Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
is there a map font mod for victoria II?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

speaking of Victoria 2, has anyone tried The Grand Combination mod? it's a recent mod combining a shitton of others together. worth running at all?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJZ4EiXRlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8QF263PfGI

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I like how it talks about cunning and then shows the dude charging a castle on horse. Clearly not the genius you want to start your eugenics experi...CK playthrough with.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
September 1st was way sooner than I expected, definitely pre-ordering this!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Vichan posted:

September 1st was way sooner than I expected, definitely pre-ordering this!

Why? They aren’t going to run out of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

yikes! posted:

Why? They aren’t going to run out of them.
Seriously. I'm not buying it until I see people playing it and it works well. I honestly do not like the new aesthetic of the game/map at all, from what i have seen. I feel like PDX UI design has somehow gotten worse; Imperator is still awful in that regard (from what i have heard/seen).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
*Thinking back on Imperator launch, Stellaris launch, HOIV launch*

I'm going to preorder CK3.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I was tempted by the "royal edition" or what ever when I saw it came with an expansion pass for the first 3 expansions - but reading further that actually means 2 "flavour" dlcs and one actual expansion which feels a little bit misleading.

No idea what flavour dlc will mean for this game, probably new sets of clothes and coats of arms or something. Not really something that should be bundled together with actual expansion content in their promotion email.

Glad the release date is so soon though, looking forward to playing it for a few weeks before cyberpunk comes out :v:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

I was tempted by the "royal edition" or what ever when I saw it came with an expansion pass for the first 3 expansions - but reading further that actually means 2 "flavour" dlcs and one actual expansion which feels a little bit misleading.

No idea what flavour dlc will mean for this game, probably new sets of clothes and coats of arms or something. Not really something that should be bundled together with actual expansion content in their promotion email.

Glad the release date is so soon though, looking forward to playing it for a few weeks before cyberpunk comes out :v:

Going by how they handle their previous expansions (this could still be completely wrong though): A "flavor pack" is probably in the ~$10 price range and will add things like events, graphics, music, etc but no major gameplay changes. Lithoids had the most changes, and it was just a few traits. The "expansion" will probably be in the $20-25 range and offer new mechanics and systems that change/hopefully improve gameplay. Who knows if they will stick to this for ck3 though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Arrhythmia posted:

Tbf the only one of those purchases I've regretted is Imperator.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am still on the fence about pre-ordering but at the least this game is focusing on what I found lacking in Imperator, so odds are it will be better? Though waiting to see some lets plays and such is the smarter move by far.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
It’s also going to be offered by the PC side of Xbox game pass on day 1.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dramicus posted:

Going by how they handle their previous expansions (this could still be completely wrong though): A "flavor pack" is probably in the ~$10 price range and will add things like events, graphics, music, etc but no major gameplay changes. Lithoids had the most changes, and it was just a few traits. The "expansion" will probably be in the $20-25 range and offer new mechanics and systems that change/hopefully improve gameplay. Who knows if they will stick to this for ck3 though.

They have some info in this in a FAQ.

quote:

Question 7: What kind of content can we expect post-launch?

Our DLCs will be split between Flavor Packs and Major Expansions.

Flavor Packs – SRP $6.99: in-game content focused on a theme or a region.
Major Expansions – SRP $29.99: larger, meatier expansions with content and mechanics to expand and enrich your experience.
Free Updates: As usual, each Major Expansion will be accompanied by a free update that will provide new features, fixes and changes to improve our players’ experience.
If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio games, you surely have realized that we will start with a Major Expansion for CK3 at a slightly higher price point than those of our previous titles. This is due to the fact that we want to spend more time on our CK3 expansions and deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content and well-enhanced mechanics.

In-between the Major Expansions, smaller Flavor Packs will be released to add some spice to themes and specific regions of the world and give everyone something to spend your time with.

So the expansion pass saves you quite a bit if you think you’re likely to buy the DLCs anyway. And you get some bonus hats out of it, too.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Yeah, I'm sure you save money buying the royal version for an extra €25 vs buying them separately at full price, but the email says it comes with the first 3 expansions and I think it's a bit misleading to call flavour packs that. At least, based on the sort of portrait pack type things they released for CK2

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Yeah, I'm sure you save money buying the royal version for an extra €25 vs buying them separately at full price, but the email says it comes with the first 3 expansions and I think it's a bit misleading to call flavour packs that. At least, based on the sort of portrait pack type things they released for CK2

I generally agree with the sentiment, but then again I wonder if my concept of an expansion is locked in the 90s. Technically anything that expands on the content of the game is an expansion.

I do know Paradox got a little burned with Hoi4's expansion pass, where people disagreed on what was considered appropriate for inclusion in the pass.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 14, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm not preordering until they annouce development on Victoria 3

Anno
May 10, 2017

Chalks posted:

It reads like they will have have new asset stuff but also events and other content for whatever they are themed around. So maybe like Stellaris, where the “flavor packs” are probably my favorite DLCs.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm not preordering until they annouce development on Victoria 3

Likewise

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I mean Launch periods are the only time anyone on a medicore computer can actually finish a paradox game before feature bloat takes over and fastest is equivalent to releases normal.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I honestly do not like the new aesthetic of the game/map at all, from what i have seen. I feel like PDX UI design has somehow gotten worse; Imperator is still awful in that regard (from what i have heard/seen).

Man this is insane to me. I mean I know we haven't played yet but to me it looks like the best UI for a paradox game so far by a long way. Everything looks really clear and nicely spaced out, with a big emphasis on "if you do this, this will happen" type info. It looks a million times better than Imperator.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The preorder for HOI4 ended up netting me Man the Guns for free which was a steal.

Anno
May 10, 2017

fuf posted:

Man this is insane to me. I mean I know we haven't played yet but to me it looks like the best UI for a paradox game so far by a long way. Everything looks really clear and nicely spaced out, with a big emphasis on "if you do this, this will happen" type info. It looks a million times better than Imperator.

Yeah I also think the UI looks really nice. Not much clutter, really clean, lots of nicely descriptive tooltips all over the place, even in other (and other-other) tooltips! I also really like the font for some reason.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I didn't even regret Imperator. Certainly not my favourite game, but I got my money's worth out of it. Modern Paradox games are at worst, decent skinner boxes. Never been much of a fan of make numbers go up loot driven RPGs, but make that grand strategy? That'll keep me going for at least twenty hours.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Arrhythmia posted:

to be fair, CK2 comparatively had an extremely smooth launch, as did EU4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hefty Leftist posted:

to be fair, CK2 comparatively had an extremely smooth launch, as did EU4
Victoria II afterglow.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Victoria II afterglow.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rome is on sale until the 18th on Steam. Is it worth trying?

(I've enjoyed EU4, CK2 and Stellaris.)

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Did Imperator launch without magic?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big Hubris posted:

Did Imperator launch without magic?

They took the Mana out after they realized the release version was trash

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Magic ... ?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Acethomas posted:

It’s also going to be offered by the PC side of Xbox game pass on day 1.

that means 4 whole bux for the full game, I never planned to get it but now I might

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Chalks posted:

As far as I understand a flavor pack would be on the level of legacy of rome or so, not just graphical stuff.

YMMV whether that's worth it or not.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I honestly do not like the new aesthetic of the game/map at all, from what i have seen.

I think i prefer the hand drawn look of the events/characters in ck2. it gave the game a unique aesthetic that has now been replaced by generic cgi stuff

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Moving to 3D for characters is the right move as it’s the only practical way to do something with the scale and scope of Crusader Kings (after nearly a decade of updates to CK2, they only recently got rid of the atrocious default faces, but there are still significant quality and style disparities between graphical culture groups). That said the 3D models in CK3 just don’t look that good. Given it’s the single most important graphical feature in the game it’s a bit perplexing paradox have settled at the level of above average poser models.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Mana and magic is how people refer to spendable abstract resources in Paradox games.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Mana and magic is how people refer to spendable abstract resources in Paradox games.

I see. Thanks.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You guys should try Age of Civilizations II! It's just a mobile game but what an original take on the strategy genre!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You guys should try Age of Civilizations II! It's just a mobile game but what an original take on the strategy genre!

Finally! The poor map contrast and general unreadability I've been looking for since CK 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It looks like the main thing the game stole from EU is the map, with gameplay a generic 4X type. I guess maps are hard to copyright.