Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

So about the world of Elysium: is it literally a shattered world? Like someone blew up a perfectly normal planet and the pieces are being held together by the Pale, which is apparently... *unreality*? :psyduck:

That wasn’t my sense. I just got the sense that this was how that world was, the reality of it. No explanation for why really. No ancient cataclysm. Just a completely different conception of what reality might look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the pale is the past

i will not be taking any questions

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Doc Hawkins posted:

the pale is the past

i will not be taking any questions

It's this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

That wasn’t my sense. I just got the sense that this was how that world was, the reality of it. No explanation for why really. No ancient cataclysm. Just a completely different conception of what reality might look like.

Yeah that's what I mean, like someone did that, not saying that it definitely was that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It is magic realism, an external reflection of am emotional reality.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's ravenloft but instead of gothic horror it's all failed states

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Pale is capitalism, except it's also global warming, except it's also reactionary politics of inertia, and a whole lot of other things. It's the weight of history that's dooming you in the present.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So apparently the Measurehead fight leaked into reality:

https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1260086476001423360

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

wiegieman posted:

The Pale is capitalism, except it's also global warming, except it's also reactionary politics of inertia, and a whole lot of other things. It's the weight of history that's dooming you in the present.

It's absolutely all these social forces but it's also personal history. It's the last thing you said to your dad, it's the three years you spent drinking and gaining weight, it's the reason she blocked your number.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the only part i don't understand is how people can drive through it

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Dr Christmas posted:

So apparently the Measurehead fight leaked into reality:

https://twitter.com/fallenleo/status/1260086476001423360

I'm kind of confused. This appears to be a white guy beating up another white guy? Am I missing something?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Metaphorically idk I’m sure you can come up with something that works with whatever way you want to interpret it. Within the internal structure of the game that’s just how it works. it’s as fundamental to the reality as gravity or matter.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
It's really cool how people drive through it. They have social rituals and poems to maintain their reality, there are also laws about how frequently you can do it but some people get a pass and just go slowly insane over time, like the bus driver.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tolth posted:

I'm kind of confused. This appears to be a white guy beating up another white guy? Am I missing something?

Schlubby middle aged guy spin-kicking a shirtless racist, admittedly not a hugely built one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Very existentially.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

They can't. They throw airships into the pale and let them float through. The cars are parked inside the airship. It is like driving a car from one continent to the other and taking a ferry across the ocean.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

SimonChris posted:

They can't. They throw airships into the pale and let them float through. The cars are parked inside the airship. It is like driving a car from one continent to the other and taking a ferry across the ocean.

why ship the drivers? they ain't got drivers in mundi?

the paledriver really makes it sound like she drives on roads.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

https://www.engadget.com/disco-elysium-working-class-update-070836928.html

:golfclap:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Let me know when there’s an EGA version I can play on my 1986 Tandy.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just bought this game on sale and went through the Advanced Race Science dialogue and laughed so hard at the hotep who phrenologied himself over a homeland he'd only heard of on the radio

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The failed goblin radio game struck me as basically stumbling into the current technology's idea of a MUD, but seemed like a riff on things like Star Citizen and Daikatana. Though I imagine indie game devs know a thing or two about devs getting absurdly overambitious in inverse proportion to their available resources and skills.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

going by what Motorway South describes, what Joyce explains and what the skills say when you look up the world map at the bookstore, there are "layers" or levels of intensity. The Paledriver mentions routes as well, so there is definitely a cartographic perception that is applicable to it. She even mentions that she is a longhaulswoman, not just a driver, which probably refers to the drivers who go through those ways.

Probably they "skim" along an outer layer of pale where physics gives in a tad to allow for inter-isola travel (so you know, newtonian stuff works) but that is enough to mess up with the mental state of anyone involved already, so you need to work with that. Routes in deeper Pale might allow for shorter travel because of a greater bending of rules, perhaps?

(again, Motorway South and maps: go along enough and you disappear into "pure mathematics", until even numbers don't make sense anymore and then, welp)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The failed goblin radio game struck me as basically stumbling into the current technology's idea of a MUD, but seemed like a riff on things like Star Citizen and Daikatana. Though I imagine indie game devs know a thing or two about devs getting absurdly overambitious in inverse proportion to their available resources and skills.

"Wirral Untethered" seems like a direct reference to Camelot Unchained, a game that is never coming out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What the pale really makes me think of is dark matter, which is completely unseeable and untouchable but nonetheless makes up the vast majority of the mass of the known universe. Also the description of the isolas makes me think of the overarching structure of the universe, which is large strands of galaxies separated by giant voids of absolutely loving nothing:

Probably not what they were going for, but it's what the descriptions make me think of.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

dead gay comedy forums posted:

going by what Motorway South describes, what Joyce explains and what the skills say when you look up the world map at the bookstore, there are "layers" or levels of intensity. The Paledriver mentions routes as well, so there is definitely a cartographic perception that is applicable to it. She even mentions that she is a longhaulswoman, not just a driver, which probably refers to the drivers who go through those ways.

Probably they "skim" along an outer layer of pale where physics gives in a tad to allow for inter-isola travel (so you know, newtonian stuff works) but that is enough to mess up with the mental state of anyone involved already, so you need to work with that. Routes in deeper Pale might allow for shorter travel because of a greater bending of rules, perhaps?

(again, Motorway South and maps: go along enough and you disappear into "pure mathematics", until even numbers don't make sense anymore and then, welp)

i never got this thought in my playthrough, it was exactly what i was missing, thank you. i guess i did know that the isolas do have location relative to each other, and that pre-historic interinsola travel probably happened, with traditional "non-technological" techniques, like polynesian navigation.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

From what I understood, the Pale is an area of non-reality where physics gradually stop applying, and which tends to drive people insane by simultaneously delivering sensory deprivation and flooding them with lingering memories. Through certain rituals, it's possible to impose order and substance on this area, making it effectively like water. This seems to be how the very first explorers travelled to other isolas: steadily calming the Pale, and good ol' fashioned navigation. The exposure is still pretty bad.

And then there's aircraft. I'm not quite sure how that one works. There's mention that airplanes can't just fly through the Pale, since things like Bernoulli's principle eventually stop applying, so the idea is probably that airplanes are loving LAUNCHED a certain distance until they reach areas where flight is possible. Or, and that's just a guess, flights can actually go high enough to travel over the Pale, almost leaving the atmosphere altogether.

Obviously, while possible to a limited degree, air transport is not an option for most goods, so the world of Disco Elysium probably has huge vessels for container transport which can still travel the Pale. Or it's all by lorry driver, which means smaller vessels.

tl;dr: Imagining the logistics of an international, globalized world with giant pockets of unreality inbetween is kinda fascinating

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"globalization" is an interesting word when i don't know for certain that a globe is involved

e: actually i retract that, joyce says something about "orbital" flight and the "disk" of the world

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 13, 2020

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

so the idea is probably that airplanes are loving LAUNCHED a certain distance until they reach areas where flight is possible

that seems to be the case indeed: Joyce talks about how rotorships, which seems to be specialized aircraft for that role, are very fast, but because they go right through zones in deeper pale, they can only keep going due to inertia; so if you miss, bye ship and everything in it

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

"globalization" is an interesting word when i don't know for certain that a globe is involved

e: actually i retract that, joyce says something about "orbital" flight and the "disk" of the world

That was the quote I was looking for. Orbital flight could imply that they indeed have almost-spaceships, which manage to reach other isolas by going straight above it. Not usable for containers, but this is probably the standard for civilian travel.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They're having a lot of trouble reaching orbit because the world probably isn't a globe anymore.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also there's the whole thing about how they bounce radio waves through the pale and that somehow makes it navigable? Can't remember the exact quote or even who I was speaking to about it.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

WhatEvil posted:

Also there's the whole thing about how they bounce radio waves through the pale and that somehow makes it navigable? Can't remember the exact quote or even who I was speaking to about it.

might be from ruby talking about the pale emitter setup she has?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Doc Hawkins posted:

Of course there's a giant ball! Where else are the evil apes going to duke it out?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Glazius posted:

Of course there's a giant ball! Where else are the evil apes going to duke it out?

yeah i remembered that too :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Glazius posted:

The disco ball, duh.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I took it that the world of Disco is a holographic image on a CD. Literally a disc world. It was different before it was uploaded to this physical media.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Well I just picked up Pathologic 2 on this thread's advice and it's blowing my mind. I don't know how I feel about the approach being so esoteric and vague - feels like the poor sales might come from that feeling of being utterly lost - but it's so satisfying as I figure out what's happening each day. It's like a stage adaptation as the narrative framework, as a commentary on fate/agency? The events are real but the theater is also real (inasmuch as anything in a game in real?) I recognized the masks from a Greek Chorus breaking the fourth wall. I'm piecing together bits of the philosophy and language, and feeling pretty accomplished about that (I like how my optional dialogues serve as exposition even when I don't choose them), but there's still so much I don't know. Like why the gently caress the laws of physics are different and no one cares. As a 'mystery' it feels like the backwards version of Disco Elysium, where it was more like a slow detachment. I started off pretty sure I was in France, then maybe a fictionalized country, then I saw Kim's car parked outside and got a little more confused. Then came the thousands of years of world history (then days after that, the Pale...) so I was slowly being reeled away as I was getting more comfortable. Pathologic drops you right into the ocean. I'm not sure whether I like that more or less.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

FalconImpala posted:

Well I just picked up Pathologic 2 on this thread's advice and it's blowing my mind. I don't know how I feel about the approach being so esoteric and vague - feels like the poor sales might come from that feeling of being utterly lost - but it's so satisfying as I figure out what's happening each day. It's like a stage adaptation as the narrative framework, as a commentary on fate/agency? The events are real but the theater is also real (inasmuch as anything in a game in real?) I recognized the masks from a Greek Chorus breaking the fourth wall. I'm piecing together bits of the philosophy and language, and feeling pretty accomplished about that (I like how my optional dialogues serve as exposition even when I don't choose them), but there's still so much I don't know. Like why the gently caress the laws of physics are different and no one cares. As a 'mystery' it feels like the backwards version of Disco Elysium, where it was more like a slow detachment. I started off pretty sure I was in France, then maybe a fictionalized country, then I saw Kim's car parked outside and got a little more confused. Then came the thousands of years of world history (then days after that, the Pale...) so I was slowly being reeled away as I was getting more comfortable. Pathologic drops you right into the ocean. I'm not sure whether I like that more or less.

Please post more about your journey through pathologic, I love reading people's reaction to it. The thread is here if you want it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889956

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

what i remember about pathologic's setting is that it takes place in The Countryside of The Country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

As someone who loves both, P2 and DE have a very interesting tension to me. I know zaum and ice pick lodge are big fans of each other in IRL which makes a lot of sense and is very cute- for all their surface level similarities they have almost diametrically opposed philosophies as game projects.

P2 is more wildly ambitious but more clearly flawed. DE is almost perfect, but it achieves perfection by keeping the scope of what it attempts very narrow and controlled. It probably says a lot about a person which one speaks to them more