Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

still easier to read than his usual posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I do have a couple I can share from another idiot though lol.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the '68-69 H3N2 flu pandemic killed an estimated 100,000 people in the US, with 70% of the mortalities occurring during a 6 month outbreak in 1968 and the rest during a milder second wave in 1969:

https://academic.oup.com/jid/article/192/2/233/856805

So yeah, it's way too early to claim that the Hong Kong flue was a worse pandemic that COVID-19. If this was 1968 we'd still be in the "sporadic activity" part of the outbreak just before poo poo really hit the fan.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

yes, noted high brow death cultists like new Zealand's pm and the epidemiologist advising Hong Kong (
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/opinion/coronavirus-end-social-distancing.html ) have strategies to reduce the measures from shelter in place down to social distance and wear masks. full lockdown measures make sense when the cost of a lockdown is less than the cost of the virus.

doomering is nearly as bad as the actual death cult drat

Look at this nerd, who thinks Americans can be trusted to actually do the nuanced and correct thing, medically speaking, while also having health care for minor medical issues.

So how many of her co-workers stood up and went?

alphabettitouretti posted:

yeah remember when the whole pirate industry got shut down and that's why we now all legally purchase and/or stream content.

I remember when it took a hell of a blow from honest efforts, but then the shareholder's quarterly demanded they take a ripe poo poo on long term gains by marking up and loving around to bring in an additional 1.2% for the gross earnings :capitalism:

Mayor Dave posted:

Go to the doctor wtf

America :911::patriot::911:

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Hong Kong Flu-y

RandomBlue posted:

They made it a huge PITA to get any money into or out of online gambling sites for US players years ago. I'm surprised the gaming industry hasn't succeeded in using the pandemic to get online gambling legalized in the US.

If gambling makes it as easy to get money into their system as online loot box mechanics, there's going to be a hell of a revelation about loot box mechanics.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1261331443516653570

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I think a goon yesterday said it sounds like that some verison of this continues to live in your nerve ends, like an infectious MS

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1261311641016315904

Shot

quote:

Genevieve Peters, a woman who went viral for recording herself refusing to wear a face mask at Trader Joe’s last week, revealed she’s now experiencing a “sore throat and lymph nodes.”

In the video, which was uploaded to YouTube last Thursday, Peters took of her mask at the Trader Joe’s checkout and refused to put it back on when asked by a worker at the store.
“I’m in a public space,” Peters protested, incorrectly. “I’m uncomfortable wearing a mask.”

As the worker called the police, Peters complained, “They’re literally calling the police on me because I’m not putting this mask on,” before explaining she didn’t want to wear a mask because “it’s unhealthy for me.”

“I don’t want to breathe my own CO2. There’s many researchers,” she insisted. “They’re bogus rules… It’s ridiculous. There’s so much research that says we actually are in danger of having this mask, of breathing my own CO2. Do you understand that?”

“I’m not endangering you because I’m a healthy person,” Peters said.

Peters then went on to make a scene for 20 minutes, arguing with workers, before finally leaving the store.

Chaser

quote:

On Thursday, exactly one week after uploading her video, Peters uploaded another video to her Facebook page — which has over 7,000 followers — captioned, “Health Update after yesterday’s sore throat and lymph nodes.”

“Yesterday, I let you guys know that I had a sore throat and it was feeling like it was going into my lymph nodes, and the reason I posted it was because I knew I had zero fear that I will be a statistic on the Covid-19,” Peters declared. “I’m not saying I might not get it, I might get it, I mean anyone could get it, right? I mean, it’s like the flu. I’ve had the flu many times in my life. But I’ve survived it.”

“And the reason I put it out there is I wanted to show that if you start feeling symptoms, there is zero panic. Zero panic. Why? Because I’m healthy. Healthy people can get sick… It doesn’t mean the end,” she continued, adding, “There’s bacteria, there’s viruses, they’ve been around for millions of years, really, and the most important thing is that our body is equipped for that.”

“It has what we call an immune system. So when I was feeling sick yesterday, I knew that all I had to do was boost my immune system,” Peters concluded, before showing off an array of natural remedies she had acquired.

On her Facebook page, Peters describes herself as a “Rabid Lover of America, Freedom, the Constitution and the GREATEST PRESIDENT Donald J. Trump!”

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

the us constitution does not say that

It's right there between "We hold these truths to be self-evident" and "OBAMAGATE"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

Only 100k dead in 2 months. This is acceptable.

~50k dead every month for ??? months but it's the libs who demand death

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the only thing the constitution means anymore is white supremacy and unregulated capital

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think a goon yesterday said it sounds like that some verison of this continues to live in your nerve ends, like an infectious MS

Shingles is a similar virus that hides out the nervous system and can emerge when the immune system starts weakening.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Goa Tse-tung posted:

everyday we find more ways this thing fucks us which makes sense considering it made the jump from bats to pangolins to us, it's a nervy little bastard

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1261335296760840192?s=20
Don't let them come back

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Log082 posted:

you might want to read the constitution again

Whoops. Always get the declaration and constitution mixed up. :/ Thanks. So were they not codified at all?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

etalian posted:

Shingles is a similar virus that hides out the nervous system and can emerge when the immune system starts weakening.

eh, that's a herpesvirus latent phase. coronaviruses don't have mechanisms for that in their life cycle that we know of. bats can be persistently infected, but bats are weird with viruses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4369385/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

how did your mom get a test without symptoms??

:shrug: I sent a text asking, I'll update once I find out.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

UnknownTarget posted:

Whoops. Always get the declaration and constitution mixed up. :/ Thanks. So were they not codified at all?

liberal justices have found stuff like the penumbra of rights but that faction is out of power for the next quarter century at least and the justices who have power now have made it really clear that they're mostly there to give legal cover to whatever republicans pass and to destroy any attempts at reform

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RCamposDuffy/status/1261090637543354375
https://mobile.twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1261181910107242501
https://mobile.twitter.com/GottaLaff/status/1261330550846939136

https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1261260184036483075

quote:

Wisconsin's coronavirus figures continue to rise with more than 300 newly confirmed cases as citizens return to normality after a stay-at-home order was lifted across the stateIts cumulative cases throughout the pandemic rose to 11,275, with 373 of those recorded on Thursday, the third-largest daily peak for the month. The freshly reported cases are of infections that predate the end of Wisconsin's lockdown.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you do have a right to drink beer though, it says it in the constitution

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

every finance person i know from nyc escaped to either in the hamptons or newport ri on week 1

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One week for now- I'm having harder time breathing I'm going to the hospital, please pray for me

A week later - Obituary posted in the local paper describing her as sweet and caring

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
TRUMP ventalators are the Manhattan Project, just loving kill me now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

liberal justices have found stuff like the penumbra of rights but that faction is out of power for the next quarter century at least and the justices who have power now have made it really clear that they're mostly there to give legal cover to whatever republicans pass and to destroy any attempts at reform

it’s not important anymore for the reasons you mention but historically the court has always found that states in particular have extraordinary powers in emergencies (“the constitution is not a suicide pact.”). this is especially true for things like getting a hair cut which is not protected speech lmao

it was incredible dumb to see people protesting “tyranny” ... a tyrant would not have let them protest

anyways the courts are now jsut about rubber stamping white supremacy and unregulated capital (Americans own version of fascism )

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Dolphin posted:

you do have a right to drink beer though, it says it in the constitution

nah, george washington erased that right when he crushed the Whiskey Rebellion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

compare the privilege of the armed chuds in Michigan vs the poor asylum seekers at the border

no rational constitutional analysis can merge the two responses without out right admitting fascism is the law of the land

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

magiccarpet posted:

every finance person i know from nyc escaped to either in the hamptons or newport ri on week 1

Maybe they can reflect on whether it makes sense to spend 2x+ the national cost of living to live in NYC?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
NYS struggling that they can't follow up Cuomo's statement that nursing home residents would be tested twice a week.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

euphronius posted:

the only thing the constitution means is white supremacy and unregulated capital

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/weijia/status/1261309682985172992

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I’m the New Yorkers who high tailed it for bakersfield

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hitting 100k deaths in another week or two feels like it should be some kind of big deal - I mean, that's something like 0.03% of the entire U.S. population. There's something morbid about how high the threshold is for the number of deaths where it can still feel abstract to most people, focusing their frustration on the response instead of the crisis itself.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it seems i don't have covid-19. it's just that i have a bunch of mold in mildew in my lungs that my humidifier shot into the air and i greedily inhaled

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Roughly 5 percent of residents — or about 420,000 people — left the city between March 1 and May 1. In the city’s very wealthiest blocks, in neighborhoods like the Upper East Side, the West Village, SoHo and Brooklyn Heights, residential population decreased by 40 percent or more,

The more valuable the location the faster people left, lol

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
According to the new head of operation WARP SPEED, America will deliver a few million doses of a viable vaccine by the end of the year

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Cao Ni Ma posted:

One week for now- I'm having harder time breathing I'm going to the hospital, please pray for me

A week later - Obituary posted in the local paper describing her as sweet and caring

:jackbud:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mayor Dave posted:

According to the new head of operation WARP SPEED, America will deliver a few million doses of a viable vaccine by the end of the year

lmao for what disease

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

MysteriousStranger posted:

oh gently caress yeah it is.

so I had a hemorrhoid. didn't start off bad but ended up the size of a small grape (external) and as it grew the pain got insane. was purple like a grape as well from the blood clot and the skin was stretch so thin you could see everything. so infected it burned to the touch as well. i'd seen the doctor at the start and they had told me it would go away and given me creams and bath instructions, didn't do poo poo. so after week I gave up and decided to lance the fucker. i've pierced my own ears before, given myself stitches, and hot metal cauterized wounds before all sans any sort of pain killer so should be easy right? WRONG! any attempt to lance the fucker resulted in horrific pain and I couldn't finish it, plus trying to aim down there is hard, you can see it and no amount of mirror acrobatics helped. I flailed about for an hour or so and went to work.

Well midway through the day the pain just stopped, I didn't fell anything, couldn't tell just went away. Then there was this horrid smell and my rear end was wet, put my hand on my pants and those were wet as well. I damaged it enough it just blew up. Said I had to go for personal reasons and went home. Dr. said it was fine and that often happens.

so yeah, hemorrhoid bad

:goonsay:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

lol

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
100k people in like 2 months is a lot of people in a very short amount of time for pandemics that used to last like a year and only broke out in small portions of the world before mass transit occured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

lmao for what disease
PELOSI