Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Didn't like it much myself, but 20$ for Control is good value for the money.

Ragequit posted:

Here is a high level summary:
  • Added Journey Mode, a brand new world and character difficulty mode that offers unprecedented control over the way you play. Features unique powers such as item duplication, weather control, spawn rate and difficulty sliders, and more.
  • Added Master Mode, a new highest difficulty surpassing that of Expert. Test your skills against even harder challenges, and perhaps be rewarded with some unique rewards from each boss
  • Added two brand new bosses to seek out and challenge
  • Added the Bestiary, an encyclopedia of the enemies, allies, and critters you encounter on your journey
  • Added Golf, a new fun pastime for when you want to take a break from all the monster slaying
  • Added Windy Day weather, along with various ambient effects and even some enemies
  • Added Town Pylons and NPC Happiness, an expansion on the town system that culminates with the ability to build a teleportation network to towns around the world
Then there's the thousands of new items, NPCs, enemies, flora, fauna, biomes, etc...
Jesus Christ. There go another hundred hours of my life. Terraria Dev, you are amazing and I have gotten more value out of your game at this point than out of any three other ones I could think of put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Like many of you, I can't believe I'm reinstalling Terraria. What in the world? I also can't believe I have more hours in Starbound, so I'm going to fix that over the next couple of weeks. I hope this expansion/remastermake launches smoothly.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hub Cat posted:

The devs were pissed because Epic took a flat dollar amount off all games over a certain pricepoint without asking, which dropped their Lowest Sale Price on deal sites(effectively the "do not buy above this" amount for a lot of people), and a number of the games this happened to were newly released or still in Early Access like Hades. The 10$ coupon is a compromise because it doesn't affect their numbers.
So basically you're right about the devaluation but it was a flat discount and the coupon was the fix.

Edit:I just looked through at the old thread and they even applied it to some preorders so no wonder the devs were furious.

It wasn't the coupons, back in the early days they had a big deep-discount sale on everything which meant you could pick up some games on pre-order that weren't even available yet for up to 75% off. I got Hades for just over £5 a year ago (this even included the OST apparently, which costs extra).
So this blindsided a lot of developers as they weren't informed, but they still kept the full price so if you bought the game it was kind-of a win-win for them as Epic took the discount hit. However like you say the "lowest price" is now super-cheap and likely never to reach that again for a long time as it's not even out of EA yet.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

My bad if my post was unclear but that's what I was trying to say, I was responding to somebody that thought the coupons were what had made the dev's mad.
It was the same terms as the coupons $10 off games over $15(in addition to % discounts presumably decided by the devs) but it was applied to the base price shown on the store originally which was immediately scraped by the price bots, later they changed it to show ${price}-$10 but by then the damage was done. As you said Epic did pay the cost of the $10 so they ended up getting the full price and hopefully extra sales though.

Supergiant was more upset than most because they had intended to raise the price of Hades to coincide with adding content, it also ended up discounting preorders for VTM:Bloodlines 2 who pulled their game from the store temporarily.

Edit:Anyway this was a pointless post so people should play Snowrunner and The Outer Wilds which I loved, has a great soundtrack, and a fantastic bittersweet ending, even if I always forget to post about it, it doesn't get talked about nearly enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPyaFR7poL4

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 15, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oldstench posted:

Since we're talking about the EGS sale in here, let me ask you if Control is worth $20?
Yep. Game's pretty drat good.

Rebel Blob posted:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker :words:

But P:K is really trapped with some antiquated design decisions.
  • Rail-roaded morality, you have to make some extremely stupid dialog choices along the classic DnD Lawful/Chaotic and Good/Neutral/Evil alignments
Are you complaining that a D&D game uses the alignment system? :confused:

Jamfrost posted:

Like many of you, I can't believe I'm reinstalling Terraria.
I never uninstalled it in the first place. :c00lbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Control strikes me as the first “next gen” game. It’s more or less the only game that has ray tracing worth mentioning besides Minecraft. Other games like Call of Duty you actually struggle to tell the difference and in some cases the ray tracing somehow looks worse

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Zereth posted:

I can understand this since a lot of the alignment choices makes no sense. Hell, most of the Lawful Good choices are basically Lawful Neutral at best and sometimes feel like they are veering of into Neutral or even Evil..

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sounds like it's suffering from a case of "the writer thought Lawful Stupid is actually how the alignment is supposed to work."

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zereth posted:

There are games using the D&D corset that still do interesting things. Mask of the Betrayer, for one.

Kingmaker is violently bad with its alignment system. It includes such classics as "good aligned characters are always morons" and evil doing evil for evil's sake

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

D&D alignments have always been garbage, even more so than Bioware morality gauges

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

D&D alignments have always been garbage, even more so than Bioware morality gauges

Order of the Stick makes them work.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Antigravitas posted:

There are games using the D&D corset that still do interesting things. Mask of the Betrayer, for one.

Kingmaker is violently bad with its alignment system. It includes such classics as "good aligned characters are always morons" and evil doing evil for evil's sake

It locks out certain choices if you're not the right alignment but 90% of the time you can pick whatever option you want regardless of the alignment label and all that happens is a dot shifts slightly on a chart.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds, Journey to the Savage Planet, or Control?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hollandia posted:

Outer Wilds or Control.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Hollandia posted:

Outer Wilds, if I had to pick one. It's a really one-of-a-kind game, if you're down for a contemplative, exploratory sort of experience with some existential dread in place of action or combat.

Don't play Outer Worlds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hollandia posted:

Take Control.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

SardonicTyrant posted:

We all know what makes a bad open world game, but what makes a good open world game?

Seconding Breath of the Wild. I found it compelling to explore in a way that I haven't since the GTAIII/VC/SA era, can't put my finger on why exactly but it was a refreshing change from the icon-blizzard of most modern open world games.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Humble is giving out free copies of Aegis Defenders until Sunday (or while supply lasts).

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I just started Control, and I have to say more games need prestige television-style opening title sequences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmC5-GN910

RE2make also has a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-txGTtqyyY

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, shoutout to Irritated Goat for helping me get Forager, I appreciate it!

Also Forager is the perfect skinner box. I can see myself putting many happy hours into this as an alternative to solitaire.

e: An idle game where you have to do the idle stuff.... alternatively, factorio, but you have to mine everything yourself with no automation. I like it, very soothing and mindless and sometimes that's just what I need, y'know?

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 15, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This Steam recommended queue seems like a cool feature, I've got a bundle of games that I've picked up on humble bundles or steam sales which I haven't really touched, hell I'm sure most of us could probably say that

Just played Battleblock Theatre for the first time, nothing special but its a neat 2-d platformer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mechwarrior 5 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are both in the epic sale and with the coupon they're both pretty cheap. Which one does the mercenary/upgrade my poo poo gameloop better?

e: Or should I say gently caress it to both and buy Anno 2205

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just picked up One Step from Eden. It's really fun.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Mechwarrior 5 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are both in the epic sale and with the coupon they're both pretty cheap. Which one does the mercenary/upgrade my poo poo gameloop better?

Mechwarrior 5 can be played for $5 with the Xbox Game Pass if that helps your decision.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anno 2205 is my favorite of the Anno games, and the best "starter" one as it's simplified/streamlined enough mechanics that you can see how you're supposed to set up your production chains. Also it's pretty. If you're already into the rest of Annos is might be a let down, but I wish I could go back in time and just make past!me play it first before trying the others and getting hopelessly lost.

e: hmm, I should think about reinstalling Anno 2070 now that I have a better idea of how the game works. Hmmm.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh, that's interesting. Trying to claim GTA 5 for free on Epic Games Store and I get:

Your account is unable to download any more free games at this time.

Wonder what that's about. I guess I could make a second account.

Edit: Apparently waiting 24 hours and trying again is the solution, according to Epic

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 15, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

Huh, that's interesting. Trying to claim GTA 5 for free on Epic Games Store and I get:

Your account is unable to download any more free games at this time.

Wonder what that's about.
Do you have 2 factor authorization enabled on your account? GTA5 says something about requiring it, but I'm not sure it's connected to your Epic account or something you have to do with your Rockstar account.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Nope, no 2FA - probably they just rate limited it because they're getting hammered.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Gort posted:

Nope, no 2FA - probably they just rate limited it because they're getting hammered.

Uh, you need 2FA on your Epic account to get GTA5. That's probably why you get an error.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i haven't played either so keep that in mind, but i do know that mechwarrior 5 was made by the same guys who did mechwarrior online and that game was a disaster, so i would have major reservations about mechwarrior 5

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i haven't played either so keep that in mind, but i do know that mechwarrior 5 was made by the same guys who did mechwarrior online and that game was a disaster, so i would have major reservations about mechwarrior 5

MW5 is also a disaster! Shocking I know.

However it is all basically fixable with mods, which you can do on EGS but you cannot (currently) do on GamePass. So do with that info what you will. Even at the heights of its bullshit the one thing MWO got right was that the shooty robot parts felt really good and MW5 is the same way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ymgve posted:

Uh, you need 2FA on your Epic account to get GTA5. That's probably why you get an error.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Can't say for sure because I already had 2FA active, but it's not like it's a big effort to set up. Just try it, I guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
MW5 recently got some updates for fancy poo poo with NVidia 2000 series cards, if you have one of those.

Be warned, it says it supports controllers but actually trying to use one is a disaster, or at least it was the last time I played.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ymgve posted:

Ugh, between this and needing the Rockstar launcher too this is a lot of work for a game I only wanted to play if it's free.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hwurmp posted:

:hmmyes: Exactly.

Gort posted:

Might want to turn on at least the email 2Fa before trying again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

Ugh, between this and needing the Rockstar launcher too this is a lot of work for a game I only wanted to play if it's free.
It takes like two minutes to toggle 2FA on and confirm it.

Piekuuns
May 15, 2009
FYI for anyone hoarding chrono.gg coins:

quote:

Starting today, like right now, we’re celebrating Chrono Coins by adding 5, rather than the normal 2, great games to the Coin Shop, but that’s not all. Two weeks from now, on May 29th, we’ll be adding 5 more awesome games, giving you over 30 titles to choose from before the Coin Shop closes one month later on June 29th. At that point, coin collection, unspent coins, and the shop itself will be removed from Chrono.gg.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Far Cry 3, or Far Cry 4? (I already have Blood Dragon)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Far Cry 3, or Far Cry 4? (I already have Blood Dragon)

4, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Jesus, Control is Dark Souls difficult, god drat. I can't get that flying bastard to half health before he two-shots me.

edit: ah I was supposed to hide behind a pillar and take pot shots at him. Pretty lame.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2020