Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sri.Theo posted:

When using the Outlook app should it be able to wake the phone up to give notifications?

My calendar events aren’t popping up and I’m not sure why. I have everything turned on in notifications apart from badges in Settings and in the app.

Any ideas?

I had this happen once and deleting and reinstalling the app fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there a way to speed up or force update between photos with your phone and your computer? iCloud is so drat slow I might as well airdrop new photos. /rant

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Housh posted:

Is there a way to speed up or force update between photos with your phone and your computer? iCloud is so drat slow I might as well airdrop new photos. /rant

Faster internet connection/better WiFi network? It’s basically uploading from your phone to iCloud, and then synchronizing the new files from the cloud to your computer.

AirDrop would probably be faster but it skips the upload to iCloud part.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

Faster internet connection/better WiFi network? It’s basically uploading from your phone to iCloud, and then synchronizing the new files from the cloud to your computer.

AirDrop would probably be faster but it skips the upload to iCloud part.

I'm on gigabit everything is fast except photos syncing. Even iCloud backup of my documents is fast. Must be something wrong I'm not seeing. iPhone 7 Plus to 2016 MacBook Pro both on same home network.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's cloud background syncing poo poo. It shows up when it shows up, if you need it immediately email it to yourself. :v:

This is how the world works now.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I use Google Photos -- I never touch iCloud photos. If I need photo(s) from my phone for anything on my PC I open up GPhotos, tap a buttan and it's done in 15 seconds if it wasn't already done automatically.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I restarted both my phone and laptop....now it works. Why did we let things get this way?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

TheWevel posted:

Well, it's finally happened: I shattered the back of my iPhone XR. This is the first time I've broken one of my phones, going all the way back to the plastic iPhone 3G. It's in a case...is there anything I need to worry about other than the fact that I feel like my phone is tainted for some reason?

Put it in a case to protect your hand & keep it from getting worse. Water resistance is now non-existent, so be careful about that. And it’s very likely you won’t be able to trade it in on any official channels when you’re done with it, so eBay or whatever if you want to get some cash when you eventually replace it.

Third party back replacements will suck and last I heard, Apple charged the full device replacement price since that involves swapping the entire housing to do it right.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Rick posted:

I had this happen once and deleting and reinstalling the app fixed it.

Good idea, I'm going to try this for Teams since it's sucked with notifications lately. Hope I don't have to reinstall the stupid management profile.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I've been seriously impressed with OneDrive lately. I drag a photo into a synced folder on my desktop PC, it immediately shows up on my phone, even if the desktop hasn't finished uploading it yet. Interact with it, it spins for a second or two until the upload is done, and bam, it's right there.

Wish iCloud was that good for anything.

Although the OneDrive desktop client is a resource hog when processing large directories.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have way, way more problems with OneDrive and file corruption than I’ve ever had with iCloud Drive.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Fascinating. I sync hundreds of gigs of RAW photos with OneDrive and have never had a corruption issue (don't worry, they are backed up elsewhere as well). I also sync VeraCrypt volumes and never had an issue there either, and even a single bit corrupted there would break the whole thing. OneDrive uses the last modified timestamp as a signal for what is newer, so if you have an application (like VeraCrypt) that prefers not to update the timestamp, you will run into issues until you change that config. It's the only issue I've had. What have your corruption issues looked like?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TVs Ian posted:

Put it in a case to protect your hand & keep it from getting worse. Water resistance is now non-existent, so be careful about that. And it’s very likely you won’t be able to trade it in on any official channels when you’re done with it, so eBay or whatever if you want to get some cash when you eventually replace it.

Third party back replacements will suck and last I heard, Apple charged the full device replacement price since that involves swapping the entire housing to do it right.

Cool, thanks. It's my work phone so I don't care about resale...it just needs to make it until March of next year when I can get a new one.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OneDrive is absolute garbage. My experience with it is corporate, so it’s possible my issues stem from my company’s policies/hosting/etc. if you have “too many” files, it will struggle to sync changes, which is a problem if you have any files or folders you’re updating several times a day.

Files are stored on your local hard drive (if you configure it to do so), but when you open the file, it downloads the “latest” copy off OneDrive, which then overwrites your actual latest file in your hard drive, and then everything you did over the last 1-3 days is gone.

It will simply not sync some files, leaving you to find it missing when you need it. Who knows how many files I have missing from when I attempted to migrate everything last year.

If there is an issue preventing a file from syncing, the interface for resolving it is terrible, essentially nonexistent. It’s reduced to a pop up window in the task bar that disappears once you click on it. The other day I had 914 conflicts. I don’t remember what I did, but it certainly wasn’t the “suggested” which was to delete the file so the cloud version could download. “File already exists in OneDrive. If these files are the same, delete the local copy.” I did they for one file, which then deleted from OneDrive :hellyeah:

I would rather pay money for Dropbox than use OneDrive for free.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

What have your corruption issues looked like?

Excel documents. A whole bunch of times, and it kills the version history too. Have sometimes been able to recover to a degree from the web version and export but it’s always a crap shoot.

I’m guessing it’s down to the sheer amount of auto saving. A lot of the time auto save will poo poo the bed and say it can’t save for whatever reason, and they’re you have the fun game of trying to see if it’ll save anywhere and try recover your data while you still see it in front of you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dropbox is the fastest and most reliable cloud storage service i've used but i hate that they don't offer anything cheaper than 2tb for $12/mo. i use google drive because it's the next-best one that offers smaller, cheaper plans. i use and support onedrive for work and i hate it. i tried icloud drive but files.app sucks rear end so i gave up on using it for anything except backups and photos

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yikes, guess I've been lucky then.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

EL BROMANCE posted:

Excel documents. A whole bunch of times, and it kills the version history too. Have sometimes been able to recover to a degree from the web version and export but it’s always a crap shoot.

I’m guessing it’s down to the sheer amount of auto saving. A lot of the time auto save will poo poo the bed and say it can’t save for whatever reason, and they’re you have the fun game of trying to see if it’ll save anywhere and try recover your data while you still see it in front of you.

We use Onedrive/Sharepoint at work and have terabytes and terabytes of data. The only files I've ever seen issues with are Excel docs. Excel is always a pain even when the files are shared on an on premise file share. The only solutions I can offer aren't always practical, but i suggest accessing the file on the web when possible. If you have to open a file on the desktop client, make sure you're the only person accessing it at the time.

Toe Rag posted:

OneDrive is absolute garbage. My experience with it is corporate, so it’s possible my issues stem from my company’s policies/hosting/etc. if you have “too many” files, it will struggle to sync changes, which is a problem if you have any files or folders you’re updating several times a day.

Files are stored on your local hard drive (if you configure it to do so), but when you open the file, it downloads the “latest” copy off OneDrive, which then overwrites your actual latest file in your hard drive, and then everything you did over the last 1-3 days is gone.

It will simply not sync some files, leaving you to find it missing when you need it. Who knows how many files I have missing from when I attempted to migrate everything last year.

If there is an issue preventing a file from syncing, the interface for resolving it is terrible, essentially nonexistent. It’s reduced to a pop up window in the task bar that disappears once you click on it. The other day I had 914 conflicts. I don’t remember what I did, but it certainly wasn’t the “suggested” which was to delete the file so the cloud version could download. “File already exists in OneDrive. If these files are the same, delete the local copy.” I did they for one file, which then deleted from OneDrive :hellyeah:

I would rather pay money for Dropbox than use OneDrive for free.

Yeah that sounds like some stuff you need to talk to your admins about. You definitely shouldn't be encountering issues like that. That said,

Toe Rag posted:

It's supposed to work like that. poo poo in your Onedrive folder is supposed to sync and grab the newest version available.If there's files you don't want changed, don't save them there. If you have to put them there, make sure no one else can edit it.

edit: I'm not a OneDrive or Microsoft shill. Just a guy who has waded through the depths of this poo poo for a living.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 15, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivo posted:

Yikes, guess I've been lucky then.

OneDrive has been fine for me too, but I'm not much of a power user. Just use it to store some documents I edit in multiple places.

All my exported-for-web photos end up in my iCloud drive, mostly because I actually pay for some iCloud storage for my iPhone backups and I figure I should use that over all the free cloud storage drives I have.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I tried to replace the battery in my OG SE and it seems I bricked the device. I did end up having to pry quite a bit to get the old battery out. Is there anything I can try before I recycle this bitch?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

willroc7 posted:

I tried to replace the battery in my OG SE and it seems I bricked the device. I did end up having to pry quite a bit to get the old battery out. Is there anything I can try before I recycle this bitch?

Sorry man. Maybe genius bar will fiddle with the innards of your device for free as part of the diagnostic to see if they spot something wrong? I don't imagine a DIY repair would disqualify from them trying to help you out but not sure on that.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Weedle posted:

dropbox is the fastest and most reliable cloud storage service i've used but i hate that they don't offer anything cheaper than 2tb for $12/mo. i use google drive because it's the next-best one that offers smaller, cheaper plans. i use and support onedrive for work and i hate it. i tried icloud drive but files.app sucks rear end so i gave up on using it for anything except backups and photos

You can occasionally buy 1-year Dropbox Plus vouchers for like $80 or whatever from Amazon or some other web store. Set up a SlickDeals alert. Amex also just ran a $40 off a purchase deal for Dropbox, too. The vouchers all stack, so you can always buy a couple at a time and just add them to your account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Weedle posted:

dropbox is the fastest and most reliable cloud storage service i've used but i hate that they don't offer anything cheaper than 2tb for $12/mo.

They also try to trick you into giving them full access to your computer and are basically just trying to install malware at this point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dropbox did weird poo poo with their service that caused apps to drop support and made me have to pay more money for 1Password so I just switched to OneDrive

OneDrive is pretty nice and works solidly between my Macbook, iPhone, and Windows desktop. I don't think I've had any of the issues people described but I'm not a power user.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 15, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's supposed to work like that. poo poo in your Onedrive folder is supposed to sync and grab the newest version available.If there's files you don't want changed, don't save them there. If you have to put them there, make sure no one else can edit it.

edit: I'm not a OneDrive or Microsoft shill. Just a guy who has waded through the depths of this poo poo for a living.

I'm not sure about that. If my local file has a modified today of Yesterday, 5PM, and the OneDrive file has a modified date of 4 days ago, 1PM, why would it overwrite my local file with the cloud file? It's not shared with anyone, and the cloud copy is definitely out of date. It's possible it is trying to download the cloud file, and then merge my local file changes into it (I've seen this happen with the file open; wild stuff), but given the sync issues (OneDrive cannot reliably sync more than 100,000 files; it will sit there "syncing" a 2MB file for days on end), I can no longer trust it with any files I heavily rely on. I wouldn't be complaining, except I synced twice as many files on Dropbox for years without issue. I don't want to turn this into a derail, so I'll just accept that OneDrive isn't for me, and I'll have to figure something else out. My company banned Dropbox about a year ago :rip:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I pay for Dropbox, iCloud and have a drive connected to my router using samba. Dropbox is the best but expensive and the new app is ugly and annoying.

Can’t win.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

willroc7 posted:

With this little detail it's impossible to say anything.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I have zero issues with iCloud and it's very useful for keeping my photos and documents synced between my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook Pro. I've had genuinely no problems with the platform in several years and I'm very happy with how Apple has progressed iCloud from where it started with intuitive features and smart design.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Cloud storage doesn’t work well for large files or many files. It will generally stall out on the former and spend two days indexing the latter.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

endlessmonotony posted:

With this little detail it's impossible to say anything.

That's fair but I really have no idea where to start, if anywhere. It doesn't power on or do anything once I put it back together. I checked all the connections I undid (home button and battery) and they seem OK. I'll prob just have to bin it.

In other news I got a 2020 SE in the mail today. I fought the big phone life as long as I could, forgive me.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

willroc7 posted:

That's fair but I really have no idea where to start, if anywhere. It doesn't power on or do anything once I put it back together. I checked all the connections I undid (home button and battery) and they seem OK. I'll prob just have to bin it.

In other news I got a 2020 SE in the mail today. I fought the big phone life as long as I could, forgive me.

I definitely wouldn't bin a SE, doubly so one that has its screen original and intact.

If you had a spare battery you could test if it's just the battery that's hosed. One very common thing with batteries like the SE is that you got the connector in wrong, because that's a possibility (even likely) if you're not a robot. Learning how the battery connector feels when it's connecting the right way is rather difficult and relies on your sense of touch and preferably someone showing you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And if you try to say you're sure you've got it right you've not got it right.

That fucker can take me five minutes to reconnect even when I know exactly what I'm doing. It's got a few false positions that might feel like you've got the connection right even when you don't and it'll stay down but not work. The right position is the one where you feel resistance after it "snaps" and need to push it down still.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I personally found iCloud sucked and OneDrive has been working well. I guess I don’t really stress it too much though.

It’s also far cheaper for 1tb of space.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

cowofwar posted:

Cloud storage doesn’t work well for large files or many files. It will generally stall out on the former and spend two days indexing the latter.

I think this is the area where Dropbox shines. Although I am another vote for "I'd pay them if they had cheaper and smaller plans. Also if they'd stop trying to gain permissions I'm never going to give them on my macbook"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Weird question but can anyone suggest some sort of probe camera with a light on a lightning cable that could be plugged in to the iphone? Basically a camera probe that could be used to look in to grates, pipes, etc with the phone showing what the probe sees.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cowofwar posted:

Weird question but can anyone suggest some sort of probe camera with a light on a lightning cable that could be plugged in to the iphone? Basically a camera probe that could be used to look in to grates, pipes, etc with the phone showing what the probe sees.

You want an endoscope.

Now finding one with a Lightning connector that isn't awful might be a tricky situation.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

endlessmonotony posted:

You want an endoscope.

Now finding one with a Lightning connector that isn't awful might be a tricky situation.
I assume wireless ones are poo poo with awful stuttering?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WALTR 2 is on sale for $5. Super useful utility.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

cowofwar posted:

I assume wireless ones are poo poo with awful stuttering?

Either that or expensive as poo poo.

But the ones with a cable often just have garbage cameras too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am attempting to move from Apple Music to Spotify and cant seem to find the answer I need online.

is it possible to import a playlist from iTunes on MacOS to Spotify on MacOS? purely using a computer because this kind of function doesnt seem like it would exist within the iOS apps.

There is stuff from a few years ago saying how to, but some of the options are missing now.

Not at all concerned with moving over locally stored files, just the actual list of songs I have accumulated in Apple Music over to Spotify.

its only about 500 songs but i would rather not have to manually hunt down each one to add to a playlist.