Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Anyone any idea about tax credits? I was overpaid for 2018-2019 so i've been paying off around 500 quid for the last few months. Yesterday I received my annual review. Based on my income for 2019-2020 my award is like £1147 quid, based off an income of 12500.

So I'm confused but planning to just fire it into a savings account so if next year they want it all back I won't be caught out again. Fair dos.

But today I receive another letter from HMRC telling me my provisional tax credit award for 2020-2021 is £0, based off an income of £15426??? How did they get that figure? (*EDIT*Oh It's my earnings for 2018-2019)I'm not even sure what to put for working hours as I'm furloughed and will be for at least another couple months.

Melissa McCarthyism fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The left don't stand a chance of changing internal democracy now.

This has not yet been proved and I don't think we should surrender until it has. We've not even had one conference. The last NEC results have helpfully reminded the left of the importance of slate voting whether you completely agree with the slate or not.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

kyojin posted:

At the time I really worried I would regret cancelling my membership but instead it brings me daily relief that I am no longer invested in what these loving worthless parasites have to say as they come crawling back into the light

so much this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was the loss of mass membership that allowed a cabal of useless shits to take over in the first place, I'm not convinced that mass abandoning the party will make the neolibs, centrists, careerists and Blue Labour crew learn any lesson, low membership low engagement parties are the sewer in which they swim.

Then it can be 90s/00s triangulation and state stripping forever as the world slowly boils, just like the Matrix.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1261211479799365633

now there's a headline.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

So, like utter poo poo?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dan Hodges having a stopped clock moment:

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1261194983085916160?s=20
Fat chat: I don't know how they plan to tackle this and they better not stop people getting healthcare because of it.

Ding ding ding!

All part of the design to make the NHS non-universal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

So, like utter poo poo?

Completely ignore their suffering and performatively thank them for their service while throwing them out on the streets - checks out.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Completely ignore their suffering and performatively thank them for their service while throwing them out on the streets - checks out.

Dress up as a specific flower, threaten people who fail to dress up as this flower, while doing the above.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I guess we know who one of the two is now, anyone know the whereabouts of Amelia Bullmore?

quote:

In Ghana, a political storm erupted over accusations of Airbus payments to a relative of a government official in connection with the purchase of military transport planes.

Britain’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) said the agent had no aerospace experience, having previously worked in football merchandising and as a facilities manager. It did not say what the agent, who had been helped by two unnamed British television actors, did with the money.

President Nana Akufo-Addo’s office said Ghana would “conduct a prompt inquiry to determine the complicity or otherwise of any Ghanaian government official, past or present”.

The National Democratic Congress (NDC), which was in power at the time, said claims that Airbus paid bribes were false.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sanford posted:

So, like utter poo poo?

Been getting big Tommy vibes ever since the first clap tbh

quote:

I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ;
But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside ";
But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I've got somewhere the bit of paper that was pinned to my grandad's lapel after the first battle of El-Alamein, which lists his injuries including six bullet wounds, 78 shrapnel wounds, a fractured skull, 17 other bone fractures and "partial loss" of his hand, amongst other things. I've also got a letter, dated 1947, explaining that he was not entitled to any additional financial support because his "permanent disability is not expected to exceed 20% in any of the defined categories". I should get round to making it into an image macro for whenever anyone claims soldiers were ever treated like "heroes".

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Quality reply.

https://twitter.com/GavinWhenman/status/1261214078346944514

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 minutes!
https://twitter.com/NUFCThreatLevel/status/1261254209896427521?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If there's one thing I would hope everyone here would know instinctively it's that london does not have much bearing on reality.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

You all scoff at the importance of Starmer being good at PMQs, but this is objectively closer to killing Tories than Corbyn ever got.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

jabby posted:

You all scoff at the importance of Starmer being good at PMQs, but this is objectively closer to killing Tories than Corbyn ever got.

This Starmer windsocking from you is weird enough without you getting all self-righteous about it.

jabby, December 2019 posted:

Jose posted:

I'm not despairing because I don't think the membership will quit in such number that jess phillips wins but I think you should accept Starmer might well be the next leader
Starmer is a centrist melt, so let's loving hope not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jabby posted:

wait, what? Jabby, is that you?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read it as Boris getting all his doddery old mates back to make houghoughoughoughough noises in the background will send them to the morgue, not that Starmer's good.
:thejoke:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sanford posted:

I've got somewhere the bit of paper that was pinned to my grandad's lapel after the first battle of El-Alamein, which lists his injuries including six bullet wounds, 78 shrapnel wounds, a fractured skull, 17 other bone fractures and "partial loss" of his hand, amongst other things. I've also got a letter, dated 1947, explaining that he was not entitled to any additional financial support because his "permanent disability is not expected to exceed 20% in any of the defined categories". I should get round to making it into an image macro for whenever anyone claims soldiers were ever treated like "heroes".

It's arguable that in fiction as well as history this is what being treated like a hero really means and that there's nothing actually inconsistent or hypocritical about it. We demand everything of heroes and then treat them like utter poo poo when it comes time to pay them back, that's the deal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HJB posted:

This Starmer windsocking from you is weird enough without you getting all self-righteous about it.

Starmer is a centrist melt, so let's loving hope not.
[/quote]

It's a joke you weirdo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's arguable that in fiction as well as history this is what being treated like a hero really means and that there's nothing actually inconsistent or hypocritical about it. We demand everything of heroes and then treat them like utter poo poo when it comes time to pay them back, that's the deal.
You get a brass band when you die. That's the deal.

Nobody talks about the glorious inconveniently wounded.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Phil Mitchell will be dictator of The Gambia in real life this decade, mark my words

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Eating all the food in the country by himself.

The Kim Jong Un model of governance :hmmyes:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

Phil Mitchell will be dictator of The Gambia in real life this decade, mark my words

His bruv has contacts, you know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Ross Kemp's Hardest Darkness yes i know he's the other one

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

HJB posted:

See what makes it a joke is that Boris bringing back his MPs might get them killed, so I am facetiously suggesting we credit Starmer with causing their deaths. Which is something most people in this thread would approve of but we can reasonably assume is not his intention.

I'm sure you can appreciate the humour now, after the laborious and unfunny explanation.

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got the joke and it was good IMO.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
So are they still going to spend £4 billion on restoring Westminster while privatising every service and selling everything possible to ~pay off the coronavirus credit card~ ?
(I know the answer is yes)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
We already know what the priorities are when it comes to meting out the pain required for austerity. It's not like the first round even ended

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Cerv posted:

announcement in March

guidance actually published in May

seems to me this leaves it entirely up to the employer to decide? ours is taking a blanket ban of no-one gets to carry over anything. but I can't see I've anything in law to stand on to argue against that.
so if you had a 2 weeks trip away had to be cancelled in April, you can't actually bank those days for when you're able to reschedule but have to use them up sitting around at home with Netflix. unless your business is so disrupted that the employer denies any leave requests, e.g. too many colleagues off sick, or so much extra work generated.

bit of a let down isn't it

That's proper poo poo mine has allowed all entitlement to be carried over, they've been pretty good over the last few years 17/18 I was only able to take around 10 days so carried mine over and in 18/19 I had 70 days total for the year.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

Jose posted:

Imagine trying to keep these shitrags in business

https://twitter.com/OliviaBUtley/status/1260846388998557696?s=19

Odds on Olivia Utley ever having stayed in a poo poo BnB in Blackpool where the hot water keeps going off and you're awoken at 3am by the sounds of a stag do returning outside? Haha don't answer that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Then it can be 90s/00s triangulation and state stripping forever as the world slowly boils, just like the Matrix.
insane optimism on display here

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

Lol shut the gently caress up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/lsebrexitvote/status/1261253623142666248?s=19

The article itself is pretty neutral in tone, but lol, best of luck with that

jabby posted:

facicuously

We need an emoji that implies when the poster is being... facicuous???

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol shut the gently caress up
Quick, someone explain the joke again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine four tories on the edge of a cliff...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Quick, someone explain the joke again

Joke sucks.

https://twitter.com/Iwontcalmdown/status/1261249467770159104?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

LET OUR CHILDREN BE HEROES

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's so cool that we've fully internalised that "be a hero" just means "die so that the upper class can never be slightly inconvenienced"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Borrovan posted:

LET OUR CHILDREN BE HEROES