kaiser's mustard green supremacy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can actually understand the collard-hate. I’ve lived in the south my whole life and really only started to like collards in the past few years and still prefer turnip or mustard greens. If all you ever had were gritty, tough, bitter, undercooked collards that were half stems they might leave a bad taste. The prewashed ones in the bag are a game changer and seem to be from younger/more tender plants Than the big bunches.

Also I made a southern food thread a few weeks ago too and there’s been some good collardchat!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919630

Yeah I mean it's important to remember that there are terrible cooks everywhere. I'd hate food if I only had the food growing up to rely upon.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's gotten a little better, as good BBQ percolates about the nation, it has brought collards and pot likker with it.

I figured every Masshole would be acquainted with Portuguese food given how many people from Portugal/Azores have Portuguese heritage. When I think greens, I think caldo de verde lol.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is there actually any difference between green and red bell pepper plants? Lowes was selling both green and red bell pepper plants, but I thought they were the same plant, just different levels of ripeness.

Wait, are you buying your produce at a hardware store?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, are you buying your produce at a hardware store?

lowes has a big ol garden center with starter plants and seeds and stuff, yeah

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
RE Collards chat. My mum used to make them, and cook the gently caress out of them too, because that's how you do. But she'd also add a bunch of spices, coconut, green chilies, onion, ginger, etc etc etc (like you do). When I grew older, I realised that I liked to save the stems for soup (they are hearty, and hold up to long cooking), and the greens just blanched quickly in boiling water (heat water in kettle, pour over the leaves, let sit like 3 - 5 minutes), and then tossed with a bit of sesame oil, salt, pepper, and toasted sesame seed. Ditto that for kale. I don't care for it when the stems end up in my blanched greens, but when it's just the leaves, they're pretty nice with not a lot of faff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:same: except I got to learn them from the one church potluck goer that wasn't just "Betty crocker dump casserole"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I’ve ever had Collard greens as I’ve never lived in a country where they grow, but if they are anything like chard/silverbeet, kale etc then separating the stems from the leaves and cooking them for longer is definitely the way to go.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Eat This Glob posted:

lowes has a big ol garden center with starter plants and seeds and stuff, yeah

Ah I missed the "plants" part of that. My bad.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

I’ve ever had Collard greens as I’ve never lived in a country where they grow, but if they are anything like chard/silverbeet, kale etc then separating the stems from the leaves and cooking them for longer is definitely the way to go.

I always separate the stalks/stems from leaves and cook them for longer.

Which reminds me: kimchi definitely worked and it’s absolutely delicious. I’ve been forking mouthfuls straight from the jar. It’s got vinegar, soy, honey and gochujang, so it hits salty, sour, sweet, sharp, and crunchy. So good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I keep trying kimchi like at least every 2 weeks and I don't like it yet. Kills me hearing about everyone else loving it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This house’s kitchen is simultaneously terrible for short and tall people:

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ma/malden/27-clayton-st-3/pid_35998829/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I keep trying kimchi like at least every 2 weeks and I don't like it yet. Kills me hearing about everyone else loving it.

Some people just don't dig on cabbage. me, I love it, I'll eat any preparation of cabbage from any place in the world.

Also, Kimchi can also be a little overwhelming for some people because all of the flavors are turned up to 11 at once

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Some people just don't dig on cabbage. me, I love it, I'll eat any preparation of cabbage from any place in the world.

Also, Kimchi can also be a little overwhelming for some people because all of the flavors are turned up to 11 at once

Also, it doesn’t have to be cabbage!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Also, it doesn’t have to be cabbage!

Yep. Mine was bok Choi. But I can understand people not liking the fermented tang.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

This houses kitchen is simultaneously terrible for short and tall people:

It can't be so ba-
Jesus gently caress. WEHAAT THE gently caress.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Honey, can you get the mixer down for me?

Sure thing darling.

I kinda dig the layout sans NBA level cabinetry, just get a rolling island in there and you're golden. Pity about the omnipresent roofline encroaching into your personal space

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 16, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

This house’s kitchen is simultaneously terrible for short and tall people:

This kitchen is an insult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I got a butter bell! It's cute!