Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cool older article by Walter Jon Williams about writing Aristoi:

quote:

When I wrote Aristoi I drat near had to teach myself to write all over again. The book was just that different.

When I started writing science fiction, I believe in late 1983, I came up with a list of what I wanted to do. Because I’d come from a fairly limited branch of historical fiction— naval action-adventure, where every plot concerned about 200 males on a ship— I wanted to expand in as many directions as possible.

So here is my list:

-The future where everything went right. (This became my novel Knight Moves.)
-The future where everything went wrong. (Hardwired)
-A mystery/thriller (Voice of the Whirlwind)
-A first-contact novel (Angel Station)
-A comedy (The Crown Jewels)
-A hard-boiled mystery (Days of Atonement)

In an extremely creative period of maybe three of four months in 1983, I conceived of and at least lightly plotted each of these works. Which, as I wrote them, led to a certain amount of anxiety. I was coming to the end of my list. What would I write next? What if I’d burned myself out creatively back in 1984?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Dang, that's a list. Half of those are really good, the other half is certainly readable. And he hadn't done Aristoi or Metropolitan yet!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I liked Ninefox since it established the whole universal setup of weird calendar magic and half-living ships and playing rock paper scissors with fleets. Both sequels felt seriously idea-starved.

and too many characters. I loved the focus in Ninefox

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1260707417475756032?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OK, I bought The Monster. General B, I have faith in you to deliver a title for the fourth book. Don't let me down.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Jedit posted:

OK, I bought The Monster. General B, I have faith in you to deliver a title for the fourth book. Don't let me down.

General B doesn't owe any of us a single thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought the Tor email that gave away the first book said the third is the conclusion? Or was that another typo?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think that was referring to Scalzi's trilogy, yeah. Somebody forgot to update the copy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Right now I am thinking it will be called The Ends of Baru Cormorant? I dunno.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Call it Baru Cormorant 1 to confuse the gently caress outta people like they did with Battlefield and Xbox.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Call it The Traitor, or The Traitor Baru Cormorant in the UK.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1260973479370936320?s=19

e: april of next year, and it's another novella, 150~ pages

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 14, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

so I'm reading James White and having a great time and I knew this was coming but what the gently caress:

quote:

"oh well, misogyny is an allowable neurosis"

when earlier they established that racism isn't an allowable neurosis, nor prejudice of any kind

did the author have ANY twitch, any recognition of how this is stupid? signs point to no and he's dead so I can't ask, but man! man!!!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1260973479370936320?s=19

e: april of next year, and it's another novella, 150~ pages

Ugh, I hate having to wait almost a year for about 2, maybe 3 hours of fun reading.

Skritch
Jul 12, 2000
Bad lessons I learned from reading KJ Parker's Engineer trilogy

1. Love turns people into amoral sociopaths who believe that no amount of collateral damage is unreasonable.
2. It's okay to be an amoral sociopath. You can rationalize your behavior by saying you "had no choice".
3. A very effective way of manipulating people is to back them into a bad situation where their good intentions will direct them along the path to ruin you've prepared for them. Because you have no choice, why should anyone else?
4. Making yourself a vital part of an organzation is the best way to position yourself to betray everyone in it, thus backing them into a bad situation. Bonus: you can use the inevitable destruction to scapegoat and eliminate those who know too much with minimal personal consequences.
5. The best way to get warring factions to stop fighting is to unite them against a bunch of uncivilized desert dwellers.

Like "Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City" (which I devoured in one sitting due to its excellent pace), the ending didn't have a strong conclusion. If that's the way Parker ends all his stories, then I'm not particularly keen on starting any more of them despite the craft he puts into them.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I liked Ninefox since it established the whole universal setup of weird calendar magic and half-living ships and playing rock paper scissors with fleets. Both sequels felt seriously idea-starved.

Well yeah, the universe is cool, execution was mediocre. Also, the drop in quality was bad enough to kill off any interest in the last one.
Follows the usual path of sci-fi/fantasy with being big on ideas, bad at telling a story.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Skritch posted:

If that's the way Parker ends all his stories, then I'm not particularly keen on starting any more of them despite the craft he puts into them.
Well, they're all downers where every single character is an rear end in a top hat if that is what you mean.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The nice and accurate ends of Baru Cormorant.

I've been re-reading Olaf stapledon and his last and first men and starmaker.hes got such a clear and distinct voice.
He reads like an author from the 70's.only , ya know, writing in the 1930's.
Where those the first examples of sci fi stories that bridge eons?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just want a space magic tactics game based on 9FG

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

Plural? Colour me intrigued.

Also it's going to annoy the UK publisher, who will have to publish a book called "The Ends" or admit they hosed up in the first place. This pleases me.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AS84PM/
Note that The Troupe and The Company Man by him are still $1.99.

The Corporation Wars (Dissidence, Insurgence, Emergence) by Ken MacLeod - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DC24GD2/

pradmer fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 15, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baru's Happy Ending :sun:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I've been re-reading Olaf stapledon and his last and first men and starmaker.hes got such a clear and distinct voice.
He reads like an author from the 70's.only , ya know, writing in the 1930's.
Where those the first examples of sci fi stories that bridge eons?

I read one of his books once and his voice had all the liveliness of a wikipedia article, not really a big fan. It's cool that he was an actual philosopher though i guess.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

mewse posted:

Wouldn't that be something like "The Satisfied Baru Cormorant"?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I tried reading the first book when Tor offered it as a giveaway and I'm having trouble getting past all the "Lesbians are unnatural!" poo poo.

Does it get better?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I tried reading the first book when Tor offered it as a giveaway and I'm having trouble getting past all the "Lesbians are unnatural!" poo poo.

Does it get better?

That's just the villains being villainous, and isn't borne out by the story; if you mean it's unsubtle, yes, the Masquerade in general is Evil.

mewse posted:

We've already had that in The Monster :wiggle:

A human heart posted:

I read one of his books once and his voice had all the liveliness of a wikipedia article, not really a big fan. It's cool that he was an actual philosopher though i guess.

Yeah, Last and First Men and the beginning of Star Maker are pretty dry, but the second one is more exciting towards the end, I thought. I think his other books are more like normal novels.

Nice read, thanks.

Jedit posted:

This is either bloody rude or some very poorly chosen words, please be a bit more careful.

I'm the Book Barn IK. Feel free to PM me or email bookbarnsecretsanta@gmail.com if I can help you with anything.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 15, 2020

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Does it get better?

Well, no, that sticks around because that's a large part of what Baru's fighting against as she herself is a lesbian raised by bisexuals. If Falcrest was suddenly not super messed up about a whole load of things, there wouldn't really be much of a plot.

You did get that the "Lesbians are unnatural" was presented as the thing the bad guys thought, right?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

team overhead smash posted:

Well, no, that sticks around because that's a large part of what Baru's fighting against as she herself is a lesbian raised by bisexuals. If Falcrest was suddenly not super messed up about a whole load of things, there wouldn't really be much of a plot.

You did get that the "Lesbians are unnatural" was presented as the thing the bad guys thought, right?

Unless Baru is also a bad guy and I just haven't read far enough to find out otherwise, it seems to be a belief everyone holds, including Baru (she just doesn't believe the girl that the instructor is trying to molest should be punished for it).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Does it get better?

Not in the short term. The books are about colonialism (including internalized oppression) and women's bodies are a major target of colonial processes. Baru has severe double consciousness and doesn't really start realizing how deeply she's internalized Falcrest's ideology until the second and third books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The bad guys believing that women are intrinsically better at math doesn't make it true either, for example.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

But I am definitely in favor of not reading books you won't enjoy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Baru is a book series I respect a lot but cannot read because it's too drat dark. Depicting colonialism as well as you do... well, it's awful and difficult to read. Good luck with the final volume, and I hope you have many sales.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The bad guys believing that women are intrinsically better at math doesn't make it true either, for example.

What about the phrenology?? :ohdear:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I remember the first time I read a post recommending Baru that it was a bit bleak and that I should have a fun cozy read lined up after as a "chaser". I think I followed up Baru with Goblin Emperor or Becky Chambers.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xtanstic posted:

I remember the first time I read a post recommending Baru that it was a bit bleak and that I should have a fun cozy read lined up after as a "chaser". I think I followed up Baru with Goblin Emperor or Becky Chambers.

Yeah, I read The Goblin Emperor immediately afterwards and that was a good choice. Definitely have something warm and cozy lined up.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
A buddy in my writing group wrote what may be the seminal work in the penispunk genre. It's military SF, but all the tech is penis-based. It's called ASSAULT ON BALL'S DEEP, and it's free for two days. I thought it was hilarious:

https://www.amazon.com/Assault-Ball...89566091&sr=8-1

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am close friends with the author of 'Adventures of the Detachable Penis' and I so seldom get a chance to brag about it.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

BananaNutkins posted:

seminal work

penispunk genre

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Baru is a book series I respect a lot but cannot read because it's too drat dark. Depicting colonialism as well as you do... well, it's awful and difficult to read. Good luck with the final volume, and I hope you have many sales.

It seemed like very light imperialism to me. Like, the way Falcrest takes over Baru's homeland seems so much more modern-day technocratic and less bloody than historical imperialism.