Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Sample_text posted:

Congratulations CIG. You've successfully reached the customization level of ..... Destiny 2.
Oh poo poo I was wrong.......... What I meant was: In about 1 year you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

drat wrong again. You can actually earn "tint palates" in game now. So I guess, in about. 3 years you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

Groundbreaking tech!.

Indeed. Who knows, in four or five years from now, they'll have reached the customisation levels of Elite Dangerous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sample_text posted:

Congratulations CIG. You've successfully reached the customization level of ..... Destiny 2(2017)
Oh poo poo I was wrong.......... What I meant was: In about 1 year you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

drat wrong again. You can actually earn "tint palates" in Destiny 2 by playing the game. So I guess, in about. 3 years you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

Groundbreaking tech!.

The origin 325 series (or w/e) was the nail in the coffin for the pipelines argument imo. They finally add customization, ship colors, internal variations, lots of stuff... and then they never use it for another ship. There are no pipelines. There is no content-oil waiting to be pumped out of the ground. There is only an ever-growing false front to a tiny, dinghy store manned by snake oil salesmen.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The origin 325 series (or w/e) was the nail in the coffin for the pipelines argument imo. They finally add customization, ship colors, internal variations, lots of stuff... and then they never use it for another ship. There are no pipelines. There is no content-oil waiting to be pumped out of the ground. There is only an ever-growing false front to a tiny, dinghy store manned by snake oil salesmen.

https://youtu.be/4PT1evUzJrU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I've been following this for 5 years.

I first saw the gif of the little space ship jumping the ramp, in the "XBox One has the wrong RAM" thread, and asked what it was from.

Now, here I am.

If SQ42 is never released, I will be extremely disappointed.

Without seeing the masterpiece, all my time will have been wasted.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Recorded account of Chris Roberts inventing the shader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8G8nHFQJo&t=283s

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Kosumo posted:

If Chris Roberts was to switch to Unreal 5 Engine he would build full scale RSI space ships and lidar them right?

Why would he do that when he could scan hot dogs, vending machines, fishtank accessories, and bartending equipment. You know, the stuff that people really care about in a space sim

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sample_text posted:

Congratulations CIG. You've successfully reached the customization level of ..... Destiny 2(2017)

drat wrong again. You can actually earn "tint palates" in Destiny 2 by playing the game. So I guess, in about. 3 years you will have reached the customization level of Destiny 2.

Groundbreaking tech!.

They're doing things no one else has ever done in a game before. :shrug:

Soon other studios will be coming to CIG, cap in hand and suitably ashamed, begging to use the groundbreaking tech :trustme: has developed...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

Why would he do that when he could scan hot dogs, vending machines, fishtank accessories, and bartending equipment. You know, the stuff that people really care about in a space sim

"I need higher resolution toilet photogrammetry!"

A line that had never been spoken outside Germany.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The dollop did a hilarious bit on this guy, you should listen. IIRC he might have been poisoned or had a disease?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Unironically they'd have been better off on Unreal from the word "pledge" but it's too late now it's never too late to buy an Idris

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they could have switched to unreal in 2014 and the community would have forgiven them

nah lets do another pledge drive

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jJqMF_zqAc

I wish the art style wasn't so generic and terrible, it's the one visual element that really turns me off. Not sure where all the space devs got it in their heads that flat grey + neon advertisements was the look of the future but I really, really hate it. Give me some Ralph McQuarrie or uh, that designer who inspired the Homeworld series, I forget his name.

E: Chris Foss

It held my interest right until he showed off the "assembly job" thing... Why, why, why, do people keep putting boring wage-slave simulator stuff into these games?

Are people really not getting enough of their boring dead end jobs in real life, they have to play a simulation of it in a game too? "You'll be grinding pretty hard in here to afford your first spaceship."

I just want a game to be fun. I know that is a lot to ask these days, but sheesh.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
It changes the stakes. Like, in Sea of Thieves (space is an infinite ocean!) for example, you get infinite ships for free and the result is you're never really rid of an enemy unless they get bored, nor do you have anything to lose by launching a nonsensical attack when you don't have loot on board. So most battles become battles of attrition where the only resource is stubbornness. On the other hand, if losing a ship means losing a bunch of resources that'll take time to collect again, you're gonna have to consider stuff like fleeing or dropping pursuit, or you'll be prevented from coming back by your lack of a ship. It also enables the whole corporation part of the game where you join a player group because they can provide you with cheap and/or free ships they poo poo out by the dozen thanks to having done the whole grinding bit already.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

you are really good at spotting those things!

I'm a pro penis spotter, first class. :3

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

She knows a dick when she sees one ….. anyone seen Chris?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

Dragon Age 2 got a lot of things right that the other two games got wrong. It was crippled by a lack of development time so we got a lot of copy-pasted areas and basically no agency in the plot, but the punchy combat and a named protagonist would've made 1 and 3 much better.

It's just a shame it got so rushed so now people want to throw the good things out with the bad.

BRB, gnawing my hands off to avoid responding to this

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

This may come as something of a shock to you, but I usually don't put the phrase "imagine myself" ending with "making GBS threads myself" together at any time. Not even in my wild dreams.

All these years and we’ve not heard one of your wild dreams.

<expectant look>

Gort posted:

Dragon Age 2 got a lot of things right that the other two games got wrong. It was crippled by a lack of development time so we got a lot of copy-pasted areas and basically no agency in the plot, but the punchy combat and a named protagonist would've made 1 and 3 much better.

It's just a shame it got so rushed so now people want to throw the good things out with the bad.

No, it got a huge amount of things wrong, and a few things right. Kirkwall was miserable, the whole thing was formulaic and there were effectively three different sets.

Hi, I pre-ordered Dragon Age 2. It was poo poo. From the encounters that were always three waves, to the concept that they wanted people to press a button and see awesome, more Dragon’s lair than Dungeons & Dragons. Even the combat was more just button pressing; the one time I broke a sweat was fighting dragonettes with a rogue and had to keep hitting and running with the recharging secondary.

Even the story was weirdly left field and as you point out, renders all choice meaningless.

Inquisition kind of pulled it back, but it was sprawling and lacked soul.

All of this is IMO obviously. It might be someone else’s peak experience.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

BRB, gnawing my hands off to avoid responding to this

Coward.

“And don’t ever speak to me or my son ever again.”

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

<expectant look>

This is definitely the wrong thread for wild dreams!

There's already enough dreaming going on that will never come true.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Chev posted:

It changes the stakes. Like, in Sea of Thieves (space is an infinite ocean!) for example, you get infinite ships for free and the result is you're never really rid of an enemy unless they get bored, nor do you have anything to lose by launching a nonsensical attack when you don't have loot on board. So most battles become battles of attrition where the only resource is stubbornness. On the other hand, if losing a ship means losing a bunch of resources that'll take time to collect again, you're gonna have to consider stuff like fleeing or dropping pursuit, or you'll be prevented from coming back by your lack of a ship. It also enables the whole corporation part of the game where you join a player group because they can provide you with cheap and/or free ships they poo poo out by the dozen thanks to having done the whole grinding bit already.

Sure, but the stuff you do to grind for the ships or whatever could be fun. Assembling chairs on a virtual factory line, that's not fun.

Heck, I played Eve, at least the grinding could be done AFK- my ship was killing the same NPC pirates over and over, but I was really watching Netflix on the second screen...

Then again, I haven't played in a while and let my sub lapse, so take that for what you will. :shrug:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Horrorosaurus posted:

What you are saying here is, essentially, why ever create anything technically more advanced than Doom (or while we're at it, something from the 80's) since it worked?

How is a plane with 7 million polygons in any way relevant if what they're showing is how much detail you can put in to a project and what's even more incredible, simultaneously having a dynamic light source? If the tech demo was in real time and an honest look at how much can be achieved it was quite impressive to see how they went by a (iirc) 33 million polygon statue with the dynamic lighting and right after that, to a hall with enough instances of said model to pass over a billion polygons. It was somewhere around 6 minutes to the demo. Which it is - a tech demo. It doesn't mean you need to be lazy about your polygon budget, it's there to show you what it can handle. You've done a huge amount of 3D modeling? then why get stuck with naming/concepts like a primitive "Plane" vs "an object initially started with a "Box primitive" or "object_8331", imported from somewhere else? it doesn't matter.

Like you said it's really awesome if it's something that can be applied to any kind of a project without strict limits to what other types of things can be going on at the same time. You don't need to have chamfered corners or edges in every doorway but if you can, while also adding as much geometric detail as you would with a bump map and get more physically based and sharp light/reflection reactions as a result, where's the problem? Don't get this wrong, I don't mean to sound offensive I'm just really baffled.

my point with geometry is you need 2 polygons to make a flat plane, it will always look identical to a plane made with any number more polygons. 33 million would give you the same result . The latter requires a colossal amount more data.

If it works it's already at a point were the quality is already in excess of what is useful, (which is awesome, and why not if you can). The statue is a prefect example, would you be able to notice if it was 1 million triangles ? why not ramp it up to 100 million ? think of it this way the engine is only rendering 20 million triangles at at time that equates to roughly a pixel for every triangle. so not only do we have to down sample the statue at that scale you are using 3 points and a surface to render a single point, why not skip the triangle all together and just use single points? There is a point where adding more points/triangles makes no perceivable difference to quality, and they appear to be well past that. i guess the real beauty of this is you can skip this thought process about quality altogether and just leave everything at best.

The fact it works with 8k textures and dynamic lighting is really astonishing, i agree it would take away the need to do bump mapping and produce better results. I do take your point that the tech demo is pushing only there to push the limits of what can be done, It just looks to me to be swatting a fly with and anti tank gun.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 15, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DigitalPenny posted:

my point with geometry is you need 2 polygons to make a flat plane, it will always look identical to a plane made with any number more polygons. 33 million would give you the same result . The latter requires a colossal amount more data.

If it works it's already at a point were the quality is already in excess of what is useful, (which is awesome, and why not if you can). The statue is a prefect example, would you be able to notice if it was 1 million triangles ? why not ramp it up to 100 million ? think of it this way the engine is only rendering 20 million triangles at at time that equates to roughly a pixel for every triangle. so not only do we have to down sample the statue at that scale you are using 3 points and a surface to render a single point, why not skip the triangle all together and just use single points? There is a point where adding more points/triangles makes no perceivable difference to quality, and they appear to be well past that. i guess the real beauty of this is you can skip this thought process about quality altogether and just leave everything at best.

The fact it works with 8k textures and dynamic lighting is really astonishing, i agree it would take away the need to do bump mapping and produce better results. I do take your point that the tech demo is pushing only there to push the limits of what can be done, It just looks to me to be swatting a fly with and anti tank gun.

I think there's some nerd-effect going on as well, where we spaz out over the technical achievement without actually realizing that the point of graphical processing was to send images to our retinas so we could see something. If your eyes can't tell the difference - hell, there might not even be a difference on the screen itself, even at highest resolution - then rendering 10x as many polygons or whatever we're talking about had no net effect at all. This isn't Atari 2600 days, and there are clear advances from the original Tomb Raider to what that demo showed, but how much better is it likely to get? At some point we'll need 15000K monitors and a microscope to realize the woman's eyelash has a dust mite on it. There comes a point, which I'd argue we've already reached, where the visual quality has saturated our ability to process it reasonably, and we long ago passed the part where it improves the gameplay.

Hell, in some cases the pathological focus on it has replaced gameplay as a top gaming concern. I'm not terribly concerned with whether or not a puddle reflection is shimmering properly based on wind velocity, although there are some who are. If that's what's grabbing your attention in an active war zone you probably deserve the bullet the sniper is lining up.

It's great to keep pushing the graphical processing power, and in fact it's important, but not just to make things look better and better. The processing power should reach a point one day where it looks so good with so little of the GPU used that the rest of that power can go toward other things. I think we've fallen behind on physics engines advances, for example, and there's no reason that has to be CPU. Fully destructible environments are eventually going to become a new way of opening up even more choice and emergent behavior in games. Knocking a statue off a rooftop onto guards patrolling below is 100x more satisfying if you thought of it, rather than the developers programming it into the game as a mechanic.

The demo was really impressive, though, I have to admit. I just wonder if anyone has thought past graphics and into what the new focus should soon start to become. In a sense graphics are the low-hanging fruit because they're so immediately obvious and even a non-gamer can understand that thing A looks vastly better than thing B.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bubbacub posted:

why not mocap earthworms (with tiny little mocap helmets and sensors) and increase their size 1:10.000

would that not be the fastest way to get sandworms in?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bumble He posted:

why not mocap earthworms (with tiny little mocap helmets and sensors) and increase their size 1:10.000

would that not be the fastest way to get sandworms in?

No, a real Sandiworm has a team of divorce lawyers with her.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I think there's some nerd-effect going on as well, where we spaz out over the technical achievement without actually realizing that the point of graphical processing was to send images to our retinas so we could see something. If your eyes can't tell the difference - hell, there might not even be a difference on the screen itself, even at highest resolution - then rendering 10x as many polygons or whatever we're talking about had no net effect at all. This isn't Atari 2600 days, and there are clear advances from the original Tomb Raider to what that demo showed, but how much better is it likely to get? At some point we'll need 15000K monitors and a microscope to realize the woman's eyelash has a dust mite on it. There comes a point, which I'd argue we've already reached, where the visual quality has saturated our ability to process it reasonably, and we long ago passed the part where it improves the gameplay.

Hell, in some cases the pathological focus on it has replaced gameplay as a top gaming concern. I'm not terribly concerned with whether or not a puddle reflection is shimmering properly based on wind velocity, although there are some who are. If that's what's grabbing your attention in an active war zone you probably deserve the bullet the sniper is lining up.

It's great to keep pushing the graphical processing power, and in fact it's important, but not just to make things look better and better. The processing power should reach a point one day where it looks so good with so little of the GPU used that the rest of that power can go toward other things. I think we've fallen behind on physics engines advances, for example, and there's no reason that has to be CPU. Fully destructible environments are eventually going to become a new way of opening up even more choice and emergent behavior in games. Knocking a statue off a rooftop onto guards patrolling below is 100x more satisfying if you thought of it, rather than the developers programming it into the game as a mechanic.

The demo was really impressive, though, I have to admit. I just wonder if anyone has thought past graphics and into what the new focus should soon start to become. In a sense graphics are the low-hanging fruit because they're so immediately obvious and even a non-gamer can understand that thing A looks vastly better than thing B.

So are you in on my kickstarter for a Unreal V engine remake of Atari 2600 Combat or not?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Kosumo posted:

So are you in on my kickstarter for a Unreal V engine remake of Atari 2600 Combat or not?

Where do I pledge?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

For starters can you buy the maximin UAE per-day at the RSI store ….. then I'll meet you at the grey market …. referral code PUTI-NLOV-ESYO-UTOO

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Bubbacub posted:

Why would he do that when he could scan hot dogs

Can't wait for CI(G) to announce their partnership with Doobie's.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Sample_text posted:

Groundbreaking tech!.

Or they're reaching the level of putting iridescent paints on cars in need for speed and forza, which has been around for years, but I'm sure what CIG is doing is light years ahead and worth being a major point of their update :rolleyes:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
no matter what cig do and when they do it

it will always be more fidelitous and thus more better

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

This is definitely the wrong thread for wild dreams!

There's already enough dreaming going on that will never come true.

Maybe Star Citizen was the dreams we shared all along

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Hav posted:

Oh, absolutely not, the game was very disappointing. I just liked that when you hit a button in combat some big poo poo happened, and having a named protagonist is way better than being "The Warden" or "The Pathfinder", and the other two games lacked that.

"Game was bad overall so no decision in it can be good" is a fallacy.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well that was a hell of a weekly video.

Refactored shaders.

And a sadist that wants more people in prison.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Refactored shaders.

it's perfection or bust

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Never backed SC but a friend talked me into joining him for this free fly, despite my only exposure to the state of the game being from SA.

I also have a sub #200 citizen ID, will these dipshits revere me as some kind of god?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

will these dipshits revere me as some kind of god?

that depends exclusively on how many thousands of dollars you've invested into the game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bedshaped posted:

Never backed SC but a friend talked me into joining him for this free fly, despite my only exposure to the state of the game being from SA.

I also have a sub #200 citizen ID, will these dipshits revere me as some kind of god?

Inacio posted:

that depends exclusively on how many thousands of dollars you've invested into the game.

Yeah just say that you’re in for over $20k and you bought an Idris for each member of your family.

Then they might allow you to make an extremely mild criticism of the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hav posted:

<expectant look>

No, it got a huge amount of things wrong, and a few things right. Kirkwall was miserable, the whole thing was formulaic and there were effectively three different sets.

Hi, I pre-ordered Dragon Age 2. It was poo poo. From the encounters that were always three waves, to the concept that they wanted people to press a button and see awesome, more Dragon’s lair than Dungeons & Dragons. Even the combat was more just button pressing; the one time I broke a sweat was fighting dragonettes with a rogue and had to keep hitting and running with the recharging secondary.

Even the story was weirdly left field and as you point out, renders all choice meaningless.

Inquisition kind of pulled it back, but it was sprawling and lacked soul.

I will bravely say that I highly enjoyed both DA2 and Inquisition. They were both played quite a while ago and the fact that I can't remember any of these downsides but I certainly do remember playing them for long sessions and having a good time seems to speak well of them.

Looking forward to the next one for sure.